Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Truck Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• jimmccjimmcc Posts: 15
    Hello, I bought an 05' Double cab, 4x4 off-road pkg, 6 spd manual last friday, and was wondering if anyone has experienced the engine reving up when coming to a traffic/stop light? It revs about 1500-200 rpm's for a few seconds while in neutral before idling down. I went to the dealer and they said (after a phone call to Toyota) that it does that to clean out the converter. It sounds fishy to me so I thought I'd ask. I apologize if this was covered in a previous post.
    Ok, I guess everyone just posts questions but no one actually gets an answer.
  • baileys1baileys1 Posts: 16
    thanks for the info footpounds! will try it
    jimmcc, we answewring by posting a new message when we do have a answer... :)
  • msibillemsibille Posts: 275
    I suspect that everyone who has not noticed it is standing aside for anyone who has to post. FWIW, I've never noticed it w/ my 2005 DC Taco.

Understand that if everyone who has not noticed a similar prblm posts, you'll have hundreds, maybe thousands of responses that give you very little help.
  • boone88rrboone88rr Posts: 194
    I have the 4x4 V6 6-speed Access Cab. I haven't experienced that but I've read that other people have. I'm not sure if it was on edmunds or toyotanation. Funny thing is they all had automatics. It seems strange that a manual would rev up in neutral. Yours is a fairly new truck so it's entirely possibly the trucks computer is getting a bad reading from the cat and trying to remedy itself. It may have been sitting on the lot or something for a while collecting condensation. The response you got seems plausible, that is the reason the engine revs so high on startup is clean out the emissions. If it doesn't stop in the next week or so you might want to try and disconnect the battery for 10 min and reset the computer then reconnect and drive it around. If none of that solves the problem, take the truck to the dealer.
  • jmc1975jmc1975 Posts: 3
    I've got the same problem, however, my problem is just into overdrive. I have a '94 Xtracab 4x4 with V6 and Automatic. It currently has 84k on it. I have thought about replacing the thermostat but haven't done so yet. I had a similar problem on a '92 Honda Accord and a new thermostat fixed the problem. Good luck!
  • Is it hard to change the oil in a 1999 Tacoma 2 wd 5 spd transmission. The truck is new to me and the dealer wants $ 59.95 to do it.
  • Hi,
    It appears you are getting some advice. Some of their theories sound feasible. If they prove otherwise and the dealership doesn't help you. Try www.toyota.com. Its worked for me a couple times. If I can find the time, I'll try searching also (my curiosity is getting the best of me). Good Luck
    Thanks guys (and gals if any) for the numerous responses. I called Toyota myself yesterday and they refered me back to my dealership. Go figure. Anyway the problem seems to be going away. I have 674 miles on the vehicle and it now only revs to about 1200 rpms before coming to a nice idle at about 750-800 rpms. Maybe its programmed during break-in or something.
  • eric666eric666 Posts: 2
    My 05 Taco v6 also does the RPM thing..I figure because of the fly by wire accelerator. I have noticed a few different quirks with the truck,,but until it is broken in I will let most slide,,1400 km
  • zork51zork51 Posts: 5
    Hello,

I currently drive an 03 Tacoma SR5. I'm 51 with lower back problems at times. However, I don't have complaints about my current ride. I have a deposit on an 05. TRD with the Sport seats, but they bother my back as well as my fiance'. I asked the manager today if I could get the "regular" cloth fabric seats like in my truck now. He said Toyota wouldn't do it for legal reasons in the event of a crash. So it looks like I may have to pass on this beautiful truck, because of lower back discomfort. I have no problem with the 03.

It is also a few db's quieter at highway speeds but I thought that would be better also. HOWEVER, this issue is the seats. It seems to get all the goodies, you have to get sport seats????

Does anyone know if the 06's will be better for seat option/comfort???

Thanks
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    Got my brakes done last year, and got the front bearings done last week. No problem with the oxygen sensor yet. Hopefully, this will be the last of them. At least all the work is free.

I hope the new Tundra fares better.
    Hey guys! I found the problem!!! I toke my seat out the truck and put it on a bench. I lub every parts of it with a oilless lubricant and I think the squeaking was coming from the attachement of the spring holding the bottom coussin, under the seat. Anyway, no more sqeaking!!! Enjoy the ride! ;)
  • rvaldezrvaldez Posts: 6
    Hello, I just bought a new 2005 Taco double cab. I sat in the sport seats and they too were unconfortable for me. I decided on going with the SR5 package #5. The seats were upgraded and felt fine. Hope this helps. Check out the package on Edmunds accessories for the Taco.
  • Well bb, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have the same thing happening on my '89, only it is 1st and 2nd.
  • ric4ric4 Posts: 1
    I have electric locks on my 02 Tacoma, and i have purchased a keyless entry kit. Has anyone done this installation already? Any tips on where to locate the control module? It comes with a 10 pin harness , and a 3 pin harness for the locking pulses to the lock master switch. Also, any tips on the installation process will be helpful. I don't need to reinvent the wheel! Thanks for any suggestions. ric4
  • doneadonea Posts: 1
    I also have a 2005 Tacoma 2x4 w/manual transmission that rattles terribly in idle, it is so bad that on a hot day it sounds like a big diesel truck! I thought it was the AC compressor at first because it was more prominent with the AC on, but the dealer discovered it was in the transmission and it is just more prominent when the idle kicks up with the AC on. Like you guys, they tell me it is "normal". Hard to sell me on this. They are now offering to put in a synthetic gear lube under duress - any ideas?
  • msibillemsibille Posts: 275
    Sounds like bad throw-out brg, clutch fork arm, or pressure plate.
  • andygilandygil Posts: 2
    For the past few months, I have had an awful musty smell coming from my AC unit in my 2002 Tundra. Any advice on how to clean this out would be appreciated.

andy
This discussion has been closed.