Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Care and Maintenance

Comments

• I OWN A 95 TOYOTA TACOMA 2.4 I HAVENT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT EXCEPT THE MANIFOLD HAS BEEN REPLACED 3 TIMES. IT KEEPS CRACKING THEM IN HALF AND THE STUDS THAT CONNECT IT TO THE PIPE COME LOOSE ALL THE TIME. PLEASE SHARE YOUR INPUT, THANK YOU
  • vabundezvabundez Posts: 2
    where is the transmission gauge located in a 2006 toyota tacoma v6??
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Posts: 471
    There isn't one. It just has a fill hole on the side of the transmission. If the fluid is up to hole then the the fluid level is fine. Kind of like the rear differential.
  • Just had my "Maintanence Required" light to come on and stay on - on my 2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab pickup. Mileage is at 11,000 +.

Anyone know what I need to check for or probably replace?

Thanks for your replies.
  • kbcvgkbcvg Posts: 1
    I have an '05 Tacoma, V6. Any idea how to loosen and remove the oil filter housing in order to turn it upside down to take off the filter?
  • cctruckcctruck Posts: 4
    It probably just means you need to change the oil, I think they're set to go off every 5K and the mechanic resets it after doing the maintenance. You can reset it yourself, look in the manual for instructions.

hth;

DCraig.
  • nytaco05nytaco05 Posts: 13
    Its just part of the new smart cars system. Everyday it self diagnose itself and keeps track of the last maintenance period as well. It is programmed to set off every 5k miles or so, unless there is a malfunction with the engine or brakes or anything in that nature.
  • Well, that is a story in itself because I have had the last and first two oil changes since I bought this Taco at a Pennzoil oil change center. The first time I had the oil changed, I checked the oil immediately after they changed it and it showed up as a slighty clear color on the dipstick and the oil filter was a Pennzoil brand filter. A little oil was spilled also. No biggy, just a sure sign that it was changed.

Second time, (After 3K miles) I checked the oil's color and it had become more of a brown color by then and so I went back to the same place and had it changed again. I checked it when my wife brought it home and guess what? Same brown color, no signs of oil spillage, dust still on the filter, and the "Maint Required" light comes on about 2 weeks after that.

I think I will change it myself from now on.

So, how do those of us that use jiffy-type lube up centers now for a solid fact that thier oil is actually being changed?
  • nytaco05nytaco05 Posts: 13
    I take my truck to the dealership. Its not cheap, but I love the customer service there and the quality of their work. I rather pay the extra $ knowing that it's being spent rightfully. You know what they say, you get what you paid for.
  • Great! You need a pat on the back but, I think you missed the point. There is no sure way of knowing that they changed it for sure unless you change it yourself. Even your friendly dealer to whom you like to spend more money on because you want to get what you pay for, could be doing the same thing with a smile. That's my point.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    To reset the maintenance light, with the truck turned off, push and hold the trip meter button while turning on the ignition. Think you have to hold it like 5 seconds. As for making sure the oil gets changed, either mark the drain plug with a paint pen days in advance. Then make sure the seal was broken. I personally prefer to go to a place where I can watch them do it. Don't believe the insurance won't allow you in the shop crap. The only reason they don't want you out there is because they don't want you to know what they are doing. Most places design their shop with a viewing window to allow you to watch without getting dirty or run over.
  • Yea, I did the reset thingy and changed the oil myself this time with Mobil 1 Synthetic and a Toyota branded filter. Pat me on the back! he he

Thanks for the replies in these forums. Helped out alot.
  • steveh427steveh427 Posts: 25
    I drive my '05 Double cab about 2 to 3 times per week. I was thinking of using something like Lucas Oil stabilizer to better protect the engine from cold starts. Has anyone used this and what is your opinion? Also, another general questions that someone many know. On average, how long does it take for oil to completely circulate throughout the engine?
  • seranikoseraniko Posts: 27
    reset topic is at p 157 of your owners manual on a taco.
    In the 05 owners manual I think it's on page 150 or 151. I do my own oil changes because I'm the only person that I totally trust to do it right. ;)

Mobil 1 synthetic is a good choice for Toyota engines. It is very compatible with the metalurgy of Toyota engines. I use Napa, Mobil 1, or K&N oil filters. Stay away from Fram filters; poor contstruction. BTW, the Mobil 1 part number for a 4.0 liter engine is M-102 I think, or for the same price you can get the larger capacity M-209, which is what I use.
  • Hey does anyone know if the technician service manual is any good.
  • I have an 05 Tacoma and heard its good to use Castrol 5-30. I am using Toyota Filters as well. Any reason you like the Mobil 1 oil better and are using the different filters? How many quarts of oil do you put in? I used 5 on my last change.
  • I had excellent luck using only Castrol Syntec in my '89 Toyota truck, (260,000 miles, no burning or consumption, traded it :sick: for a piece of garbage Jeep Cherokee, which cost me $3000 a year in maintenance )and my '07 Tacoma will get the same thing
    Toyota engines really work well with Mobil1 oil and filters. It's proven. I've tried Amsoil, RoyalPurple, etc. Mobil1 is the way to go, in a Toyota.