Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Truck Owners - Future Models

Comments

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    Not sure if you can really tell from these photos.

Chicago Auto Show: 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    It is bigger than the new F150 Crew Cab that is coming out this summer.
  • I've heard from a fairly reliable source inside toyota that the great mid-gate design in the popular Chevy Avalanche and upcoming GMC Envoy XUV will be coming out in the 2006 Tundra(Double Cab). Any truth to this exciting rumor Toyotaken, others?
    Also I've heard the Tundra will be coming out with a 3/4 & 1 ton versions with 5.4L V-8 gas, 5.7L V-8 gas and 6.0L Turbo-diesel powerplants about the same time. If so, does Toyota have any history/experience with the proposed turbo-diesel engine?
  • I've heard from a fairly reliable source inside toyota that the great mid-gate design in the popular Chevy Avalanche and upcoming GMC Envoy XUV will be coming out in the 2006 Tundra(Double Cab). Any truth to this exciting rumor Toyotaken, others?
    Also I've heard the Tundra will be coming out with a 3/4 & 1 ton versions with 5.4L V-8 gas, 5.7L V-8 gas and 6.0L Turbo-diesel powerplants about the same time. If so, does Toyota have any history/experience with the proposed turbo-diesel engine?
  • I'll be honest with you, I have not heard anything about an "avalance-like" model of the Tundra, but I would not say that it is an impossibility. What I have heard about the re-design is that it will be ALOT bigger. How much so, I don't know. Toyota doesn't tell us any more than the public and often less.

As for info on the larger engines, I don't know the exact sizes, but I've heard that they will be in the mid- 5L range. As for the turbo-diesels, Toyota has a HUGE number of vehicle and engine configurations worldwide that may or may not be available here in the US. Quite a few of them do have diesel and turbo-diesel engine configurations. The biggest difficulty for diesels here is the very low demand for them compared to other countries and the difficulty if meeting emissions requirements with the current fuel quality standards.

I do know that they plan on a "super-duty" truck to be sold and probably built here that they have pegged for a 2006 launch so far.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • I just talked to a dealer in Texas and he could not give me any pricing on the Tundra Double Cab. He did say that it would only be available in a Limited Edition. I feel that this would be a large mistake for the success of this truck. My wife would own a Sequoia if it were available with a few less options. She is now in a 2001 Sienna. I currently drive a '95 T-100 SR-5 4x4 with 147,000 miles on it. It has been in the shop once for a Toyota recall on the head gaskets. You cannot beat the quality of these vehicles. I am posed with the difficult decision if I should get the new double cab or wait for the super duty.
  • steveb84steveb84 Posts: 187
    To begin with, the Tundra "Big Rig" will have the 4.7 V8, but they are trying squeeze more horsepower out of it. The plan is to roll out a 5.5 L within 12 months of the Double Cab launch, target for the 5.5 is over 300 hp.

There was a story in Truck Trend that there was going to be a truck/SUV hybrid like an Avalanche. I've heard nothing about that through Toyota channels.

I think the Double Cab will be offered in more than just Limited trim.

Toyota just bought 700 acres of land in Texas, there is the new engine plant in Alabama, and Tacoma production is increasing with a new plant in Mexico. Toyota is serious about increasing their truck business, and the one thing I've learned in seven years is - If Toyota says they are going to do something, they do it.

Seems like we've just scratched the surface of the truck plans for the future.

Steve
  • rosey 4: Can not comment on interior. not allowed in truck. I am hoping it is bigger than current. Looked bigger but not by much. Nothing compared to the new Nissan that was at the show also.
  • rosey4rosey4 Posts: 42
    Is there any late information out regarding the new Tundra Crew Cab? Read where it was unveiled sometime ago, but don't know when it will become available.
  • autonutsautonuts Posts: 138
    if Toyota plans to put a hybrid engine in the Tundra? Any links out there about this? I would welcome this what with the much better gas mileage. Hopefully the cost wouldn't be too high!
  • 774774 Posts: 101
    I own a 2001 Sequoia and it is by far the very best vehicle I have ever owned.Does any one know what the starting cost of the new 4 door 2004 Tundra.
    Does anyone know if Toyota will build a heavy duty Tundra next year? There was some talk that Toyota would build a duely, but I don't know when.
  • kcflyerkcflyer Posts: 78
    A salesman I spoke with last week mentioned that Toyota was going to make 3/4 and 1 ton trucks next year. He didn't say where he was getting his info. This was a dealer in Enid Oklahoma where everybody and there brother drives heavy duty 4x4 crew cab pickups.
    Not much is being discussed about the Tundra Double Cab. Is there any information available on the Double Cab? With the 2004 model vehicles hitting the show room floors in August, are we talking early or late fall for the Tundra Double Cab? Take a look at this picture of the Double Cab, does'nt it look like a beast? I am eagerly awaiting to purchase one. Can anyone estimate what the cost will be?

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/0302_chicago_toyota/index- .html
    For details, your best bet is on Toyota's website and sign up for updates.

The Double Cab won't be arriving until November.
  • reggiedoreggiedo Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Toyota plans to offer XM radio systems as an option? The Crew Cab sounds awesome but would love to see XM radio availability from the factory.
  • does anyone know what the price range is supposed to be on the tundra crew cab? Does it come standard with captains chairs?
  • sorry to all of those who've been asking questions and I haven't answered. I haven't been on the site in a while but I hope I can get on a bit more frequently.

First of all, for those asking about a superduty version of the tudra. They are building a new plant in Texas as we speak that will be building superduty models of the tundra. The estimate that I've heard for production is 2006 or 2007 at this point.

Toyota is starting to offer xm radio as an option in a few of their vehicles and will widen their offerings within the next few years. I don't know when it will be avialable on the Tundra, however.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • I'm a little curious why I see so little media attention on the upcoming double cab as compared to the Titan and new F-150. Is it possible that Toyota is deliberately keeping it low key? Does anyone have anything solid on when we will start seeing them at dealers? Lastly, and this is really crystal ball stuff, but is Toyota planning to address the power short fall in their V8 to as compared to all the other full size trucks?
  • ronstoyronstoy Posts: 55
    Toyota's website says the double cab will be available this Fall, when exactly is the Fall? I would like to see one in person, anyone out there see one yet?
    Thanks.
    to hit dealer lots in early-November.

There is a rumor of a 5.4 or 5.5 V8 coming next year.
    For those who have seen the Double Cab, please comments after reading the attached article. I am very eager to purchase the Double Cab. I, like the writer of the attached article, owned a Tundra Access Cab, but sold it to purchase an Odyssey. I needed the space the access cab couldn't provide. Is Toyota sacrificing some of what made the Toyota an impressive vehicle for size? Does anyone know what the cost might be?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6437&sid=27- 5&n=157
    Talked to my dealer today. They expect the first doublecab by mid November. The salesman stated emphatically that the current model tundra will continue in its present form. The doublecab is an addition too, not a replacement for the current truck line. He also said that a 3/4 ton model will follow but not for two years. I ask specifically if a lager engine would be available in the doublecab and was told no. This guy seems better informed that most sales people (which I know isn't saying much)
    I was just looking on the toyota web site and the tundra information available only mentions a five passenger seating setup for the doublecab. Does anyone know for sure if a six passenger setup will be available? It's hard to believe toyota would be that short sighted.
  • MOST DEALERS IN DALLAS/FT. WORTH HAVE ONE CREW CAB TUNDRA, NO 4X4'S YET. I DROVE A LIMITED. A VERY NICE LOOKING TRUCK BUT I AM A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED. EVEN WITH THE STANDARD TOWING PKG,THE TOWING CAP.DROPS TO 6600 LBS ON A CREW CAB 4X4, AND NO BENCH SEAT IS AVAILABLE. THE TRUCK DID NOT FEEL HEAVY OR SLUGGISH AND HAS A GREAT RIDE. THIS DEALER ADDED $2000.00 TO THE MSRP AND SAID THEY WERENT COMING OFF OF IT FOR AWHILE! IT'S PROBABLY THE RIGHT TRUCK FOR ME ONCE THE PRICE GOES DOWN. I'M NOT INTO BIGGEST AND FASTEST, JUST THE BEST QUALITY. I THINK TOYOTA IS ABOUT TO BE PLAYING CATCH UP ONCE THE NEW NISSAN TITAN IS RELEASED NEXT MONTH. THEY HAVE ONCE AGAIN MISSED THE CHANCE TO WIN A LOT OF NEW CUSTOMERS AND DO SOMETHING GROUND BREAKING BY BEEFING UP THE MOTOR AND TOWING CAP..
  • It sounds like the guy responsible for the latest version of the dodge minivan not having a folding third row seat has a new job at Toyota. Every manufacturer except toyota offers a six passenger setup on their crew cabs. Not to mention 300 plus horsepower. I am very disappointed as I was looking forward to being a first time Toyota owner.
  • I tried to post this once before and didn't realize I was breaking the Members Agreement. I'll post it again, listing only the retail prices for an '04 Double Cab.

Base retail for a 2004 Double Cab Tundra is $28975.00 (plus tax, title, license, service fees)
    Expect to pay about $37903.00 for a loaded Limited level Double Cab Tundra.

Options included on our Double Cab are:
    -all weather guard
    -JBL AM/FM/Cass/6 CD in-dash changer & 8 speakers
    -driver/front passenger heated seats
    -leather seats w/driver's power seat
    -overhead console w/compass, temp gauge, Homelink
    -color-keyed running boards
    -synthetic wood trim
    -4.100mm limited slip differential
    -moonroof w/tilt
    -towing package
    -130 amp alternator, transmission cooler
    -metallic paint
    -auto-dimming mirror
    -carpet door mats w/door sill protector

If you are being told by a salesman there will be full sticker plus a premium, do the smart thing and walk out. I know we are not doing a premium here in central Wisconsin.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want any more specific information, I might be able to provide it.
  • My wife and I went to pick up our Sequioa at the dealer for some routine maint. and was looking for the Double cab. Saw one, but didn't realize until looking through the windows that is was already sold and had temp tags on it. I guess it came in on 11/5 and was sold. It was a white limited. It looked very nice.
    I would like to test drive one, especially after that less than stellar review about power (said it felt more like the Sequioa vs. the Tundra, power-wise).
    Hopefully there will be more on the lot soon.
  • I have been comparing the new Tundra crew cab and the GMC 2500 crew cab. Ever since I have owned Toyotas (10 years), I have not been a big three fan. The Tundra is a little taller and longer, but the shoulder room is less. It appears that the Tundra cab is about 4 inches narrower than the GMC. You can feel it when sitting in them. The GMC has much more buttons and switches and looks crowded compared with the dash of the Tundra. The GMC rear window does not open at all, the Tundra's opens completely. I still am unsure which one I really want. The low towing capacity keeps pushing me away from the Tundra, but my past experience with Toyota quality keeps pulling me back...
This discussion has been closed.