Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Catera

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Catera!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    First of all,I would love to get a chat going.Of all the slots you mentioned,Thursday from 9:00 to 10:00 ET would be best for me,but Monday at same Eastern Time would be even better.I do the Mercedes chat on Tuesday.But let's DEFINATELY do it!
    I am a 12th grade English teacher by trade,and I love it,but I have been a car entheuist my whole life.Until recently,I've always had prosaisic cars,a 1971 Torino sedan given to me by my father in 1977,a 1981 Chevy Citation I bought new ,and a 1993 Taurus I also bought new.All this time,and way before,I'd suscribed to CAR&DRIVER and read all the other car mags,too.
    Last March,I bought a 2001 Passat 1.8T 5spd.-I REALLY love it!Last May I bought a 2001 Catera(sage with convience package).It is the first "nice" car I've had,but every time I drive it,it is still an utter THRILL!I espically love the rather heavy steering and the stiff suspension.I think it handles like a dream-very Mercedes-like- at half the price of an E320.
    I used to race road bicycles and an still an avid follower of the pro scene in Europe.
    More later...
    A friend of mine bought a 2001 Catera last month.He wants to know about adding CD and phone.Would changer in trunk be best?What brand?Can phone use On-Star microphone? His current phone is on a stalk in his Tahoe.Still best way to go?
  • danieltigerdanieltiger Member Posts: 7
    Our first Catera (97) had a 12 CD changer in the trunk and we loved it. The dealer put it in as an addition to the Bose system. We never had any trouble with it, but, I think we paid an extra $800 for the Bose and the changer. Our 2000 Catera has the regular CD player in the cabin and I am the changer. I miss the trunk CD changer; we didn't have to worry about anyone stealing CDs, and we didn't have to fumble around with them. There's no convenient place to store them out of sight.
  • dhvyldhvyl Member Posts: 5
    I bought a used 1998 Catera. The car seems to be a standard basic package that doesn't have the CD player, sunroof, or chrome wheel. But then again, I saved about $3000 on my vehcile cost without these fearures. Non the less, I still like this car. Trying to get use to a rear wheel drive vehicle is taking time but after putting this car on the highway last weekend, I am very pleased with its performance. Also, I think that the Catera has a definite edge in interms of interior stlying because of the combine Germanic and American detail. The Catera give you and America feel of Luxury with a Germanic feel richness of quality that I real like. The doors on the Catera close with authority and not harshness. I was equally impressed with the Load level feature that the Catera has incorporated into the vehicle design. I would encourage anyone who is looking for a preowned vehicle to take a look at the Catera. If you want to spend about 16,500 to 18000 on a new vehicle, treat yourself to German design and buy a 1998 Cadillac Catera. One of the nice things that I have seen about used Cateras is that most of them have not come back from lease looking extremely tattered and run down. My black Catera still has considerable tire tread at 45,000 miles and the body has no apparent scratches or damage. Also my VIN had a clean title history. I enjoy driving but didn't want to be in the poor house with a monthly car note. The Catera fit my budget and needs perfectly. Also my friend think that the car looks "way cool" :o). Now, if I can just find a CD Changer for the trunk.
  • gmcateragmcatera Member Posts: 6
    Check out www.radiosandmore.com
  • merryoakmerryoak Member Posts: 1
    Rather than using a CD changer, consider the newer MP3 in-dash players (check out Crutchfield.com) and the music storage (below dash or in trunk)components like the ones available through Phatnoise.com. These are priced competitively with 10-12 disc cd changers and one 800 MB cd can hold a minimum of 125 selections and random play. The Storage units like the ones Phatnoise sells can hold at least 20 Gigs which translates to well over 3500 MP3 files which you can load from your home computer.
  • jacrabjacrab Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my Catera about a week ago, and so far so good. This car drives great. I will be coming back here from time to time to provide updates.
  • jacrabjacrab Member Posts: 2
    Could someone tell me about the bass in their stereo system. I was at another catera site last night, and a lot of the owners in the area of strengths gave it to the stereo system.
    My stereo doesn't seem to have a lot of bass compared to other car stereo's I've heard. Also, the radio stations doesn't seem to come in to clear at times.

Any suggestions.
  • htexbbhtexbb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Catera and was having problems with the car stalling out. After a few minutes (sometimes) it would start up. Had it at the dealers 3 times with no help. Finally it stalled and I had to have it towed to the dealer but it started right up. Fortunately while they had it hooked up it stalled and they determined it was the crankshaft sensor was going bad. Has anyone else had this problem? Also is this covered by a warranty? It is costing $450 for part and labor.
  • dhulboydhulboy Member Posts: 2
    Anyone else have a cam cover oil leak? Especially anyone who does their own mechanical work. Gaskets were extremely expensive ($60 ea.)and I haven't been able to find them anywhere except at a Cadillac dealer. I'm not familiar with overhead cam engines, it is normal to have oil stay in the cam cover ? Is it normal for oil to enter the spark plug cavity when the wire is removed ?
  • jestermijestermi Member Posts: 1
    The crankshaft sensor appears to be a growing problem with Catera's. Mine started as a problem restarting when hot. Then the engine would shut off while driving it. My '98 was in the shop 3 times. First diagnosed with corroded battery contacts, then a new battery installed, then a new fuel pump. This was very disappointing as my Catera has had no problems (other than that stupid cupholder breaking apart and regular alignments). I gave up on it until coming across some discussion threads that pointed to the crank sensor. My local dealer wanted over $400 to change it but couldn't guarantee it was the problem. The feeling I was left with was their extreme desire not to work on my car. So I got the GM service manuals from ebay and did it myself. Now the car is running and I saved big $$$. The sensor can be found online for less than $100.
  • raiden1raiden1 Member Posts: 1
    hello all, Ive just purchased a 2000 catera with 57,000 km, its silver, has everything except the sunroof, its actually the 2nd catera that has been in my family. The first was a 97' and she didnt give us one problem at all, we had her till last year when my dad decided to buy a supercharged bonneville. Did i mention im 18 and driving a cadillac.

I have a few plans for my catera such as dual exhaust and im hearing that there is a company in germany that makes body kits for the catera, so i might look into that.

hopefully I wont have ne problems with mine, but if i do ill leave a post. cya
  • cat2ksicat2ksi Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

My name is Fong and have 2000 catera for 2 years now. Lately, I am having a problem with the charging system...not exactly sure what the deal is...that's why I am here. Anyway, the voltage gauge sits about the middle at cold startup. When it is hot, the gauge goes down. With the AC on, it gets worst. I measured the voltage on the battery during these conditions and the gauge is accurate. I saw some similar posting here and it appears to be a problem with the "crank shaft position senor" and not the alternator??? Would appreciate and help. Thanks.
  • rustyisinrustyisin Member Posts: 2
    any information on where I can find these cheap crank sensors would be an absolute blessing. Also, if anyone else has a website address for affordable Catera parts it would be appreciated.
    thanks
  • rustyisinrustyisin Member Posts: 2
    OK - Got it! It can be found through Rock Auto for 69.95
  • emilybemilyb Member Posts: 1
    I had a 2000 catera athat stalled out all the time, got rid of it right away and got a 1998 catera. ive had the car for 6 months now and it sslowly starting to act up. Tons of electrical problems, lights turning on out of nowhere, lights not working, dash lights fading out and coming back. Most recently brake lights went out for a while and they just started working again. Now the transmissions starting to act up. All I can say is Ive had nothing but problems with these cars and have heard nothing good about them. And they quit making cateras why????
  • cmantellcmantell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Catera with very low mileage..about 13000..had it since early '99.
    Sometimes when starting, all you get is a light click, guess solenoid. Try it a couple of times, some times it starts right away,sometimes after waiting 15-20 minutes.
    Dealer says they can't tell anything until it is consistent.
    Has anyone had this problem or ideas as to cause.
  • keys4031keys4031 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a response? I have the same question?
  • monkeywrenchermonkeywrencher Member Posts: 1
    The same thing happened to me with my 1998 Catera; intermittent starting. The problem was that the Cadillac dealership (St. Claire) here in San Jose, didn't have the part (crankshaft position sensor) and it took 2 full months to get it from Germany! Cadillac does not support this vehicle, period.
  • cutmancutman Member Posts: 1
    I have only 12,100 miles on my Catera and had to replace the right front wheel bearing assembly.
    Not good. Auto Mechanic told me wheel bearings are like belts, they just wear out any time.
    Hope the left front last longer?

Cut man
  • wweaverwweaver Member Posts: 2
    my 97 catera is nice i like it alot but i am having a problem with my trans i guess its in fail safe mode or limp mode because when i shift to drive its like im actually in fourth gear in order to drive the car i have to manually shift from 1st to 2nd my trans light and check engine light are on i had the codes read and one was for the throttle position sensor and the other was p1700 i have replaced ther neutral safety switch and it fixed my gear selector lights but im still in limp mode please help :P
  • rhondahrhondah Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I had a problem with my 2001 Catera. It would just shut off while I was sitting still at a red light or something. It would shut off while I was driving it. Sometimes it would crank right up other times it would take a while. I took it to the dealership and they say the crank sensor needed to be replaced. I was under $300 to fix it.
  • rhondahrhondah Member Posts: 2
    Is there anyone who has had a problem with the Catera not cranking. For about 2 weeks now, I have been having a problem with my car not cranking. I let it sit sometime a day or so, I go back out and it starts. I may drive it for 2 or so days and it does the same thing. I had the alternator replaced but it still would not start. If you had this problem please tell me what the problem was.
  • thabighemithabighemi Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 98 Catera, in addition to the guage\warning light thing, non functioning fuel door\trunk pop buttons and moody sunroof. Anyone know anything? Such a great car to be such a hunk of garbage!!!
  • andrew25andrew25 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, Andrew here. I read your posting, to let you know, I will soon be offering Sport Package/ Body Kits for the Cadillac Catera-here in the U.S

If you are interested, send me an email and I will give you the details.

Thanks
    Andrew
  • mach1456mach1456 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have an answer as to why the transmission goes into limp mode. Mine does it when i go uphill at 40 to 50 mph. Turn off the car and its fine. Does anyone know what the cause is. :confuse:
  • jbcl04jbcl04 Member Posts: 1
    how much for a sporty front bumper 99 catera? [email protected]
  • catera06catera06 Member Posts: 2
    Hi let me introduce myself. My name is Robert Nelson and I recently purchased a 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport. I love the vehicle but yes I am having to do some repairs. I am having to replace a few things so anyone whom has advice on what I should and should not do would be greatly appreciated. I live in Houston, TX so it gets hot down here for most of the year. Thanks again and I hope to hear from yall soon.
  • cadicatcadicat Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just got my Cat at the end of June. So far the only problem with it is that the amp went out in the stereo and I'm putting an aftermarket in it. I love it, and especially love being 27 with a Cadillac. Its Rainforest in color with beige interior. I'm guessing it's the base model. I don't know though. It has the sunroof, Bose sound and chrome wheels thougth. If anyone knows if there is a trick to the radio, let me know because I would prefer to keep the stock in because of the steering wheel control. Thanks. :shades:
  • heckofamanheckofaman Member Posts: 6
    Hi KarenS:

I am an owner of a 2000 Catera that I bought under the GM certified Cadillac program, which extended my warranty to 100k miles or 6 years from the in-service date. This program saved me not only $$$, but much aggrevation when my timimg belt failed after it had been replaced under recall (the mechanic failed to correctly replace tensioner).

The certification program gave me free towing service and a free replacement car for the several weeks it took to replace the heads and other engine parts required.

What I am wondering now that the car is beyond the warranty period, should I replace the timing belt at my expense or let it go for awhile longer (the car now has 97,600 miles and the belt, ect was replaced at 33,400 miles.)

The car is flawless, which appears to be very unusual for Cateras, and is used daily by my father-in-law (79) who loves the car. My gut tells me to replace the belt & water pump in the next few weeks before it has the chance to leave him stranded next to the road.

Do you know someone who could advise me in this decision?
    I do believe the owner's manual suggests replacing the belt every 60,000 miles....
    I'm glad you're enjoying your Catera. Our 2001 just turned 44,000 miles;we've really enjoyed the car. It has really great driving manners.
  • nogm4menogm4me Member Posts: 13
    Good Day,
    To all members and lookie-loos. I am a long time
    forum ( Townhall ) member chirping up just about now in this
    the Catera talk group. I am the 2 yr. owner of a 1997 Cadillac Catera- factory decked out Sand colour Tan interior
    with a wee bit'o rust. It's was purchased in Sept '05 for
    the princely sum of $ 6720 USD, emmisions certified and
    rare'in to to, and oh yes, oil undercoated. I see there is
    quite the dicotamy of opinion concerning this vehicle and I
    would have to say, I am one of the more satisfied owners.
    I look forward to sharing my experiences with you and infromatively helping in any way. Cheers, " noGM4me "
  • carnut829carnut829 Member Posts: 4
    Recently purchased a 2000 catera. Valve noise seems a bit excessive. Is this normal?? If not, what did you have done to quiet same. carnut829
  • carnut829carnut829 Member Posts: 4
    I checked Rock Auto as you suggested for the crank position sensor and note there are three with wide ranging prices. Would like to know which on you purchased. Thanx Car nut829
  • emmanuelmemmanuelm Member Posts: 5
    My 1997 Cadillac Catera has two problems (1) A flashing " Levelling " sign on the dash panel (2) the car does not want to go faster than 55 mph on the highway. The transmision is not sliping or any thing.
    Can any body help?
  • redheadsharredheadshar Member Posts: 1
    I, too, have had the "leveling" problem. It stops flashing only after I turn off and restart the car. The transmission DOES slip if I don't warm up the car for 4-6 minutes. We can't locate the transmission stick in order to check it. The car didn't come with an owner's manual. Could anyone tell me where to locate the tansmission stick? Thanking you in advance, I am!

:)
  • itstinksitstinks Member Posts: 1
    my son's first car is a 2000 used cadillac catera. we've had it for almost a year, march. since the week after we left the dealer, it has been nothing but problems--engine lite on--coils replaced repeatedly, radiator, steering problems. we have spent about $1400 and nothing is fixed. does anybody know how to fix them or where to go to get them fixed. i'm sick over this. what's going to be next. please reply if you have any suggestions.
  • ask4ask4 Member Posts: 2
    After 10 inline fuses were replaced to attempt to correct overheating issue which caused the radio/cd to cut off, now only the radio works - cd player says it won't initialize - help!
  • stephaniecmmstephaniecmm Member Posts: 5
    I have a 97 Cadillac Catera and according to the owners manual, I quote
    Leveling light comes on steady when the rear load level in your vehicle changes. Don not drive your vehicle when this light is on. The rear of your car is too low and part of the body/rear axle may be damaged when driving over bumpy roads. When light goes out leveling is complete, unquote. I think if your trunk is full and everything is on one side the light will stay on, I had this problem once and that was the reason. The next time is stays on more than the minute when you first start your car, look in your trunk and level the contents, or remove some. I hope this helps out.
  • stephaniecmmstephaniecmm Member Posts: 5
    Believe it or not but I have found that Ebay has alot of parts for a Catera that are sometimes pretty cheap, also salvage yards the thing about this is some parts do not have warranties.
  • dinoscaddydinoscaddy Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 97 with 85,000 miles. I can't get the interior lights to come on. They worked the first day but now nothing. Any solutions? I don't have the owners manual.
  • calicagocalicago Member Posts: 53
    I would first check the fuse if thats ok check swich at the door jam you might have too remove the panel on the middle pilar then check for broken wire or disconnect plugs
  • williamobenwilliamoben Member Posts: 1
    where is located the transmission oil checking rod?
    Hey whats up well this is an ZF transmission it is sealed no trans dip stick can't check the fuild :cry:
  • illedeturkilledeturk Member Posts: 1
    hi guys i really really need ur help alot. let me tell you what it is..i bought a engine which is 32.000 miles and i got this engine for my 2000 catera with my friends help but they coudnt do right wiring for sure..radiator light is on. and theere are little bitty wires between radiator and engine..i dont know know wher it goes.. i really need that wher those littl bitty tiny wires go. where they connect ...i need desperately those clear pictures .. i really really really appreciate if u guys send me those pictures through e-mail. i search in internet for those kinmd of pictures but coudnt find it.. i really dont know what to do ...i bought that damn cadilalc catera very chep 1900 bucks but it cost me 1500 bucks fro repair.. my email is [email protected], im really broke financially ...all i need is those pictures clear pictures between motor and radiator..little bitty wires. it very conplicated.at least i f ihave pictures i could figure out by my self.. thanks in advanceeee
    Well hello my name is calicago im a retired mechanic of 20 years never relly got into cateras untill I owned one a real fun car to drive I found that factory direct helps to get those hard to get parts expensive sometimes but the reguler joe will go to the dealer and sometimes end up paying more. it's more fun to do it yourslef and the modifecations like cool air box fairing kits etc,etc,etc im learning as I go . good to meet you :)
    Hi if you have an catalog let me know thanx
  • fred1209fred1209 Member Posts: 2
    on the side of the pan kinda looks like a smashed corner or flat,,its added there and once it spills out it is full
    actually it's not fill there the pressure lines to the trans cooler are tap and is filter and refilled that way and if you try to do it that way the toruqe converterwill not get the proper amount and the trans will start sliping and you will get high revs and brun more gas and brun the trans :surprise:
  • kkdallaskkdallas Member Posts: 1
    kkdallas; I have a 1999 cadilac catara 4 door sudan and my gas cap went bad. They put on a new one but it was a universal one and IT will not work on my car. I went to the dealer here and they said they do not even have it on their list of parts any more. So I had them call the manuf. and they were told that they quit making cataras in 2001 and they no longer carry parts for them that I would just have to find some were that would still have one in stock. I can't find any one who has it! PLEASE HELP ME FIND THE RIGHT GAS CAP FOR MY CAR!!! thank you kkd