Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Truck Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• I have a 1993 T100 2wd pickup and continue to have the same tire wear problem. Even after several attempts at alignment by two different garages. I think this time I will try the dealership. Hopefully they have an answer.
  • pjedpjed Posts: 3
    All right, I gave up and bought new seats. I picked up some Corbeau GTSII seats. http://www.corbeau.com/brochure/gts2.shtml

I have not received them yet but I think this will solve my problem. I know, this is kind of an expensive fix,$299 per seat + $80 for each bracket, but I think it will work, I hope so anyway. If not I should at least have some comfortable seats, unlike the stock ones.
  • please let us know how they fit you. What are your dimensions(ht./wt)?
    I'm 6'2", 200 lbs. and I find the buckets in my '02 Tacoma ext.cab 4X4 OK for under a 2 hour drive, but then they get pretty uncomfortable after that.
  • Need help / advise: I live in Hawaii, got a brand new Tacoma Prerunner, V6, 29 miles, love the truck. Temperature gauge is at about 2/3 of way toward H, in 80 degree weather. Is that normal? Coolant level OK, rises when hot, when cool contracts back to correct level (middle of bottle). I think it has 195f thermostat. Oil ok, belts ok. I turned on heater full blast to ensure no air, etc.
    How much heat does a new engine generate? break in period? Would this be the cause? Should I put in a 180F thermostat? What is the range of the temperature gauge corresponding to temperature in degrees? (ie middle is 180, 3/4 is 220, H is 240?)
    I am concerned. thanks
  • I have an 02 Tacoma,it has less than 3k on it and has developed a variety of noises coming from the dash area,loud vibrating buzzing,thumping sounds and squeaks. The dealer-ship kept it 2 days to try to correct the problem.They told told me that they 'tightened-up some clips' and installed some type of insulation.As I drove home all these noises were just as bad,if not worse than before.I returned the truck to the dealer.They said they will try again but really don't know where to start.They will call when they feel they have it corrected. Any-one else had this problem? Solved?if so what was done to correct it?
  • BARBOUR1, I also have a 2002 V6 Prerunner and am having the same problem with the dash. My rattling seems to be coming from the air bag compartment. I also took it in and the said the it was loose wires on the ECU and that they filled it with foam, but it continued as soon as I pulled out of the dealership. I am taking it back in one week. I read above from the one guy that had all those problems that he also had a noisy dash and that it was a problem with the air bag. I also have a pinging noisy coming from my engine block. Does any one know what this might be? Let me know that happens at the dealership.

Yosmany
  • I also have a taco that developed dashboard area noises. [and my ideas]

Noise 1: Appeared to be related to hood vibration; at a stoplite i could see the edge of the hood nearest the middle of the windshield vibrating. The vibration stopped when I accelerated, the rattle stopped too. I have experimented with a pice of inner-tube thickness rubber, super gluing it on the center hood stop [rubber wedge near wind shield] and that vibration has ceased so far.(couldn't find any hood adjustments that would help.)

Noise 2: Still comes from the passenger airbag area. If I press my hand on the airbag cover, the noise stops. I guess if I take out the glove box, there may be a way to tighten something. In the meantime I am going to try to work a very thin piece of foam between the airbag cover and the dashboard (closest to the windshield to see how long the fix might last. IF it does then I'll point it out to the dealer.

Hope these ideas help....
  • I have had many airbag/dashboard rattles and I think it finally got fixed. I went through the same ordeal of taking it to the dealership, having them put foam in various places -- usually behind the dash cover, and nothing really being fixed. Today, I just picked up my truck and I think they finally got it. They did something to the computer mounting brackets (apparently, it sits near the airbag and can sound like the airbag is the problem, but it's not). They did the same foam treatment, except they did it around the computer. So far, it's working (but I only got it back today). I'll let you know if it starts rattling again.

Riddler

• Bad news: the rattle is back.

Good news: it's not quite as bad. It's tolerable so far - I doubt I'd notice it if this was the way it originally was, but since I've been having rattling troubles, I'm sure I'm subconsciously listening more than the average guy. I'm going to give it a little time to see what happens. I haven't tried the foam strip near the windshield, maybe I'll try it next. I did see some foam at Lowe's - it was 1/2 inch round foam designed for caulking windows/doors. Is that what worked for others?

Thanks,

Riddler

• I HAVE A 2002 TUNDRA WITH 17000 MILES. RECENTLY DEVELOPED A RATTLE ON DASH AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. SEEMS LIKE PILLAR AREA. SOUNDS LIKE KNOCKING AND NOISE. TAKING TO DEALER THIS WEEK. ALSO NOTICE HOOD VIBRATING ON HIGHWAY. LOOKS FLIMSY. HAS ANYONE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS.
  • Guys... I took the 2002 Tacoma in today. The same tech that drove it the first time and foamed the ECU drove it again. He agreed with me that the noise is still there, but this time he went ahead and ordered a new dash. The said that Toyota had a bulliten up stating that it was a common problem, and to order new dashes. So he didn't question me, just ordered it and it will be here in a week. I'll let you know what happens.

By the way... has anyone had a problems with noisy/squeaky/rattling leaf springs.

Yosmany
    2002 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
  • I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with squeaky/noisy leafsprings. The dealership tells me that the noise is normal, and the leafsprings are just dirty. Has anyone else been told something like this? Also, there is a wobbling sound coming from the bed of the truck/rear axle. Has anyone else experienced this problem as well?
  • sflipsflip Posts: 2
    Anyone else out there having bad experiences with their Tundra? I have a 2000 SR5, and it's been a constant headache. I've been in the shop more times in two years than I was in 10 years with my 1986 Ford F150. The car is only 30 months old. At 37000 miles my battery shorted out and I had to get towed. At 37500 miles I'm told I have a crack in my exhaust manifold and it will cost me $900 to fix it. Toyota customer service says too bad, it's out of warranty. This POC is falling apart just weeks after it's out of warranty!!!

Bad brakes, bad paint, door rattles, a dip stick that's the wrong size so for the first year I had one quart too much in the engine (why we don't get a class action suit against Toyota for the yet TBD damage this foul up is going to cause, I don't know), door panels that fade and wear, seat belts that won't retract...it just seems to go on and on. This has been the worst truck I've ever owned. I paid extra for a Toyota because of the quality reputation, but that's evidently a bunch of bunk. How much does Consumer Reports magazine get paid off to publish their lies, claiming that the Tundra is better quality?

The really bad part is, I don't think Ford, Chevy or Dodge are really any better. Everything being made is junk, and the manufacturers don't feel like they need to stand behind their promises. Toyota is living off their reputation, but it won't be long until people wise up. Is it because they're being assembled in the USA now that they're turning into junk?

Signed: Never gonna buy a Toyota again
  • sflipsflip Posts: 2
    Anyone else out there having bad experiences with their Tundra? I have a 2000 SR5, and it's been a constant headache. I've been in the shop more times in two years than I was in 10 years with my 1986 Ford F150. The car is only 30 months old. At 37000 miles my battery shorted out and I had to get towed. At 37500 miles I'm told I have a crack in my exhaust manifold and it will cost me $900 to fix it. Toyota customer service says too bad, it's out of warranty. This POC is falling apart just weeks after it's out of warranty!!!

Bad brakes, bad paint, door rattles, a dip stick that's the wrong size so for the first year I had one quart too much in the engine (why we don't get a class action suit against Toyota for the yet TBD damage this foul up is going to cause, I don't know), door panels that fade and wear, seat belts that won't retract...it just seems to go on and on. This has been the worst truck I've ever owned. I paid extra for a Toyota because of the quality reputation, but that's evidently a bunch of bunk. How much does Consumer Reports magazine get paid off to publish their lies, claiming that the Tundra is better quality?

The really bad part is, I don't think Ford, Chevy or Dodge are really any better. Everything being made is junk, and the manufacturers don't feel like they need to stand behind their promises. Toyota is living off their reputation, but it won't be long until people wise up. Is it because they're being assembled in the USA now that they're turning into junk?

Signed: Never gonna buy a Toyota again
  • gasman1gasman1 Posts: 321
    Sorry that you had a bad experience. Wonder why the only six posts that you've ever made to this forum happen to all be the same message. Advise that you look at the upcoming full-size Honda or Nissan pickups that are to come out in mid- to late-2003. You could also look at Dodge since they seem to be getting their act together.

I've gone the Ford and GM route and know those rocky paths all to well. Is any truck perfect? NO!!! However, I've had excellent performance from my Tundra. Many others have also or Toyota would not have the reputation that they have EARNED.

I would also suggest that you try to work WITH the service manager and/or the Zone rep. I did this in 1991 concerning a Grand Caravan and they bent over backwards to assist me. It helped a great deal to be very civil with them and to document everything. Any company is more willing to assist the CONCERNED customer who wants to stay with them as opposed to the SCREAMER who is cursing them and leaving no matter what they do. Facts win in business and emotion has no place in business. Treat them in a business way and they will be fair.

Good luck in your future purchases!
  • Any truck purchased is a risk. That is why they have warranties. We all take the same risk everytime we plunk down our bucks on a sale. I owned a Ford Explorer that crapped out every other month while on warranty. The damned transmission was CLUNKING in all-wheel drive when the warranty ran out. I got rid of it and bought a Solara. Don't know why I ever drifted away from Toyota since I owned them since '86. Ain't sayin' Fords are bad....but you can't get me to BUY another one!

Did you buy your 2000 Tundra new? If you didn't, did you run a Carfax on the VIN? Maybe this thing was wrecked?

• Hey guys you answered a question for me correctly awhile back so I was hopeing you could help again.My 2000 Tundra with 60,000 miles on it has started giveing me a big clunk while shifting from 3rd to 4th (automatic transmission)It does'nt seem to do it with the overdrive off.Someone mentioned that their is an adjustment to the bands that can be done at about this mileage.Can you guys give me any help?Thanks again for your time and help!!harry754
  • has any body had a vibration in the drive train at 30 to 40 mph. what was the problem?
  • bulychbulych Posts: 10
    does any one have any info. on the mileage they are getting on a tundra v6 extend cab 4x4.i am getting about 16 miles per gal.according to the literature i should be getting o ver 20 .
  • With the O/D off in 'D' at about 65MPH, if I stick my foot in it, my truck accelerates great till 70, then just hovers there for about 3 seconds and then starts to climb again. Anybody else had that problem? It's an '02 DC V6 w/25K. The tachs way below redline and the posted speed limit is 70, thank you :) If I do the same test with the O/D on (usual driving position), my truck downshifts and accelerates without a hitch. Any thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.