Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Truck Owners - Future Models

Comments

• Any word or has anyone seen any signs of what the Tacoma will look like for 2004? Is the 4-Runner the precursor to a new Tacoma platform?

The car show hits St.Louis next week....

B
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    The new generation of the 4Runner is a stand-alone platform. Other than the V6 engine, there will be no shared platform with the new Tacoma. From what I've been told, look for a "Dakota" sized tacoma when it is released.

Ken
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    I just heard a rumor and it looks as though it is true that Toyota will have the crew-cab Tundra (4 full-sized doors) spotlighted prominently in the upcoming Terminator 3 movie. Sounds pretty good to me!

Ken
  • mca2mca2 Posts: 20
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=604&- amp;- amp;- amp;- amp;- amp;thumb=1

Love the Sun roof and roll down back windows (like the 4 Runner)

Make sure you pick 24 picture per page to view the nice pic of the inside.
  • steveb84steveb84 Posts: 187
    The T3 was shown at LosAngles Auto Show, actually a modified Access Cab. Maybe the one in the movie is a Double Cab, but the timing doesn't seem to make sense.
  • But I heard Toyota will have a total redesign of Tundra for 2005/2006 model year. I guess that'll include the crew cab. I hate to buy a new truck that'll look old in just two years.

What's your take?

Bob
  • mca2mca2 Posts: 20
    Toyota has introduced the new 2004 crew cab. My link above shows the new 2004 crew cab from all angles. Its bigger then the new 150 crew cab thats coming out.
  • What changes are in store for the Tundra under the hood, transmission, and gears?

B
  • Attended the show this weekend and the crew cab was on display. According to the Toyota reps will be available this fall. Was very sharp on the outside but could not get an up close or interior look. Also saw an ad in last weeks USA Today.
  • rosey4rosey4 Posts: 42
    You say you saw the Crew Cab at the Chicago Auto Show. Is it extremly large? I talked to a Toyota rep over the phone last week, who told me the Crew Cab is very large. Larger in the front seat, and much more space in the back seat for adults. I am looking forward to seeing in later in the fall
  • Not sure if you can really tell from these photos.

Chicago Auto Show: 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    It is bigger than the new F150 Crew Cab that is coming out this summer.
  • I've heard from a fairly reliable source inside toyota that the great mid-gate design in the popular Chevy Avalanche and upcoming GMC Envoy XUV will be coming out in the 2006 Tundra(Double Cab). Any truth to this exciting rumor Toyotaken, others?
    Also I've heard the Tundra will be coming out with a 3/4 & 1 ton versions with 5.4L V-8 gas, 5.7L V-8 gas and 6.0L Turbo-diesel powerplants about the same time. If so, does Toyota have any history/experience with the proposed turbo-diesel engine?
  • I've heard from a fairly reliable source inside toyota that the great mid-gate design in the popular Chevy Avalanche and upcoming GMC Envoy XUV will be coming out in the 2006 Tundra(Double Cab). Any truth to this exciting rumor Toyotaken, others?
    Also I've heard the Tundra will be coming out with a 3/4 & 1 ton versions with 5.4L V-8 gas, 5.7L V-8 gas and 6.0L Turbo-diesel powerplants about the same time. If so, does Toyota have any history/experience with the proposed turbo-diesel engine?
  • I'll be honest with you, I have not heard anything about an "avalance-like" model of the Tundra, but I would not say that it is an impossibility. What I have heard about the re-design is that it will be ALOT bigger. How much so, I don't know. Toyota doesn't tell us any more than the public and often less.

As for info on the larger engines, I don't know the exact sizes, but I've heard that they will be in the mid- 5L range. As for the turbo-diesels, Toyota has a HUGE number of vehicle and engine configurations worldwide that may or may not be available here in the US. Quite a few of them do have diesel and turbo-diesel engine configurations. The biggest difficulty for diesels here is the very low demand for them compared to other countries and the difficulty if meeting emissions requirements with the current fuel quality standards.

I do know that they plan on a "super-duty" truck to be sold and probably built here that they have pegged for a 2006 launch so far.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • I just talked to a dealer in Texas and he could not give me any pricing on the Tundra Double Cab. He did say that it would only be available in a Limited Edition. I feel that this would be a large mistake for the success of this truck. My wife would own a Sequoia if it were available with a few less options. She is now in a 2001 Sienna. I currently drive a '95 T-100 SR-5 4x4 with 147,000 miles on it. It has been in the shop once for a Toyota recall on the head gaskets. You cannot beat the quality of these vehicles. I am posed with the difficult decision if I should get the new double cab or wait for the super duty.
  • steveb84steveb84 Posts: 187
    To begin with, the Tundra "Big Rig" will have the 4.7 V8, but they are trying squeeze more horsepower out of it. The plan is to roll out a 5.5 L within 12 months of the Double Cab launch, target for the 5.5 is over 300 hp.

There was a story in Truck Trend that there was going to be a truck/SUV hybrid like an Avalanche. I've heard nothing about that through Toyota channels.

I think the Double Cab will be offered in more than just Limited trim.

Toyota just bought 700 acres of land in Texas, there is the new engine plant in Alabama, and Tacoma production is increasing with a new plant in Mexico. Toyota is serious about increasing their truck business, and the one thing I've learned in seven years is - If Toyota says they are going to do something, they do it.

Seems like we've just scratched the surface of the truck plans for the future.

Steve
  • rosey 4: Can not comment on interior. not allowed in truck. I am hoping it is bigger than current. Looked bigger but not by much. Nothing compared to the new Nissan that was at the show also.
  • rosey4rosey4 Posts: 42
    Is there any late information out regarding the new Tundra Crew Cab? Read where it was unveiled sometime ago, but don't know when it will become available.
This discussion has been closed.