Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Aurora Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• mrdubyamrdubya Posts: 200
    well i got my kyb struts today. i also ordered the boots and strut mounts well, what said was a strut mount. what i got was spring seats, somthing im sure i didn't even need. the picture shows a mount, the box says a mount, but there's a sticker on it that says spring seat, and thats what it is. a circle piece of plastic and a piece of rubber....this is bs.

the strut mount IS what alot of you are suggesting my problem is, right? is it a metal piece with ball bearings and three bolts on top of it? thats what the pic looks like. from what i can tell, the upper strut mount is $78 a piece from rockauto . com. so i should order this, right? anything else i should get? i should be calling tire rack to complain, i spent $50 on some mis-advertised piece of plastic.
    i see rockauto also sells "dorman" brand, they have the strut mounts for $50 a piece, so another $100+, anything else i should order too?

thanks
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Posts: 573
    MyGMLink has an 8-page .pdf file about the recall ID 04014. It includes all 95-97 Auroras. This file was not there yesterday. It includes information about reimbursement for repairs already made. What was there yesterday said something about 1.5 days to repair. Today's file says 1 hour.

Hope this helps.

Les
  • 95mushroom95mushroom Posts: 230
    The spring seats you got from tirerack, did you look at the pic on thier website? I ordered the struts, boots and mounts from tirerack too. I really hope I dont get the spring seats too. I looked at the pic and they are definetly strut mounts not spring seats. Maybe someone switched your boxes. Darn, I'm kinda depressed now I might get spring seats.

Why did you go w/monroes instead of ac delco's? They sound like truck shocks, might they be stiffer? They're white too, if I go w/them I'm going to paint them silver to match the kybs.

Lastly, does anyone know the spring rates of the STS vs. the Aurora? If they're stiffer, they'd bolt right up, right?
  • ethinkethink Posts: 32
    On Wednesday, June 2, MyGMLink had information that my 1996 Aurora was covered by the 04014 Fuel Rail Recall.

The PDF files were link were displayed, but when I clicked on the PDF icons, there was nothing in the PDF files!

Today, June 3, MyGMLink has NO information about the recall!

Strange.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Document ID# 1522412

Product Safety - Engine Fuel Rail-Replace #04014 - (05/26/2004)
    1996-1997 Oldsmobile Aurora

This bulletin will be revised when service parts become available to add 1995 Oldsmobile Aurora and 1995-1997 Cadillac DeVille, Seville and Eldorado model vehicles.

Condition
    General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in all 1996-1997 Oldsmobile Aurora model vehicles. These vehicles have a condition in which the original equipment nylon tubing used in the fuel rail construction may degrade and crack. Cracking of the fuel rail can result in a fuel leak into the engine compartment. The operator may experience fuel odor and possibly engine stalling due to loss of fuel pressure to the engine. If this event were to occur, and if an ignition source were present, an engine compartment fire could occur.

Correction
    Dealers are to inspect and, if necessary, replace the engine fuel rail with a new stainless steel fuel rail.

Vehicles Involved
    Involved are all 1996-1997 Oldsmobile Aurora model vehicles; and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year Division Model From Through

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora T4100001 T4124133
    1997 Oldsmobile Aurora V4100001 V4127927

Important
    Dealers should confirm vehicle eligibility through GMVIS (GM Vehicle Inquiry System) before beginning recall repairs.

For US
    For dealers with involved vehicles, a Campaign Initiation Detail Report containing the complete Vehicle Identification Number, customer name and address data has been prepared and will be loaded to the GM DealerWorld, Recall Information website. Dealers that have no involved vehicles currently assigned will not have a report available in GM DealerWorld......

Parts Information
    Parts Pre-Ship Information - For US

Important
    An initial supply of Rail Kits and Seal Kits required to complete this program will be pre-shipped to involved dealers of record. This pre-shipment is scheduled to begin the week of May 24, 2004 and will be approximately 15% of each dealer's involved vehicles. Pre-shipped parts will be charged to dealer's open parts account.

Additional parts, if required, are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO=Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO=Customer Special Order.

Yada, yada, yada................
    you will get the spring seats. look closely at the website, on the side it says "front upper spring seats" or somthing to that effect. its complete bs, because it says "strut mount" and shows a picture of a strut mount. i ended up going to checkers for the real strut mount kit, both cost me $138 after tax, and i have to wait till monday. i think ill call tire rack and complain, that is really shady advertising.

i went with the monroe sensatracs because someone had posted here, or maybe gmforums that they were a tad firmer than oem. the white does kinda suck, maybe ill paint them silver too, wonder what kind of paint to get. or maybe just paint the kyb's white too. i dont want to sound ricey, but id at least like them to match.
  • ethinkethink Posts: 32
    My dealer just called me that the fuel rail recall parts had arrived this morning (Friday, June 4).

GM estimates this to be a (1) hour job in terms of labor.
  • pizza442pizza442 Posts: 110
    Grab us those part#s, ethink! At least I can order the part and have another mechanic put it on as the dealer is saying that unless the part description mentions 95, they can't put it on for liability reasons. This might be my best shot at least getting reimbursed later. I really think it will be a problem if I ask for reimbursement for having to put on a new, old-style rail and then later have them put on a stainless recall rail (if/when 95s are added) and expect them to be willing to pay for both repairs.
  • gisomgisom Posts: 144
    I thought that us guys with the 95's were the only ones that had broken rails. It cost me over $500 to get mine repaired and the 95's are not on the original recalls. That sounds crazy.

Greg
    anyone know how to change the rear height of the car? i need to know how to adjust the airshock leveling system.

monday i will be getting the final part needed (front strut mounting/bearing kit) in addition to the struts, im installing eibach lowering springs. so the rear height will be about 1" lower than stock. anyone know how to adjust the rear level? any specifics would be awesome

cant wait to get rid of the typical gm car "on stilts" look :D
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Posts: 573
    After seeing a May 2004 recall notice on MyGMLink on 6/3, I called my dealer 6/4. Spoke to the service guy who told me it wasn't a recall yet because he had no information and no parts; he expected parts July-August. Then I called Olds Customer Assistance, 800-630-65370. The woman I spoke with claimed no knowledge of the recall, but she would check on it. Then she asked if it would be OK to put me on hold while she contacted my dealer. I said 'sure.' After a few minutes, she bridged me on with the same dealership service guy I had spoken to 15 minutes earlier. He asked to schedule a service visit next week, mumbling something about parts kits coming in soon. I have an appointment on June 14 for the recall repair.

Today, Saturday, June 5, I received in the mail a recall notice from GM. It is very similar to the one on MyGMLink except it specifies "all 1997 model year Olmobile Aurora vehicles." The notice on MyGMLink states "all 1995-1997 model year Olmobile Aurora vehicles."
  • mike98cmike98c Posts: 293
    You can replace the rod under the rear seat part of the chassis that connects to the square box on the control arm and to the body above with a threaded rod like I did or you could just cut the rod in two pieces with a inch or more out of the center and use a two inch split bushing with the rod ends inserted the appropriate amount into the bushing and clamped. The length of the rod determines the height the air shocks hold the rear body at above the suspension.
    ok, i sorta get it :P. thanks! ill take a look tomorrow when im installing it. to make it easier to find, is this on the drivers side?

so you dropped your aurora? or just the back? you dont remember what size (thickness) or how long the bar you replaced it with was, do you? or what type of threading? i could pick this stuff up after work tomorrow, but i cant go anywhere once its started till its done.

thanks again
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    Hello:
    Remember during last winter when I said I could not get the heat to work in the aROARa? That it only blew heat out of the passenger side vents. The other vents blew cold air (presumably from the cold temperatures outside).

Well Hello! Now the air conditioner will not work cause it will only blow cold air out of the passenger side vents. The other vents blow hot air (presumably from the hot temperatures outside).
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    I am going to the dealer tomorrow. What do you think the chances are that the dealer will re-repair the car without charge since it sounds like the same problem all overe again.

Predictions?????????
    henry, turn the heat on, that will get you your cold air :P

sorry, i have no idea.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Henri, I believe that's what happens when your AC system is low on refrigerant. If that's not the problem, then it's the "blend box" where the hot and cool air are mixed, depending upon your temperature setting. Seems to me that problems with this was a common issue with the '95's.

Let us know the outcome.

--Robert
    my A/C doesn't work either, didn't last summer either. i dont think its engaging, but i havn't really looked into it ive got more important stuff to fix (suspension tomorrow, radiatior/bumper next month?? im definatly not driving this in the winter, parking it

its nice to have windows to roll down :P
  • mike98cmike98c Posts: 293
    I went with trial and error on the thickness of the bar I transferred the black plastic ends to. The replacement threaded bar stock screws into the threaded spacer in the center of the two pieces of bar stock. Thats why if I did it over again I would use the split one inch bushing so I wouldn't have to disconnect an end to make adjustments. I took out less than 3/4inch from the length to start with. I'm not sure what length I finally ended up with. Now I,m waiting for a used compressor that I ordered because the old compressors return fitting broke off the body.