Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pickups Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 2005 Nissan I am having transmission problems from the radiator leaking into my transmission. I'm waiting to see if Nissan will take care of it.
  • jack_coljack_col Posts: 1
    Hello SuzyQ
    About 2 months ago I noticed that my heat would not warm up in my 2005 Nissan Frontier. I just hit 99k and I thought I had a thermostat issue however my local certified Nissan Dealer tells me different. They told me I have antifreeze in my transmission fluid. I was also told that one of the cooliant lines from the radiator probably has a crack in it and my transmission will soon go. I am starting to notice a little thump sound when I put the vehicle in gear. The Nissan dealer told me it would cost $3600 just for the radiator and new transmission. I know a guy that does transmissions and he said trans are expensive for these vehicles, so we are searching for a low mileage tran, its been 2 weeks and there doesnt seem to be anything available. The Nissan Dealer kind of slipped up when I asked how did you know to look at my transmission, and she said "oh we have been seeing alot of these lately". I asked: so you are seeing this in Frontiers and she said "no many different Nissan models with the same issue, it usually starts with the heat going out." So you may see your heat go out next. It apppears we are in the same boat here, and I would definitely like to stay in touch with you. Due to the age of the vehicle I will be surprised if you can get Nissan to pay for this. Let me know how you make out. Thanks
  • ecalonoecalono Posts: 1
    if anyones willing to read this; what type of oil can be used for a nissan frontier 2003 supercharged ?
  • titan8titan8 Posts: 41
    I have 2004 titan truck I am using full SYNTHETIC OIL, you can also use the same, Look on the oil filler cap of what grade you can use,SYNTHETIC oil is the best you can ever use.I am using AMSOIL FULL SYNTHETIC OIL, that gives you 25,000 miles or one full year change over. HOPE this helps you out.
  • wise1wise1 Posts: 90
    My 86 nissan 2.4 has a shaky idle. When its cold and after it warms up. At stop signs or red lights the trucks idle is shaky. I give it gas to keep it from going dead which it does if I don't keep giving it gas. It's had a tune up : plugs, rotor button dist. cap and fuel filter. Any suggestions? This truck does not have a check engine light and the computer codes are wiped clean once the truck has been cranked 50 times. Also what brake pads and shoes have you used that is quiet and efficient and long lasting???Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Have you checked vacuum lines that maybe leaking, causing the engine to run rough? If you hit the gas pedal real fast and let off quickly does the engine respond and NO back fire, Check your compression on each cylinder, Also you may have a bad spark plug wire,which you did not mention in your tune up.Brakes use semi metallic brake pads,and shoes, you wont go wrong with them.They last long and dont wear out the rotors and drums like ceramic pads and shoes do.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    . Also what brake pads and shoes have you used that is quiet and efficient and long lasting???

Raybestos.

Don't know about anyone else but I switched to ceramics on my '91 with no rotor issues. Also switched to ceramics on my '05 Titan at 300 miles cause I couldn't stand all that black dust. Now at 60K miles and no rotor issues. (never had the recall done either) seems the solution to the warping rotors was replacing with ceramics as they generate far less heat than the semi metallic.
    ceramic pads will wear out the rotors little more than semi metallic pads will.I have 2004 titan and changed all rotors to the drilled out holes and slotted and this was the best thing I did, BREMBO ROTORS is what i have on this truck.
  • wise1wise1 Posts: 90
    Thanks for all the replies. The compression had already been checked and all were fine. Most of the vacuum hoses were changed out about 5 years ago. I rechecked the vacuum hoses and they appeared fine. I changed the spark plug wires and that MAY have helped but I think the real problem was the hot air duct is very old and fragile and was not connected to the exhaust. I reconnected it and now it seems to be running better during the warm daylight hours and I'll have to crank it up early A.M. to see how it runs when the temps are cold. Where can I order a new hot air duct?? It must be made out of some very fragile material because its falling apart. :D :shades:
  • This knock sensor thing could be a false reading. My mechanic had the same reading, but further investigation revealed a sluggish thermostat was causing the light to come on. Replaced thermostat and now everything is OK
  • My 2001 4X4 3.3 liter Frontier has started just downshifting for 4 or 5 seconds while I am doing about 65 on a level freeway. The Tach just goes from 2300 to 3500 and back again for no apparent reason at all. Any ideas on this?
  • Bought my car in May of 2010. Within a month or 3,000 miles later car stalled on the way to California from Phoenix. The engine just shut down right in the middle of the freeway, really scary as I had my whole family in there. Towed the car to the nearest dealer and they replaced a bad crank sensor. 7,000 miles and five months later - same thing. Car stalls, tow to dealer - again - bad crank sensor. I have been scared to drive it ever since - just short trips around town. The dealer just shrugged shoulders - just a couple of bad sensor in the row? This is bull. A brand new car and POS has a recurrent catastrophic failure. This is my first and the last Nissan. Should have bought a Toyota Tacoma instead. I am seriously thinking about taking a small hit and trading the car. I would appreciate any input. Thanks. Bart.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    About the stalling, you may want to ask them if your Frontier is subject to the new (12/2010) recall on the 'ECM Relay'. The relay is actually on the Intelligent Power Distribution Module and a defective relay will cause the engine to imtermittently quit. Your truck has the classic symtoms of the problem, but I do not know if 2010's are included in the recall. If your Dealer is a rubberhead, you can check with Nissan at 800-867-7669. Good luck -- these things are indeed a pain. :sick:
    I have a 2004 titan crew cab, outstanding truck,has 98,500 miles on it, bought it brand new, now the climate control modules not works, making the air deflector only work in one position,cost to repair is 3000.00, has anyone also had this problem? Truck was at Nissan dealership trying to get it fixed,and not at any back yard garage. Any input would be a great help.Thanks
  • burkinburkin Posts: 2
    I'm shopping for a Frontier extended cab with 4 doors and only looks like 2. Not a crew cab. Wondering what the SPECIFIC title or name of the hard to find cab that has access doors without handles? I realize there is a crew cab version with 4 handles. I'm looking for the Frontier "King Cab" version. It seems there are lots of "King Cab" versions out there without 4 doors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm out of steam looking....Thanks Much!
  • burkinburkin Posts: 2
    Me again. Obsessing about finding the package or model of an older Frontier that has an extended cab, often referred to as a "King Cab". This truck style appears to have 2 doors, but actually has 4 because the 2 access door handles are hidden. This type of arrangement is called "suicide" doors. Do any of you happen to know the particular model of this Frontier?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    You may be mistaken. I check back to 2001 and all the extended or "King cab" version of the Frontier came with an extended cab with only 2 doors. The Titan king cab has 4 doors but not the Frontier.
  • My 98 extended cab Frontier, has had a leaking roof for over a year now & getting worse. I bought is in 99 with 13K and it now has nearly 165k on it. Water drips on the steering wheel, only after driven 20/30 feet with turning or braking. Both floor matts catch dripping water and the driver's seat gets very wet. I checked the tail light at the edge of the roof and it's dry behind it. The only thing left... I think is possibly those vinyl strips at the edge of the top/roof just behind the tops of the 2 doors. Vinyl strips appear to be snug. Are there roof leak problems anyone has heard of on these trucks. I've had a windshield installer reseal the wind shield but to no avail, and he does not know where the water is coming in. I could sure use some good advice right about now, actually, some bad advice would beat a sharp stick in the eye. Please contact me at thmpick@gmail.com

Thanks
  • My 98 Frontier has problem with gears lightly scraping from time to time. Sometimes they are pretty bad then gets better for a while then back & forth. Does this usually stay this way a long time if not abused or will it continue to get worse quickly? The truck has been an absolute jewell but it seems there have been several things pop up suddenly. Would any of you opt to have it repaired or replaced with a quality rebuilt unit? Truck has 165,000 miles, uses no oil between changes and has had the usual, altonator, wiper motor, shocks, master cllinder, brakes... etc. So far a great truck. I had hoped to drive it to 300,000 miles and still would like for to try.

Thanks