Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    A reporter would like to speak to a new Ford Fusion buyer. If you have purchased a Fusion in October, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET Friday, 11/1/13. Bonus points if you traded out of a Toyota Camry or a Honda Accord!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Hello:
    On the lookout for an Audi with <15K (preferably < 10K) mileage. What is the best place to look? I understand (word has it) that you can get a "good" used Audi for a substantial price drop but when I look online I don't see a huge drop between new and used.
    Please provide some insight.

Thank you.
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    You'll have to look at a private party sale (Craigslist, Autotrader) to get any sizable discount. Car dealers make more money on used cars than new ones and you are unlikely to find a bargain there.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    Saw a gorgeous one in white over brown at the local Carmax but they wanted megabucks for it. Nice vehicle though!!!

The Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Hi,
    So I wanted to ask everyone their opinions or thoughts on the reliability of Audi's and the maintenance costs of them. I am looking to buy a used Audi, undecided on model, produced from 2000-2005. I have heard a lot of negative things about Audi's reliability and their extremely high maintenance costs. I really just do love the look of Audi's and so I am still exploring purchasing one. However, I was wondering if members of the forum had opinions if certain models from 2000-2005 were considered more reliable and had lower maintenance costs. Any and all opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • mah52mah52 Posts: 7
    Well, I am just one data point, but I had a 2002 Audi TT and after 4 years, just when warranty was up, I started having electrical issues. Basically, dashboard dials would wave wildly and then just shut down completely. Was more prevalent in cold weather. My mechanic told me to wait until the weather warmed up and then trade it. He said Audis are known for electrical problems, and once they show up, it is very hard to find the origin and fix them. That April, I traded it for a 2006 Lexus IS250 and never looked back. That car was perfect for 7 years, and this July I bought a new 2014 Lexus IS250. Consumer Reports only seems to cover from 2004 on, so no data there, though I will say, lots of black circles or missing data in their charts for Audis.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 924
    You might look on Autotrader or KBB as well as Edmunds as they have reviews of used cars and data about known problems.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    I love Audi's as long as they're under warranty. I drive too much to have one as a daily driver though.
  • orlemorlem Posts: 2
    I'm about to buy/lease a new car or compact SUV... preferably with good gas mileage. But for some reason I want to look for a vehicle which offers a lighter color dashboard and interior. I'm tired of those dark black or slate colored dashboard and interiors that most of the vehicles come in. Light cream, beige, tan would be a welcome change.

Are there any such vehicles which are not in the premium category?
  • The Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra, and Chevy Cruze all come to mind as they have some softer interior colors available. The Toyota Rav4 has a nice beige interior color available as well.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    The Kia Rio has a light beige/black interior available that's mostly beige on the dash, with black accents, and beige seats, with beige + black on the door panels. A bright interior. I have a Rio5 with that interior, in red, and I love that color combo.

I think the Altima has a (mostly) beige dash/interior combo available also. Gets good FE for a mid-sized car.
  • dooberguydooberguy Posts: 9

Hello, I am looking for advice for my personal situation. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I am currently driving a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe with about 117,000 miles on it. I found out about a month ago that my fiance is pregnant with our first child. I like my car and it has no mechanical issues, but it is old and I'm not sure if I can get a car seat in it. My fiance has an SUV so I wouldn't have to drive the kid much, but I want to have the ability to do so.

So my question boils down to this, should I keep the car or sell it when the baby comes? The next obvious question is if I sell it what should I buy? I would not feel comfortable spending more than $20,000 on a new or used car.

Value of my car in a trade in is probably around $5,000.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 3,160

@dooberguy said:

So my question boils down to this, should I keep the car or sell it when the baby comes? The next obvious question is if I sell it what should I buy? I would not feel comfortable spending more than $20,000 on a new or used car.

Value of my car in a trade in is probably around $5,000.

First off, congratulations on the new arrival! Very exciting times for you and the fiance.

Second, you shouldn't rush into any rash decisions, especially one as large as this. When the time comes, see if you can get a baby seat into the back of the G6. If so, then there is no reason to do anything, since the fiance has an SUV to use for family duty.

If not, then there are lots and lots of choices for you, both new and used. Poke around the site here at Edmunds and see what appeals to you. Sedan? Wagon? Small SUV? Sporty? AWD? Where do you live? How long is your commute? What's important to you? Use the answer to these questions to guide you to a particular type of car.

Most of all, keep us posted. We're all here to help.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• thebeanthebean Texas!Posts: 21

I need some help in selecting a new sedan, for purchase in the next 12 months. Currently, I drive a 2002 Honda Civic EX 4 dr (bought new), with around 85K miles. It has been my "drive to work" car and has filled that role very well. But, I want something a bit bigger and more comfortable that can be used on vacations as well as normal everyday driving. The Civic has a pretty rough ride on the road, and as I get older, I want more comfort and a better ride. My wife has a 2001 ES300 that has been great, but I need something for me. Here are the criteria I am working with:

• Will buy new, and will keep the car for probably 15 or more years

• Out the door price should be under $32K

• Good mileage (22-25 in town, 30 on highway), so probably a big 4 cyl would be best engine choice; no turbo - I don't trust the long-term reliability of turbo engines

• Cloth interior, not leather

• No sunroof, although this is not a deal breaker; I live in Texas, and the days you can open a sunroof here are few; this is money wasted for me

• Long term proven dependability/reliability history from the brand; no Hyundai's or Kia's need apply (just don't trust the engineering from them as yet)

• Auto transmission, no CVT (I don't know why the auto makers are pushing CVTs so much; I have driven automatics for 44 years and have never had a failure in one; CVTs seem to be a bit unproven for my taste; they must be cheaper than conventional automatics, hence why they are so widespread?)

• No touchscreen stuff on the dash - to me this is just another thing to fail; I don't care about Bluetooth and answering a phone through the steering wheel or anything like that; simple is better for me

I know this is a lot of criteria, which is why I have been struggling to find anything I like. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bean

• texasestexases Posts: 5,511

A Camry SE 4 cyl. would match most of your needs. I'd also say an Accord S, but it has a CVT. You might try it out, just to see how you like it.

• suydamsuydam Posts: 924

CVTs are widespread because of their fuel economy, not their cheapness. The Altima has had one for several years now and they are extremely reliable. I would check out the Altima and I think you owe the Accord a try. If you hate the 4cyl CVT they make a pretty efficient V6. Just took my 4cyl accord on a road trip and it is extremely comfortable.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,680
    edited January 12

@thebean said: I need some help in selecting a new sedan, for purchase in the next 12 months. Currently, I drive a 2002 Honda Civic EX 4 dr (bought new), with around 85K miles. It has been my "drive to work" car and has filled that role very well. But, I want something a bit bigger and more comfortable that can be used on vacations as well as normal everyday driving... Bean

Hi Bean, I think you owe it to yourself to try the Accord with the CVT. The car magazines have called it the best CVT made, because it feels somewhat similar to a regular auto. The reason people are switching to the CVT is because it gets c. 2-3 more mpg than a regular auto.

I have a 2013 Accord EXL navi, and I love it. Best car I've ever owned. I previously owned a 2002 Accord LX, and we still own our 2008 Accord EXL navi. As you can see, I love Honda Accords. They give you good reliability and very good engineering at a fair price. Built in the USA at a huge factory in Ohio, and the team members there do a very good job.

What's impressive is that the "base" Honda Accord LX has lots of stuff that were only on the high end models just a few years ago, such as dual zone climate control, bluetooth, advanced engine, etc. The new Accord has great interior room, excellent visibility, the best safety and crash ratings of any midsize car (check out the video from the insurance institute on youtube), plus the mpg will probably be about the same as your little Civic. Seriously, I don't know what kind of hwy mpg you get in your Civic, but I've been getting 34-38 in our 2013 Accord.

Since you don't want a sunroof, the LX model probably has everything you need, including an ok stereo, and it lists for $23,545. The discounts aren't quite as big on the Accord as some other midsizers like the Camry, but you should still be able to get c. $2000 off of list. Even with tax and fees, you should be c. 8000 below your budget. If you need to finance, Honda has 0.9 financing for 5 years. In other words, it's a buyer's market.

Clearly I love Hondas, but I have to say that your feelings about KIA and Hyundai are misplaced at this point. Their reliability is very close to Honda, and imho probably a little better than Ford.

For reasons of design/features/performance/safety/quality I still would go with the Honda, but there are a lot of good other choices, including the Ford Fusion, Mazda6, etc.

Good luck with your search! Hope you'll let us know if you test drive something....

Ben

Another one to check out is the Mazda6, which has a conventional 6 speed AT. I am not sure if the base model (no nav) has a touch screen, but I don't think so. You could get one of the lower-end trims with cloth and have a very nice car for under $25k.

@thebean said: I need some help in selecting a new sedan, for purchase in the next 12 months. Currently, I drive a 2002 Honda Civic EX 4 dr (bought new), with around 85K miles. It has been my "drive to work" car and has filled that role very well. But, I want something a bit bigger and more comfortable that can be used on vacations as well as normal everyday driving. The Civic has a pretty rough ride on the road, and as I get older, I want more comfort and a better ride. My wife has a 2001 ES300 that has been great, but I need something for me. Here are the criteria I am working with:

• Will buy new, and will keep the car for probably 15 or more years

• Out the door price should be under $32K

• Good mileage (22-25 in town, 30 on highway), so probably a big 4 cyl would be best engine choice; no turbo - I don't trust the long-term reliability of turbo engines

• Cloth interior, not leather

• No sunroof, although this is not a deal breaker; I live in Texas, and the days you can open a sunroof here are few; this is money wasted for me

• Long term proven dependability/reliability history from the brand; no Hyundai's or Kia's need apply (just don't trust the engineering from them as yet)

• Auto transmission, no CVT (I don't know why the auto makers are pushing CVTs so much; I have driven automatics for 44 years and have never had a failure in one; CVTs seem to be a bit unproven for my taste; they must be cheaper than conventional automatics, hence why they are so widespread?)

• No touchscreen stuff on the dash - to me this is just another thing to fail; I don't care about Bluetooth and answering a phone through the steering wheel or anything like that; simple is better for me

I know this is a lot of criteria, which is why I have been struggling to find anything I like. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bean

• thebeanthebean Texas!Posts: 21

Thanks for the suggestions. Yesterday, I went to a Toyota dealer and looked at the Camry SE. It had a touchscreen for the audio stuff, and the salesman said all Camrys have touchscreens. I went ahead and drove the SE, and the ride was better than my Civic, but still seemed a bit rough. I briefly drove an XLE and that ride was better, but not enough to make me write a check. The headroom in the XLE seemed a little tight, probably due to the sunroof, which I think can be deleted from a LE model. I guess a lot more people want the touchscreen than not. But, I'm not going to buy a car with one unless I absolutely have to.

The Mazda 6 also has a touchscreen that is standard, even on the Sport (base) model. It's discouraging to not be able to find what you want in a car, but I understand the reasoning behind putting something in either all or none of the cars built. It doesn't make me ready to buy, however

Thanks again for the suggestions, and it anyone has any more, they will be greatly appreciated.

Bean

Since you don't want a touch screen and almost all new mid-sized sedans have one these days (except some you won't consider, e.g. Sonata and Optima), one option is to buy a CPO car with low miles and extended warranty. An older design is less likely to have a touch screen, and you'll save the upfront depreciation on a new car. And it will look and drive like new with a warranty that might be longer than the new car warranty.