Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• cissiecissie Posts: 7
    Hi

Crank Sensor you say, not the fuse. I mean this is completely dead it will do nothing, I drove yesterday for a good hour and nothing came on I was sick. What will cost about? Is your guy in northern NJ?
    C
  • caddyguy1caddyguy1 Posts: 1
    Hello I am a master certified GM technician. Not currently in a GM dealership I work at a BMW/MINI dealership. I worked at a Cadillac dealeship for about 6 years.
    First of all Cateras are not that hard to work on. Many GM technicians have probles with it b/c they are used to GM this is not a GM it is basically an Opel which is German.
    Let me tell you guys a few of the problems these cars have
    Battery Draw---Check the rear defroster relay (they stick)
    Oil Leaks---Valve Covers and Head Gaskets
    Coolant Leaks---Water control valve, Head gasket, oil cooler cover
    Problems with Oil Pressure----Pressure sensor or the actual guage(it can be replaced seperate of the whole cluster)
    Coolant Light stays on---replace the jug it has a sensor (or sometimes you can beat on it and it will go out)
    No start---crank sensor (only replaced on fuel pump in 6 years on a catera)
    Rough Running---Pull spark plug boot check for leaking valve covers. Also the ignition coils would go bad on these.
    Cant get vehicle out of park---Needs the Shifter assembly.
    Have not seen a whole lot of transmission issues.
    Noise from front of Engine----most likely timing belt related.
    I have replaced a lot of A/C control panels.
    I have replaced a few a/c door actuators for air not blowing out of proper position.
    I have replaced quite a few brake light switches.
    I have replaced few wheels speed sensors
    I have replaced quite a few o2 sensors.
    I have seen a few Air Injection faults.
    As I said these cars are German with some GM infulence. Thing is Saab uses the same engine as the 3.0 catera and had not had half the problems the catera has. These car are not hard to fix, can be tricky to diagnose.
  • gw1998gw1998 Posts: 6
    So, what should I check to see why the back brake lights aren't working? All other lights are working with no problem.
  • caddyguy01,

I have a 1998 Cadillac Catera. It stalled out on my way to work turning left monday. I took it into a shop they let me know my coolant was leaking and replaced my water control valve. It is still stalling out for me. When sitting for about 15-30 minutes I can start it up and it will run for a minimal amount of time then just stall. Does this sound like a crank sensor to you, or do you have any ideas? Thank you.
  • caddywoes2caddywoes2 Posts: 2
    I've just entered the world of disgrunted owners. I too have a problem with my 01 Catera. The speedometer does not work. Anyone have any ideas what would be the least expensive fix for this? Is it the CPU, TCS(Whatever that is), Speed Sensors, Speed Control Throttle, Etc..... Any and all answers would be greatly appreciated.

Caddywoes2
  • caddywoes2caddywoes2 Posts: 2
    Will replacing the speed sensors fix the problem with the speedometer not working? Do you think I need a new Speed Head assembly as some one suggested? Can you give me any ideas? Any info will be greatly appeciated.

Caddywoes2
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    Luckily, I'm still extremely satisfied with the '01 Catera I've had since new. No big problems, but Iam amaed just how many unhappy owners seem to be out there. Anyone else's car ageing gracefully?
  • I have a 97' catera that will not start. I was told that the security system was preventing it from turning, what do you think ? Or is it more likely to be a crank sensor kit problem? I have changed the spark plug boots,spark plugs (numerous times)
  • mexdebmexdeb Posts: 7
    I hope you drove your car right to the nearest Certified GM dealer. Its the timing belt and is under an open recall. Every penny it cost you will be reimbursed you by cadillac. Just keep all your receipts and submit. It cost me 1400 dollars and I got a check in less than a month and this was for repairs done in Mexico. No questions asked and they were great. Just call in and present your case they wil tell you what to do. I had a letter I had saved that had a number to call. Your dealer should know about this, it should pop up when they put your VIN number in to their system. Hope you got ittaken care of.
    gnguru, I just wanted to say thanks for your help. I found out the crank sensor wass what they replaced and I told them to check it over that they must have not done something correctly and they corrected whatever problems there was and it is working great. Problems solved, so thanks again. I wasnt ever able to get to your slides. No need to now I guess I was just curious to see them. Thanks again. Mexdeb
    I have had some problems with my 98 catera, I have been ignoring the need for new o2 sensors, and I was wondering how neccesary it is to replace them? I did have the timing belt problem but it was totally reinbursed last year even though the letter said it was only for 100,000 miles or cant remember how many years. Later it became an open recall. If the odometer stopped working is it the wheel speed sensor and if so how many sensors are there one or two ? Thats it for now. Gnguru helped me figure out the crankshaft sensor so that is my last problems solved.
    I did replace the coolant jug also was told they cant just get a new sensor and it was the sensor. I do have oil leaks and may have had battery draw that was a mystery . Could have been the rear defroster relay, Thats good to know, will watch for that. Thanks for your info.
  • richter1richter1 Posts: 8
    Ok this is a good one. Last night the radio was working normally. this morning start the car , no radio , turn the car off it comes on. start the car it goes off. turn the car off. well you get the picture. any ideas?????
  • wondering if anyone has had a problem like mine? When I start the car it sometimes seems not to be taking a spark
    or something.Eventually it starts.The other day coming off
    the nj parkway it just stalled out loosing power and slowly
    shuting down. The light that denotes transmition problem came on?Could this be a relay chip?
  • My husband and I were 600 miles from home when our 2000 catera passenger front door would not close. I have been told that we need to replace the part that latches the door closed but I have been unable to find out the correct name of this part in order to fix it. Can anyone help with that???? This car has been nothing but trouble for the 6 months we have owned it. I can not wait to get rid of it!!
  • clb2clb2 Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 1998 Cadillac Catera from a dealer and had a dignostic test done on it. One of the items on the print out stated "PO411 Secondary Air Injection - Incorrect Flow". Can somebody tell me what this means and how can it be corrected, what auto parts, if any, is needed?

Thank you.
  • spennyspenny Posts: 2
    You sound like me this past week. Check engine light was on, took to dealership, they said it was a vacuum hose leak, replaced hose and something by the brake booster - $191.88, that night the check engine light came on again, went back next day- they changed oil, told me to keep more gas in vehicle-$30.94, check engine light came on again that night-went the next day, Master control valve sensor had to be replaced -$401.00! It upset me that i had to pay labor on all three of these for them to find what was really wrong. They may want to check your Master control valve sensor.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    How many miles are on your Catera? Mine only has 42,000 on it, but it hasn't had a problem yet.
  • gasman7gasman7 Posts: 4
    When ac is on there is cold air coming out drivers side dash vent & left middle dash vent, but hot air coming out right middle & passenger side dash vents. Anyone have any ideas? 2001 Catera
  • gasman7gasman7 Posts: 4
    Yes, It probably is crankshaft sensor. I had same problem & replaced sensor. No more problems. Cadillac garage charged me about 45.00, cheaper than any other parts place. Sensor is mounted behind oil filter,& runs up backside of motor and connects on top backside.