Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Non-Collectible" Old Cars

Comments

• moparmadmoparmad Posts: 197
    on the Brady cars was from an article in Mopar Collector's Guide magazine's May 2000 issue,other than what they said I really have no idea what the Brady's drove.

Isellhondas...My response to you was in response to what I perceived was your attitude that the cars that those fellows were so proud of were nothing but junk,and not worthy of their attention. I surmised from your handle that you were a Honda man,and responded with my true feelings of Honda's. I did not expect you to care what I thought which I was hoping would show you the perspective of others who devote their efforts to the vehicles that you see as sub par. I apologize if I misinterpreted your initial response. I firmly believe to each his own.

On the insurance side of this,if you total your old car you may get little or nothing for the car,if you total a new car you may get enough to pay it off,but more likely your lender will get everything your insurance company pays,and you will get a bill for the rest. Generally,unless you put a very large downpayment on a new car you had better not wreck it for a couple of years because the finance charges will put you upside down on it's value to payoff.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,638
    Sitting in our garage is a 1982 Dodge Rampage. For those who may not know, these are very small pickups that Dodge built and sold for just three years. They kinda look like a small El Camino.

This belonged to my best friends 85 year old parents. They bought it new and decided to go to only one car. I happened to be there the day the old man drove it home.

It has only 29,000 original miles and is a So. California rust and dent free truck. It runs like a new car and the factory A/C will freeze you out.

2.2 liter 4 cyl four speed stick.

I just replaced the original tires and tuned it up.

Now...the original silver paint is as dull as the sidewalk in front of our house. It is in dire need of a paint job, especially the hood.

I was given a quote by a quality body shop...are you ready? 3800.00 !!!!

This includes stripping everything off the truck and doing a first class job.

So, I had MAACO give me a quote...500.00 for their "upscale" job.

Here is a truck that I currently have 2000.00 invested in. It isn't worth much more than that.

The 3800.00 job is out of the question but I would sure hate to see MAACO butcher the car.

I've seen MAACO jobs that were so-so and I've also seen them to horrible jobs.

I think I've made up my mind...I'm not that attached to the thing and I'll probably sell it to someone who will have to make the decision.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,907
    ...I switched insurance companies about 2 years ago, to a company called Erie Insurance Group. I don't know how national they are, but I was shocked, too, when they started quoting these low rates. Before them, I was with Allstate, and the Intrepid was about $900 a year. I forget what Grandma's LeSabre and the Gran Fury were though...I'd guess a bit over $300 a year each. The only one that was cheaper with Allstate was the Dart, which ran about $150 a year because they put it on some kind of special low-use policy.

For more useless Brady Bunch trivia, well, now that I think about it, I could be wrong about the car used in the pilot episode. I know it was a '67-68 generation full-size Dodge, and could've sworn it had side marker lights indicative of a '68. I do know that once upon a time, power windows were "hot" wired like a cigarette lighter, always having power, so you could roll them up and down even with the key out of the ignition. I'm not sure when they changed that, though. I know by '69 you had to put the key in the ignition. At least in my '69 Bonneville.

Supposedly, Tiger the dog was very intelligent, but I doubt they could've trained him to put down a power window...for one thing, I'd think the switch would be hard for a dog to push! Watching that episode, it looks like somebody just held Tiger's paw up to the switch, and then they cut to another scene of the window dropping, and Tiger jumping out. I saw this episode a week or 2 ago, so it's still fresh in my memory ;-) Sadly, Tiger got run over by a flower truck at the studio, abruptly ending his acting career, not to mention life :-( The producers got another dog from the pound that looked just like Tiger, but that dog couldn't act, was untrainable, and pee'd on the furniture. So that's why Tiger was quietly omitted from the story line.

Speaking of too much time on our hands, have you ever noticed how every once in awhile, they'd show Mr. Brady coming home in one of the Fury's, but then on the set, he'd pull up in front of the garage in one of the Barracudas or, worse, the '72 Impala? I guess they only filmed a few exterior shots of the cars pulling up to that house, and had to keep re-using them as stock footage. I've also seen a few episodes where Mrs. Brady's wagon, a '68 or '69 Satellite wagon, I believe, was parked out front, but then in the same episode they'd show the newer one, a '71 (I think) The one they took to the Grand Canyon. Gawd, I DO have too much time on my hands. Too bad "Leave it to Beaver" isn't on, so I could watch the '59 DeSoto drive by ;-)
    I'm kind of in the same situation with my '89 Gran Fury. Its silver paint is very faded, and is just starting to show signs of rust. It was repainted just before I bought it, but wasn't the greatest job in the world. And, well, you know how silver tends to hold up, right from the factory. Well, it's worse when it's a re-paint!

I had to have some body work done on my Intrepid about a year ago, when someone broke into the passenger-side door, prying the handle and denting the sheet metal. I only had to pay the $250 deductible, but I think the whole job was about $400-450. They straightened out the door panel, replaced the D-O-D-G-E lettering on the door, instead of masking it off and painting around the letters, replaced the handle, and repainted the door. I'd hate to think how much they would've charged to repaint a whole car, but will admit that the door actually looks better than the rest of the car now, if you look at it at the right angle!

I'll probably just end up sanding the rust spots on the Gran Fury and touching them up. I'd love to get the thing repainted, but at the same time can think of better things to do with my money. BTW, my great-uncle had two cars repainted by Maaco back in the early 80's...a white '74 Impala and a blue '72 Malibu. In both cases, they were just starting to rust. After the re-paint, they looked good for about a year, but then started to rust with a vengeance.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,151
    You HAVE to remove the trim, lights, etc. A mask job just isn't going to cut it. If I were to get my 1989 Cadillac Brougham repainted, I wouldn't even blink at that $3,800 figure an earlier poster was quoted for the Dodge Rampage truck. In fact, I'd want an even BETTER finish than the one GM gave it. I saw an article some years ago in Motor Trend about the company that makes Cadillac hearses. Even they don't accept the GM finish and sand the car down to the metal and repaint it to their standards. Their hearses aparently are very exquisitiely made vehicles.

Andre, remember the episode where Greg bought a 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air convertible for only $100? I bet Greg could kick himself in the butt today for giving it up for what one would be worth today! A 1955-1957 Chevrolet is also an excellent car on which to attemp a restoration since they are fairly uncomplication and lots of aftermarket parts are available.
    ...my '69 Dart, and then my '68 Dart. The guy that used to live behind my grandmother restored old cars, and he helped me paint 'em. Only cost me the materials, which were about $120-150. It was a lot of work, though. On the '69, I removed as much of the trim as I could, taillights, etc. That one came out beautiful. The '68 though, had too much body work on it, so more of the flaws ended up showing up. I went further with that one though, taking off the bumpers as well. It also didn't come out quite as well, because our neighbor let me do most of the painting!

One lesson I learned, from painting the first Dart, is to cover as much of your body as possible! I was wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt, and the mist from the creme-colored paint got all over me, coating the hair on my legs and arms. I looked blonde for awhile, until I could finally scrub it all off.

One thing I always thought was funny when Greg bought that '56 Bel Air, I remember him saying he could fix it up and get $1000 (or some ridiculously low figure by today's standards) easily for it! It's amazing how cheap some cars used to be. My Dad bought a '62 Corvette for something like $1000 back in the real early 70's. He hit a taxi with it, shattering the fiberglass on the pass. side fender and door. Sold it around 1973 for something like $400.00.

This may be kinda morbid, but I always thought it would be cool to own an old hearse or ambulance. A 1961-62 Cadillac or 1961 Pontiac would be my favorite. I guess it would be in poor taste though, if that was my only car, to have to drive it in a funeral procession! Or using it to deliver pizzas. Heck, people used to freak when they'd see me pull up in the Gran Fury, thinking it was the cops. Wonder how they'd react to a hearse!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,576
    Mostly they'd worry about the "topping" I think.

• ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    I can't remember re the Brady Bunch. They did seem to have one overhead shot of the 69 Fury coming home, regardless of the year of the show or what they were driving. Same for the wagon, they'd show the 68 Coronet or whatever, then the closeup would be the 71 Satellite. Exactly right about the other Brady Bunch trivia, we're of like sick, bored minds.

I think cars were hotwired with power windows til they got steering wheel locks (most in 69). My uncles 68 Sedan de Ville had windows you could use when the car was off (I ran down his battery frequently as a kid) but my 71 Electra 225 did not.

My insurance is something I try not to think about. Chicago is 'spensive for insurance and I *might* be able to save a couple nickels by shopping around, but my current (ghetto Eagle Insurance) company is REALLY close to home, so if I forget to mail payments, I can drive over there, pay and be instantly reinstated.
    Plus they have these really awful commercials that I love, so I want them to stay in business.
  • speedshiftspeedshift Posts: 1,598
    I'd be a little concerned about "sub-standard" carriers. Back when I graduated and moved from the suburbs to a bad part of the big city, my insurance with Allstate went up to something like $1000/year.

This was 1976 and I was making $7200 a year, so I could either find cheaper insurance or skip meals. I went with a succession of companies I'd never heard of, companies willing to insure single males in their twenties with moving violations. I always had three tickets, never more, never less.

I'm not so sure now that those companies would have been there if I needed them. Not like USAA was for me recently, anyway--what a great company.

But I know not everyone has that choice. One of the perks of middle age is that insurance companies think you're golden.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    What about any Japanese cars from the '70s (and I mean anything)? Wouldn't you like to have one of the first Honda Civics or the hard-to-find Toyota Carinas or Mark IIs from the early '70s? I sure would want to find a good-looking '78 Toyota Celica GT Liftback just like the one my father owned.
    Mr. Shiftright, whatever happened to the old Toyota, Datsun, and Mazda pickup trucks from the mid- to late-'70s? Didn't they rust much faster than the regular cars themselves?
    I think that being mostly used for commercial purposes, they just got used up and junked.

This happens to American trucks, too. The survival rate among commercial vehicles in the collectible car market is much lower than for passenger cars.

It would be normal for the trucks to perish before the cars did.

• jrosasmc-

Funny you should mention it...my brother recently bought an all-original 1977 Toyota Celica ST. We are working on restoring it for his daily-driver use. It's not going to be a mint show car, but it should look pretty nice when finished, and we plan on keeping it original (it seems like the only old Celicas that remain have been lowered and painted funny colors). His is the rare hardtop model, rather than the more common liftback.

It did have some old accident damage; apparently a previous owner hit something and replaced a fender, but left the damaged unibody underneath. We have disassembled the front of the car, restored both front fenders and all other front-end trim, and got a replacement hood from a junkyard to replace the hopelessly crunched one. He had a body shop straighten the unibody, so when I go home from college in a few days we will be installing a new radiator and hoses to replace the leaking unit, and will then reinstall the fenders, hood, etc. We have sanded the fenders and hood down to the metal, filled some small rust holes, and sprayed the parts with rust convertor before priming, so hopefully they will not rust again. The car needs some additional body work on the doors and rear quarters, a transmission service, new brakes, and a paint job (original brown-orange color), and at that point it should be road ready. So yes, 1970s Japanese cars are definitely cool.

-Andrew L
  • I saw one today (mint condition)-wonder if collectors will ever take an interest in this car. It had a distinctive look-was it a good car mechanically? What do Reattas go for these days?
    There's not much interest, but there is some. The range seems to be from around $4,000 for a decent driver to $7,500 for a restored car.

• I know that the early/mid 1970s Cadillac Eldorado and the Lincoln Mark IV/V have loyal followings, but what about the Chrysler Cordoba? Do you think that car will ever be a desirable collectible?
    Not until the sun burns out and the universe collapses. After that, maybe.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,800
    I'm fond of the older stuff... love that Parisienne wagon! I'd like to get a nice Olds Custom Cruiser of that vintage for use as a hauler. Same basic chassis as my recently-sold '78 Olds Delta 88 and current '79 Buick Park Avenue. Great chassis. Watch out for rust in the door window frame weatherstrip channels, above the wagon rear window and in the cowl around the fresh air intake for the A/C (also a common source of water leaks).

I had the Olds for 4 1/2 years, put a little money into it to keep it presentable, and sold it for what I paid for it. Hard to beat. It never let me down, never failed to start, and was a great car. The Buick is a creampuff, only 48,000 miles. Has the 403 Olds V-8 and is loaded. Might have that one a loooooong time.

A buddy of mine just picked up a '71 Chrysler New Yorker 4-door hardtop for a little over $1k. It has about 70K miles, and has a perfect green interior in a nice grass-green shade. :) The body is pretty good, only a few trouble spots, and the thing runs like an express train. I love it!

In the local paper right now is a '64 Dodge Polara 4-door sedan from the praries, showing 44,000 miles. Asking price: $500. I happened to see this car this week in a parking lot and it looks great, considering the age. Didn't see any evidence of rust at all. I like big Mopars from the late 60s, and this one is a little bit early for me, but it still is a steal. My favorites are the fuselage Mopars of '69-'73, particularly the '70 and '71 models.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

believe it or not, the Cordoba does have a bit of a following. Not enough to push it into prime collector status or anything, and you'd probably have to hang around the Mopar-only chatrooms before you found much nice to be said about 'em! The car I really liked from that generation was the '78-79 Magnum XE!

About a month ago, I was in the local junkyard looking for some 15x7 rims for a '79 New Yorker I'd recently bought (another generally unloved Mopar...the R-body) They had an '81 or so Cordoba that had just come in, and hadn't been dismantled yet. It looked to be in pretty good shape, no rust, and the interior still looked good. I sat behind the wheel, and was almost tempted to ask how much they'd take for the whole car! But then I learned my lesson about buying a car from the junkyard a few years ago, when I bought a '79 Newport from them for $250. Truthfully for the price, it wasn't a bad car, but well, let's just say it ended up costing me a lot more than that by the time I was done with it!
  • A gym teacher at the high school I graduated from last year drives a seafoam green 1975-79 Chrysler Cordoba. It's not pristine, but looks decent for its age. So at least one of those is still on the road.

If anyone's interested in seeing some pics and info about my brother's 1977 Celica that we're working on right now, I just added a page about the Celica to my Pontiac Parisienne site. The main site is (www.geocities.com/DriveAParisienne). The Celica page can be found at (www.geocities.com/DriveAParisienne/celica.html). I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with old Toyotas, or anyone else who has anything to say about the car. Of course, if anyone hasn't already seen the info about my 1986 Parisienne on the main page, take a look at that, too :-)

-Andrew L
  • I got this book on 70's cars and I just can't see why you would like 70s' japanese cars, those interiors are so hideous and the cars overall my gosh, what specific things do you like about these cars? I can't figure it out. Not meant to be a flame, I'm just curious.
    ...is that they kept their hardtop body styles around longer than the domestics did. In fact, as recently as '83, I think you could get a Mazda 626, Datsun 200SX, Toyota Corolla, or Plymouth Sapporo/Dodge Challenger (Mistubishi) hardtop coupe with genuine roll-down rear windows.

Did the Japanese ever make a hardtop sedan? I'd be inclined to guess no, because it would be kind of hard to make a 4-door hardtop on a short wheelbase. The smallest American 4-door hardtop I can think of was the later-60's Corvair, but its 108" wheelbase would've been massive by Japanese standards back then!
    The late 60s Corvair hardtop is about the prettiest 4-door hardtop you will ever see.

I don't think the Japanese ever made a 4-door hardtop for export. I'm sure that at home they tried one of everything.

70s Japanese styling has been referred to on these boards as "Atomic Cockroach", which is pretty good.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,800
    I first saw that reference in print in either C&D or R&T (more likely the former) in the mid-70s. Some writer coined it to describe the Datsun B-210 (remember that?). I remember my brother bringing one home for a test drive the first month they were out -- a butterscotch color fastback. No sale. They sold a lot of them here, and most succumbed to terminal rust within 5 years.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

I kind of think the styling weirdness may have been an asset. It announced that Japanese cars weren't the usual half-hearted Detroit or unreliable European efforts. Japanese cars were obviously different and that can be good when a big part of the market is turning away from the status quo.

Maybe kind of like Rambler in the early '60s when at one point they managed to get to number 3 with some very funky styling--they were the sensible alternative to the big flashy Detroit iron.

I'm not sure the Atomic Cockroach school of styling is completely gone. It's been years since the Sentra was a clean if boxy design (kind of like the 510) and the current Maxima looks pretty dorky from certain angles IMHO. The new Altima looks better than the one it replaced but that's not saying much--great taillights but everything else about the car is still (deliberately?) goofy and uninspired.
    ...I wonder if somehow, America is responsible for that? I have a car book that said the '61 Plymouth was so hideous that it served as the inspiration for a whole generation of bad Japanese sci-fi movies!
    I had a '61 Dodge Polara two door hardtop and I kinda liked it. A real spaceship. 383-4v, Torqueflite, even found the correct dual point distributor for the D-500 engine. Plastic seatcovers over almost mint red vinyl and cloth (with gold thread) upholstery, just a little sun damage. You don't find upholstery like that in a Bimmer ;-). When I was moving a couple of cars from a storage yard I let a friend drive it and it was rather handsome in motion.

But yes the '61 Plymouth was a real piece of work. I occasionally drive past a green four door sedan that I imagine small planes use as a navigation landmark.
    ...weren't too bad that year, although the reverse-slant tailfins were kinda weird. And those taillights on 'em kind of make me think of a new Maxima, or Neon. I liked the big '60 Dodge Matador/Polara, with its tailfins that ended short of the back of the car. The Darts that year had kind of a funky aluminum grille that stuck out, and tailfins that went all the way to the back of the car. I still wonder sometimes, if Chrysler made its Plymouths extra-ugly on purpose in '60-61 to force people to buy a nicer looking Dodge!
    Yes I remember the '60 now. Also I'm looking at it in The American Car Spotters Guide 1940-1965. I think the Polara's longer wheelbase really helped.

Just as a sidenote, I think early '60s Mopars are the only cars I'd have look up to remember. Every other line-up I could describe in minute detail. That says a lot for where Chrysler was in the early '60s. It was about that time that Rambler beat them for the number 3 slot.

By the way I think it's great that someone would spend that much time (and a few bucks) on an old Celica. The torch has passed.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    These were among the first 'car books' I was given as a teenager (mid-80s). They're by no means 'exhaustive' guides, but they furthered my self-education about old cars by leaps and bounds. They've taught me a great deal of the nonsense I've shared with all of you.....make the call on that, I guess. Great books (especially the 66-80 edition, just cuz it was more my age). I asked for Christmas and receied many more 'car books' after that.....good times.

Speedshift, I agree with you re 60s Mopars; for whatever reason(s), I have great memory regarding GM and Ford products of the 60s, but not Mopars.....I dunno why.
    What was the first year that Rambler hit the #3 spot, anyway? I'm pretty sure Plymouth was still #3 in 1959, but barely, as Rambler was catching up fast on the strength of its compacts, not to mention a resurgent Chevrolt and Ford.

Maybe it was 1960? Dodge made a big comeback that year, mainly at Plymouth's expense, and that might've been enough to let Rambler slip on past. I have a book that list sales figures, but never bothered to add it up, but I have a feeling that the full-size Dart lineup actually outsold the full-size Plymouth lineup that year. The only reason Plymouth still beat Dodge was probably because of the Valiant.

I think Pontiac took #3 around 1962-63, as Rambler started a long decline and never really came back.

My mom had a '59 Rambler wagon when she was a teen. Her first car was a gray '57 Plymouth (leave it to my mother to get a '50's car in a bland color!), but she didnt' like it because it seemed too big for her. So she sold it and got the Rambler, a gaudy pink-and-black 2-tone job. I remember her telling me that one of the rear wheels fell off of it, and I think that was the point she decided to get a new car...a '66 Catalina convertible. Only thing I can't figure, is that if the Plymouth felt too big for her, how did she handle the Catalina? I'm sure the Catalina handled a lot better, though, which probably offset that additional length.

Another thing I just thought of that's interesting... her car losing a rear wheel, but doing no real damage. I have a feeling that if a wheel fell off of a modern car while you were driving, the resulting impact with the road surface would do some pretty serious damage. Now I don't know what exactly separated in her car to make that wheel fall off...maybe it was just the lug nuts, or maybe the whole axle separated or something? Whatever it was though, I think the expense ended up being fairly minor.
This discussion has been closed.