Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Owners - Meet the Members

Comments

• bryanembryanem Posts: 3
    Hello, after reading 100's of posts, still having
    a hard time trying to evaluate the ride of TRD vs Non TRD. I have been unable to find a dealer with
    a D cab in stock without TRD so I can test drive
    for comparative purposes.

The TRD's I haven driven seem a bit bumpy and stiff, but other posts say non TRD's feel mushy and bouncy.

Is the TRD truck just a bouncier and stiff truck,
    or is this due to the TRD? (I am new to Toyota trucks)

Bottom line, would appreciate some guidance
    as to the pavement ride characteristics from someone who has driven both TRD and Non TRD 4WD Tacomas.

Thanks.
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    I now have a Tundra SR5 V8 4X2. I traded my V6 Tundra in for it on 12-31-01. I enjoy having the back seat, but I comprised with now having the short bed.

It came with the following options:
    Captains Chairs
    CD Cassette
    Convenience Package w/Keyless Entry
    Fog Lights
    Bedliner

The things I transferred from other Tundra:
    Hitch
    7-plug wiring harness

My truck history:
    72 Landcruiser I-6 3-speed Manual
    93 Truck Regular Cab Standard Model 5-speed
    94 T100 Regular Cab Standard Model 5-speed
    00 Tundra Regular Cab V6 5 speed
    02 Tundra SR5 V8 4X2 Automatic
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    As far as suspension goes, the only difference between TRD and non-TRD is the Bilstein shocks. The ride is supposed to be stiff: I have absolutely no desire to bottom out and hit the skid plates on rocks when I am offroading.
    I don't remember how non-TRD felt when I testdrove it. But my TRD feels great on highway.
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    As of 10 Apr 02 my 1993 Toyota 2wd pickup has 146,000 miles on it and is still going strong, and I'm about to take it down the east coast to Georgia for another trip. Nothing like it, I wish the people who designed the 22-RE 4cyl engine made everything else in my life!! Only problem in the last 25,000 miles has been a flat tire due to embedded nails.

Got all new hoses and will replace them, flush & refill with Toyota antifreeze - the red stuff, I believe - at 150k for good measure.
  • larrmlarrm Posts: 1
    We are seriously considering purchasing a new Toyota Tundra SR5 4 X 2; however, I would like a V-8 and my wife thinks a V-6 would be sufficient since the sale price would be less. What do you think?
    Had both. Go ahead and get the V8.
  • twowheelertwowheeler Posts: 89
    Not much of a fuel penalty between the two and resale value would be much better than a V6. I've got the V8 and couldn't be happier.
  • igloomasterigloomaster Posts: 249
    Hello

thinking of purchasing a 2002 Tacoma 2WD 4-cyl reg. cab in a couple of months.

a few questions to clear up beforehand:

1. Are Toyota pickup trucks 100% japanese design and 100% japanese motors?

2. Where are Tacoma's assembled?

3. I heard a rumour that Toyota's have japanese engines but GM bodies.... is that true?

4. How does the 02 Tacoma compare with the 02 Nissan Frontier?
    Thanks!
    1. Design yes, motors mostly (some parts of the engine bay have Delco units)
    2. Freemont California
    3. No
    4. More HP, More Room, More Towing Capacity
  • twowheelertwowheeler Posts: 89
    the tacoma has better resale value than the frontier. But the frontier has a deeper bed than the tacoma (I'm pretty sure).
  • higgy1higgy1 Posts: 2
    Hello I'm new to the room. I just bought me a new Tacoma I like it very well.
  • higgy1higgy1 Posts: 2
    I would like to here about everybodys Tacoma that they bought.
  • shawn00shawn00 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My name is Shawn. I drive a 2000 Tacoma, 4X4, extended cab, 4 cyl, 5-speed, sr5 package. Currently have 26000 miles on it and love the truck. I've put on bug deflector, vent visors, tail light covers, tonneau cover, and nerf bars. My only dislike is the location of the clock. Check out my web site for pics of it: www.geocities.com/rat000

SHAWN
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    I have a 2003 Tacoma. It is a 4x4 extended cab, silver, with V6, auto, TRD, sunroof, cruise, SR5 Color Key Pkg., hitch, and bucket seats. I expect I will have this truck for a long time.
  • Tundra,4X2, 4dr, V6 automatic...
    MSRP 22015...option package 2979 ..Total
    $25,504...Invoice with option total $22,703...True market value on Edmunds is $23,435. Right now with 2000 rebate...should I minus $2000 of $25,504 or minus $23,435???
    PLEASE give me some advice. Very appreciate it.
    How much should I offer ?
  • Get the V8--much more power and torque for close to same gas mileage. The V8 is a great engine--I've driven Landcruisers in Africa with the same engine, 200,000+ miles and handn't seen a dealer since they were bought, still running strong.

Get the TRD. I drove 4x4 and 4x2 with and without TRD, couldn't tell much difference. The difference will pay off big time if you are on a rough road or really 4x4ing.

I plan to keep my truck for 20+ years. However, if you might sell it within 5-10 years, more options = better resale, especially private resale.
  • bamcobamco Posts: 1
    I found a 1998 Tacoma ext. cab that I am considering buying. It will be my third Toyota truck ('85 & '91).

The 98 is a one-owner (now deceased) being sold by the son. It is an SR5 with a four cylinder, 2WD, automatic (like my 91). It has about 14K miles on the odometer, and from the looks of it, that is accurate.

The worst thing about the truck is that it was owned by a smoker. (Any suggestions for getting that nasty smell out?)

I have looked without success for any notices about this year Tacoma. Anyone know of major or minor problems with 98 Tacomas?

Thanks--Jack
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,021
    Here are a few suggestions for removing smoking odor:

There are various products you can buy that will help. Fabreeze (found at most grocery/home stores), Nok-Out(http://www.nokout.com), Odo-Ban (Sam's Club and maybe Costco?) to name a few.

If you want to go the natural home remedy route, here are some suggestions:

Soak a rag with vanilla extract and place it under the seat.

Place a bowl of white vinegar in the truck (with all windows up) overnight, or for several nights, until the odor disappears.

Place an open bag of charcoal in the truck.

Cut up an apple, put it in a plastic cup and keep it in the truck till its shriveled.

Sprinkle the entire cab, including the upholstery with baking soda. Leave it for a couple of days, if possible. Vacuum it out.

Put unused dryer sheets under the seats.

Hope this helps!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• lagitanelagitane Posts: 25
    Ok, I'm asking for feedback on a difficult problem. For those who have experiences with both, which would you prefer to drive provided the Dealer's final price was the same, both are extra cabs, (2 door in the Tundra), both with the same options (except that you can get an off-road pkg with the Pre-Runner, but alas not the V-6 Tundra (Why? I wonder). Anyway, having a struggle with this decision. I do alot of commuting, but like to take to the mountains on week-ends when I can. I live in SE AZ, and we do have some tall mountains here, believe it or not. (High Sonoran desert.) Need some power and decent traction. Dealer likely won't go for a trade to a Taco V-6, 4x4, or I'd do that in a heart beat. However,I'm like way upside down already with my trade.

Now, some of you will likely groan a this, but my trade is a recently purchased Tundra V-8, loaded w/TRD pkg, BUT gas is killing me (and high payments). I really screwed up. I miscalculated my budget by about $200 or I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. That is why I need to return it and try to trade it for either of the above mentioned vehicles before I start putting mileage on it. I'm pretty sick about this. I love this V-8. It is an exceptional truck, but don't think bankruptcy sounds like something I'd like to go through. Working a second job or eating rice and beans for the next 6 years is always an option, I suppose, but not very much fun. I am at the top of my salary ladder, so until they raise it, I'm kind of stuck.

Feedback needed ASAP and anything helpful you have to say will be much appreciated. I know, I know, didn't put much forethought into this purchase, but I'm under a lot of stress, and human, and I really messed up.

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------

While you cannot rewrite history, you will have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.
  • rlafaverrlafaver Posts: 70
    I feel for you because I've been there. But I don't think any Toyota will provide a way out. It may sound like heresy, but you almost have to go to an S-10 or a Ranger to get a decent price on 4WD. I like the S-10, and I like the V6 engine in them. I almost bought a 2WD version before I decided on Tacoma. The big rebates are the magic.
    If you gotta have a Toyota, you might want to look at the 2.7L 4 cylinder 4WD. I know they don't have the power of a V8, but a friend has one that is 10 years old and still runs great. It has a lot of torque and gets him around quick. But this is Louisiana, and there ain't no hill.
    You have to sell the Tundra to an individual in order to get a good chunk of your money back. Forget trading it. Even the Toyota dealers will rip you off.
    If you sell the Tundra for a good price, maybe you could find an older Toyota 4WD for a decent price and get clear of the money morass. I have to believe that if you try to stay with a new Toy you will just get deeper.
    Anyway, my sympathies, and I hope you escape the mess because life is too short for that kind of stress.
This discussion has been closed.