Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Truck Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    That rig got U-joints?
    If so, have you checked them out?
  • ted77ted77 Posts: 3
    It does have ujoints in the front, could it be the wheel barings as well or is it more likely to be the u-joints?
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    I'm no doctor, but...

I'd see if there is play in the U-joint. Grip tight and twist things, see if there is any play at all (there shouldn't be). And if there is a grease nipple, shoot some grease into it, and see if that affects things.

My experience is that wheel bearing problems show up first at low speeds, especially while turning. Yours doesn't do that, if I read you right. And once they show up, it isn't long before things seize up.
  • prookprook Posts: 1
    I have a tacoma 96' v6 4x4. My light came on also and the truck ran fine. I also have a friend that works at Firestone as a mechanic. He checked it and said it was probably the O2 sensor and reset my computer on the truck. I have not fixed it yet but my engine light came back on after a short time. Hope that helped. Sorry it wasn't more information for you. Let me know what you did. Phil
  • Fuel filter location and removal hints:
    Look in the back passenger side wheel well.
    It's often just behind the frame in a small bracket.
    Pull it up out of the bracket and toward the wheel well to the full length of the tubing to get a working space.
    Once you loosen the screw clamps rotate the tubes a little on the nibble with a pair of pliers because the tend to stick.
    The tube should pop out, without using the pliers.
  • Truck: 85 Toyota Pickup 4cylinder 2WD manual. Runs great, and still has original A/C.

Problem:
    Tinking noise near front of engine at mid RPMS. Quiet at stop and crusing speeds.

Replaced Fan clutch. Felt a little loose and was crossing fingers. Didn't fix noise. Fan works great.

Hypothesis: Crossing fingers, might be water pump or it's pulley. If not it's probably the timing chain. 230,000 miles, don't know if it has ever been changed.

Question:
    On 84 Nissan Pickup the timing chain can be replaced without removing head. Haynes Toyota manual procedure says that head comes off first. Why? From the one picture in the manual it doesn't look like there are pins between the head and the timing chain cover plate.

Entertaining Background:
    Pulling head adds significant complexity (i.e. fear). I did the timing on the Nissan by myself from the Haynes manual in the yard having never opened the engine block before. (i.e. I've done oil, plugs, distributor, ...) Turning key on my only vehicle after my first look into it's inards was a fearfull thing. I knew enough about the engine to realize that if I screwed something up on this one there would be a great grinding of metal and alot of walking in my future.
  • I have a 1999 Tacoma, 2.7L 5 speed 4x4 that has developed a loud squeal from the right rear upon deceleration. It does not happen all the time. This is was has me perplexed. I have removed my aluminum toolbox and bedliner, but the noise is still there. I have used almost three bottles of WD-40 under the truck. Any other suggestions?????
  • I have a 2003 Tundra with the 6cd stereo. Does anyone know if there is a Aux output on the back of the radio so I can hook the Sirius radio directly into it?
  • I have an 03 Prerunner auto. 4x2 with 30k that had the same problem. When I came to a stop and put on the brake it would clunk. When I let off the brake it would clunk. It ended up being the slip yoke at the rear of the drive shaft. I have it serviced at the dealer and they never greased it. They changed the drive shaft and it is like a new truck. I do have a shifting problem when it is cold it won't shift from 2nd.to 3rd. at 24mph like it should until it hits 36mph. After the first series it shifts perfect. Anyone have a similar problem? BILL
  • Hi Fellows,all of a sudden my Idoit lites do not lite up!

I checked my fuse"s all are OK,where do I go from here?????

Thanks COS 289 :
  • I'm getting ready (I think) to buy a 2006 Tacoma (access cab 4WD manual 4 cyl) with the standard (not SR5) package. The "bumpers", especially the front, are not bumpers at all. Has anyone found a source for good solid bumpers for these, or have some other solution? I'm used to a 94 T-100 with real bumpers. Any thoughts much appreciated.
  • From the sound of it, it's definitely a timing chain (sounds kind of like a garbage disposal running dry if you rev the engine and let it go back to idle). I've done this on about three 80s era Toyota trucks, now, and it's not too bad. You don't have to remove the head, but make sure your mating surfaces are clean (acetone or laquer thinner on a rag to clean), old gasket is gone, and use an extra dab of silicone in the corners on the cover (and don't forget that little bolt at the top of the cover that's under a small puddle of oil at the front of the head!).

While you're in there, replace the oil pump and water pump. It doesn't add much to the cost, and you won't have to worry about doing them in the near future (because you will if you don't replace them!). You'll have to replace the chain and guides (simplex chain on plastic guides, hence their wearing out!). You can buy a kit, with new cover, on eBay pretty cheaply. Make sure you fix this soon, because the chain will rub through the aluminum cover/housing, and there's water on the other side which will mix with oil if there's a breach.

Oh, and the trick to removing the oil pan easily is to undo the motor mounts and jack up the engine as much as possible. This way you don't have to try to remove the steering arms (I never could get those blasted things apart!). Give me a shout if you have any more questions (click on my e-mail link at www.drjing.com).
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    As mentioned in the Rules of the Road - link to the left - we discourage posts asking members to email them. It benefits everyone when information is shared here in the forums where all can see the questions and answers.

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Thanks for the reminder, but since I gave what I think is a fairly thorough overview, do you really want this list clogged with questions like: There's a hose in the way of the distributor, and I'm wondering if I can remove it? I am going to lift the engine, is it just two bolts on the motor mounts? Should I drain the engine oil before removing the pan? Etc., etc.

If you want that here, then I'm fine with that. Just trying to be courteous toward other members and this board, since the format is one long list of posts, as opposed to compartmentalized postings.
  • Get a flowmaster.
  • You're correct. The door rubber is a one piece part.
  • nairbnairb Posts: 10
    I have a 1998 tacoma and was wondering if anybody
    has had the problem of the fuel injectors going bad or
    getting plugged every 10,000 miles or so. I have already
    replaced one after getting a "check engine light" epi-
    sode(misfire on cylinder 2), and it ran alot better
    for awhile, but its starting to run a little poorly
    again. Was just wondering if anyone else has run in to
    this problem.

thanks to anybody who can get me in the right
    direction
  • ted77ted77 Posts: 3
    I had to take my truck to the shop due to the hydraulic clutch booster breaking free from the firewall. They had to weld in some sheet metal to reattach it. The guy at the shop does not think it is U-Joints but an issue with the tranny or transfer case. The sound is still constant, the shifting is fine so I wonder if the tranny is really the problem. I just spent a small fortune getting the clutch fixed, has anyone had any experience with a bad tranny making a rumbling noise that changes in pitch and is constant whether going 20mph or 70mph. Could it be bad bearing within the tranny? If anyone has any thoughts on this, please share. Thanks. :confuse:
  • Hello, I have an 05 Tundra DC SR5 that I bought in July with 7700 miles on it. The truck run so much quieter and smoother than my 05 reg cab that I was well pleased. That changed at 11,900 miles. When you are accelerating from around 49 on up the truck now shudders/stumbles/vibrates and it feels like the power is not there anymore. Only thing about it only gets real bad after driving 50 or more miles. Dealer has made me feel stupid, they can not duplicate problem or when they do feel it they say its normal. Every day I drive 95 miles round trip and it gets so bad that I no longer enjoy driving the truck. This afternoon the salesperson and service manager rode with me for about 15 miles and it did it just enough to be noticeable but not terrible, told me that was normal. After I left and started out of town in got much worse after about 55 miles. When you start up a slight incline or hill does it badly. I have to turn of the OD or floor it to get up it. It also has developed a rear end whine when letting off gas or doing down a hill or incline. I tried different gas and no difference. Was going to have tranny serviced and see if that helped but of course the dealer has no tranny fluid for the 05! What makes it worse is I put the truck up for sell after losing 1/4 of my income last month and then this had to happen. Would like the new buyer to be happy with it. BTW, I cant give the thing away, I thought Toyota had a good resale value but I had mine priced WAY under what a new one cost and no luck even with the 6/100 warranty. Best offer I had was 19k for it with only 14k miles. Any help greatly appreciated, there is not another dealer within 80 miles of me.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Actually, we hope we can get detailed info like that here. Makes the forum that much more useful, even for those just lurking about :)

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.