Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Aurora Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lee_wlee_w Posts: 239
    Hi, thought you might find more information and conversation on this topic in Maintanance or Repair Board.
  • Just bought my '96 Aurora.

Silver Teal Metallic exterior w/matching interior
    Autobahn package
    103k miles
    Bose Sound w/12 CD changer
    Everything else BUT heated seats
    Tires in okay condition
    Interior near perfect (slight rubbing on shifter)
    All electrical works
    Exterior paint in GOOD condition, some minor rock chips on front; coupe rubs on rear bumper
    All Glass good

Paid 4700

Will replace rear air shocks and plugs and wires in next few months.

Greg
  • 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora

Planning to get a Certified 2001 3.5L V6 Olds Aurora (one owner, off lease) with:

25,000 miles,

silver color,

leather,

CD player,

On star,

moon roof,

dual zone hvac,

power seats,

remote start

for $12,000.

Is this a good price?

The sales manager is asking $1,200 w/ $100 deductable for a 3yr/30000miles bumper-to-bumper GM warranty...seems pricy to me...

Many many thanks!
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Call Oldsmobile at 800-442-OLDS and give them the VIN number. They'll be able to tell you if the 5yr/60k mile warranty is still available on the vehicle.

If so, and you want to extend it, I'd get pricing from Capper Auto Center (Iowa) and Black Pontiac Cadillac (I think http://www.gmoutlet.com). Then go back to your dealer.

Just make sure they're offering you a GM warranty, not a third-party one.

--Robert
  • Thanks Robert,

I checked with 800-442-6537(olds) and they say that the original warranty has already expired. I will call them again and get more details..
  • lee_wlee_w Posts: 239
    Smart Shopper has discussions about warranty issues. You may find that board helpful.

Smart Shopper
  • Well I had my 96 for almost 3 years to the day when some light snow was falling and a driver decided to do some 360's and I got caught between him and the guardrail...over $10,000 to fix. I loved the car I bought it with 100,000 miles and it went to the grave with about 200,000 ..Never grave me trouble with the exception of brakes and a wheel bearing...so what to do...I bought a 97 on Ebay..and am very happy again....$4500us with everything (Bose,sunroof etc)....Imported from Florida.If anyone has any questions about bringing US cars into the Canada.....ask..It is a bit of a pain but worth it.especialy flying down to pick it up and squeezing some golf in before heading back.
  • alarming9alarming9 Posts: 10
    I have had mine for 5 years. Bought it with 49000. Purchased a 150k 5 year service contract. Thank the good lord I did. I have maintained and pampered this car like a baby. It's been nothing but hell. Over $5000.00 has been put into the car: The engine, cooling system, oil lines, gaskets, abs sensors, wheel bearings, front struts, water pump, radiator, alternator (50k), turn signal switch, window module, AC compressor twice (cannot buy a new one, they only put in remanufactured parts for warranty repairs). You will have to mortgage the house if you need the oil pan gasket replaced. $850.00 total. The part was $15 and the labor $835.00. Well being that I put new Michelins, new brakes and rotors, the car has 140K. I will keep it until it turns to dust. Oh, I fully expect the tranny to blow up right after my service contract expires in September.
    My dealer told me the silicone tabs were bs and not needed.
    Yea, mine is a bear to start on cold mornings. Make sure you have a newer battery for those long cranking sessions. I replaced my battery last November (8 years), Must be purchased from a GM dealership. Got prices from 115 to 175. got it for 115. Save time and order a new vent tube. The old one will crack as soon as you try to remove it. Olds do not hold their value. I bought my 97 with 47K for $17,000.00 Had a sticker of 38 2.5 years old off a lease. Anybody own an Autobahn package? Need a VIN so I can get a computer.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    My dealer told me the silicone tabs were bs and not needed.

The sealant tabs I am referring to are actually made from crushed walnut shells. And, I've seen lots of mechanics state how important it is to use these sealant tabs on aluminum-based engines like the Northstars...

--Robert
  • jerdfxjerdfx Posts: 13
    Hi all new to the forum here. I just bought a 1996 olds aurora about 4 months ago. I paid 5200 for it out the door at a local used car place. It has 75 k on it. It is light blue in color and has dark blue leather. It has the crome wheels and the heated leather seats.

Ever since the first day I drove a aurora I wanted one. I looked at a 95 with 65 k on it but it had a bad tranny. I was told after I bought the car it needed a tune up. The check engine light was on. They did a tune up for me and it was fine. A few days later the light came back on. I decided to take it to my mechanic to see what the deal was. He put it on his diagnostics and it was coming up random cylinders misfiring. He replaced some seals for me witch I can't recall what they are called. He said I was losing air.

All was fine for about 2 months. The car was running like a champ. I don't drive this car that much. About 100 miles a week. The check engine light came back on. I took it to my mechanic again and he hooked it up to his diagnostics. It was coming up my number 7 cylinder was misfiring. He looked over the whole car and said they did a cheap tune up on it.

He said I have a bad wire most likely. It has these wires called baiden I think in there. I never heard of them. Do you guys think this is my problem. I was going to get new wires plugs fuel filter and air filter.

What parts would you guys recomend. I was going to get a K&N filter or there is a slightly cheaper one that is green. I don't know the brand. It might just be green brand. Would it make any difference in horsepower. I have done tune ups on small 4 cylinder cars and have put air filters and fuel filters on them also. How hard is it to tune up a aurora.

Sorry for it being so long. Any help or ideas would be great guys. I will ask more once someone replies.

Thanks again Jeremy
  • reuel3reuel3 Posts: 114
    Since this forum is primarily for people who have just purchased or are considering purchasing a vehicle, your question is better suited for another forum. Check out these discussions:

Oldsmobile Aurora Owners: Care & Maintenance

Oldsmobile Aurora Owners: Problems & Solutions
  • jkwohiojkwohio Posts: 1
    Just bought a 1999 Aurora paid $6500 for it and it has only 76,000 miles on it. I will pick it up tomorrow. Can't wait! Fell in love with it the first time I saw it. It is black with tan interior. Matter of fact while I was having my mechanic check out the car, a gentleman pulled up and offered to buy it. I have owned foreign cars for years and if someone would have told me that I would buy an Olds, I would have told them that they were insane. I have read a lot about the problems on repairing an Aurora, but after owning a Sonata and having to remove the air intake manifold to replace the back 3 spark plugs, I don't think the Aurora is that bad.
  • do you still have the car if so plz reply
  • This doesn't make me feel good. Had my '97 11 months now. Replaced a/c compressor, 2 alternators (second on warranty), belt pullys. Wish I'd bought the extended warranty.
  • I recently bought a 97 aurora with only 43,000 on it for 5500 :P . little paint bubble under the hood, other then that the black exterior is pristine. Interior is two tone light/dark tan. rear seat looks like it was never used. interior is gorgeous, and the engine is spotless. I could not be any more pleased with the performance of this car, it is a luxury car on the high way, a great cruiser. But man when you hit the gas and whip it around corners i couldn't be more pleased. How can i tell if i have the autobahn package? any car and maint. i should consider. One thing is the rotors are warped, should i just get the OEM or upgrade to slotted? and my one seat is starting to crack, is this fix able?

Thanks all
    Evan
  • Evan,

Congratulations! And welcome to these discussion groups.

For autobahn, check the tire placard on the driver-side door. Standard Classics specify S-rated tires; autobahn option specifies a higher speed rating (V, I think).

The strong recommendation from most contributors on this board is to use nothing other than AC Delco replacement parts. You can find reasonable prices online at rockauto and gmpartsdirect. Be prepared to replace your fuel pressure regulator; check the archives for FPR.

Check the battery under the rear seat. It should be vented to a plastic hose that exits through the floorpan. I also suggest you pull the spare tire; some of our cars have had water leakage problems that cause corrosion in the spare-tire well.

Last year I replaced my front rotors with AC Delco performance rotors (slotted and cross-drilled); also installed ceramic pads. That was about 8,000 miles ago. So far I am pleased. The brakes feel very solid. I do notice a slight increase in noise (hard to describe -- like a low-pitch rumble, nothing like squeeking).

Your seat crack -- is it the leather that is cracking? I don't know how to repair big cracks in leather. There are ocassionally used Aurora seats for sale on eBay. If the cracking is minimal, you might try taking you Aurora to a cobbler. Don't laugh. My rear seat had severe discoloration which my cobbler was able to redye for about $100. Excellent results. My driver seat is showing severe signs of wear; I will be taking it to the same cobbler when I can find a free Saturday. Also, your leather will benefit from regualr cleaning and application of conditioner.

Hope this helps.

Les
  • I just completed the purchase of 2002 Aroura 4.0 in Cherry with 18,000 original miles. I bought it from a private seller for a flat $13,000. At that price I can afford to keep my 95 Classic which has 97k miles and now have both generations parked out front. What a pleasant sight!
  • s2261s2261 Posts: 14
    I had 97 w/autobahn. My wife and I got pretty tired of the high maintenance costs and traded it in for a 2004 Regal. The Regal is OK. Not a bad car. Very Reliable. I miss my Aurora. I'm thinking about trading in the Regal on an Aurora. I would prefer a newer (2001 +) with around 50-60k on it. What do you think I can expect to pay? What year is most reliable? V6 or V8?
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.