Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pickups Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• konekone Posts: 19
    I have a chance to buy a 99 SE 4cyl automatic that has 112k highway miles but is PERFECT inside and out. Price is $5500. Would be driven by teenage son mostly. As a 3rd family car a truck would be nice for occasional hauling and off to college. I'm concerned about the limitations of the engine/transmission combo. I'm not looking to haul 2 ton of bricks but....

Should i play or pass?
  • irish24irish24 Posts: 43
    we recently turned in our 90 nissan se v6 king cab...got an 04 CC V6 we were in your position for the last 4 yrs and it's been a great vehicle. But for me...even tho we don't do any major hauling...I'd still opt for the V-6. You might also check to see if there's a major tuneup coming up...if you don't do the work yourself, it could add another 500. good luck
  • jablonka1jablonka1 Posts: 8
    My 1998 pickup has "ALL" the bells and whistles, but to install them after market would not be cost effective. I would suggest you buy another....decked out truck.
  • Hi.

I just bought a 2000 Nissan frontier and when I came out for work this morning, after some heavy overnight rains, there was a small puddle of water on the passenger side floor... apparently running down the door seam. Anyone have experience with this... experience with fixing this? Thanks.

Daniel.
  • ediamiamediamiam Posts: 17
    check the weatherstripping on the door, it may be cut, twisted, missing. compare it to the left side which i assume does not leak. on my 2000 frontier, its slightly folder in on top, but still forms a good seal.
  • ediamiamediamiam Posts: 17
    Moving into the 5th year of Frontier ownership, some of the lack of quality control nuances are beginning to bug me. The truck is parked outside - I just noticed the headliner is sagging, some type of plastic shell covered with felt. Apparently the glue/epoxy has broken loose, and now it sags. The carpeting was never a good fit, with parts of it lifting off the floor; rubber stripping that was never quite right, little piddly stuff. Only consolation is the mechanicals appear to be solid at this point.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    I have a 1997 XE with the standard cab and bed. Does anyone know if the compact spare can be replaced with a full size alloy wheel and standard size tire? I've obtained a fifth alloy wheel, and before I purchase a new tire for it I thought I'd ask this board. Thanks.
  • My frontier will start and run but as soon as you turn it off it will not start again for awhile has anybody had this problem and would you let me know what it is this truck is used in my work and I need it on the road as fast as possible thanks
  • I have a misfire in cylinder 4. It is not continuous and 2 Nissan dealerships cannot diagnose
    it. I have replaced spark plug wires and distributor cap. Truck has 150,000 miles, but otherwise runs well. Any suggestions?
  • Might be an easy fix there daddy-o.

Could be the neutral safety switch. If it is and automatic, make sure it is all the way in park. Also try starting while it is in neutral. Might be the cause. Also check you battery cables for corrosion. Hope this helps!
  • Nissan in Australia have a program to replace #4 spark plug wire. I think it is routed differently
  • I have a 2004 frontier 4 cly with 5500 miles on it. Tow weeks ago I had the oil changed. The shop that did the work put in about a quart too much oil. I drove the truck about 225 miles before noticing. THis is the second time the shop put too much oil in. The first time they put about 1/2 quart too much and said it would'nt hurt anything, so I drove it till change time came again. This morning I had them drain the excess oil till it was on the full mark.

The shop manager said they won't take responsibility if something should go wrong with the engine. It runs fine, but I worry there will be problems ahead, and Nissan will find some way not to cover it. Can any harm have been done to it? I checked and found no leaks or oil anywhere. What would you do if something like this happened to you.
  • I just recently purchased a 02 4WD XE which has the standard Dark Gray/Black plastic wheel mouldings and front bumper. Really like the body color mouldings on the SC models better. Has anybody ever heard of or tried to have these moulding pieces painted the same as the body color? Didn't know if the plastic was the same material on the XE as on the SC and if this could be painted.
  • I HAVE A 03 NISSAN FRONTIER SC 4 WHEEL DRIVE CREW CAB.WHEN I GO UP HILLS WITH THE CRUISE AND THE GAS KICKS IN TO SPEED UP THE TRUCK. THE ENGINE REMAINS RUNNING AT 4000 RPM EVEN AFTER I GO OVER THE HILL AND BACK ON FLAT LAND.I TOOK I IT TO THE DEALER AND THEY SAID (THATS WHAT IT IS SURPOSE TO DO AND THE OWNERS MANUEL SAYS NOT TO USE THE CRUISE GOING UP HILLS) I CANNT BELIEVE THE TRUCK SURPOSE TO RUN THIS WAY.I HAVE BEEN DRIVING FOR 36 YEARS AND NEVER HAD A VEHICLE DO THIS. I CALL OTHER DEALER IN HILLY AREAS AND THEY NEVER HEARD OF IT AND NISSAN DOESNT WANT TO BOTHER WITH IT.AND JUST DOESNT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!!
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    hmm odd, I know mine on my trooper will stay in a lower gear after going over a hill but that's usually due to a slight uphill at first I thought it was spazzig but it was a result of the uphil i hit ever so slightly.

-mike
  • I have a 2000 Frontier that I bought in 2002 with 25K miles on the clock. Not too long after I bought it it developed a suspension clunk. I took it to the dealer and they had it for two days replacing something (I don't remember what exactly) and it was fine for about a year....then it developed the clunk again. I complained to the dealer but they said the repair lasted a year and I was SOL. I complained to Nissan with no satisfaction.

Anyways, I eventually took the truck to a Monroe to have them look at it. The 20 year old fellow told me that the stabilizer bar on the rear needed to be put back together, he did the work and didn't charge me a dime. I gave the kid $20 to buy himself a couple of lunches. A few months later the clunk returned. I'm going to try to tighten it up myself. My question: Anyone else seen this problem?

-Jay
  • I own a 2000 Desert Runner with 70k miles, bought brand new in 1999. No clunking, just rattling wheel center caps. Good luck.
  • I have the 2000 XE Frontier. Surprised to find that you have a rear stabilizer - I don't. A suspension problem I found on the front was a missing spacer between the nut and rubber bushing. The nut worked its way into the bushing, allowing a lot of slop in the handling. It hadn't gotten to a point where it was clunking on me. But I have already replaced the shocks all around, so that may have helped. The OEM shocks are crap.
  • jml1jml1 Posts: 1
    I have the same model truck as yourself and I used to work in the automotive field and the answer to your question is yes. You can paint them the same color as the body. The moldings are the same no matter what model frontier you have. They come from the manufacturer unpainted. If you are considering painting your moldings make sure you pick a reputable body shop. There is nothing worse than having the paint not match your truck. Let me know how it comes out and if you can, how much it costs.
  • I have the 4 cyl on my 2000 Frontier. To all you new purchasers, the engine didn't really loosen up until it hit about 10,000 miles. You start feeling the torque kick it about then. I'm at 37,000 now and the engine feels a lot stronger now. Something to look forward to. I've also heard the twincam 4 cyl is really tough on engine oil, hence I wouldn't wait for a 7500 mile oil change interval. I've been doing them about every 3333, but will probably up it to 4000-4500. I've also tried Mobil 1 Synthetic in 5w-30. For whatever reasons the my engine seems to consume that oil, and I switched back to regular dino oil, typically 5w-30 winter, 10w-30 summer.