Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Catera

Comments

• wweaverwweaver Posts: 2
    my 97 catera is nice i like it alot but i am having a problem with my trans i guess its in fail safe mode or limp mode because when i shift to drive its like im actually in fourth gear in order to drive the car i have to manually shift from 1st to 2nd my trans light and check engine light are on i had the codes read and one was for the throttle position sensor and the other was p1700 i have replaced ther neutral safety switch and it fixed my gear selector lights but im still in limp mode please help :P
  • rhondahrhondah Posts: 2
    Hi, I had a problem with my 2001 Catera. It would just shut off while I was sitting still at a red light or something. It would shut off while I was driving it. Sometimes it would crank right up other times it would take a while. I took it to the dealership and they say the crank sensor needed to be replaced. I was under $300 to fix it.
  • rhondahrhondah Posts: 2
    Is there anyone who has had a problem with the Catera not cranking. For about 2 weeks now, I have been having a problem with my car not cranking. I let it sit sometime a day or so, I go back out and it starts. I may drive it for 2 or so days and it does the same thing. I had the alternator replaced but it still would not start. If you had this problem please tell me what the problem was.
  • I have the same problem with my 98 Catera, in addition to the guage\warning light thing, non functioning fuel door\trunk pop buttons and moody sunroof. Anyone know anything? Such a great car to be such a hunk of garbage!!!
  • Hello, Andrew here. I read your posting, to let you know, I will soon be offering Sport Package/ Body Kits for the Cadillac Catera-here in the U.S

If you are interested, send me an email and I will give you the details.

Thanks
    Andrew
  • Does anyone have an answer as to why the transmission goes into limp mode. Mine does it when i go uphill at 40 to 50 mph. Turn off the car and its fine. Does anyone know what the cause is. :confuse:
  • how much for a sporty front bumper 99 catera? g0at_ba@yahoo.com
  • catera06catera06 Posts: 2
    Hi let me introduce myself. My name is Robert Nelson and I recently purchased a 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport. I love the vehicle but yes I am having to do some repairs. I am having to replace a few things so anyone whom has advice on what I should and should not do would be greatly appreciated. I live in Houston, TX so it gets hot down here for most of the year. Thanks again and I hope to hear from yall soon.
  • cadicatcadicat Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just got my Cat at the end of June. So far the only problem with it is that the amp went out in the stereo and I'm putting an aftermarket in it. I love it, and especially love being 27 with a Cadillac. Its Rainforest in color with beige interior. I'm guessing it's the base model. I don't know though. It has the sunroof, Bose sound and chrome wheels thougth. If anyone knows if there is a trick to the radio, let me know because I would prefer to keep the stock in because of the steering wheel control. Thanks. :shades:
  • Hi KarenS:

I am an owner of a 2000 Catera that I bought under the GM certified Cadillac program, which extended my warranty to 100k miles or 6 years from the in-service date. This program saved me not only $$$, but much aggrevation when my timimg belt failed after it had been replaced under recall (the mechanic failed to correctly replace tensioner).

The certification program gave me free towing service and a free replacement car for the several weeks it took to replace the heads and other engine parts required.

What I am wondering now that the car is beyond the warranty period, should I replace the timing belt at my expense or let it go for awhile longer (the car now has 97,600 miles and the belt, ect was replaced at 33,400 miles.)

The car is flawless, which appears to be very unusual for Cateras, and is used daily by my father-in-law (79) who loves the car. My gut tells me to replace the belt & water pump in the next few weeks before it has the chance to leave him stranded next to the road.

Do you know someone who could advise me in this decision?
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    I do believe the owner's manual suggests replacing the belt every 60,000 miles....
    I'm glad you're enjoying your Catera. Our 2001 just turned 44,000 miles;we've really enjoyed the car. It has really great driving manners.
  • nogm4menogm4me Posts: 13
    Good Day,
    To all members and lookie-loos. I am a long time
    forum ( Townhall ) member chirping up just about now in this
    the Catera talk group. I am the 2 yr. owner of a 1997 Cadillac Catera- factory decked out Sand colour Tan interior
    with a wee bit'o rust. It's was purchased in Sept '05 for
    the princely sum of $ 6720 USD, emmisions certified and
    rare'in to to, and oh yes, oil undercoated. I see there is
    quite the dicotamy of opinion concerning this vehicle and I
    would have to say, I am one of the more satisfied owners.
    I look forward to sharing my experiences with you and infromatively helping in any way. Cheers, " noGM4me "
  • Recently purchased a 2000 catera. Valve noise seems a bit excessive. Is this normal?? If not, what did you have done to quiet same. carnut829
  • I checked Rock Auto as you suggested for the crank position sensor and note there are three with wide ranging prices. Would like to know which on you purchased. Thanx Car nut829
  • My 1997 Cadillac Catera has two problems (1) A flashing " Levelling " sign on the dash panel (2) the car does not want to go faster than 55 mph on the highway. The transmision is not sliping or any thing.
    Can any body help?
  • I, too, have had the "leveling" problem. It stops flashing only after I turn off and restart the car. The transmission DOES slip if I don't warm up the car for 4-6 minutes. We can't locate the transmission stick in order to check it. The car didn't come with an owner's manual. Could anyone tell me where to locate the tansmission stick? Thanking you in advance, I am!

:)
  • my son's first car is a 2000 used cadillac catera. we've had it for almost a year, march. since the week after we left the dealer, it has been nothing but problems--engine lite on--coils replaced repeatedly, radiator, steering problems. we have spent about $1400 and nothing is fixed. does anybody know how to fix them or where to go to get them fixed. i'm sick over this. what's going to be next. please reply if you have any suggestions.
  • ask4ask4 Posts: 2
    After 10 inline fuses were replaced to attempt to correct overheating issue which caused the radio/cd to cut off, now only the radio works - cd player says it won't initialize - help!
  • I have a 97 Cadillac Catera and according to the owners manual, I quote
    Leveling light comes on steady when the rear load level in your vehicle changes. Don not drive your vehicle when this light is on. The rear of your car is too low and part of the body/rear axle may be damaged when driving over bumpy roads. When light goes out leveling is complete, unquote. I think if your trunk is full and everything is on one side the light will stay on, I had this problem once and that was the reason. The next time is stays on more than the minute when you first start your car, look in your trunk and level the contents, or remove some. I hope this helps out.
  • Believe it or not but I have found that Ebay has alot of parts for a Catera that are sometimes pretty cheap, also salvage yards the thing about this is some parts do not have warranties.