Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• The check engine has been on for about a year and had no issues. 3 weeks ago at a stop light the car died and the fuel cap light came on I went and opened and closed the cap and it started right up with no more problems that day. 4 days later the car was in park and running and died the fuel cap light came on again did the same thing opened and closed the cap and it started back up and died again right away. I took it to my mechanic and got the code P0110 for mass air flow sensor. He changed that and the check engine light is off but the car still dies. Has anyone else had similar problems? Any suggestions? Please Help!
  • I bought this catera with 95000k couple weeks ago and week later i noticed a minor cckkkk noise coming with something directly involved with the serpintine belt. I tried to identify where the noise is exactly coming from, but couldn't. Now yester day i noticed a couple of drips after i drove. So, i put some white cardboard down to determine what the leak was. It was reddish so i think it is coolant. Now today i drove to grocery store and back and parked. The leak has gotten progressively worse. :mad: After looking at it, I think it is the water pump going out. I don't know for sure. It is weekend and no place open so can't have it checked out yet. I am concerned due to how fast the leak has gotten in less than 24 hours. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions relating to what it may be or how much it will cost please let me know.
    Thanks
  • I own a 99 with 110000 miles I have the same problem. I replaced the serpintine belt about 5000 miles ago. The noise maybe a pulley that is just a stand alone pulley which I had to have replaced. The fluid I beleive is coming from the power steering pump. I have a good friend that's a professional mechanic that will look at it this weekend.
  • Hi guy's seems like a lot of new problems been poping up on you guy's guess what ME TOO LOL got a chance to see some real Hot rod cateras And none of them Have the original engine most of them I saw was 5.7 LS3 Or 3.8 Turbos Now what do that Tell you And to all you guys that drive civics..........YOU GO GIRL and MERRY CHRISMAS
  • I just purchased a 2000 Catera with 118,000 miles! Everything seems good but a few things on the inside of the car! The radio always has to be turned on when I crank the car and sometimes it just wont come on period! No matter if you were listening to it when you stopped earlier! Also it will just cut off while going down the road, and then when this happens the trunk button on the dash and the button on the key fob wont operate the trunk either! and after I get out of the car and lock it all the face lights on the radio stay on, and all the others go out after a few seconds! Also yesterday my heads lights came on at work for no reason and killed my battery so I turned off the twilight sintenal.. What could be doing this? Cadillac said I need a new radio because its not communicating with there computer and they can tell me why its doing it for that reason...Just wondering If it might be something else?? :confuse: HELP!!!!
  • The same thing with the radio happened with my 2000 Catera a few months ago. The problem was the relay board. They replaced the board, and no more problems with the radio or trunk opener. Hope this helps.
  • I just bought the car last week...apparently someone must have broken into the car and they replaced the window, but it isn't on the track. I took the door apart, but I can't get the window to go up and down. It isn't the motor b/c the mechanism works fine - I can see it going up and down when I operate the window. How do I get the plastic parts back onto the track so that the window will go up and down? :confuse:

Also, I think the car is possessed. I call her Christine because sometimes the alarm will come on for no reason at all - when I'm driving the car. I have to pull over, turn off the car and turn the key in the drivers side lock for it to stop. :blush:

The trunk has a mind of it's own also...sometimes it will open if I push the button inside and sometimes it won't. Sometimes if I turn it on, the trunk will then open. Other times I have to take the key out for the trunk to work.

I guess I should be thankful that the guy I bought the car from removed the stereo system because I don't have to worry about the radio going on and off at will. It also doesn't have a sunroof, which I'm also glad about because I've read that those like to open and close, with or without the car being on!

After I get the window working, my next task is to figure out why the driver's side won't unlock the car doors but does lock them. I'm guessing that the broken window ties into this issue. I really hate NOT knowing how to do something...and unfortunately, I don't know anyone who can teach me these things, but I'm a willing learner!

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Mich
  • Is that something that I can do? And does it cost much?? Thanks for the help!!
  • fehufehu Posts: 7
    just since the weather shifted to in the 20's and below my car won't start. sometimes it will after about 20 minutes of trying but the last two days it won't start at all.???
  • FroyFroy Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with my 2000 Cadillac Catera Sport. Does you cadi have no horsepower when you are stopped and try to peel out of the intersection and have no juice? Also once you turn it off and turn it on it runs normal again? If you answer yes to these questions then in about 6 months you will need a new transmission. I though it was the stupid computer again but its not. Good luck!
    I have the same problem with my 2000 Catera Sport. I really wanna drive this car off the cliff because of the stupid computer problems. My radio does not work and trunk release I gotta put in drive to open it! Wonderful german technology! May I ask you how much it cost you to put the relay board? Thanks a lot!
    I just recently replace my radiator and a couple days ago the upper hose came off. I thought no big deal so I put a clamp back on and I was able to drive the car home however there was no heat. The next day I put the Dex Cool antifreeze and notice the milkshake in my antifreeze reservoir. There is no antifreeze in the oil and my transmission is brand spankin new. The headgaskets I recently replaced 6 months ago. Any advice anyone? My guess is the oil cooler? Has anyone done this job before? Please help????

Please note my car has 355,000 kilometers and this car was a great car FOR ME until 300,000 kilometers with no major repairs. I still have the original timing belt or I am assuming it is chain because it hasnt broken yet. I guess I am one of the few lucky ones!
  • I'm not sure how much it was. I will check my records once I get home from vacation. At first they said it would be covered by the extended warrantee, so I paid nothing when I picked up the car...then it turned out it wasn't covered. I think it was around $200.
  • I love my 99 catera sport aside from the usual fixable problems I am veryyyy happy with my silver baby
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    It's a real pleasure to hear of someone else who is enjoying their Catera. My wife was so distrustful of our 2001 that last June I bought her a 2008 Buick Lucerne. I've kept the Catera as a weekend car,as it is worth very little on the usee car market...I keep waiting for something else to happen to it,but it's been fine for a while now....Only up to 52,000 miles.
    It is a little irksome that the collant level sensor went bad...i just haven't bothered to get the panel warning light to shut off;I understand the only fix is to replace the overflow tank.
  • It is about a 10 minute fix. Get a new overflow tank, ( as the sensor is in the btm. of the tank. remove all hoses and un plug the wires from under the tank, replace the unit re connect the hoses and it is all set to go. Buy the new tank from ebay or from the Cad. Dlr. in Chicago and the price is lower. check ebay first..... best not to use a used one as the sensor may be bad again... Good luck. By the way I have had the everyday things go wrong with our Catera, but I have been able to do the repairs myself. Water tank, heater valve and the cps ( sensor). the shop would have charged me bout 1200.00 for all three repairs, but only cost was parts about or under 100.00 as I recall.. " GET ER DONE. LOVE OUR CATERA. LEE...........
  • It is about a 10 minute fix. Get a new overflow tank, ( as the sensor is in the btm. of the tank. remove all hoses and un-plug the wires from under the tank, replace the unit re connect the hoses and it is all set to go. Buy the new tank from ebay or from the Cad. Dlr. in Chicago and the price is lower. check ebay first..... best not to use a used one as the sensor may be bad again... Good luck. By the way I have had the everyday things go wrong with our Catera, but I have been able to do the repairs myself. Water tank, heater valve and the cps ( sensor). the shop would have charged me bout 1200.00 for all three repairs, but only cost was parts about or under 100.00 as I recall.. " GET ER DONE." LOVE OUR CATERA. LEE...........
  • fehufehu Posts: 7
    well so far I know the battery is good and will hold a charge until I try and try to start it and eventually it runs down. The car turns over but won't start. Put carb leaner in the intake and nothing and then into the spark cylinders and still no start. It's almost like the computer is telling it not to start for some reason.
    I have a lot of oil on the engine from a valve cover gasket leak not sure it that is an issue?
    Starter is working because it turns over and the ingnition obviously. End of my ropes and cadi dealers down here want your first born to fix them just can't afford it.
    Any ideas????
  • ssklsskl Posts: 45
    I suggest to first of all to see if there is spark to any one cyl.. You can do that easily by twisting the easiest to get at plug wire at that plug location and pulling wire off plug carefully with pliers. Then set that plug wire end at about 1/2 inch from a surface of metal (to ground) to cause an arc that an observer can see while starting is attempted, If it arcs after several cycles you will know that the cyls. are most likely getting spark and the problem might be a lack of fuel supply.
    Try this first and we'll go from there.
    By the way carb cleaner is not meant to be used as a fuel to start with, I don't like any starting fluid, gas is good enough. You can blow the top off your intake with any fuel shot into the intake. The fuel injectors must be the only supplier of fuel.