Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

Comments

• suydamsuydam Posts: 924
    But Vibe is not a sedan. Any of the ones you list should be great cars. I'm not a fan of Craigslist, but if you know someone selling that's always good. I have had pretty good luck in that price range at used car areas of dealerships. Negotiate just as with a new car, and check value at edmunds or kbb.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,733
    The best car in that price range and criteria is likely to be a 2005 Lexus IS300. It's basically a Japanese clone of a BMW E36. It certainly drives almost exactly like one. But it's way more reliable than the newer BMW and Mercedes models. And they made a manual model. The 2005 is the last year of the first generation IS as well, so it's a bit more polished and the issues have been worked out.

The IS250 is too soft and underpowered, IMO. The IS350 is basically a Infiniti G35/37 competitor. Great, but lacking that "sport sedan" balance that you typically get out of a European car. And the current generation also cost a hefty premium as well. Similar to say, a Cadillac CTS - the first gen models are dirt cheap now compared to the more modern design.

The first poster has a much wider range of criteria and a lower budget. That said, the IS300 would also be a good second choice for him as well.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?&listingId=33653513- 0
    This is a typical example. Avoid dealers like the plague in the 8+ year old range as the car usually will either be vastly overpriced or salvaged or have some other issue. And you want paperwork as well on it, of course. Yes, he's asking $2K more for it, but it is low miles and you can haggle.

A bit over your budget, but not terribly so considering that you get over a basic Toyota.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    Have a 2006 Civic and it really is a perfect vehicle for almost anyone...great mileage, not too big and reasonably priced. Cheap to keep also, a big plus. I have the new car bug, badly, but my Civic is so good and at 39.5k has a lot of life left that I have decided to keep it and upgrade the audio system to get aux input/usb port/bluetooth in one head unit...think it's the best way to go to enjoy it that much more. Particularly want the bluetooth integration so I can us e the smart phone while I drive when necessary and also want to treat myself to something nice since I'm putting in so many hours at my new job, my part time gig which is turning into an almost full time one. no complaints there but want to reward myself for a job well done!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Good price but lots of miles. But our '05 3s has just about 118k on the clock and it runs well now that we replaced 3 of the motor mounts. The a/c is acting up again and will need some $ put into it. But car drives like new now for a minimal investment of around $500...and the wife loves her car. Drove it last week to gas it up for her and that sucker really moves with the 2.3 engine...so much power at hand, puts my Civic to shame! What size engine does the '07 have? if it has the 2.3 like ours, it should still be very quick even with the added weight.

Good luck & keep us posted on what you do. And if you get it, welcome to the club. Zoom zoom!

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• pezzy669pezzy669 Posts: 4
    For anyone looking at a 3.

I have a 2010 3s that I have owned for 3 years/36k miles. It was an early build of the new body style (smily face). Despite being the first 6 months of the new body style it was build EXTREMELY well. The build quality and reliability of my '10 3 has blown my '03 Volkswagen Golf and '06 Volkswagen Jetta out of the water.

Tight as a drum even after 6k miles on horrendous Atlanta in town roads. One warranty repair that was well under $200 and no other issues to report. Coming from a Volkswagen owner this does not mean much, but I have to say my 2010 3 has been absolutely fantastic!

My 3 still drives like new, except for normal wear on the leather seats anyone who rides in my car still thinks it is new. Mazda builds some fantastic cars to say the least. Have had a truly good experience with my 2010 3s.

One con. Be wary of door dings!
    Was in the car earlier this evening and it's doing great. Almost at 119k and even the wonkey a/c seems to be fine...yay!

• patirenepatirene Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 Altima with 1800 miles on it. I have had it back to the dealer 4 times to have the center console fixed. The problem is not resolved, but a larger issue has taken precedence.

Now I have taken the car back to the dealership four times for the heater. When both sides were set for 80 deg, the right blew out tepid air and the left frigid air. The service agent felt both sides, agreed that something was wrong and set an appointment to repair. When I took it in, they couldn't replicate the issue and told me they couldn't fix it if they couldn't replicate the issue.

The second time, both vents blew only frigid air until the dail was turned to 88 or 89 deg. At that time the air changed from frigid to heat blast. There was no in between. Once again, I took it in, they witnessed the problem and set an appointment for repair. Again then could not replicate the problem, so they could not fix it. I had them check the records which documented that they had witnessed the problem and they agreed that they had indeed.

The service manager then began to explain to me that the new Nissan Altima has a heat sensor that checks the outside and the cabin air temperature and will not kick on the heat or air if the need is not indicated by their sensor.

At that point, I threatened to call the owner who is on TV regularly saying "If it has our name on it, you have our word on it."

Immediately, they provided a loaner and kept my car. The next day, they called to say that they have now ordered parts.

I have driven a Toyota Camry since 1973, each of them had almost 200,000 miles when traded. I have never had a defect or even a repair beyond basic maintenance. I am beside myself with buyers remorse!
    What a shame you are having problems with your new car. Nissan Altimas are usually very reliable. Hopefully this will get fixed soon and you will be able to enjoy it.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,680
    Maybe trade in on a new Honda Accord? My 2013 Accord has been great so far. But so sorry about your stress and difficulties. Hope things get resolved soon.
  • nynaxnynax Posts: 2
    Please help me figure out what kind of used cars to be looking for. I have three basic criteria:
    * must take regular unleaded fuel (no premium),
    * have an MPG higher than 17/23,
    * i would prefer if it can have a hitch installed

I currently have a 2005 Subaru outback Limited XT that I am trying to sell. It is a great car, but I am really trying to save money on gas and this cars "always on" turbo doesn't help. I also don't make a ton of money, so whatever I sell the car for is what I have for a new one...I could potentially try a payment plan and use the sale money to get started and use the time to search for other income, but that doesn't seem so smart :P
    You haven't given us much to go on. Sedan, hatchback, crossover? Used primarily for a commute or around town? Has to carry a family or just yourself?
    Subcompact, compact, midsized? Need to carry large items on a regular basis?
  • nynaxnynax Posts: 2
    The car is used primarily for commute, but I'd like to keep the extra trunk space for moving larger items (my girlfriend has a tiny aveo). I may be moving out of state this year which is part of the need for a hitch. With all that in mind I would probably prefer a hatchback or crossover.
    One possibility is the Pontiac Vibe. It's actually a Toyota Matrix but cheaper. They were made through 2009 I think. We have an '04. It gets around 25 mpg around town. Hatchback with huge space with back seats down and they fold flat. I'd be hesitant about a hitch though. They have enough power to scoot around but I wouldn't want to add any weight to one. They have a super-high reliability rate if you check Consumer Reports best used cars.

If you go with a somewhat smaller wagon or sedan than the Outback you will get better mpg. Another possibility is the Subaru Impreza, though the older models don't get very good mpg compared to today's.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    I think if you skip the hitch requirement you open yourself up to a much wider range of cars with much higher mpg ratings. Limiting yourself to something that can tow for a possible one-time move doesn't seem like a good move. There are lots of options for moving that might cost you a little more once but surely not enough to offset operating costs in the long-term.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    you can put a hitch on just about anything. But how much you can pull with it will vary greatly by vehicle. Good mileage and towing capacity don't usually go hand in hand since straining a little efficient car with a trailer would be very tough on the drivetrain.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• rav4manrav4man Posts: 21
    Get yourself a Ford F150 pickup. 4 door crew or supercab. Then you don't need
    to buy some trailer laying around. And you don't look like some dufus at Menards. Oh I forgot...women love a guy in a pickup eyeyyh
  • dixonwdixonw Posts: 1
    i'm try to buy or lease a brand new japanese SUV, i'm thinking 2013 or 2014 RDX, but should i buy or lease? which one is better price?

i have great credit score.

i never lease a car before, so i saw the car dealer has speical offer. after my lease, i can pay in the rest of the full price and buy that car, is that really worth it?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    Hop over to our Acura RDX Prices Paid discussion - you'll get more feedback there. (This discussion is about choosing between sedans.)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews