Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    The Note looks pretty nice, but... 109 hp and a CVT? Slowwwww. Must be a better way to get 40 mpg on the highway... like maybe the Mazda3i. :)
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    edited January 2013
    I like the Soul...quirky ride and I slid right over instead of falling into. They have a cream pearl color which is stunning but wasn't impressed with the mpg's. But hey, when I'm ready to buy my next, and last vehicle, it might be a better all around ride. We're quite happy with our one Hyundai already in the stable so buying a Kia won't be a problem. And that vehicle will be one that I can ingress/egress from very easily...that and comfort will be the two most important assets any choice will have to have for me. And kinda like the longer warranty on these Korean vehicles, like the piece of mind that it gives.

I like the looks and comfort of the Verano...it seems to be more upscale than it's price lets on...it's just a nice looking car! Probably, no, is the only GM I'd even consider which is saying a lot about its perceived goodness to me...it makes my current Civic look like a real econo car. Since my next will be my last, I want a super comfortable, affordable vehicle that I could pass to my wife or kids...I want my last to be something special...at least more special than my Civic!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• I definitely wish to buy new accord ex-l w/nav but not sure about four or six. With the four, not sure about CVT. With the six, not sure about that thing that turns off three of the cyllinders when not in use, and also don't know if worth the sacrifice in gas mileage with the six. Difference in purchase price not a problem. Please help, anyone.
  • Please feel free to assist me in previous question or re-direct me to a more appropriate site. I have heard bad things about CVT and need to know if is bad enough to warrant buying a V6 even though I don't need all that extra horsepower. Thank you in advance for any help.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    Hi YAT - if you look to the right on this screen, there's a box to enter keywords. We have several discussions about the 2013 Accord, so if that's the model you're looking at, just enter 2013 accord in that box and you'll get a list. Current owners can give you feedback there.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    From what I've read, the cvt in the new Accord is probably the best on the market today. It does take some getting used to, as my kid has a Versa SL hatch with it and it drives a bit differently than a regular auto tranny...not bad...just different. But once you get used to it, it's a breeze actually. I wouldn't be concerned one bit with the Honda version as they wouldn't put it out there if they had any reservations about it since it's their best selling model.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,675
    yatitle: Honda's new CVT for the 2013 Accord is getting very positive reviews from everyone. Here's just one example from Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-honda-accord-sedan-first-drive-review

"But it’s the CVT’s tuning that makes the Accord feel fleet. The typical rubber-band delay has been minimized, and the throttle responds curtly when you ask for acceleration (although sometimes with some audible transmission whine at high revs). In mountain snakers as well as on city streets, the CVT works so efficiently that it all but disappears, and you never notice the lack of a manual control...."

The acceleration of the the 4 cylinder with the CVT is quick—less than 8 seconds 0-60.

You'll get better mpg with the 4, obviously, and so if you don't need sports car-like power that's probably the model you should go for.

Let us know how it goes at the test drive!

Best wishes....
  • So I've test driven a ton of cars, most of which 5 minutes or so which truly doesn't give enough time for a fair analysis of each. The Mazdaspeed3- the most boy-racer, worst gas mileage, least supportive seats, roughest riding, but by far the best performing. The Jetta GLI- love turbo power and 2.0T, easy to tune (APR/Revo/GIAC), great handler and ride, least visually appealing, spotty VW reliability, first 3 services free. Both of these require premium fuel. Lastly, the Honda Accord Sport sedan 6 speed- great handling/ride combination, super solid feeling, lots of standard features, gem of an engine, only color for me is gray, most grandpa-ish, slowest (0-60 6.7 1/4 15.3@93mph- which aren't bad), best mpgs, most proven reliability, regular unleaded, not much available to boost performance. Payments on all three would be $375-385 on 66 mos buying at invoice (less 1500 on the MS3) no money down. If I could find a low mileage 06-09 Jetta GLI 6 speed, I would have bought it already. I love that car. It's a 3rd car, daily driver for me, take my wife and boys places on occasion. We already have a 2012 Ford Fusion appearance pack car we love and a 2003 Suburban Z71.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Did you test drive the WRX and Focus ST? Where would they slot in?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,147
    since you are willing to consider used, how about a 335i?

A civic si would be a far better choice than the Accord if "sporty" is your priority.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,643
    Jetta GLI shouldn't be that hard to find..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• redlinezredlinez Posts: 12
    edited January 2013
    The GLI base car is what I'm looking for. The WRX is out of my budget range and I thought the Focus ST was way to hyperactive. It was all over the place on acceleration (not spinning), the turbo didn't even really kick in until 3500-4000 rpms, and they're all loaded up with options. I hate the Civic Si's dash and the throttle overrun is terrible. If it weren't for those two things, I'd probably go with a Si, that and I don't like the newest styling.
    The used car I'd buy today if I could find one, is a low mileage 06-09 Jetta GLI 6 speed. The wife hates GTI's, so can't go there again.
  • drvettedrvette Posts: 99
    I like the VW offerings until I joined a V-dub forum.
    $500~ timing belt
    poor quality fuel pumps, frt suspension, interior etc etc

So I bought a Cruze ECO 6sp
    Timing "chain"
    Cast Iron block
    Quality build and good skidpad figures.

132+ top mph @ 32psi t.p. from the 15# boost @ 2000rpm~ has real seat-of-the-pants power.
    I've hit 125~ twice. This thing is Quick!

The ability to get 50mpg by hypermiling is pretty neat.

Goodyear Assure-Max(sp?) LLR tires are v. stiff & max of 51# cold press gives tidy handling.

Chk cruzetalkforums.com

As always YMMV
    ;-)
    Doc
  • Just drove all three today. The Accord sport is out because it's just a great driving large car, we already have a 12 Fusion we love. I really love the Speed3's power and just how raw the driving experience is. Great brakes and steering. But the interior feels cheaper than the Vdub and after visiting the really annoying Mazdaspeedforum, it's plagued with interior rattles and noises. Haven't read that about the MKVI Jetta GLI. I drove the GLI I would buy today, the base car on 17" wheels. It just really lacks the low end torque the MKV had. Very clean interior design, feels way more upscale than the Mazda. Obviously two very different cars. I can get the 13 Speed3 for $1200 less than the GLI, but VW offers .9% for 66 mos, so the payment is only $10 more for the GLI. Really tough decision here......
    The Cruze is a nice looking car, rented one once with the turbo automatic. Just not in the same league powerwise and I think they're over-priced just as the Sonic.
    Can you drive a manual?

If so, you might want to consider a Civic Si.
  • That's all I'm looking at is manuals. Should have specified that too. I can't stand the Si's spaceship dash and throttle overrun programming. (from what I've read). I doubt it has enough low end for me.
    My brother in law has a 2012 Civic Si. This generation has much more low end torque, because they put in a 2.4 engine. The dash is weird, but I don't think it's a deal breaker. I think it's a lot of fun to drive and shift. Honda's manuals are about the best in the biz. Imho you should test drive it yourself before you write it off

But I've always loved VW GTIs. A four door of those would be a lot of fun, and quite functional too.
  • No one has a Civic Si around here. After reading more on VWVortex, looks like the new Jettas are rattle traps just like my MKV GTI was. So both the Speed3 and the GLI are prone to it. Wow, it's kind of amazing the money and technology supposedly in these cars that they can't build them better. People talk trash about US made cars, but I hardly ever had Chrysler/Jeep customers complaining about noises. Our 12 Ford Fusion SE on 18" wheels has never made any noises in 24k miles. Maybe it's the turbo power twisting the bodies too much.....
  • This is my first time buying a car by myself. How do I go about finding a mechanic for pre purchase inspection?

Do people just take the car to a national chain or hire specialty mobile mechanics for the job.

I would ideally buy from a private party.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Posts: 536
    I don't know you at all but here's some free advice. There are 3 things every man needs in life:
    1. a good barber
    2. a local joint to get cheap beer
    3. a good, trustworthy mechanic

Everything else is optional. :)