Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuel and Oil Additives

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Try a hotter set of sparkplugs, that has worked for me in the past. Simply take the plugs that you have and up the number portion of the plug identifier one or two (or even three). Back in the 1970s Chevy Vegas were notorious for laying down a smoke screen, and hotter plugs almost always worked to kill off the smoke until the owner was able to have the block bored, sleeved and rebuilt.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,855
    Actually if you do that to obnoxious types of motorcycles, I"ll chip in for your oil! :P

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,328
    Agree with the hotter plugs. In addition, change the oil to a heavier weight. If using 10/30, go to a 20/50 weight. Not a fix method of course, but will buy time.
    Don't use any STP-type products if you plan on rebuilding the engine. That stuff really gunks up an engine inside and it'll make the rebuilder pretty mad. :P

• misterzzmisterzz Posts: 15
    Thanks! You mean the round "gap gage" thing? (lol, sorry, I only know a little). Make the gap a little more apart on the plugs? Steve
    No, what we're talking about are different plugs altogether. If you pull your spark plugs out you'll see an alpha-numeric code in the side of the plug; buy another set that has the numeric portion a couple of numbers higher.
    Ok, I got it. Thank you sir. Steve
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I imagine at some point the OP will have to get the car inspected. I can't imagine it passing the emissions test?
    Its a 95, no testing for it. I'll try the different oil and different plugs. Even if it helps a little, I'll take it. Steve
    I bought this oil (good?) >> GTX 20W-50. $4.40 a quart. I'll get the plugs soon. Steve
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited March 2010
    Castrol dino GTX @ 4.40 a quart? Where are you located?
    If your engine is buring as much as it sounds like it's burning, then you really shouldn't spend too much money on oil; pretty much the cheapest stuff they have in the store will do.
    "Castrol dino GTX 4.40 a quart? Where are you located?" >>> Milw., WIS
    You should check prices at autoparts chains(Pep Boys, Advance, etc), and/or Walmart.

That's a good oil, but way way high on cost. Last time I bought synthetic at Walmart, it was less than that.
    edited March 2010
    You should check prices at autoparts chains(Pep Boys, Advance, etc), and/or Walmart.

That's a good oil, but way way high on cost. Last time I bought synthetic at Walmart, it was right at that price point.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,695
    Sounds the best to me assuming the rest of the car is in good shape.

Trouble is the wrecking yards have become very expensive.

Don't worry about the guys on motorcycles. It's good for them!

If you happen to get a motorcycle COP behind you it'll be a different story.

Seriously, it a cop pulls you over and gives you an equipment violation you will be forced into doing something immediatly.

330,000 miles, you have done well!
    I hope you guys dont mind me putting this concern here, thank you. The car over heats quite easliy these days (same car, 95 Saturn Wagon). Its only 70 outside and sitting at red lights...I over heat.

I do have a perfect level of coolant until of course it comes out the overflow, then I put a little more in. I THINK the problem might be the thermostat. What do you guys think, I value your opinion. Are they kind of easy to replace? I guess I could get a buddy to do it. Thanks, Steve
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Thermostat is the first thing I would replace.

Don't know about your Saturn in particular, but on many engines the thermostat is near the front/top of the engine, where the big top hose from the radiator connects to. Usually have to drain a bit of the coolant first to keep it from coming out from the thermostat housing.

Yes, it's definitely a project you should be able to tackle yourself, or with a bit of help.
    I would replace the thermostat. These are cheap and the job shouldn't be too hard.

Just don't put it in upside down...this happens!

Also, make sure your electric fan (s) are working too. Pretty common cause of overheating when they stop working.
    Is this true? >>> If you are over heating, put the heat on full blast? Not sure how that would help but I heard that tip years ago. Steve
    edited April 2010
    To a certain extent----not if you are actually already overheated...then you STOP and call a tow truck. But if you are idling in traffic and the heat gauge is getting up there---yeah, putting on the heater might help to keep the car from tipping over into the red.

Of course, if your car has an idiot light, by the time THAT goes on, you just turn off the key.

Speaking of additives, if your car has a tendency to get hot, but not actually overheat, you can try "Water Wetter", which is often used in racing. Unlike much additive mumbo-jumbo, this actually does work.

What is 'Water Wetter'?

Steve
    Thanks, I went to the auto store and read the bottle. My DUMB question of the week......It says to pour into radiator. I dont have a radiator cap, everything gets poured into the overflow container. Lets say I put it in and it starts to overflow from the heat. Wouldn't it just end up back on the ground? Steve
    Are you SURE you don't ahve a radiator cap? never heard of not having one.

I wouldn't waste my ,money on that stuff. Any positive effect would be marginal at best.
    Nope. Even a few of the newer cars do not have a radiator cap. Coolant/water goes into the overflow container (or out, lol). Steve
    Well, I had a new thermostat put in and I used 'Water Wetter'. It still gets to the halfway mark for overheating and its only 43 degrees outside. lol So maybe the fan or water pump? I need to get the car running great before it gets warm again. I only had this issue when it hit 75 outside. Steve
    Well guys, its been a few weeks. I now use a thick oil, an oil additive and hotter spark plugs were put in. No difference at all but thanks for all the help, it is much appreciated! Other than the smoke (and over heating) the car actually runs 'good'. I'll get something different before next winter. Steve
  • pipfindrpipfindr Posts: 34
    Has anyone tried putting in Methyl Hydrate with diesel to clean injectors before??
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,577
    "methyl hydrate" is methanol. I don't know about mixing it with diesel, I imagine there are diesel-specific fuel system treatments available that don't require experimenting with chemicals that might damage your fuel system plastics.