Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pickups Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I brought a US Frontier to Canada. I just went out and bought an after market daytime running light kit (from ebay I think), and put it in. The kit wasn't too expensive -- maybe $45 US (I don't really remember) It's not too difficult to put in, or else a shop could do it for you -- any place that installs those auto start kits would be able to do it.

As for just turning your lights on, it ain't gonna work. It's not the crossing the border that's a problem, it's getting the vehicle registered and licenced in Canada that's the issue. (If all you are doing is driving about up here, don't worry about it, there's no law that says you have to have DRL to operate a vehicle here, just to licence it.) The vehicle has to pass a federal and provincial inspection to get licenced. The feds check for DRL. As far as I know, any kit works. They just check to see that the headlights are on when the ignition is on.
  • I've had this problem intermittently for about 4 months. You get in, press the brake pedal, and the shifter just doesn't move. Brought it to the dealer and he said "you must have just gotten something in it, it just needs a good cleaning out". Yeah, right. That didn't work, brought it back again and he said I need a whole new shifter assembly to the tune of $550. I just have this strange feeling it's like a $20 part and I don't need a whole new shift assembly. I've read about the ASCD brake switch. Could that be it and if so, how do I go about replacing. Cruise control seems to work fine and the three brake lights all come on when brake is depressed. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Hi everyone! Where are the spark plugs on a 2000 frontier. 4 cylinder. :confuse:
  • I have a 90 nissan pickup. It was missing really bad, and we changed the spark plugs and wires. It is running some smoother, but it is still idleing rough.

Any suggestions where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Julie
  • tholthol Posts: 5
    There are some salt deposits and corrosion around the battery of my ’98 Nissan Frontier 4WD. I sparyed the area with a solution of baking soda and rinsed well. I assume that the battery is deteriorating so I will soon change it.

But just to be sure I did not have an overvoltage problem I measured the voltage at the battery posts:
    Engine off: 13.1 V (OK)
    Engine idling: 14.90V
    Engine at 1500rpm: 14.92V

Are the 14.90 and 14.92V readings too high?

My shop manual says on pg. EL-30 (Trouble Diagnoses) that battery voltage at 1500rpm should be less than 15.5V which it is. However on page EL-32 the specifications say that regulated output voltage is 14.1 to 14.7V. I’m at 14.9. Is that a problem? Of course I used a cheap digital voltmeter but my experience has been that they are nonetheless fairly accurate.

The charge warning light does not indicate any malfunction. I read in the manual (pg EL-30) that the light is designed to detect overvoltage and will light up (which it does not).

Any suggestions on the 14.9V readings possibly being too high?
  • Hello, I have a 1998 Nissan Frontier and lately the instrumentaion works intermittenly, and when the ignition is turned off the, the temp gauge goes hot/cold and the speedometer reads 99999999 and stays lit up. This is also causing a power draw. Could this be a computer problem or a short. You help is appreciated.
  • We bought the above vehicle for our 16 year old son for Christmas (I can already hear the criticism).
    He backed into a concrete light pole at the local Kroger. The pole has a few flecks of black paint on it.
    Nationwide insurance has totaled it due to the extent of damage to the frame (the cab was fine).
    The adjustor is questioning why the damage is so severe b/c it doesn't appear that there was room for him to get the car up to enough speed to do the damage that it did! He was driving in reverse showing off his lousy turning radius. The damage is stunning. Most of you are guys. How was this possilbe? Does Nissan have some structure integrity issues or did my son do something incredibly stupid and flukey?
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    If he is, the Nissan did it's job engineering the structure of the truck.
    Frontier is SOLID. Nissan went above and beyond what is required and needed when they engineered the 2005 Frontier. The frame is fully boxed and based off of the frame used in the Titan full sized truck.

Does Nissan have structural integrity issues? No. Vehicles are designed to "total" the vehicle, not the humans when they are crashed.

Critcism won't change a decision already made.

All I can say is that I had to earn every penny used to purchase my vehicles and every penny to insure them and it is my belief that doing so improved my values, however, if someone would have given me a new vehicle when I was 16 I certainly would have been happy to drive it.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    Gotta agree with moparbad on the structural integrity of the new Gen Frontiers. Crawl under one and you'll see a very stout frame; it is indeed borrowed from Titan's specifications. If the frame was severely bent, something more than a light pole could also have truck paint on it. ;)
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Yo mommy, returning for an answer? Bottom line what you describe is impossible with either the Frontier or the Titan. Backing up into a pole will not cause the truck to be totaled unless of course the pole fell on the truck. Somethings fishy here and its not with the truck. :shades:
  • Could someone tell me what's wrong or causing the 1995 Nissan Pick up to overheat when the water pump and thermostat are newly replaced? At first, we thought, the parts were defective so we exchanged with a new one, but still after driven today, it still leaking/overheating. Pls. advise. Thanks.
    How old is the radiator? When was it last flushed?
  • Thanks for responding. My husband figured out it's the radiator so we're replacing it with a new one and hopefully the problem solved. Do appreciate your quick respond to my e-mail. God Bless you and your family. Thanks a lot again. Take care.
  • 4primadonna4primadonna Posts: 15
    Hubby just replaced new radiator/water pump/thermostat on his Nissan P/up and yet it's still giving him problem. Sometimes, thermostat not working right, and water is overflowing/leaking over the radiator. Took at the auto repair and mechanic didn't find anything wrong-Is there anything else that he should be checking or replacing parts that he's not aware of? P/U is really in good condition body/engine looks very clean but it's been acting up lately. Need advise from someone out there who really knows and expert on the maintenance and repair on Nissan P/Ups. Do appreciate the advise or ideas. Thank you.
    While he replaced the radiator, water pump, and thermostat he did not appear to backflush the engine to rid it of any contaminants or BLOCKAGES. If he has the equipement fine, if not take it to a radiator shop and have it backflushed with a water gun pressurized by an air compressor.
  • stavnerstavner Posts: 1
    Where is the key release button located on the 1995 Nissan pickup truck? The manual says I have one, but it doesn't show where it is.
    The regular key button is located next to the key. If you're talking about the overide button in case the ignition doesn't release your key it is located in the steering column.
  • warneywarney Posts: 10
    1996 Nissan King Cab XE 2.4L, manual transmission, 2wd, manufactured 6-96, 155,000 miles. Check engine light came on, went to Autozone and they plugged in the code reader which came up PO136, Oxygen Sensor 2, bank 1. Didn't have the sensor in stock so the error was reset and all good for a few days. Check engine light comes on again so back to Autozone, the fellow plugs in the code reader again and gets PO135, Oxygen sensor 1 bank 1, and some purge control valve error code, I forget the number. I am thinking something is not making a good connection for this thing to be giving all the error codes, called a trusted mechanic and he said to "check the fuse" which I will do. Oddly, PO136 didn't come up this time. I think there is a connector that needs some contact cleaner and would rather test that theory than start hanging new expensive parts on the Truck. Anyone any ideas what to do or where to look? I can see plenty of bad looking splices and butt connectors on the engine wiring harness, not good. Please advise any thoughts.
  • medfly3medfly3 Posts: 1
    I Just Purchased A 1994 Extended Cab 4X4 XE I4 2.4L 5-Speed Manual Transmission. Excellent Condition Only 90.000 Original Miles On It. Earlier Today I Was On The Freeway And Downshifted Into 4th And 4th Gear Is No Longer There! 1-2-3-5 And Reverse Are Still There. Any Suggestions, Help etc? Thanx
  • Car still giving me trouble. Mechanic just replaced new fuel pump/relay(???) and water pump was recently replaced as well and still the engine light comes on and the car jerked and sometimes it stall. Before it stall, it gives me warning, like car will jerk and then the speed decreases and can't pump the gas nor accelerate, it's just slowing down until it stop completely. When i tried to start it, it's starting but not going so i waited for few minutes. After 20-25 minutes it will start and go as if nothing happened. It does that occassinally and can't figure out what's wrong with it. Also, mechanic tried to replace the distributor with either rebuilt or new one, but the car rejecting the parts. It gotten worst than before, so mechanic put back the original one and it works. Pls. if someone out there who can diagnose the "illness" of this car, I will appreciate it and eternally grateful. Can't afford to take it to the dealer (too expensive) much less buy a new one???? Thank you.
    primetime