Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• melc3melc3 Posts: 2
    Just got my 2003 Tacoma Dbl Cab V6 4X2 with TRD last month and got no complain so far. The fuel consumption is 18mpg combined city and hwy driving. I'm planning to put a snug hardtop (like camper shell) on its bed. Just wanna know if any of you have some piece of advice to share which one is better, the fiberglass low-profile tonneau cover or the shell/cap? I heard that the shell or cap is noisy on the road, is this true? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • b10751b10751 Posts: 14
    Congratulations melc3 on your truck. I just bought the same truck last week. My previous truck had an ARE LSII fiberglass tonneau cover on it. I loved it..In fact, i went saturday and ordered one for the tacoma. They are kind of pricey, but they are well made, lockable, and keeps the rain out. You can check them out at www.4are.com. There are lots of other makers of hard and soft covers. Good luck!
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    They are great. I bought a used one for Xtracab off of one of our offroad club member about a year ago, had it ever since. It's a soft top with 3 support rails, buttons down on all 4 sides. The only downside is that during long trips, at high speeds (80+) the wind force is great enough to actually dislodge the support rails under the cover and drop them into the bed. Then the entire cover starts flopping :)
    Extang, SportsMaster(one I have), should all work for you.

Shell would be nice if you can get it on nice and tight, and in fact it'll provide much-needed weight in the bed to level the truck. If you can get it water-tight to the bed, it's good.
  • Does anyone know where the belt tensioner is located for replacing the serpentine belt on a 2001 V8 Tundra?
  • I have a 1997 T-100 and want to upgrade the speaker system. Has anyone ever done this using the factory mounting placement? How did it sound? What kind of speakers did you use and how much did you spend? Any input would be greatly appreciated. It is an extended cab.
  • I used to own a 94 T-100 regular cab. It did not come with a radio. I bought a single CD and boston acoustic speakers. It sounded wonderful with the speaker placement in the doors. Those doors make good bass from the 6 and a half speaker. Considering this was 8 years ago, the speakers were 160.

You will notice a huge difference.
  • jbh60jbh60 Posts: 3
    Anybody of Dcab owners found a good set of seat covers? Seems like the back seat covers are hard to find!
  • brucec35brucec35 Posts: 246
    The tensioner is a spring loaded one, just look under the hood, it's the pulley not doing anything else! It will rotate a few inches when you apply a wrench to it, unlike the others.

Just buy or borrow a long wrench, take the tension off, remove the old belt, and put the new one on. Simple.
    I would recommend a goodyear gatorback belt (ask your part store guy) since they are said to be quieter and long lasting.
  • brucec35brucec35 Posts: 246
    try truckperformance.com. They have lots of accessories, sorted by vehicle. They had front and back sets last time I looked in several types of colors (incl factory) and finishes.
  • Does anyone know if the 94 Toyota pickup has an opening somewhere in the door frame for a door speaker. I have rear and dash speakers, and I didn't want to rip the door apart if I can secure my answer here. I would like to add speakers in the doors if possible. My 03 has door speakers and it makes a marked difference in clarity.

B
  • oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    Last weekend I replaced the cassette stereo in my 1996 LX V-6 with a double-DIN, CD/cassette unit from a 2000 Solara. I bought the Solara unit on E-bay for $100 plus shipping.

Once I figured out how to take the dash apart, it was a simple "plug & play" installation. It sounds good, works great, and looks like a factory installed option. A nice, inexpensive upgrade that will pay for itself in resale value.

If anyone out there is interested in the installation details, I could elaborate.

-james
    DISCLAIMER - use at your own risk.

If you're like me, you like to: (1) get in your truck, (2) start the engine, (3) put on your seatbelt (while the engine gets its oil up to pressure & circulating), then (4) drive off. The problem is that the "idiot-chime" will be reminding you to fasten your seatbelt in between (3) and (4).

For those people who don't need to be reminded, there is an easy solution. Beneath the drivers seat there is a 2-wire connector. Disconnect it and, voila!!... no more seatbelt warning chime. The chime will still remind you if your lights are on or key is in the ignition.

Warning - possible connection between that wire and the airbag system... I don't think so, but use at your own risk.

-james
  • wyeastwyeast Posts: 22
    Hi James,

Wondering if you could describe how you got the dash apart to replace the radio. We now have a spare stereo/cd from an '02 Highlander that looks like it will fit but I don't know how to take the dash apart. The truck is a '99 Prerunner but I'd bet its similar to your '96 LX. Any info you could pass on would be appreciated.
    I bet it will fit.

The center dash unit (on my truck) is held in place at 6 points: two screws in the center (behind the climate control panel), two "pop-out" fasteners on top, and two "hook tabs" on the bottom.

1) remove the knobs from the heater controls (put in a safe place).

2) My truck has slide-type heater controls. Yours may be rotary, so this might be slightly different. Using a small, flat-blade screw driver or pocket knife, carefully pry up the climate control cover panel. 2 screws should be revealed. Remove and lay aside.

3) pry the right top corner of the center assembly out. It should pop loose. (I actually removed the glove box and pushed it loose from behind, but that is unnecessary). Pull the other top corner loose.

4) if you have in-dash cupholders, pull them out to the extended position, then tip the entire assembly forward and lift up. There may be electrical connections tying the unit to the dash. Disconnect (squeeze-pull) and lay aside.

5) remove the 4 screws retaining the radio unit. I don't recall if the are Phillips or hex-head (maybe 8mm). Slide the unit out and unplug the 2 multi-connectors and antenna lead. The antenna is a tight fit, but it pulls out. Twist as you pull - may help.

In my installation, the mounting brackets on the replacement radio didn't fit. I removed the brackets from the old radio and they fit PERFECTLY on the new one. Plug in the connectors, test the radio (make sure it works properly), and screw everything back together.

Good Luck !!! Let me know how it works out.

-james
    Thanks for the info James. We have the sliding type controls so it sounds similar. Will give the replacement a shot this weekend. Thanks again!
    Hey Jim,

Thanks again for the dash removal instructions. They were right on - at least as far we got. Once we found the screws we decided it would be worth measuring before going any further(should have started with that anyway). Turns out the Highlander head unit (radio, cd and cassetter) is about 3/4" too wide. But, it we find something that will fit at least we know to get into the dash now. Thanks again!
  • brews1brews1 Posts: 40
    Does anyone know how hard it is to add a RS3000 alarm system to a 2003 Tundra. Looks like it just plugs in but thinking there must be more to it. I have factory keyless entry.
  • krunkykrunky Posts: 21
    Just bought an '01 Tacoma Double cab. Great truck, but sans floor mats. No problem because I'd get aftermarket ones anyway. Any suggestions. I am looking at Husky and Nifty.
  • Tundra 4X2,4dr,V6 automatic...
    MSRP 22015...option package 2979 ..Total
    $25,504...Invoice with option total $22,703...True market value on Edmunds is $23,435. Right now with 2000 rebate...should I minus $2000 of $25,504 or minus $23,435???
    PLEASE give me some advice. Very appreciate it.
    How much should I offer ?
    cross posting is frowned upon, it clutters up the boards
  • will adding a rear sway bar like Heliwig make any difference in handling, will K/N intake be helpful for the price??? anyone having exhaust ping and goes away within minutes ? cracked manifold?
  • gasman1gasman1 Posts: 321
    Hellweg sway bars are suppose to do wonders for the handling. They do have a draw-back if you go off-road, they don't allow the rear supension to works as it should. Another altenative is a Roadmaster Active Suspension that attaches to the springs. I'll be installing one on my Tundra this weekend. I've heard great things about both and some people even have both installed.

I have K&N on all of my vehicles. I really don't notice that much difference in power or mileage. I had one on a '91 Ford Festiva and it really improved the performance.
  • fragerfrager Posts: 5
    My Tacoma, 4wd, TRD, DC, v6 did not come with a towing package. I installed a class 3 hitch and a transmission oil cooler. Do I need anything else to be safe in class 3 weight.
  • limadeltalimadelta Posts: 49
    Has anyone installed the TRD Supercharger on their 4.7L Tundra?

I would love to hear your comments.
    Thanks!
    Trailer brakes: Either surge or electric. Unless you are towing a pretty light trailer.

-james
  • fragerfrager Posts: 5
    Thanks james!
    I hate to be a pest but can you explain how surge brakes work. I know about electric brakes and looked in howstuffworks but found no explanation on surge brakes.
    Thanks FR
    I'm no expert. I've never owned a trailer with brakes. But from what I've read, surge brakes are automatically applied whenever the vehicle decelerates. I'm guessing that they have a sensor that "reads" the deceleration and applies the brakes. They do not provide a powerful braking effect, but help some and also prevent fishtailing and jackknifing.

I've been told that surge brakes misinterpret "backing uphill" as deceleration and the brakes will drag in that case, but that doesn't seem to be a big problem.

Electric brakes seem to be a superior system, but either is better than nothing for towing a heavy load.

If anyone knows more, or if my understanding is incorrect, please speak up.

-james
  • Hello guys. I want to know what is the exact part number for the bedline that fits the following

2003 toyota tacoma Prerunner regular cab (under the rail) and how much this item goes for.

What tonneau cover is best for above vehicle (under $300.00)
  • zero260zero260 Posts: 14
    I purchased Tundra four months ago, everything has been fine so far. Two months after my purchase I decided to install seat covers. All covers were installed except the rear seat back cushion because it could not be removed. I then took it to the Toyota dealer and they couldn't figure out how to remove it either. Has anyone successfully removed the back seat before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.