Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

Comments

• mskitkamskitka Posts: 20
    So I made sure I test drove a 2012 V6 this time. It was a lot of fun! I really liked it, but now I have to see if I can even afford a lease on it, as Ford isn't really kind in this area. If I can't afford it, back to the drawing boards....
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,708
    Plus, it's inexpensive. Though, you really do want one with manual unless you are so weak and old that you can't use your left leg. The difference between the manual and automatic in the Mustang is dramatic, to say the least, in city driving. So much so that I'd drive a manual over an automatic and I live in Los Angeles.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I personally would only have a manual on my as yet tbd weekend high performance car.

For daily driving a modern automatic does the job, gets better mileage and is much easier to contend with in traffic.

After driving a manual for 12 years, I gave it up due to the congestion. It wasn't worth on the clutch off the clutch every 3 inches.
    Nah, it's technique. :P You have to seriously get into the "I don't care" big trucker mode.

Pick a gear. stay in it and ignore the surrounding traffic during a jam. Stay7 in 1st or 2nd gear and shift as little as possible. Ignore distance between yourself and the cars around you. That is, don't care about if it's 10 or 30 ft between you and the car in front.

Traffic jams are a snap. The last one I was in I shifted a total of 6 times in 30 minutes.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,916
    Pick a gear. stay in it and ignore the surrounding traffic during a jam. Stay7 in 1st or 2nd gear and shift as little as possible. Ignore distance between yourself and the cars around you. That is, don't care about if it's 10 or 30 ft between you and the car in front.

Yup. I practice this as well. You also have to avoid the temptation to upshift when you know you'll just be slowing down again. I almost never have to use 1st in traffic.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

I hear what you are saying, but it's not worth it at this point in my life. Get in the shifting while you can, because soon even this will be gone as the govt will make it impossible for car companies to sell cars where the emissions and/or mileage doesn't make the cut.
  • FWIW, I have a 2009 TSX, and have had to replace the rear brake pads twice, rear rotors warped/replaced once ($700 total in brake repair costs), and the car only has 34k miles. It also feels underpowered to me, lots of hesitation in the transmission, imo. The dealer said that was normal. I don't believe I will get another one when my lease is up. I can't recommend it, but maybe the brake problems have been fixed in the 2012 model, who knows. It's a really pretty car.
    There's hundreds of stories like that for every car manufacturer on the road. My prior BMW was the best in terms of ownership experience, go figure.

When you buy any car you gamble with reliability. I have more than a few bookmarked posts where posters have complained long and loud about supposedly reliable cars.
  • mskitkamskitka Posts: 20
    I understand what you're saying kdshapiro. However, it's interesting to hear that and something I've seen is a problem with Acura's, at least the TSX's. This is the same problem with my Honda. They do have an issue with the pads wearing down too fast compared to other car manufacturers, Honda/Acura. It's the only problem I had with my car, but 3x changed under 23K miles is a bit much.

It's safe to say that even though every car co. will have a lemon handed out here and there, if the majority of consumers have had similar negative issues with a car, we should probably listen ;) As for the clutch issue, I hear you on the coasting concept, but I have knee problems, so until I can afford a weekend car, tiptronic it is for daily needs! Needless to say I'm a car purist at heart, and there is no denying the feel of the road with a manual.
  • Apparently the problems with the 2009 TSX brake pads are widespread enough that there was a class action lawsuit, which Acura settled. Something about the type of pads used. If you google it you'll find lots of information. But, even after the bad pads on my car were replaced with the so-called good pads, I still had to have them replaced again within 6 months, plus the warped rotors. The dealer couldn't explain why the rotors warped, said it was not due to the pads, just happens sometimes, normal wear and tear. I did get a $150 reimbursement on the pads by filing a claim under the class action (which the dealer didn't mention to me, I found out about it when I started researching the brake problems, after spending $700). I would like to know if the brake problems have been addressed since 2009. I've been looking at other cars, but it is hard to beat the TSX on value, it's just a nice car for the money, except for the brakes.
  • jjbro1jjbro1 Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    I'm trying to decide between a 2012 Subaru legacy, and a 2012 Toyota Camry SE. My friend works at a subaru dealer and he said he could get me a leather wrapped legacy for around 24k OTD. But I'm not sure if that's with a nav and a sunroof. The awd is nice but I don't think I'll use it much. The legacy is roomy too which is especially good for me since I'm very very tall. I really like the look of the new camry and I was offered a little bit over 27k OTD with nav backup camera sun roof but no leather. I'm somewhat of a tech guy so the iPod features and pandora and bing apps in the Camry really have me excited. The Camry however is pretty expensive for me. I've heard that camrys haven't been all that reliable in the past and I don't know too much about subarus. Which car has the best resale value? Based on personal experiences and word of mouth which of these two cars should i get?
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,579
    edited November 2011
    Hey, I'm somewhat middle aged & weak on my left side and can't use my left leg to shift due to my on the job injury so I'd have to say go with the auto Mustang if that's what you'd like. But in this case, I'd go with the 2008 TSX and be done with it...a very sweet ride with all the bells & whistles...unfortunately your situation obviously is different. The Mazda3 with the Skyactive engine would probably be the lowest priced car for ya & they are fun cars to toss around...we own an S model and it's a hoot to drive!

Shame you can't get off the leasing merry go round as one never owns anything this way. Sometimes a CPO car is the way to go with it's great warranty in most cases...just a thought. Good luck with whatever you end up with...remember, you need a reliable car you can enjoy!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

I don't know where you heard Camry's weren't reliable, but it's not an accurate statement. I personally do not look at reliability ratings when I buy a car, because I realize the car I get could be a lemon despite a perfect 100 score by JD Powers.

My "unreliable" XT now has 80K miles on it and the only warranty repair is the seat flipper downer thingy in the rear. I also "heard" Subarus were unreliable, especially if one has a turbo.

Nobody can tell you what to do. If you "heard" Camrys are unreliable you should keep that in mind when deciding your purchase decisions.
  • I recently drove a Subaru Legacy, which I thought was the car I wanted to buy, on a second test drive. Loved the handling, but I just couldn't get comfortable in the seats. I'm 5-1, but my 6-1 husband couldn't get comfortable either. Take the Legacy on a long test drive before you buy. I'm older and have some orthopedic issues (the price of an active life), so perhaps if you're younger you won't be bothered. But it's hard to tell how comfortable you are in a 15-minute test drive.
    My mother has 90K on her LeSabre and it has had virtually nothing go wrong with it, either.

That said, Toyota never has made a very reliable V6 engine, and their automatic transmissions are upwards of $4K for a replacement. Their claim to fame, worldwide, has always been 4 cylinder cars and their manual transmissions. If you get one with both, you'll have the doors rust off before it dies. Honda also is similar in that I'd take a 4 cylinder Accord over the V6 as the 4 is better.
  • What the dealer may tell you as "warped rotors" may or may not be warped. Honda pads are known for material buildup on the rotors which will show symptoms the same as rotors that are warped.

Your option is to get new rotors and 3rd party pads (Autozone's Gold CMAX brake pads, Hawks or EBC Greenstuff) or live with it. I have been living with this issue for a good part of over 10 years on various Hondas. I may switch but I would prefer silent pads over even the slightest squealing which at least most Honda pads do not do.

You should really learn to change these yourself. They are simple to do and will then ask yourself why are you paying $150 labor to do something you can do in 30-60 minutes on your own.
    I definitely don't agree about the Toyota. I know several people who have 4s and 6s north of 150k miles without a hitch. I don't know how much Toyota Camry trannies cost, I never knew anyone who needed them.

From my observations about American cars in my opinion reach a point and then they fall apart (I still think I'm thinking of the old GM). Maybe it's not true in 2011, but there is no American car I'm interested in as a daily driver.

Although my son just bought a Focus, which I really like.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    That said, Toyota never has made a very reliable V6 engine

I would disagree with that. Outside of recent recalls, Toyota's are extremely reliable, V6 engines included.

I would not hesitate to buy V6 equipped Toyota if reliability was the only factor I was considering.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Although my son just bought a Focus, which I really like.

I really like the build quality of the Focus. It's really impressive. Back seat is a little tight, though.

How is the fuel economy?
    Agreed on the back seat. Fuel economy is very good. He gets north of 28 in a mix of driving.