Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

Comments

• From Consumer Reports:

"Overwhelmingly, the best values come from Japanese automakers, including most of the top models in the categories. (See Best & worst values.) Of the 48 best values in our lists, 34 are from Japanese brands. Six models come from European brands (mostly Volkswagen), five come from American ones (mostly Ford), and three are from South Korean automakers."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/buying-advice/best-values/overv- iew/index.htm
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    edited January 2012
    There's only one Korean vehicle, the obsolete Sedona, on CR's list of Worst Vehicles. So much for your assertion that Korean vehicles are very, very bad.

As for CR's opinions on new Korean cars:

* A Korean car (Genesis) is preferred by CR over the like-priced Lexus car. Both are among the highest-scoring vehicles CR has tested.
    * A Toyota is one of the lowest-scoring vehicles in CR's tests. There are no Korean vehicles in CR's list of Lowest Scorers.
    * There's 8 Korean cars that CR recommends in its "under $25k" list. There's only 5 Hondas and Toyotas. The new Civic was so poor in CR's tests, they didn't even recommend it.

Welcome to 2012, where the Japanese brands no longer have the advantage in quality they once had. But then, Korean vehicles no longer have the huge price advantage they once had.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Posts: 312
    edited January 2012
    You could not pay me to pick a Genesis over a Lexus. What a joke. All I can say, is buy a Korean car and experience it for yourself. I have and I won't be going back anytime soon...

Also, looking at a consumer reports Ratings and Pricing 2011 right in front of me. 2011 Gensis coupe and sedan reliability is average (hollow circle) Lexus IS: Excellent (solid red). None of their cars have solid red reliability.
  • Well, this is a bit off-topic for our conversation's focus here. This topic is designed to help members with their decision regarding which sedan to purchase. We understand that you won't buy a Korean-made vehicle, but unless there's another question, this really isn't the place to just have a general discussion about Hyundia/Kia.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    In metro Atlanta they "give away" 2012 Altima 2.5S (not base) models for under $18k, as well.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 837
    Hum. You were happy the first couple of years you had the Sedona. After that it looks as if you had a change of heart. Does Puerto Rico have the same type of dealer network as the continental US? Do you get the same vehicles and warranty? Just curious.

#24 of 35 2006 Sedona by lavrishevo
    Feb 19, 2010 (8:35 am)

Has been a great van . Few minor problems fixed immediately by the dealer. 31k and running great. Best van for the money by far!
  • If you recently considered a hybrid but decided on a fuel-efficient non-hybrid instead, please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, February 3, 2011 to share your story.
    Please include your daytime contact information and a few words about the decision you made.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,578
    Great little car that we really love...only issue has been a brake light switch that was replaced under warranty in under 2 hours. Service department is very good to boot and will probably purchase a 2012 Accent by years end. Have owned Japenese brand cars since the 80's and have 3 others presently. We're quite happy with our choices.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• chickraechickrae Posts: 44
    I am so confused as to what to buy. I was convinced I was going to buy a brand new 2012 Elantra and now after reading another forum on here where people are posting that the gas mileage of 40mpg isn't all that accurate, I am not sure. I am buying it for the gas mileage but that is not the number one reason. I like the style of the car, the XM radio and the price is probably number 1. I also like the civic and the corolla but I felt the elantra had more room and I also want something comfortable. I think the Honda accord is as roomy but I can't afford a brand new accord.
    Help.... any thoughts from anyone that own one of these three cars and why they are happy with them would help me out. I am buying one of these cars easter weekend.
  • mr_gonemr_gone Posts: 50
    I think you're letting a fairly minor piece of information steer your decision in a way that it shouldn't. There will always be people talking about gas mileage figures in ways that are not necessarily scientific. You can probably find similar talk about the Corolla and Civic. It's cheaper than the others to begin with, right? So don't get bent out of shape about whether it will cost you another $100 a year in gas than you expected. Buy it, be happy and don't look back.
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    The current issue of Popular Mechanics tested the Elantra and got well over 40MPG hwy when driven at 55MPH - the mileage dropped to below 40MPG at 70 MPH. Mileage is very driver dependent.
    edited March 2012
    First, the Elantra and Civic and likely the Corolla will give you better FE than a current-gen Accord. You could likely find a good used 2008+ Accord for a similar price as a new Elantra, but it won't have a factory warranty unless it's a CPO car. Of course the Accord has more room--it's rated a full-sized car by the EPA. If you want that kind of room, you should be looking at the Accord plus its competitors e.g. Altima, Camry, Fusion, Mazda6, Sonata, Optima. FWIW, you might be able to get a new Altima 2.5S or Fusion for not much more than an Elantra GLS, as the Altima and Fusion are discounted pretty heavily (they are due for a redesign very soon). Same for the 2012 Malibu, good clearance deals on those before the 2013s come in. But those are all "mid-sized" cars--a size up or more from the Civic, Corolla, and Elantra.

If you like a lot of back-seat room, the Jetta might be the best "compact" in that area. But the base Jetta has an anemic 115 hp engine and the dash is pretty chintzy. Has a nice low price, however.

I've driven the Elantra several times, have driven several current-gen Corollas, and have taken the 2012 Civic LX on a long test drive (5MT). IMO the Elantra is clearly the tops in that group, and the Corolla at the bottom. The Civic wasn't terrible but I like the dash of the Elantra much better than the Civic's, and the Elantra has more back seat leg room. The Corolla has a cheap interior IMO and the least back seat room of the bunch. Also I find it uncomfortable to drive. It's possible you'd get a little higher FE with the Civic, but you have to decide if that is most important to you. You might find you can get a Civic LX for less money than an Elantra GLS.

Be sure you take the cars on a LONG test drive before plopping down your hard-earned money.
    This is true. I really have wanted the Elantra for almost a year now and have test driven in 4 or 5 times. I dont like the looks or style of the corolla or civic and I didn't like the style of the elantra before 2011 but now I can't get it out of my head. All these tests people have done with the mileage and trying to see if it has the 40 mpg highway is something I don't care to do when I get it. Anything will be better than what the 18 I am getting now. I keep my cars a long time (2001 for the mustang and 1995 Montero which i currently have) and I plan on trading in the mustang and keeping this car a very long time. I just want to be sure. Hyundai in the past hasn't had the name like Honda or Toyota so I guess part of me worries about the name. I know when I bought the mitsubishi back in 1995, people told me you will have problems and that Montero has been the best car I have ever had.
    The only reason I threw the honda accord in there is that is what my son has had forever and tells me all the time how great they are. I want a new car as I have never had a new one, so a used accord isn't an option.

I have never driven a civic. Maybe I should drive one just to make sure I would or wouldn't want one. I have driven a Toyota, but again I don't like the looks of it.
    If you want to be more sure that you'll get the fuel economy you want on an Elantra, why not rent one for a week? Rental companies like Enterprise have them. Then drive it as you normally would during the week. Sure, it will cost you a couple hundred bucks or more to rent the car for the week, but it will be worth it to make sure the Elantra is the car for you. It's not much money in the grand scheme of things, given you want to keep the car for a long time.
  • mr_gonemr_gone Posts: 50
    Forget the Civic. Honda did a bad job updating the latest Civic, so much so that Consumer Reports doesn't recommend it and Honda is going to have to revise the update as soon as it can. The previous version of the car was great to drive, but both the previous one and the current one aren't particularly great when it comes to safety ratings. I say this as a loyal Honda owner -- all three of my family's vehicles are Hondas. But the newest is a 2006. The company has been off its game the past few years.
    backy, great idea to rent one. What do you think of the Elantras?

mr qone - thanks for that info on the civic. The civic just seems small to me. I like the room in the elantra.
    I am looking to buy a hatchback next year and the new Elantra GT hatch is on my list to consider. But it's not available until later this year. I like the Elantra sedan ok, especially the cockpit and rear seat room, which is huge for a compact, but I prefer the Mazda3, Focus, Golf, and Impreza in terms of ride/drive. Of the 3 you are considering, I prefer the Elantra.
    So I am assuming the GT has a bigger engine? (thinking of my ford mustang GT) How is the gas mileage suppose to be? Someone I know just bought the Mazada 3 touring skyactive, which is suppose to be even better gas mileage than the Elantra. I Hadn't considered the mazda, but my daughter has a Mazda 6 and loves it. Does the mazda 3 have a good warranty?
    No, same powertrain on sedan and GT but GT has an adjustable steering feel and sport-tuned suspension, also a different dash (which I like better than the sedan's), several more features/options including backup camera and panoramic sunroof (which I don't need but some people may like them), and of course the hatchback configuration with more rear headroom and cargo room, which includes a flat-folding rear seat (with a flip-up rear seat bottom). Projected FE on the GT will be very close to that of the sedan, I think I saw 1 mpg less.

You might want to check out the Mazda3 Skyactiv, if you don't need a lot of rear seat legroom. It doesn't get better mpg than the Elantra but is very close, and is a blast to drive especially with the short-throw stick. All new Mazdas sold in the USA have the same warranty, AFAIK.