Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• gngurugnguru Posts: 108
    If you're talking about the circle with dotted lines on each side of it, that is the Brake Pad Wear Indicator Light. If you're talking about a dotted circle with "TC" in the middle of it, that is the Traction Control System warning light. The coolant system warning light looks like a small radiator. Hope this helps you. ;)
  • Hi, I have a 1998 catera can you tell me where the thermostat is located is it inside the motor or on the side by the outlet.
  • Hi, I know for a fact that there is a thermostat inside the engine as well as one outside. The one inside causing problems like steam from hood, mine ran a little hot to.
    I don't know what you're talking about when you say "Vehicle Speed Sensor".. I always thought that was called a "Radar Gun" and usually the police have them and I don't think you'll find one on a Catera but good luck in your search.
    There is only one (1) engine coolant thermostat on the Catera and it is located in the engine behind the radiator inlet hose. However, there is a heater control valve that is located between the engine and the firewall and this may be what brandon5 is making reference to as a thermostat external of the engine even though it is NOT a thermostat. ;)
  • thanks for the correction, just a female here.. ;)
  • spennyspenny Posts: 2
    I just turned 80,000 miles. Right now I'm dealing with a bad oil change at Wal-Mart. Thought I could save money instead of going to the dealer....my car has been leaking oil ever since they changed it. I've NEVER leaked oil before. Will know tomorrow how ballistic I have to get!!! I went by there Tues, they gave me a lame excuse, said it was straightened out. I'm leaking again.
  • Hey, everytime I tried to get oil change at Walmart I was told they didnot have the correct tools to use on Cateras
    make sure they didnot force anything and if I were you I would call Walmart Corporate and let them know what happened. Remember the people changing oil at walmart are not always respondsible people.
    Well, caterajunk is right. The catera oil drain plug requires a torx socket bit (either a T40 or T45 - can't remember for sure) but it is not an expensive tool and I would think that Wal Mart would get one out of their automotive department for their shop if they needed to. Other than that, a catera oil change is very similar to any other car. One thing to consider beings as Wal Mart mechanics may not exactly be "top of the line", the drain plug has a nylon washer with it and maybe they didn't put the washer back on the plug and you would be trying to seal oil with metal to metal (hard to do). Another thing to consider, before you pounce on Wal Mart (LOL), cateras are notorious for leaky valve covers. If you can smell burning oil after the car heats up and you stop it and get out, chances are the valve covers are leaking, especially with 80K miles. If not and it leaks oil when it's parked, either the drain plug is the culprit or the oil filter isn't screwed on tight enough. Hopes this helps you somewhat and good luck.
  • nogm4menogm4me Posts: 13
    Howdy,I use an allen wrench, 3/16 or 1/4 I believe to undo the oil plug for an oil change. That worked until I got the
    appropo torx bit as spenny suggests. The plug takes an "o"
    ring bye the way. Which may have been nicked by the Wal-mart
    space technicians. Hence the oil leak. Also I have found that the larger ( Fram part no. ) 3980 oil filter cartridge
    works in that tight space. The small filter is 3387A I think.By that method I can extend my oil change interval to beyond 6,000 miles with the extra capacity(6 qt.) crankcase level. If you want sumtin' done right,..do it yoself .
  • Hey Gnguru, Great Job.....Proud of you and you are rig ;) ht ...DO IT YOURSELF!! Well my catera is dead and gone and I felt so much relief. Now looking for a good cas mini van or suv as I still owe six months on the catera. I just refuse to put an engine in the car. Anyway glad you got her fix.
  • I have a 2000 Catera. I have tons of problems with it. The latest is my radio losses power intermittently. When this occurs, I cannot open the trunk. I tried to fix this last summer. They repaired the radio and the control box in the back but the problem came back. HELP? :sick:
  • I have the same problem with my radio. Did you get this fixed? How did you fix it?
  • Hello......
    Don't have my catera anymore but that happen to me once, then the lights. My mechanic always fixed it free of charge by resetting the computor. After we did that about three times I experienced no more problems. Hope this helps.

Good Luck
  • Did you have to have the part programed?
  • Trinella, from my understanding the computor controlled a lot on the Catera. Each time he reset the computor I had no more problems. In my car the clock, radio and gauges would just stop for no reason but he said the computor was off. Sorry I can't be of more help. Also I researched Catera recalls and did find the radio as having known problems. Let me know if I can assist you in anyway. Good Luck
  • The radio and control box is not the problem, it's a multi function relay. They replaced relay part #90494163 and sensor part #90528435. The relay cost $90.32 and the sensor $230.57 total with labor 450.79. In your case the sensor may not need to be replaced. Cadillac service should have known about this problem.
  • thank you so much. will try that.
  • Have a 98 catera. the a/c compresser will not come on. Fuses are good as well as the relays. Not that summer is over, If you want heat to come out It will blow warm for about 30 seconds then gets cold. They is plenty of antifreeze, Would the heater control valve do this & if so where would it be located. thanks
  • i have a 2000 catera i have put much money in it now im having this problem plus abs light tc light level light and power stearing problems when these lights come on took it to one shop they told too many codes needs togot the dealer but im now looking for another cadillac and this catera is almost paid off but ive already put plenty of money into it and now its really getting old
  • where in the car is the multi-function relay located? Is it under the hood or under the dash? Close to what? This is the relay that controls the radio, gas cap and trunk. :confuse:
  • Superior Cadillac of Kansas City replaced the relay. Their service department # is 800-549-6531 give them a call and the part #. They should be able to help you out.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,630
    If you're happy (or not) with your dealer service give 'em a review on our new Dealer REview service!

Here's the link:

http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/drr/jump.html

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I need some body parts for a 2000 catera I love this car and it has being very hard to find parts for it I neeed a hood and front bumper it is a 2000 catera.
  • Hey....I would suggest going tp craigslist.com . For parts email me at svm0608@sbcglobal.net
  • kyrawkyraw Posts: 1
    I have 98 catera I just got it out the shop and I tried to play my cd but it will not play it keep telling me cd error what does that mean is my memory off or what.
  • I SIT AND WAIT FOR MY SHIFT TO COME OUT OF GEAR??WHEN I GET IN MY CAR AND TURN IT ON ,,IT I HAVE TO FIDDLE WITH IT TO GET IT OUT OF PARK???? WHATS GOING ON??
  • acurryacurry Posts: 27
    i have a 2000 catera and this happened to me twice on your break there is two switches one is the cruise control switch and aslo the break light stop switch i think there are both next together replace both of them at the same time and you should be ok all they are is safety switches. you can also bypass them with a jumper wire i had to just toget my car back to my house.
  • Your advise worked. Finally after 2 years of trying to figure this heating problem out I'm in the heat. Thanks