Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

Comments

• Thanks for the comments. I have never found a Toyota that fits me as a driver, except trucks. I have a 2011 Tacoma regular cab. My wife has a 2010 Honda Element. The Venza is a little bigger than I want. I am short. The problem with larger cars in general is that they have larger seats, and the seat bottom is too long, hitting the back of my knee. So driving them is tiring. As Kirstie said, getting service for a Volvo would be hard. Also, I would like four doors.

The earliest I would be buying will be next year. So I have plenty of time. A friend has the Fit. I measured the cargo space & it's about the same as the Kia Spectra5 that I bought in 2005. My son is driving that now.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,694
    There's a big difference in cargo capacity between the Fit and the Spectra5, because the Fit has a lower load floor than the Spectra5. If you've never opened up the back of a Fit with all seats down you'll be amazed how much room it has, for bikes etc.

Have you looked at the Prius v? Lots of cargo room, and great fuel economy.
  • salliersallier Posts: 16
    Woman in 60's who has owned everything from Audi Fox, 1978 BMW 530, 1988 Acura Legend,
    (Infinity I30t - way too "lady's garden club" car for me);2003 Murano wants fun-to-drive wagon. Felt too crammed in VW Jetta Wagon, too expensiveCaddy wagon, too underpowered Acura SportWagon. Subaru doesn't fit the "fun-to-drive" quotient. Looked at Mazda C-7 which is being scrubbed; if I'm going "compact" for cargo really would prefer wagon. ANY ideas would be appreciated!!!

(From the sound of things my ideal car would probably be an Audi A6 Avent but - too expensive as upkeep probably also would be. Besides which don't think they're being imported any more!)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    We don't want to chase you off, as you're completely welcome here, but this discussion is on our Sedans board and designed for those seeking sedan-purchasing advice. There's a similar discussion on our Wagons board, so you might want to hop over there too:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.eea4e16/699

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Because I had put "wagon" in title, moderator was sending me to Wagon Forums - BUT - it hasn't
    had a post since Oct, 2010!!! Besides I've noted trucks & crossovers have been mentioned
    in responses in this Forum. Thanks for any help I can get!
    Well, our Host did say "too" at the end, so...

How about the new CX-5? Supposed to be lots of fun to drive, albeit not the quickest SUV out there, but arguably the best handling small SUV/wagon. And great fuel economy for an SUV to boot!
    Thanks, Backy, for your re Mazda CX-5. After reading C&D reveiw looks as tho acceleration pretty slow even if responsive steering/handling good. Also read review 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe looked good with
    turbo-I've not driven a 4-cyl car in many a year (don;t know yet what longer wheel based, 6 cyl one would be like)
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,373
    Sportage with the turbo?

RDX?

Not many traditional wagons left.
    Thanks, tifighter, for your suggestions tho am not sure I'm in agreement with
    them. Seems to be mixed opinions on the turbo - too much heat being the issue.
    Hmmm on the RDX - tho it's the new "in" thing, it felt a bit "squishy" (i.e. Lexified)
    to me. Having been a previous Acura owner (1988 Legend that I liked), I wouldn't
    mind owning another Acura car - if only the SportWagon had more power!

Your last sentence sums up my big problem!! (Not everybody wants a CUV/SUV)
    edited August 2012
    the first gen RDX was anything but squishy and was not slow; maybe you can find a leftover 12 or CPO out there. Reliability for the turbo has been excellent (check consumer reports, etc.) Too early to say on the Sportage.

As far as wagons go, you looked at the CTS and TSX. There's the Outback/Venza/Crosstour class, all with available V6. The other options are the Euro wagons (Audi allroad, new BMW 3 next year, MB E, and the Volvo XC70). Bring your wallet.
    tifighter - once again thanks! It seems I'm sorely "out-of-market" - tho will
    look up Crosstour & test drive 012 RDX. Maybe if I got a good enuf deal on the
    latter, it can be interim. Really don't want AWD (fwd should be good enuf
    for KY winters) but maybe for resale I'd better for AWD - do you have an opinion
    on this? (Usually am admirer of Audi, but upkeep $ scares me!) Much appreciation to you!
    I think 2010 and later RDX was available in FWD and AWD, so you have the option either way. The Crosstour I think offered both as well, starting with the 12 model year. Both are going to feel quicker than the base TSX.
  • mah52mah52 Posts: 7
    I want a small, AWD sedan. I currently have a 2006 Lexus IS 250 AWD and love it, but feel silly just buying the same car again--not much has changed. So, I am looking at IS250, Infiniti G37 (would go G35, but they don't have the navigation option), Mercedes C sport sedan with 4Matic, or Acura TL. Would appreciate your thoughts.
    edited August 2012
    If you don't mind saving some money, and the loss of some oomph, take a look at the Impreza (high-end trim of course).

For more bucks, there's always the 3 Series with AWD and the A4 Quattro.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    What are some of the things you like about a car? I assume the AWD is a must have?

The Mercedes is the closest in size to the IS but I've never been real impressed with them. Marginal performance/economy, high upkeep, etc. It seems you keep your cars for awhile so I would rule that one out.

The TL and G37 are quite a bit bigger and better performing than what you're used to. This is why I asked what you like because if performance isn't high on your list there may be some non-luxury brands that would live up to your expectations.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    I highly recommend taking a look at the 2013 Volvo S60 T5 AWD 4-door. It has excellent reviews (even Consumer Reports loves it), and it comes with 5yrs/50,000-miles of Warranty, Wear & Tear and Scheduled Maintenance Coverage standard. It also has the most comfortable seats of any car in the class...
  • mah52mah52 Posts: 7
    Thanks for this advice, agozoomzoom. I will take a look at the Volvo you suggested.
    Good suggestion on the Volvo.

If it were me with that list, It would be TL, S60, maybe G37. I see so many of the Germans here in the bay area that I just couldn't do it. The TL is a goofy car, but the reviews of the SH-AWD model are uniformly good, especially the manual, which would make it worth a test drive to me. Shoot, I might even test drive a Taurus SHO too, as a total wild card.
  • What is wrong with a Camry LE? It is well equipped and you might find a discounted one at the end of the year. It will last forever and rides well. It is comfortable on the road. You could even look for a 2011 or 12 used one and get an extended warranty. If you are going to keep the car for 10 years or more I would check the Consumer Reports dependability ratings for whatever car you decide on. There used to be a base model of the Camry under the LE. You would have to check.
    What's wrong with the Camry LE? First, it's not a hatchback and the OP said she wants a hatchback. Second, it's not fun to drive with tight steering, another requirement.

For a family sedan, it's a good choice... especially the 2012+ which is an improvement over the previous generation. But not for a fun-to-drive hatchback.
  • Must have - AWD, small sedan (but would consider coupe), built-in navigation system (this rules out the Volvo S60), and prefer Japanese. Had an Audi TT before my current car and their noted electrical issues emerged right after warranty expired, so I am soured on them.

Would also like some of the newer conveniences like parking assist.
    I think you've narrowed it down pretty well. Keep in mind the Infinti and Acura are both quite a bit bigger than what you're used to. Obviously there are a few others options...BMW 3 series and Cadillac ATS. They have AWD and lots of features. I'd trust keeping either of them longer than an Audi or MB. What about a Hatch? On the low-end and a total wild card is the Nissan Juke. Love-it/Hate-it styling but cool little cars with AWD. Mini also has an AWD hatch (Clubman) that's cool, small, but might be quirky on the reliability side.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    I did some research on which S60 models are available with in-dash navigation. The 2012 S60 T6 AWD offers it as an option. The 2013 S60 T5 AWD "Platinum" includes integrated NAV standard.

The 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD is also worth a look, even though it doesn't wear a 'premium' nameplate. It looks more upscale than most of the models we've been discussing. It also has most of the newest safety features.

The Titanium has a Rear View Camera and Rear Sensing System standard. Voice-activated Navigation is a $795 option.

Driver Assist Package - $1000

Blind Spot Information Systme w/ Cross-Traffic Alert
    Lane Departure Warning & Lane-Keeping System
    Automatic High Beams
    Rain-sensing wipers

Adaptive Cruise Control - $995
    with Collision Warning System & Automatic Braking Assist

Active Park Assist w/ Forward Sensing System- $795

It has the 2.0L EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine, 240hp and gets 22mpg city and 33mpg highway.

With all the available features (except Active Park Assist), it stickers for just over $37k. But with current incentives, it would sell for $35k or less.

Here's a link- 2013 Ford Fusion
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 227
    $37k for a ford fusion? $37k for a ford fusion? I would tell you the same think I told my neighbor who bought a $21k chevy aveo - the only thing you could put on a chevy aveo to make it worth $21k is another chevy aveo. I think the same would just about go for the fusion. We recently took a trip and rented a fusion. An okay car (yes, just a rental), but after having driven one for 10 days, I cannot imagine ANY reason to pay $37k for a fusion!
  • Tx. Will definitely look at S60, but Ford is not for me.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    A reporter seeks to interview anyone who recently considered or bought a new Chevy Malibu. Please email PR@edmunds.com before Friday, September 14, 2012 if you are willing to share your thoughts on the car.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• pallotawpallotaw Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    Okay this is the type of car i'm looking for, i need to know if it exists. It must have all of the following:

1. 2-5 Doors
    2. 4-5 Seats
    3. Hatchback or coupe or sedan
    4. RWD
    5. Good MPG
    6. Unleaded/Regular Gasoline

Please help! :confuse:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,029
    Number 4 is going to limit your choices...

Numbers 5/6 should be merged... If a car gets 30 mpg on premium fuel, that's cheaper than 27 mpg on regular.... so, restricting your choices to regular fuel only might be a false economy..

Most RWD cars are upscale...so, almost all will use premium...

If a sporty coupe is okay, there is the Hyundai Genesis coupe, Scion FR-S or Subaru BR-Z. Though, seating for four in any of those would be marginal..

The BMW X1 is basically a 5-door hatchback.... the cheapest model comes in RWD only... of course, premium fuel..

Porsche 911 coupe has back seats... :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I assume you're looking for new. #5 can be quite subjective....but a couple that come to mind and meet the criteria in my book:

Dodge Charger SXT. Actually a really nice car 19city/31hwy

Mustang V6 rated 19/31 also very well put together for 2012.

Camaro V6 rated 19/30. Aging a bit but if fits the criteria.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    You left out a price range. Do you have one in mind?

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews