Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

Comments

• I am looking to purchase a certified used Acura at the end of the year. Which model should I get for a family of three.
  • I think we need more info in order to help you.

Family of three... how old is the child? In what part of the country do you live? How many miles are you going to drive per year?

Most importantly... what kind of driving experience do you enjoy? There are several models that members could recommend, but if you like sporty, they're going to say TSX. Sedan, solid, practical - the TL! If you need or like an SUV experience, MDX is a suggestion.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Deciding between these two:

Current offers:
    2012 SE: $22500+TTL
    2011 EX-L (I4): $25500 - $500 (loyal customer bonus) + TTL

I am in the Cleveland area and plan to use this vehicle for 5+ years. The 2012s are rolling into the lots and I don't find many 2011s left. For 2011 models, I can take advantage of the $500 loyal customer bonus but I guess the dealer knows that and may use that to raise the price a bit too. Anyway, appreciate any suggestions.
  • jayinfo.. I'm going to guess that you are shopping for a Honda Accord?

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Sorry, guys. Yes, I am shopping for an Accord. Thx for pointing that out, kyfdx.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,622
    First decide if you really need the extra features of the EX-L and if they are worth $2500 to you.

If so, get the EX-L.

If not, get the SE.

And enjoy!

P.S. I assume you have already shopped around and this is the best price you can get on the 2011 SE and 2012 EX-L. Given this is a holiday weekend, you might find a dealer willing to beat the price on the EX-L at least (will be in greater supply than the 2011 SE). If you haven't checked other dealers yet, I recommend you do that. Call or email the Internet sales managers at other area dealerships, tell them you are going to buy a car TODAY and ask them what can they do for you. Also I think there's 0.9% 5-year financing on all 2012 Hondas this weekend (at least in my area there is).
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,893
    did you get a price on a 2012 EX-L? If it is less than $2500 more than the '11, it is the better buy (because the '11 will be worth at least $2500 less 3-4 years from now).

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• Good advice about shopping for the EX-L, but I'd disagree about the premise being whether he "needs" the features that it offers. These are luxury items (leather seating, sunroof, etc.), so it's only a question of wanting them and being willing to pay for them, not what is "needed." A need is basic transportation to get to a job or buy groceries. If that was the sole criteria, both of these choices are far beyond the "need" category. Rather, he'd be considering a used LX with a lot of miles but good mechanical condition.
    edited September 2011
    I hear you, but I'm not going to tell someone what they think a "need" vs. a "want" is. Otherwise we can all take the bus or train or bike or walk for basic transportation. And certainly not be buying an Accord of any kind. ;)
    we can all take the bus or train or bike or walk for basic transportation

Not where I live. :P

Well, for you there's a nice 1986 Excel. :P
  • Seems a little luxurious... How bout a Yugo? :P

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

edited September 2011
    Can't I at least have something that won't break every day and has some parts available? :sick:

Sounds like a "want" to me! ;)
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    Well, what you want then is what police departments use.

But in all seriousness, MPG aside, a Grand Marquis is cheap to run, cheap to repair, and nearly impossible to kill short of massively abusive driving. And it actually is pretty fast merging into freeway traffic.

That you can get them for nearly nothing used is a good thing as well. Just make sure you get one that isn't a police or taxi. The easy way is to find one that has the optional two-tone paintjob.
    Agree on the GM. But were any GMs used as police or taxi? I believe those were all Crown Vics. And then the Towncars used as Limos/taxis. I think the GM is pretty safe.

Oh no. Cause I NEED to get to work. :P

• mjl0690mjl0690 Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    Thanks gbrozen. After saving up for a few months and considering your advice, I ended up going for the new 2011 F-150
    http://www.siskford.com/110073/2011-Ford-F-150.html.

I greatly appreciate your advice!
    edited September 2011
    congrats. Enjoy it.

Certainly a departure from the Foci you were looking at. ;)

• Thx, guys. I ended up purchasing a 2012 EX-L as the price gap between 2011 and 2012 isn't that much since most dealers do not have much 2011s left in their lots.