Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

1116117118119120122»

Comments

• suydamsuydam Posts: 980

I still think Honda Fit is best overall choice. Versatile, inexpensive, good on gas and cheap to maintain. It will be less than new Camry or Sonata too.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,603

While I like the Fit, if a lot of highway miles are involved I've read lots of noise complaints. So a good long test drive is in order, over the types of roads/speeds/distance expected in daily use.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728

I agree. Also, a base Fit (LX) with CVT (to reduce engine RPMs and noise and for better FE) is $17k, and good luck getting much of a discount on this all-new car. That's very close to what a 2014 Sonata GLS would run, and only a little less than a 2014.5 Camry LE.

Also the OP said "sedan", and the Fit isn't a sedan. Although I prefer hatchbacks myself.

@texases said: While I like the Fit, if a lot of highway miles are involved I've read lots of noise complaints. So a good long test drive is in order, over the types of roads/speeds/distance expected in daily use.

True. Then I'd suggest a Hyundai Elantra. A leftover '14 will be $15k or less. You won't get a '14 Camry for that. Elantra is a pretty decent commuter car too.

Actually, because of the big incentives on leftover Sonatas right now, they turn out to be a better deal than the leftover Elantras. And the Sonata is a much nicer car than the Elantra. You might be able to get an Elantra for $15k, with a stick. I think it would be closer to $16k. But a Sonata with the 6AT, much more power and room and more comfortable, wouldn't be much more.

Example of what I mean: at my local dealer, a sign-and-drive 3-year lease on the 2014 Elantra SE (base model) is $189/month. But for the Sonata GLS it's only $10 more per month. For $10 more a month, $360 over 3 years, I'd take the Sonata.

That's for a lease. To buy Elantras are a couple grand cheaper.

On Fitzmall (for example), the difference is about $1500, base Elantra AT to base Sonata AT. Thus I'd go with the lease... $199/month with nothing up front for 36 months is a great deal for a car like the Sonata.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,626

backy, that is why I have been seriously considering a lease now. Camry, Altima, Sonata are all pretty much readily available for right about that $200 _+ tax (so ~$215/mo) will very little cash up front. Lot of car for the money if you are OK with a basic model (cloth, no moonroof, no power seats, stuff like that).

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    edited July 22

You can get a base model Mustang with nothing on it for 18K right now (just look for the loss leader ads in the local papers). It's an excellent step up from a typical econobox and is great for long commutes. The base model has all of the features most economy cars have at their upper trim levels. The "base" stereo is crazy loud, it has alloy wheels, 4 wheel disc brakes, power windows, power doors, and on and on. It's as nicely optioned as a normal trim Camry or Accord. It even turns the interior lights off if you forget to do so.

Without a doubt it's the most bang for the buck right now. Ford is dumping them left and right in order to make room for the 2015 re-design, which is only a little better. The new ones are going to be 24K, though, and no discounts. At 6K less, the 2014s are an absolute steal.

I just got 27mpg on mine my last tank and the 305hp makes it a blast to drive. The long wheelbase and high profile 17" tires also makes for a ride that sorry to say, no Fit or Civic or Focus will match.

Drive one. Then try to not grin.

Yes, it's over the budget. My budget was the same and I drove everything I could - literally dozens of cars. And in the end, I paid the little bit extra for a similar deal. I just couldn't deal with the reality of driving a gutless little tin can after driving big cars and SUVs for years.

• barnieboybarnieboy Posts: 3

I hope that you make the right choice!

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,805

A reporter is looking for shoppers who recently traded in a midsize sedan for an SUV because they think gas prices aren’t a big deal anymore or they were just blown away by the fuel-efficient crossover offerings now available. If you think you can help, please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by no later than Wednesday, September 10, 2014.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.