Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    They want to talk to consumers who were looking at a used car, but the great financing deals moved them to consider/purchase new instead. Or, they were thinking they would use the zero-financing to buy a new car, but decided a used car was a better deal right now because of a drop in the used car's price.

Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, November 16 with your story.
  • theworldizmyn Nov 9, 2001 6:39pm

If you are looking for a new car the Honda Accord 2002 SE (special edition) is a great buy since it gives you the moonroof and security system as well as some other goodies! I am not sure the price range yo are looking into but if not new most used Accords are great buys and you really can't go wrong.
  • The 2002 Accord SE is a great choice. Heck of a car. Lots of EX features without the EX price. But, he said he was looking at used--price is probably too high.
  • I'm looking to replace my 1990 Toyota Camry (great car!) very soon. I'm looking at a 1997 Honda Accord LX (4 door,power,A/C,65K miles) that is in excellent shape both inside and out. The dealer printed out a Carfax report for me and everything checked out fine. It's had two local owners. My question is, it was listed at $12,900 (which is obviously inflated), I got them down to $11,200 (the dealer put $1200.00 into the car when it was traded in - timing belt, serpentine belt, tires, complete tune up, etc.), is this a good deal? According to KBB and Edmunds, the 1997 Accord is a great car (besides my wife had a 1989 Accord LXi that gave her years of trouble free driving!). Thank you!
  • I recall that there was nothing wrong with those Audis. All those sudden acceleration problems were driver error, hitting the accelerator instead of the brake pedal.

Yes, but that's only half the story: the driver error was "caused" by the human engineering of the floor pedal layout. In a nutshell, the pedals were too far to the left, so the gas pedal was effectively "center", instead of being tucked up to the right as we find on most cars. A quick stomp straight down with the right foot looking for the brake...missed.

Reportedly, Detroit had the same exact problem back in the 1950's.

-hh
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    I thought the Audi pedal layout was just the European style of having similarly sized gas and brake pedals, while the North American style had been the wide fat brake pedal in the centre and small accelerator to the right. I drove late 70's and early 80's manual tranny Volvos almost exclusively for the first years I was driving and found the big fat brake pedal of the Detroit auto makers to be awkward. I never drove an Audi in those days so you could be right about the position being too far left for the throttle.

That fat pedal was there for emergency two footed braking, right? Grab onto the steering wheel with both hands and stomp the brake pedal with both feet to use the 'mighty' stopping power of 4-wheel drum brakes. Thankfully, cars have improved A LOT since then...
  • Hi all,

The lease on my 1999 Accord EX V6 coupe is ending in February and I'm looking at getting a new sedan in the $20-22K price range. I'm considering a Civic EX sedan or a Jetta GLS 1.8 Turbo, w/AT. Aside from being a new sedan in the price range, other things that are important are reliability, quality, and a car that holds its value well - like a Honda. I owned a civic coupe ('98-recently traded for a Jeep Liberty for my husband) and really liked driving the Civic, but I am worried that the sedan will be too small. Are there any other cars I should consider? Any opinions on the two cars I'm currently thinking about? Thanks!
    Cyndi
  • If those are your 2 choices, get the Civic EX and pocket the difference. I would personally get the Jetta, but since you stress the things Hondas are known for, it sounds like you want the Honda. You mention the small size--Jettas are really small. If you compare the numbers, it's smaller than a Nissan Sentra!
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    If you compare the interior measurements, the Civic is comparable, if not superior, to many bigger sedans in terms of passenger room. The TL, Legacy and the Maxima come to mind. It would certainly be roomier than your current Accord coupe. However, after driving the Accord, you may find other aspects of the Civic unacceptable, such as noise levels, power, effectiveness of the HVAC system, quality of interior material, etc.
  • can someone help me. a used avalon xls 1999 w/
    30,000 miles vs. a new honda lx 4 cyl. Both
    are about $17,000. New vs. higher end used.
    Any opinions?
  • If it were me, I'd get the Accord. It's new so you'll get new car financing, new car warranty, new car smell--and you don't have to worry about how the first guy who owned it treated it. That being said, if you have 3 kids and require more room, Consumer Reports says that model Avalon should be fine.
  • Your are exactly correct on brake/ accelerator pedal placement. Some Detroit cars had problem in the 60's not 50's.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,232
    If it were me, Avalon easily. You'll have to drive them both if you haven't yet. If you're concerned about mpg then the Honda will do better. The Avalon has 5 year, 60K miles powertrain warranty.

Awfully different cars to pick from IMHO. The Honda is a bit smaller, wind up 4 banger, and basic options. An Avalon XLS should have alot of luxury options and a smooth/powerful V6. All comes down to which one YOU like better because you really can't go wrong with either one.
  • I'm looking into buying a new family sedan in the near luxury class. Been looking at (1) Acura TL 3.2 (not type S), (2) 02 Maxima GLE, (3) 02 Camry XLE, and (4) 02 Accord EX, V-6. I'll likely keep the car long-term, but am concerned about depreciation costs. Comparatively equipped the first three are about in the same price range, with the 4th (Honda) coming in about $4k less. Max and Honda offer better financing. I've driven all four, and am having a hard time making a decision. Anyone have any long-term ownership experience with these cars that could offer advice on long-term value?

Thanks!
  • Trying to choose between Avalon / Volvo S60 / Infinity I35 /Accord ex v6 or ?. I am toting around a 1 & 3 year old and I am not a meticulous interior cleaner. I want a luxury sedan that is roomy enough for 2 child seats and well made leather interior w/o cheaply assembled parts. Which would be the best choice?
    IF you looking at family sedans, key word being family, then I would go for the Camry XLE. The Acura and Nissan look sharper and will out-perform it, but the Camry will be comfortable, roomier, reliable and will hold up its value well. Plus it is the only one of the 4 that has side airbags and head curtains. This is a big plus if your priority is "family". The Accord is good value and still a decent ride, but if your budget allows it, I would look at the Camry ahead of the Accord.
    Since your subject line says "luxury sedan", I would rule out the Accord because it is simply not in the class of the other 3. I would also rule out the Volvo because I think recent Volvo products have not been reliable. I really like the I35 in terms of styling and performance. The Toyota looks very very conservative if not somewhat dorky, but it is roomy and may be more suited to a being a mom-mobile.
  • Hey, the camry is a good car. Its the most frequent stolen one, so it must be good
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    Read this from the HNTSA regarding kids and side airbags:

http://www.nhtsa.com/nhtsa/announce/press/1999/ca101499.html

The article is 2 years old but it is the most recent thing on the NHTSA's web site regarding kids and side-impact airbags so it appears that they still don't know how safe they are for the littles ones. I don't know if head curtains alone are in the same boat.

If you need to place one of more of your kids in the outer rear seats, then it looks like rear side-airbags may not be a safety improvement for them.

• rx7r1rx7r1 Posts: 17
    Hey all,

I'm looking for a V8-powered American sedan with RWD to pull a trailered '93 Mazda Rx7 R1 sports car, along with accessories for racing (tire racks, tools, etc.). My guess is that the sedan would need a towing capacity of 3500 lbs to be on the safe side.

Anyone have any recommendations? My thoughts were the Ford Crown Vic and Chevy Impala SS/Caprice. I'm looking at used, not new.

I'd prefer a sedan, since the pull vehicle would also double as a family hauler, and I HATE pick-up trucks and SFVs (sport futility vehicles)!
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    The RWD Cadillac's (Fleetwoods) were good for towing with a 5.7 L (350 cu in) V8. Same engine as Chevy and the Buick Roadmaster also had this engine. I am not sure if there were towing options to be had from factory, which on a used car will be difficult to tell anyway. The caddys capacity was like 7000 lbs (or more?).
    Sorry, what year of Fleetwood are we talking here? 7000 lbs capacity is more than enough!
    They don't make them now, but I was thinking 94-whenever they quit. Anyway a 94-95 model is old enough to be affordable and perhaps not too many miles. I have the 94 catalog (at home) which I can checkout details. This had a detuned vette engine-port fuel injection, gobs of torque.

Checkout edmunds used car guide. They show this was still made in 96 and price is around 10000. There was a towing pkg, which would be needed for the 7000 lbs. Package probably added extra cooling.

Older than 94 gets you a different set of engines-avoid these.

The roadmaster is good in the same time frame (1994-1996) and there were wagons. If you could find one with the towing pkg, then you can tow a lot.
    fjk57702--ok, I'll admit, I'm a car enthusiast...the thought of driving a Buick Roadmaster or Cadillac Fleetwood doesn't really appeal to me, eventhough it's probably better than a truck or SFV.

I think my choice for a pull-vehicle that will double as a big comfy sporty cruiser would be the '95/'96 Chevy Impala SS. I like the black ones. Chevy's 5.7-L 260-hp, 330-lb.ft torque V8, should be enough to pull 3500 lbs of race car, trailer, and accessories. Anyone out there know if the Impala SS is capable to pulling 3500 lbs safely??
  • jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    ...I am in my (late) thirties. Is WRX difficult to live with?
  • I can't say how easy they are to live with because I have not driven one, but Car & Driver chose the WRX over BMW and Audi a couple of months ago--give it a try!
    Have you found our discussion about theSubaru Impreza WRX? If you are interested, just follow that link.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • I am looking at purchasing an American made sedan.
    Had looked and driven several others, Passat, Camry, Altima and Maxima. I realize the cars I have driven our very reliable, more then American, but I like the idea of 0% financing and have had fairly good luck with my current Intrepid and previuos cars. I also purchased a firebird with the low financing 2.9. Had pretty good luck with it.

I have narrowed the field somewhat, looking at Olds. Alero or Intrigue. Sebring.

Please if anyone has any advice, or experience with these or other mid-size sedans your input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    The impala ss is a good choice as it comes with the higher performance axle ratio and extra cooling. But these are limited production cars. A Caprice with the 5.7 engine also gets an upgraded pkg which should help for towing. With towing pkg the Chevys should both tow as much as the caddy (7000 lbs). Without a heavy duty cooling pkg, towing a lighter load should still work.
    It's Town Hall policy - thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board