Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    Why does it have to be 2005+?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,350
    Our HOST gave you the best advice in my opinion.

For under 10,000 you can buy a great used car. So what if it's out of warranty? If something breaks, just have it fixed.

Take the extra 15,000 and invest it somewhere and watch it grow.

As far as a V-6 Accord. they are NOT troublesome cars just totally unnecessary. The 4's have more than ample power.

Civic or Accord, You can't go wrong! If you do go used just make sure it gets a total inspection.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, I know!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    It doesn't... but see the post I replied to.
    edited November 2011
    I didn't read that there was an option to take $23k cash and do whatever he wanted with it. If that's the case, I would definitely buy a less expensive car, not a $23k sedan. There's some very nice NEW cars perfect for a student in the $15-16k range. And some very nice used cars with factory warranty/certified warranties (if that is important) in the $12-15k range.

I thought the decision needed to be between a new Accord, a used TSX, or a used IS. That was how I replied.

I let my oldest son use my six-year-old 626 when he was finishing junior year in high school. Cost me $7k. He drove it through college, then I turned the title over to him for his graduation gift and then sold it for around $3200 a few months ago, and applied that towards a 2007 Accord SE sedan. He should get a lot of miles out of that. My other son is driving my 2004 Elantra GT hatch, purchased new, to college now (sophomore). When he graduates it will be just over 10 years old but will probably have 80k miles on it or less. Still runs and looks new (except for a few dings). I'll turn the title over to him when he graduates. He wants to be a high school teacher so he'll probably need to hang onto it for awhile after college--they don't make real big bucks. It's worth about $6000-6500 now.

So yes, there's some good sub-$8000 cars out there. But not a lot of them, since prices have skyrocketed in the past year or two. And not the question that was asked.
  • I didn't read that there was an option to take $23k cash and do whatever he wanted with it.

I didn't either... I recommended that he make that suggestion to his parents (and not, whatever he wanted... lol)

Of course, what do I know.... I'm turning my son into a CCB.... he has two cars under $8000.... ;)

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,578
    Agree with the '08 TSX...better than the current model with it's more compact size. Would trade my Civic for a low miled one in a heartbeat if wife would let me. TSX does use premium fuel, but am sure 8 octane could be used. Saw a blue over stone leather which I feel in love with actually but didn't make much financial sense to jump on it...in a perfect world, I'd have one in the garage now!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Was a 1952 Chevrolet I paid 35.00 for. It served me well until my parents gave me their 1962 Buick Special.

I wonder how I survived?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    Oh! I missed that part about 6 years old and $8k.

Now I git it.

Anyhow, my suggestion to the OP is an older, cheaper car. I don't know anyone who had their first car last very long, even when it was a new car. The car will suffer much abuse. Might as well be something you won't regret killing.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

I wonder how your folks survived on $3,900 a year, which was the average annual income in the USA in 1952? Or maybe they were rich and made all of, say, $5,000 a year. ;)

Some of the kids at the high school my boys went to had Audis, BMWs, Volvos, newer Hondas, etc. etc.--all or almost all gifts from parents I'll wager. Those parents obviously had different thoughts than I did when it came to providing a car to their kids for school. Well, it's their money. Hope their kids appreciated their parents' generosity. Some kids would love to have a $300 beater (today's equivalent of your '52 Chevy) to drive.
    The year was 1966 when I had my old Chevy. The CAR was a 1952, not the YEAR!

Looking back, I don't think anyone in my high school had a new car with a couple of exceptions. I do remember a couple of new VW's and one guy bought a new Corvair.
  • drvettedrvette Posts: 99
    edited December 2011
    Regarding your concern about excessive magnetic fields in a Hybrid, I've had a EMF meter in the past, as a worker in an Electric Generating Plant, I had concerns.

I was relieved to find that my office, which was less than 100' from a 120mw generator, had only background EMF's .

You can buy one from Amazon or Home Depot for $25-30

The range on mine went from sub 2mg to 30mg

Montana, I believe, is the only state to have a EMF TWA average of 2mg in an 8 hr period.

Bringing me to my point, steel belted tires at highway speeds generate a pretty hefty magnetic field.

I suggest getting one and check your Hybrid's and non-Hybrid cars on the Interstate to see what the passengers are subject to.
    link title

A few years back lots of people were concerned about living "near" high tension power lines [500k Volts+]

I tested the "right-of-way" near some of our 230k lines and the meter showed only "background" EMF's until I crossed the boundary of the R.O.W.

When I got into the right of way, the meter suddenly went to 30mg
    Outside it, ZERO.

I also checked every item in the home, we've all heard about ceiling fans and hairdryers putting off excess EMF's, True but to be in "the field" of a ceiling fan, you have to stand in a chair, or on the coffee table.

Hairdryer, sure it's Hot, but just like any radiation,
    the TWA [Time Weighted Average]
    or exposure rate vs time of exposure is what counts.

One hazard in the home is NOT obvious.
    The little transformers, like your cordless phone, drill, cell, kids low voltage toys etc.

Those little black boxes, plugged into a 110v outlet, put out a full 30mg within a foot or less. Beyond 2', Zero mg on the meter..

Lots of beds have a AC outlet with these plugged into them, right by the headboard, THIS IS A HAZARD,,, especially to Children.">link title.

A simple and cheap fix for this, buy a $5.00 Multi-Outlet strip and move the transformer away from the headboard.

I've warned anyone who'd listen.

EMF's can be dangerous, given a large enough dose over a long enough time span, hence the term TWA.

DrVette

BTW, remember when Mom griped about sitting too close to the TV..
    Back in the days before LCD or Plasma tv's they all were CRT, Cathode Ray Tube.

Guess what a CRT emits ?
    Gamma Rays, Mom was RIGHT !!
  • There are a number of new cars under $15,000. The Hyundai Accent comes to mind. New basic cars have a good warranty, get great mileage now, and used as ex-rentals with 30k miles rarely cost a lot less than new ones. I foolishly bought a new 2011 Malibu (26k list - I paid 22) when I could have bought the identical 2009 for about $12k with around 30k miles. I'll keep it till 2015 and get a used certified Cadillac XTS or an Avalon.

If I was getting a teenager a car I'd look at either a new subcompact like an Accent or a 2009-10 Cobalt coupe for around $11 watching for one with low mileage under 30k. The Cobalt has more standard equipment than an Accent and looks neater especially in red or yellow. I have a 2009 that has been trouble free and gets great gas mileage.
  • A reporter is interested in talking with shoppers who held, or are still holding, onto their vehicle longer than usual and are now finally returning to the market. You should have already bought after deferring a purchase, or expect to buy in the near future. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 23, 2011 and include your contact information.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• I responded via email to pr@edmunds.com this morning 12/23/11.........
    then recieved a " out of office " email response.
  • Hi

I am debating between buying a brand new Altima or Sonata GLS (automatic transmission).

I test drove both, and liked them both equally - although the Altima seemed more roomy on the front/passenger seats. The Sonata had slightly better gadgets for the base model (heated side mirrors, ipod dock) and also better interior storage I also test drove an Accord, but the price difference makes me lean towards either Altima or Sonata.

We are expecting an addition to our family this year, so two very important thing for us is child seat & trunk space. Since we do not own a child seat, we were unable to put one in and see how they fit and how much room it leaves in the rear..

Can someone comment on which car is better for these two requirements?

[Crossposting from http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f24da7b/1 based on member suggestion]
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    I recommend the 2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS for several reasons.

SPACE- The Sonata's passenger volume (interior space) is 104 cu ft, compared to 101 cu ft for the Altima. The Sonata's trunk has 16.4 cu ft of space vs. 15.3 cu ft for the Altima.

WARRANTY- Hyundai- Basic- 5yr/60k, Powertrain- 10yr/100k, Roadside Assistance- 5yr/Unlimited
    Nissan- Basic- 3yr/36k, Powertrain- 5yr/60k, NO Roadside Assistance

FUEL ECONOMY- Hyundai- 24/35mpg vs. Nissan- 23/32mpg

SAFETY- Both cars are very safe, but the Sonata performed better in the rear-impact collision test conducted by the IIHS. It evaluates the performance of the design of the seat and head-restraint in low to moderate speed rear impacts. The Altima was rated as Acceptable, while the Sonata earned the highest rating of Good.

For 2012, all Sonatas have a new feature called BlueLink. It is a telematics system similar to OnStar in basic concept. It will automatically transmit the GPS coordinates in the event of a collision or if you call Roadside Assistance via the system. Functions such as voice navigation, remote unlock, remote start, maintenance alerts, stolen vehicle tracking and weather/traffic are also offered for a slightly higher annual fee ($79, $179 or $279/year).

One of my co-workers has a 2011 Sonata GLS and she loves it! Her only regret is that she didn't get the GLS Popular Equipment Package. For only $750, it includes Power Adjustable Driver's Seat w/ Lumbar, 16" Alloy Wheels, Automatic headlight control and Upgraded Door Panel trim. I would highly recommend it for the wheel upgrade alone! =)

Good luck and congrats on the kiddo!
    edited December 2011
    The other thing is, if you are planning to buy one of these soon, do it by Jan. 2 as both Hyundai and Nissan have year-end incentives. For example, I am visiting in Central TX this week and a dealer in the Austin area is advertising $3000 off MSRP on Sonatas, not including the Military rebate which is $500 additional off. I know Nissan has year-end specials also.

And the other thing is, since both the Altima and Sonata have been around awhile in present form, you could save a lot of money by buying a slightly used car. With the Sonata, you could get one 1-2 years old and still have a lot of warranty left.

On fuel economy... although the Altima's EPA ratings are a little less than the Sonata's, I've found the Altima 2.5 with CVT is very efficient for a mid-sized car. I rented one last week (had only 1600 miles on it) and drove it over a few days and several hundred miles, and it averaged 35 mpg with mostly highway miles but also some city driving in the Chicago suburbs and Milwaukee.
  • Thanks backy. Yes, there are some great deals going on right now for Altima. My dealer is willing to sell the Altima 2.5S for 18k + TTL
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Good luck. I rented a 2011 Sonata for three weeks and the family hated the wallowy ride, enough to know the sonota out of the running of the new car race. Space was good, gadgets were good.

Make sure you are okay with the ride, on rough surfaces. It was not inspiring.
  • Sorry, I forgot to update this thread. I bought the Nissan Altima after test driving both the car one more time.