Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

Comments

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    "Short story long...haha! Most women want a friend of your persuasion...so you could still be the sugar baby...just not much sugar."

Haha, she's very resourceful and made one of her own, it took about nine months and he is 24 now!

That is actually how she and my mom became friends. Mom was seeing a physical therapy at her practice and overheard her having a conversation with another therapist about her son, Jordan. She was very worried about him because he struggles with bi-polar depression. After mom's therapy was finished, she took her outside and gave her a big hug and they talked for over two hours. That was three years ago...

Also, I'm the very rare sub-type of gay that is not good sidekick material for most women....they didn't even know my kind existed prior to me....I am what is known as a "boring gay"....a few years ago, I attended a charity event with my best friend and a drag queen was hadning out "Most Likely Awards" to random audience members. I was named "Most Likely to Be Mistaken for A Soccer Dad!" =)
  • marcus216marcus216 Posts: 78
    I also looked at both cars, but from the V6 perspective, though I did test drive both in the 4cyl models as well. I thought the 4 cyl/CVT combo in the Nissan was very loud and just too busy for me. The 4cyl/CVT combo in the Accord was significantly better, but I just don't like CVT transmissions. I settled on V6 EXL Accord because the gas mileage difference was not that great when upgrading to the 6 cyl car. And i felt the Accord was a bit more upscale than the Altima is. Just my opinion and again, I don't like CVT's. I am a stickler for tracking gas mileage. I have 2,000 miles on my Accord V6 and am averaging about 23 MPG in town and on my one interstate trip of about 200 miles, I got 34.8 going about 72mph. Most 4 cyl cars are hard pressed to match that.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 924
    Don't know if you can come in under $26k for a V6 though. I agree, Nissan CVT is really loud when it starts up; Accord is much quieter. And the gas mileage is better with CVT. After a V6 Maxima, I felt we could live with a 4cyl CVT. So far no problem.
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    Steer her to the TSX wagon. It'll come in handy after the divorce.
    I'm not to sure about that. She owns the house and she has a prenup! =)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The V6 gas mileage is not that bad and compares well to some 4 cylinder turbo cars with similar HP, but the 4 cylinder versions of both of these specific cars do much better with mpg. You would probably get closer to 40mpg on the same interstate trip and a few mpg more in the city with a 4 cylinder 2013 Altima or Accord.
    Plus, it not just fuel costs. There is the higher purchase price, plus there may be an insurance premium jump and higher maintenance costs over time.
  • marcus216marcus216 Posts: 78
    I agree with you regarding cost. I did have to pay a premium for the V6 over the 4cyl, no question. And it will cost me about $150 per year in added fuel cost. These are all variables that I evaluated when making my purchase. But the added power ans smoothness is important to me. the V6 is very quick and powerful. Ans since I intend to keep the car 8 to 10 years, I felt it was worth the added cost. But again, I drove the 4 cyl and found it very competent.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I stumbled on another car that is not meant to be a competitor to Accord and Altima, but might meet my needs for everything listed except the rear HVAC vents.
    There is a redesigned Kia Soul coming out in the fall that has push start available in an option package in the mid trim Soul Plus level.
    The current generaton Soul is too noisy buzzy for me, but apparently they really improved the driving refinement on the 2014s and they said it is 3db quieter than a 2013.
    I will have to wait for road test reviews and my own test drive to see if it is still too loud even after the NVH improvements for 2014. I will also wait for small overlap crash testing and first owners reports on quality issues, but if everything is fine, this could be another option.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,826
    A reporter would like to speak to a recent buyer of a Ford Focus ST who considered buying a VW GTI. If this fits your description and you'd like to share your story, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later
    than 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET on Monday, 5/6/13.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Hello,
    I am in need of some advice regarding the car I should purchase. I have three choices:

1. 08 Avalon XLS 61000 Miles Certified $16500
    2. 11 Hyundai Sonata SE (leather and nav) 45000 Miles Certified $17500
    3. 08 Honda Accord XLE (leather and nav) 58000 miles not certified $17400

I am wanting a car that is dependable and will last. All three cars listed above are in excellent condition.

Thanks for your help :)

Lance
  • Hey everyone,

Hopefully I posted this in the right area. Sorry if I didn't.

In any case, I'm going to give you the long story of this question, so you have a better idea of everything.

Three weeks ago, I got laid off after 10 months of working at a place and moving across the country (midwest to new england) for a job. Two weeks after that, I ended up totaling my car after an encounter with some deer on the interstate. Since I got laid off, I can't finance a car even though I have stellar credit and I also don't plan on staying around here for that much longer. I'm applying to jobs all over the country, so who knows where I will end up.

With that said. I got my insurance check and a little more money, so I'm looking for a car in the 7000$ range at the highest. I can't drive a stick and I would rather have a car over a truck or anything, just because of gas. I also don't know much about cars in general. I can check the fluids and tires, but that is about it. Everything else I'm clueless about.

I've spent this entire week going from dealer to private person, test driving, carfaxing, and everything. Looking at craigslist, autotrader and cars.com about everyday.

I'm pretty open to most cars, but I keep hearing good things about Hondas, Subarus and Fords.

I had a Chevy Cobalt and I never had major issues with it and got to 120k miles, before I crashed the damn thing. I bought it new, but also financed it back in the day. This not financing thing, makes it feels like I lack options, but maybe I'm just not savvy enough at the car shopping bit.

So far, I've came across 3 maybes. (I'm not sold on them, so any other suggestions I would love to hear.) All of them are from used car dealerships, which are always shady. For whatever reason, I can't find a decent car from a private person or when I finally get ahold of them, the car is already sold, though it has been a week.

Anyway, the first car was a 2005 Ford Taurus with about 87K miles on it. The engine kinda revved up and down slightly when it was idling, but I don't know if that is normal for a ford taurus or if I was looking too much into it. It also had some weird rust spots on the under side, also I don't know what is normal vs what is bad. The dealer wanted 6200$.

The second car was a 2005 Honda Civic with 119k miles on it. The brakes where kinda bad, but other than that everything else seemed alright. The dealer wanted 6900$ for that.

The Ford and the Honda was from the same dealer, who out of all the ones I've met, has been the most helpful and "honest" guy. I don't really trust anyone selling a car, because I've just came across to much bs. But I mean, he said he wouldn't sell anything to me until he delivered me carfax reports (his computer was messing up, he showed me, seemed legit) and he also wanted to do some regular maintenance because the cars were new. Also, when I googled the shop/dealer it got stellar reviews. Not to mention, he said I should take any car I want to purchase to a mechanic of my choice. The fact that he recommended it to me, before I brought anything like that up also makes me like the guy, if that makes any sense.

The last car I've came across was a 2003 Chevy Malibu with 82K miles on it for 4200$. The car drove the best, but reeked of smoke. But I mean it didn't idle weird, fluids seemed to check out, brand new tires, overall really nice. Since I'm trying to do research before I buy anything, I told the guy I was leaving and he immediately dropped the price to 3000$. I mean, it seems like a good deal, but it also seems like TOO GOOD of a deal, if that makes sense. He was also hesitant on a car fax report, so I did my own and it was clean, but still, the dealer seemed like a regular slime ball.

So that is where I am now. Any advice? Should I continue to look? Anything else I should check out on the cars? I need a car within probably 2 weeks, because I will be moving again.

In any case, anything you will tell me will probably be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    Civic is probably the only one I would consider. I'm not sure if that's a decent price or not but if it's super clean and brought up-to-speed on brakes/maintenance it might not be too bad. At least that one should be easy to sell down the road if you decide to get into something else. I'd probably also recommend trying to only spend $5,000ish so you have a little cushion for repairs down the road.
    I would not consider any of them. You will have much better success if you look at used cars at a new car dealership. Any car you buy should be checked out by a mechanic first. Any car that reeks of smoke will reek of smoke forever so don't buy it unless you have no sense of smell. Check out older Buicks or Pontiacs. They cost less than Japanese makes but tend to be very reliable and are cheap to repair. If you can find one a Pontiac Vibe is a good bet. And yes, don't spend more than 5k because you are not in a position to repair it since you have no income. And as the last car experience showed you, you should negotiate a user car price just as you would a new car. Owning a car is expensive though. Could you get by with public transport until you find a job? In the northeast that might be possible.
  • almaiunraie22almaiunraie22 Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Hello everyone. First I would like to say that I wish I would have known this was here years ago, probably could have saved me money long ago.

Moving on... I am looking to purchase a used car, I really want a reliable vehicle that needs minimal repairs. I have had the worst luck with cars. I now own a 2005 Chevy Equinox and have had too many issues with it and now want to get something else. I have heard a lot about Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. Everyone always says.. they last forever. What does that really mean?? How many miles is too many when you are looking to purchase a used Honda, Toyota, or Nissan?? I don't want to get a vehicle with 100,000+ miles and then have to do a bunch of repairs.

Also, of Toyota, Honda, and Nissan which is the best buy, and what models? I would like to stay with and a SUV, but can go back to a sedan. I am looking to spend $12,000 and would like to have it for at least 2 years to allow me to finish school. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Laurie
    If you want the most reliable used brand that would be Toyota! No question. I would suggest a sedan, the Toyota Camry, because it is better on gas. We bought a used Camry for our daughter with 90k on it and we sold it only because she no longer needed a car at 169k. You will have repairs with any used vehicle because parts wear out and have to be replaced, so put some money aside for that. Another good choice that is cheaper is a used Buick, Century or LeSabre. If you want a SUV I would suggest the RAV4 or a hatchback like the Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe. Make sure an independent mechanic checks out any vehicle before you buy.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,680
    edited May 2013
    There are a lot of reliable makes. Honda is certainly considered one of the best.

When I was a student I wasted a lot of time and money by buying used. I wish I had just bought a new Honda to begin with and kept it longer than the used lemons I used to own. If you have $12,000 I think you should just buy a new car instead.

Why? Because used Hondas keep their value. You might pay c. $15,000 for a 4 year old Civic LX with 50,000 miles. But you can get a brand-new 2013 Civic LX for c. $16,990 in many markets. And financing is often available.

Then, rather than having a car you need to trade or repair in a few years, you can just keep it for c. 10 reliable years and save big in the long run. Or, if you need or want to sell it sooner, it will have good resale value.

My 2 cents.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Which do you like driving better? The Avalon in particular should drive differently (e.g. softer, more isolated ride) than the other two.

If that's not important to you, all of these should be pretty reliable but the Avalon has the edge I think because 2011 was the first year for that Sonata, and 2008 the first year for that Accord. If the Certified Sonata includes extending the bumper to bumper warranty to 10 years/100k miles, that could be a big factor for you. Be sure to ask the dealer about that. At the least, the powertrain warranty should be extended to 100k miles on the Sonata as a Certified vehicle and you'd still have at least two years and 15k miles left of the b2b warranty.
    I vote wholeheartedly for 2011 Sonata SE!

Did you happen to check out any CPO Hyundai Azera models? They were introduced in 2006 as a direct competitor to the Avalon....I really like them. The less expensive models have the same V6 that was optional on the Sonata during the same years. The top-end Azera Limited had a larger 3.8L v6 with more power and it is one smooth operator!
    Why not get a new or 1 year old slightly smaller version: elantra, civic, or corolla? Is there a reason you need a midsize car? For the same money you could be in a newer and even more reliable car.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,680
    edited May 2013
    My recommend: Get a new 2013 Accord LX. It's better, stronger, faster, safer, gets higher mpg, has blue-tooth, back up camera, alloy wheels, etc., etc. All on the base model.

Crest Honda in Nashville has one for $20,292, and Honda dealers in most major metropolitan areas will get close to that.

If you buy a new Accord, it's highly likely you'll only have to do minor maintenance (oil changes, mainly) and buy one set of tires for the next 10 years & 100,000 miles. This will simplify your life and save you a lot of time, money, and headaches. You'll save in the long run imho, and have much better resale whenever you do want to get another car.

1.9% financing for 5 years is available directly from Honda.

http://www.cresthonda.com/index.htm

2013 Honda Accord LX
    2013 Honda Accord Sedan
    Engine:
    2.4L I-4 cyl
    Transmission:
    Continuously Variable
    City MPG:
    Hwy MPG:
    Ext. Color:
    Alabaster Silve…
    Int. Color: