Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Aurora Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    Kayaman, I'd try to confirm that the voltage really hits 15.5 and is not just an instrumentation issue. If it does, that is above the max allowable, I believe. It may be that the voltage regulator on the alternator has failed, and it is very unlikely to be related to the battery. I would get this fixed soon so that no electronics are damaged from the extra volts.
  • Ill make sure that the voltage is actual. What is the best way to check the voltage? At the alt itself ?
  • the other day my fuse blew out and I replaced it . it ran fine but today during a rain storm of coarse.it blew again . I changed the fuse about 5 times . "yes they are 25's". If the wiper motor is gone will this trip the fuse ?
    I think you could use the remote battery posts, the ones used for jumping the car. Just hook a voltmeter up to them.
  • I am trying to refer a 96 aurora owner to an good tech for repairs. I have found it hard to find someone that is qualified to work on problems that are particular to the auroras. I have given them the link to your web site and hopefully they will research some of the problems.
    The southern Calif. areas I am looking for a mechanic are the Playa del Rey, Hollywood, or sherman Oaks Calif.
    I did find a good dealer tech in Northern calif if anyone needs the name. It is in Napa, CA.
    Thank you for the help.
    Don
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    Okay, I hope all the regulars of the Aurora topics can help me out. I can now categorize discussions so that it is easier for members to find the proper place to post their question or find info. Unfortunately, I can only choose three categories. Out of the list below, which ones do you think would be the most appropriate for "Aurora Owners: Problems & Solutions".

Auto Body
    Brakes
    Electric
    Engine
    Exhaust
    Fuel
    Interior
    Oil
    Paint
    Steering
    Suspension
    Transmission

Thanks for your help!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    for all of the above.
    Well, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "categorize". If you are going to split this discussion into 3, then I'd say one of them should be a catch-all. In that case I'd say:

1) Engine: because it can include fuel, exhaust, and some electrical, and sort of transmission (Maybe "Powertrain" instead).
    2) Suspension: because this can sort of include brakes and steering (maybe "Body Control" or something instead)
    3) Catch-all

If you are doing some other type of split or something, then I'd replace "Catch-all" with
    3) Auto Body: as this can sort of include interiors, paint, glass, sunroof stuff, etc.

Just my opinion. :)
  • garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    I'll second that last post.
  • Hi all-
    I am new to California.

Can anyone recommend a good dealership/repair center in the Playa del Rey or Los Angeles area ?

I am new here and I am getting a massive run around from the regular GM dealers. I had a writer tell me I needed a new transmission today.. and he hadn't even seen the car.

Also, can anyone recommend a decent place to get a smog check. Apparently, smog check is just code for "make you get repairs you don't need" out here.

I know there have to be a few good people out here. Please let me know if you know of any.

I have the Northstar engine with the 4T80E tranny
    Thanks in advance
  • larryfllarryfl Posts: 214
    rjs' suggestion.
  • 95 Aurora.....
    Guys, i get this problem at idle but only when its in D or R. The RPM normally sits at at 800 but it can drop suddenly to 500 for a second or so then back to 800..
    I also notice that when i start the car it automatically revs out to 1000-1200 then settles down to 800 ...
    If i put the car in P then the idle problem is non evident.

Any clues would be great.

Have read about the FPR, and changing the wires and plugs but the problem seems to have come on suddenly not gradually.

Thanks
  • sounds like the typical aurora problem, if you havent already (u have a 95 so it probably has higher miles), its time to replace you're igntion system. plugs, wires, and coils. I had the same prob. and it cured the sudden drop in rpms in drive or park (mine lurched pretty bad too, does yours do this as well?) and a hesition from around 40-55.

I believe that when you start the aurora, it revs to find the correct idle position as every aurora I've been in does this.
    In Park, there is no load on the engine, so it turns at a bit higher rpm. In Drive/Reverse, the tranny is putting a load on it. This is probably why you notice the problem then. Sounds like a fuel or electronic prob, as was said.
  • javidoggjavidogg Posts: 366
    The same as :

Well, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "categorize". If you are going to split this discussion into 3, then I'd say one of them should be a catch-all. In that case I'd say:

1) Engine: because it can include fuel, exhaust, and some electrical, and sort of transmission (Maybe "Powertrain" instead).
    2) Suspension: because this can sort of include brakes and steering (maybe "Body Control" or something instead)
    3) Catch-all

If you are doing some other type of split or something, then I'd replace "Catch-all" with
    3) Auto Body: as this can sort of include interiors, paint, glass, sunroof stuff, etc.

Same as rjs200240.

Peace.

Http://www.cardomain.com/id/javidogg
    I thought you meant that the discussion would remain one thread but could be searched for under three diffrent categories.

Personally, I dont think the discussion should be split. I think the catch all of Auto Body should be used it the discussion must be renamed.

If on the other hand, I am wrong with my reading, I vote with RJS.

Henri
  • It does not lurch at 40-50. I guess my real concern is that it has happened suddenly not gradually . If it was a degraded wire or plug then i would imagine a slow demize. Thanks for your help..

Cheers
    Liesis888
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    "Problems & Solutions" will remain as one. If you look at the top of the page next to "What is this discussion about?", I have added the three suggested categories. I've put in a request to management for more options. Hopefully, I'll hear soon if this is possible.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• youngcyoungc Posts: 5
    My heat works, but it does not blow. I blows sometimes, but if I hit a pothole or something, it stops working. Hit another pothole and it begins to work. I was wondering what could be loose, or needs to be replaced. I took the blower motor out and gave it a bench test. It works fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • I have a 1995 Aurora that i purchased with about 111,000 miles on it about six months ago. I had absolutely no problems with the car until about a month ago. Now my car seems to be miss-shifting. On the highway it seems to shift in and out of overdrive everytime you do as much as touch the accelerator. It does this between 30-35 mph, 50-55 mph, and 70-75 mph. It also idles incorrectly and slams into gear very hard in the morning when i first start the car. I brought it to my mechanic and he said it might have something to do with the idle control motor so i paid $200 for a brand new one. This did not solve the problem. I took it back and my mechanic and he told me that the idle motor needs to be adjusted just right for it to work properly. I have had it back 6 or 7 times since then and still, no luck. I personally dont think that the problem has anything to do with the idle control motor. I think it may be a censor in the tranny, but i wouldnt know which one. If anyone has any idea about what the problem could be, or if you have any suggestions i would much appreciate it.
    Is not adjustable. The PCM will adjust it. Also, it is used for idling... When you are driving, it does nothing. If your tranny is shifting hard, there is probably something wrong in it. It may not be a big deal, or it may be.
  • Yea, I had the same problem that you and mushroom had. Just a funny little hicup during idle. Replacement wires and plugs did the trick for me. Delco wires and plugs all the way.

-Brian
  • Greetings, I just purchased a 1999 Aurora and am experiencing a hesitation problem. It occurs intermitently, usually upon acceleration. If i acclerate easier it doesnt feel as bad. Also, it doesn't happen all the time. On two occasions it actually made a popping sound from the intake.I changed the fuel filter and have run 2 bottles of techron fuel injection cleaner, in two full tanks and still have the problem. If im cruising on the parkway at 60mph, its barely noticeable, maybe a shudder here and there....any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks, Mike
    ps. the car only has 55000 miles on it.
  • most likely it is a ignition problem. A wire/coil/plug. I'd first pull a wire at a time off the coil and look for corrosion, if they are not all shiney clean them up with a little emory cloth (sand paper (fine)) and see if it comes back after a short time of no probs you know what is wrong.
  • I have a problem starting my car, it seems it develops after the car has sat for around 2 hours. I have absoultey no problem starting it over night or just after shutting it off. Which leaves me really boggled because it would seem like after 2 hours things would have cooled down enough. It did it just a few times a while back and yesterday after I replaced the coils and the fuel filter Sat. and the car is RUNNING great. Anyone have any ideas?
  • garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    I remember starting problems often being related to the fuel pressure regulator (FPR). It supposedly can be a cheap easy do-it-yourselfer as well.
    I oersonally think it is a sensor. My 95 did the slaming shift changes and it was a tranny sensor that went bad. I dont rememger it being expensive. Perhaps you should just go to an Olds or Caddy dealer that you trust. they have probably seen the problem before.
    Henri
  • I probably should have described the problem lol. The engine just turns-over, and maybe after the second or third time it barely starts. It sounds and feels horrible. Its like maybe a cylinder or two get going and they drag the rest of the engine into starting.

From what you said garnes, it defintely sounds like it could be the FPR seening how the electrical part of the engine is working fine.
  • i recently had a number of problems with my '95 aurora. my gas mileage had dropped drastically and my idle was very rough among other things. i took it in and the mechanic switched out my coils, plug wires, and replaced my fuel pressure regulator, and now she runs like a dream.
    the only problem is that now i seem to be having trouble with hard starts. seemingly THE one thing i didn't have a problem with before i took it in.
    since it seems the universal solution in previous posts has been the FPR, is there something else that i could look to seeing as how i just had that replaced?
    she doesn't have any problem cranking, it just seems like she's not getting the fuel she needs. any suggestions?
    thanks all....
  • EXACTLY my problem,

however I havent yet replaced the FPR. Probably this weekend. Can someone guide me to finding it?

Also I notice the the thing on top of the throttle body on my car is really bad and one the lines was lose and off. It has two lines, looks like there's suppose to be a third? Anyone have an idea on what it is? If I had a better digi cam I'd show you but all I got was a white flash.