Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• How many miles on your engine?

Did warranty expire because of in service date or miles?

When did you purchase car [exact date] and from dealer?
  • Had same problem with 2000 catera...low manual pressure, light on...I changed the sensor..solved that problem
  • smsssmss Posts: 3
    It has about 75000 miles and warranty expired due to date not miles
  • Hi everyone !
    i got a 97 catera and my break pad wear light and the radiator light came on. I changed my breaks but the problem still there. Matter of fact, while driving when i step on the breaks, the wheel shakes...anybody out there, please help.
    thank you...
  • acurryacurry Posts: 27
    need to replace rotors and break speed senors which are only at the dealer but not too much rotors can be purchased at auto store
  • 2000 catera starts then revs to 2000 rpms then dies or idles rough just replaced valve cover gaskets had oil leaking i plug wells allso replaced crank shaft position sensor need help does not throw any codes
  • what was the car doing to make u replace all that
  • can u tell me where u found mass air flow sensor and cost thanks
  • I have succesfully done a small block engine swap in my 97 Catera.. as most of you I had problems with my electrical system that was going to cost alot of money to fix.. therefore after reading many horror stories I decided that It was in my better interest to keep the car.. #1 reason.. I really like the car...#2 nobody would buy it anyways.. but i did a 5.7L 350 swap with a TH-400 and used the stock rear end.. and wow what a difference I have all the style of a cadillac with the performance it should have had originally.. I plan on starting a website with pics soon for you guys that wanted to see it done :surprise:
  • Small block swap is a good idea...GM builds the same car in their GM Holdens division in Australia. They will import this car as the Pontiac G8 later this year. Very good platform and great performance [eats BMWs].

PS: my 2000 Catera is still running strong with 98k miles, with no electrical problems.
  • Hello everyone, I've got a black 2000 Catera I've had for 3 yrs bought it with 61,000 mi as a lease trade in. I've not had any problems until just recently as it's about to roll over to 99,000 mi. I'm starting to smell the oil and see the little smoke coming from the hood on the passenger side. There was one feed on here this summer that got my attention that made me copy and store it on my computer for future reference. Just thought I'd repost it for all the newcomers to save a lot of questions, the guy seems to be really credible. GOOD LUCK!!! Oh yeah... Thanks CADDYGUY1

#297 of 406
    Lets Shed Some Light on the issues by caddyguy1 May 05, 2007 (6:35 am) 
    Total Posts: 1
    Replying to: cissie (May 04, 2007 5:18 am)

Hello I am a master certified GM technician. Not currently in a GM dealership I work at a BMW/MINI dealership. I worked at a Cadillac dealership for about 6 years.
    First of all Cateras are not that hard to work on. Many GM technicians have problems with it b/c they are used to GM this is not a GM it is basically an Opel which is German.
    Let me tell you guys a few of the problems these cars have
    Battery Draw---Check the rear defroster relay (they stick)
    Oil Leaks---Valve Covers and Head Gaskets
    Coolant Leaks---Water control valve, Head gasket, oil cooler cover
    Problems with Oil Pressure----Pressure sensor or the actual gauge(it can be replaced separate of the whole cluster)
    Coolant Light stays on---replace the jug it has a sensor (or sometimes you can beat on it and it will go out)
    No start---crank sensor (only replaced on fuel pump in 6 years on a catera)
    Rough Running---Pull spark plug boot check for leaking valve covers. Also the ignition coils would go bad on these.
    Cant get vehicle out of park---Needs the Shifter assembly.
    Have not seen a whole lot of transmission issues.
    Noise from front of Engine----most likely timing belt related.
    I have replaced a lot of A/C control panels.
    I have replaced a few a/c door actuators for air not blowing out of proper position.
    I have replaced quite a few brake light switches.
    I have replaced few wheels speed sensors
    I have replaced quite a few o2 sensors.
    I have seen a few Air Injection faults.
    As I said these cars are German with some GM influence. Thing is Saab uses the same engine as the 3.0 catera and had not had half the problems the catera has. These car are not hard to fix, can be tricky to diagnose.
  • helikhelik Posts: 1
    Hi, everybody.
    I have several problems with my 2000 Catera, but now I want to ask if somebody had the same problem. When I drive my Catera for some time, after shutting down the engine I cannot start it again for a half hour. I have to wait a the it would start again. Could you tell me what is happening?
  • I don't know the answer to your problem, but her is a link to another forum that may help. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum

This forum has alot of good info on it.
  • Hey Helik, yes several people have had the same problem and found it to be the Crank Sensor that needed replacing. Lots of people talked about it in this forum over the summer. It's my understanding that when it was hot you would have to let it cool off before trying to restart it and that was the only way of knowing it was bad. Hope this puts you in the right direction.
  • My 1997 catera has been the car from (----) replaced radiator,ac,and now the pulleys on the timing belt went out does anyone know if this an interference motor the dealer said they dont know
  • M y daughter bought a1997 catera 6 months ago and i am still repairing it ac radiator and now timing tensioner assembly do you know if this is an interference engine? I am frustrated HELP
  • I DON'T KNOW IF THIS LADY IS EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM THAT I AM HAVING. WHEN I DRIVE MY CAR, JUST HAVING AN ALTERNATOR AND A BATTERY INSTALLED. AFTER LEAVING THE REPAIR SHOP. I DROVE FOR ABOUT 9 MILES IN THE EVENING TRAFFIC AND THE CAR SPUTTERS AND THEN ON ABOUT THE 10TH MILE 3 BLOCKS FROM MY HOME, THE CAR STALLS AND WILL NOT RESTART. AFTER HAVING IT TOWED. I STARTED THE CAR AND LET IT RUN IN THE DRIVEWAY, MY HUSBAND DROVE IT ABOUT 4 BLOCKS FROM OUR HOME AND THE CARD STOPS AGAIN. AFTER 2 HRS I WENT BACK WITH SOMEONE TO DRIVE THE CAR HOME BEFORE CALL A TOW TRUCK AND THE CAR STARTS. IT IS DRIVEN BACK HOME. DROVE IT ABOUT TO THE STORE 2 BLOCKS FROM MY HOME NO PROBLEM. WHEN I ATTEMPTED TO DRIVE TO WORK THIS MORNING, THE CAR STALLED AFTER WARMING TO STANDARD OPERATING TEMPERATURE. I LET IT COOL DOWN FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES AND THE CAR STARTED BACK UP. I DROVE FOR ABOUT 1.5 MILES AND THE CAR STALLS ON THE EXIT NEAR MY JOB. 2 HRS LATER I 2 EMPLOYEES TO PICK UP MY CAR AND IT STARTED RIGHT AWAY. CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME INCITE?
  • Possibly a Crankshaft Posistion Sensor.
  • THANKS, DOES IT COST A LOT TO HAVE THE CAR REWIRED? I HAVE ALSO BEEN TOLD THAT SOME OF THE WIRES AR LOOSE ON MY WIRING HARNESS.
  • hi all looking for obd tool that will read all codes like abs,srs,ect.any help thanks