Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• dallasdude1dallasdude1 Posts: 1,139
    These are all scratched up, not fogged up. However, there is some product/service out there which addresses that issue.
  • dgawdgaw Posts: 6
    what about the 02 sensors, coolant overflow bottle,window switches I live in dallas so let me know
  • dgawdgaw Posts: 6
    what color is your catera
  • do you still have this car?
    tom
  • need a/c fans front of car
  • My daughter was driving her 01 catera about 45 miles per hour and it stopped running. We had it towed home and pulled the codes off of it. The 1st code said miss fire, the 2nd code said camshaft position sensor. I replaced the camshaft position sensor, it did not start. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, it did not start. I checked to see if it was getting fuel, it is. I checked the ignition control modules to see if there was spark, there is. I checked to see if the timing belt was broke, it is not. The camshaft is rotating when the engine cranks. I do have a backfire in he motor while cranking it every once in a while. Can anyone help me with this?
  • Radio, trunk relay, fuel door relay and electric door locks will not work at all unless the windshield wipers are turned on. Anyone have an idea of what's wrong. I hate to take it to the dealership and have them over-quote a simple solution. I have checked all of the various fuses and everything seems to be OK. Thanks for the assistance.
  • Well first off my climate control display went dead. The when driving to work I noticed that when I start my car the daytime running lights automatically kick over to head lights as soon as u start the car. I am not sure where even start looking for a problem as for now I am following my auto guys advice and starting with the relays. But any advice would be much appreciated. Oh and my fog lights have not worked for over a year when I first purchased the car as my interior lamps. :confuse:
  • I have actually heard of this problem from another forum, the mechanic (and yes hes a mechanic) said to trace the windshield sprayer wiring for shorts and etc. And to make sure I even asked him if he was kidding and he was not. Hope it helps.
  • jairekjairek Posts: 11
    is there any other type of tie rods i can use off another car for my cadi catera 97 because im trying to get them for cheap. :confuse:
  • Well honestly there are other models like alot of BMWs that have the same parts but as far as tie rods I would probably buy them new or try a junk yard. There really is no cheap alternative. Sorry but I have looked for alot of parts cheaper and no luck so far. Try going to the cadillac web site and looking at there forum. There u can compair alot of parts against other cars to see what will work. Good hunting.
  • I;m having the same problem !!! what have you found out?
    I also have the same make and model.

A blonde in New Jersey LOL
    melanie

I also had the crank shaft sensor replaced right before this all started !!!!
    How many miles on the Catera?
    Its a gold catera at Huffines in Lewisville. They said that it would be crushed and that I was welcomed to the parts. I was going to take the Bose and seats out. However, I'm working long hours.
    I also have the same make and model.

You are certainly blonde..........LOL
    Go to Yahoo groups and join the Catera group if you want files and advise. Thake the advise for what its worth, its free. You can send off the ABS/traction control module for rebuild. However, you may have to replace the converters in the near future too. Then they also suggest the timing belt be replaced at 100K.

good luck
  • I'm thinking it's time for a new vehicle......maybe a Jeep unlimited.
    if you find out what the catera problem is...please let me know.
    First problem was I bought it ! LOL
    I got the Subaru Legacy via the cash for clunkers program. Hated to get rid of my Catera, it had 99K, but looked nearly new. Never had too many problems. Just on battery, one coolant over flow tank, one crank position sensor, a mass air flow, and one heater control valve. Stayed away from the dealer when I could. Unfortunately when the coolant overflow ruptured, my battery died too. Needless to say the dealer raped me. $300 for the battery and $700 total. Got it in 05 with 5K miles and drove it like I stole it. If only that car could talk......................LOL

The above are common to the Catera as well as the converters going out. The early years were also plagued with oil coolers bursting in the engine coolant. You might look into if the dealer has any recalls for the timing belt/oill cooler. Give them your VIN and have them run it.
    A repost

GM part number 90494163

K134 location:

Remove the trim panel from below the steering wheel.
    Remove the black vinyl covered insert that is underneath that.
    With a flashlight, lay on your back head next to the pedals and look
    up
    and to the right, over by the fender.
    Gray box just above smaller red box.
    Twist the gray box slightly clockwise and pull up.
    It should pop off it's mount.
    Now remove the wiring harness plug.
  • So my serpentine is def shredded but turns out my timing belt went. I was asked by my mechanic if I wanted to replace the whole engine or try to just fix the timing belt and hope that it works...What should I do? If there is a chance for me to replace the timing belt and it works I won't be spending so much..I am at a loss for what to do!? HELP PLEASE any info would be appreciated..