Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuel and Oil Additives

1596061626365»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    edited April 2010
    To a certain extent----not if you are actually already overheated...then you STOP and call a tow truck. But if you are idling in traffic and the heat gauge is getting up there---yeah, putting on the heater might help to keep the car from tipping over into the red.

Of course, if your car has an idiot light, by the time THAT goes on, you just turn off the key.

Speaking of additives, if your car has a tendency to get hot, but not actually overheat, you can try "Water Wetter", which is often used in racing. Unlike much additive mumbo-jumbo, this actually does work.

• misterzzmisterzz Posts: 15
    What is 'Water Wetter'?

Steve
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    Thanks, I went to the auto store and read the bottle. My DUMB question of the week......It says to pour into radiator. I dont have a radiator cap, everything gets poured into the overflow container. Lets say I put it in and it starts to overflow from the heat. Wouldn't it just end up back on the ground? Steve
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,599
    Are you SURE you don't ahve a radiator cap? never heard of not having one.

I wouldn't waste my ,money on that stuff. Any positive effect would be marginal at best.
    Nope. Even a few of the newer cars do not have a radiator cap. Coolant/water goes into the overflow container (or out, lol). Steve
    Well, I had a new thermostat put in and I used 'Water Wetter'. It still gets to the halfway mark for overheating and its only 43 degrees outside. lol So maybe the fan or water pump? I need to get the car running great before it gets warm again. I only had this issue when it hit 75 outside. Steve
    Well guys, its been a few weeks. I now use a thick oil, an oil additive and hotter spark plugs were put in. No difference at all but thanks for all the help, it is much appreciated! Other than the smoke (and over heating) the car actually runs 'good'. I'll get something different before next winter. Steve
  • pipfindrpipfindr Posts: 34
    Has anyone tried putting in Methyl Hydrate with diesel to clean injectors before??
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,511
    "methyl hydrate" is methanol. I don't know about mixing it with diesel, I imagine there are diesel-specific fuel system treatments available that don't require experimenting with chemicals that might damage your fuel system plastics.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,714
    Well it's been a while but the folks at ASL Camguard are finally releasing their automotive version. The differences from the aircraft-biased product are addition of friction modifiers that are claimed to reduce engine wear by 80%.

As of yet there is no info on the Camguard web site about Auto Camguard (the site has been slow to be updated), but those who contact the primary distributor (who is the primary sponsoring developer) can order it. The chemist who developed it is Ed Kollin (former head chemist of Exxon) and there is a video there explaining the product.

I'm just posting the info folks. ;)
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,993
    A journalist would like to speak to someone who fuels up with 85 octane and has experienced engine issues or a weaker performance at lower elevations because of it. If you use or have used 85 octane, and would like to share your story with a reporter, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 20 at 2 p.m. Pacific/5 p.m. Eastern.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mom0423mom0423 Posts: 14
    I have a 2002 Honda Accord 6 cyl and its in Florida. I've heard that in hot areas you should try to keep a full tank of gas to prevent condensation in the fuel tank. It this a myth or truth? I just filled it up and noticed an engine knocking at acceleration. Will a fuel additive help with this by chance? I love this forum. It's always been a great help. Thanks!
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,511
    With all the vapor controls on cars, you don't need to worry about condensation. And worry even less in hot areas, not much condensing going on, anyway.

As for the knocking, if it's loud get to a mechanic soon. If it's barely noticeable I'd try filling up with premium after it gets to a half tank and see if it goes away.

Is the 'check engine light' (or any warning light) on?
  • In 1983 I bought in San Diego, CA a glass bottle of Motor Purr power steering stop leak and put it into my 1978 Ford Fairmont with power rack & pinion steering, which had been leaking. A repair shop mechanic had estimated that the rebuild of the power rack would be about $600. Within a few days the power steering fluid leak stopped and there was no adverse side effect in the performance of my steering. I had the car for some time afterward and the steering stayed leak-free up to the day I sold the car. As I recall, the bottle indicated that Motor Purr was based in northern California, perhaps Sacramento. I live in South Carolina now and I'd like to know how to buy their products if the company is still extant. There seems to be some indication that they're still around.