Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,571
    edited September 2013
    I moved your other post here:

klt82, "Honda Civic Cooling Problems" #48, 18 Sep 2013 6:14 am

Good luck with it!

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Alright all:

I ended up purchasing a 2002 Acura TL with 106k miles for $6,000. It had the timing belt and water pump replaced at 90k and I had him replace the struts and shocks as well as the front motor mount before I agreed to the purchase (per mechanical inspection). In addition to the ABS and Side air it has a lot of amenities that I've never had in a vehicle before and is in near mint condition.

It wasn't what I started out looking for but I found that if I wanted side air bags and ABS I'd have to pay at least 30% more than I really wanted to.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    Pretty nice car ace - we had one and loved it.

Bill G
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 1,013
    Congratulations! Hope you love it!
  • How many transmissions did you go through, Bill?
    As I recall, Honda did have some major transmission problems with those vehicles. The original transmission in our vehicle did fail and was replaced under warranty. The replacement transmission performed flawlessly and we had no more problems. Other than the transmission issue, we loved the car.

Are you able to determine if the car you bought had the transmission issue? From what I remember, not all did.

Bill
  • I'm currently in the process of sorting through all that right now but, I may end up NOT being the new owner of an old Acura.

I left the gentleman yesterday with a handshake agreement that if he got the struts and shocks & motor mount replaced, I'd pick it up Friday morning. At the beginning of the process he told me that the car had been into the dealership on a recall inspection and that they told him the transmission was not problematic. When I came home yesterday I started looking more into the transmission issues and realized just how severe they were so I made a few calls to the dealerships around here, checking the Vehicles vin history and I haven't gotten anything near a satisfying answer with regards to the transmission issue. I've told the gentleman he'll need to supply papers that confirm that his claim that the transmission is a non-issue is true. He sort of claims that he lost the papers and gave me a small run around when I told him that he should just contact the dealership.

Anyways, I am sort of feeling bad because I did, without FULLY researching (but on his word) agree that if he had the strut/shock/mount work performed, I'd purchase the vehicle. He says it's in the shop right now and that he was going to pay the mechanic with the money I would end up paying him for the vehicle, and it seems as though I may be backing out of the transaction. Should I feel bad about this? Clearly I'm not obligated to buy the car, but I didn't necessarily make my purchase contingent on him showing me that paperwork -- but now suddenly I am. I feel like, as an act of good faith, I may be (sort of) obligated to compensate him in some small way for the work he is having done for me.

Thoughts on this?
    What kind of transmission issues are we talking about? If you are speaking of that model Acura in general, I don't think that would figure in as long as that particular vehicle's transmission checks out fine. Back in the day, some Honda Odyssey owners had repeated troubles with their transmissions while many owners experienced no problems at all. Do you have reason to believe that this particular vehicle has had transmission problems that were not disclosed to you? In that case you are under no obligation to purchase.
  • acemanhattanacemanhattan Posts: 79
    edited September 2013
    It seems that the 2001 Acura TL had a really high rate of failure in the transmission and that a recall was issued. I've been told by a lot of people that if you are driving on the original transmission, you are a ticking time bomb.

He told me that the dealer said his car doesn't need a new transmission, but I couldn't confirm that in conversation with the dealers. In addition the recall was issued 5 year before he became the owner so I have a hard time believing that he received any mail from the dealer asking him to come in to inspect the issue (he claims this is the case). Part of the problem is that we have a bit of a language barrier to cross. He admitted he can't read English very well. I believe he could have very easily gotten a letter from the dealership that said "hey, it's time for your transmission servicing" and he would have just understood that to mean they were inspecting the transmission to see if it was impacted by the recall when, in fact, all they were doing was draining the transmission fluid etc.

The exact recall verbiage is as follows:

Recall Date:
    APR 15, 2004
    Model Affected:
    2002 Acura TL
    Summary:
    ON SOME MINI VANS, SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES, CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS CAN RESULT IN HEAT BUILD-UP BETWEEN THE COUNTERSHAFT AND SECONDARY SHAFT SECOND GEARS IN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, EVENTUALLY LEADING TO GEAR TOOTH CHIPPING OR GEAR BREAKAGE.
    Consequences:
    GEAR FAILURE COULD RESULT IN TRANSMISSION LOCKUP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    ON VEHICLES WITH 15,000 MILES OR LESS, THE DEALER WILL UPDATE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A SIMPLE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE TO INCREASE LUBRICATION TO THE SECOND GEAR. ON VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 15,000 MILES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION TO IDENTIFY GEARS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED DISCOLORATION DUE TO OVERHEATING. IF DISCOLORATION EXISTS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE REPLACED IF DISCOLORATION IS NOT PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 21, 2004, FOR PILOT, ODYSSEY, AND MDX OWNERS. OWNERS OF THE ACCORD VEHICLES WILL START RECEIVING LETTERS ON JUNE 28, 2004, AND ON JUNE 29, 2004, FOR OWNERS OF THE TL AND CL VEHICLES. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.
    Potential Units Affected:
    Notes:
    HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
    Call Honda and see if yours is one of the affected TLs (the recall says "on some"). If so, can a service department tell if the recall servicing has been done?

My son bought a Buick LeSabre that had a very large recall for something involving the manifold (I'm not even sure what that is!). We contacted Buick before we bought it, and discovered that that vehicle was not among the affected ones. Ten years later he's still driving it.
  • I found out that in 2006, when the vehicle had 42k miles, the revision to the oil cooler return line was made. This means that they assessed the problem and then decided that a transmission replacement wasn't necessary. This is good news. The bad news is that there are instances of people who had this revision done still ending up with a failing transmission. I am not sure how often this occurred, I just know that it has.
    Ace - can the seller provide documentation showing required regular transmission fluid service on the car - like at least every 30k miles? This is key to the transmission achieving long life. If he had his maintenance done at a Honda or Acura dealer, it might be in their system. Keep in mind, with any vehicle that has this much mileage, how long major components will hold up is anyone's guess.

Bill
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I have a deceased friend who died in one of these when it "locked up" on the freeway and caused a bad crash. This was many years ago, when Honda still disavowed any defect in their cars, because "it just couldn't happen to Honda! We're perfect in every way."

The recall came out later, finally exonerating my friend from "driver's error". She didn't sue - she was dead.

My point is: Honda is overrated. They're good, but not always the best, and not perfect. The make a great small engine though.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,785
  • mehismehis Posts: 1
    Hi everyone who has sent a post to on this site, can somebody answer my question here ? Since everybody has complained about(Toyota, Honda, Nissan,Ford,BMW , now which car would somebody advise me to buy now. Any help will be appreciated.
  • I own a Nissan Altima and I would never go back to what I used to buy which was Ford. The problem is that the most of the people that write on this sight are the people that have a problem with the type of vehicle they have. You do not see the good stuff all that often. My Nissan is 2008 and I absolutely love it. My next car will definitely be a Nissan! I have 2 friends and a family member that have Nissans and they won't buy anything but Nissan. I have numerous friends and family members that own Toyota and they only buy Toyota because of their great experiences with them. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • mlmcgaheemlmcgahee Posts: 102
    I completely agree with brendapi. I have a 2010 Altima Coupe with 62000 miles on it and I have had Zero problems with it. My gf bought a 2012 Altima sedan a year ago and she loves it. Great car... Great gas mileage...

Mike
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 7,252
    Helldo mehis.

Every manufacturer and model has its proponents and detractors. Your best bet is to do some basic research here at Edmunds, then go out and test drive 3-5 cars that interest you.

What's important? Gas mileage, ride comfort, info-tainment? Use that criteria to narrow down your choices.

What are you driving now? Do you like it?

My best friends sister recently needed to buy a new car. She drove a Mazda Protégé for 10 years and 220K miles, and they asked me for advice. I figured that since she loved her Mazda so much she would go out and buy a Mazda 3.

Nope - she ended up getting a 2011 Toyota Camry XLE V6.

We're all here to help .. give us some since of what you're looking for and why and the opinions will come fast and heavy, I guarantee.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    I would never rule out an entire brand, out of hand. I've owned all of those you listed plus many more. I decide what car to buy (or lease) based on my specific criteria at that time. Whatever car fits the criteria best for the lowest cost, I'll get. Right now I own or lease two Hyundais, a Kia, and a Mazda. But my next car may not be from any one of those brands.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,737
    We now have in our stable a Mazda, a Nissan, a Honda and a Hyundai and they are all excellent vehicles. We've owned numerous Toyota's, had a Buick, Oldsmobile and an Isuzu and the Isuzu was garbage but we liked all the rest! Go do your research, test drive and make a qualified decision...all your information is out there. Good luck!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,599
    Current: Benz, Ford, Chrysler, Volvo, Nissan.

Past:
    AMC
    Alfa
    BMW
    Dodge
    Honda
    Inifiniti
    Mazda
    Mercury
    Land Rover
    Lincoln
    Saab
    Subaru
    Toyota
    VW

Grew to hate my Honda, the Land Rover never made it on the road (project vehicle that never took off), we weren't terribly fond of the Subaru, and my 135i was a problem child. Other than that, all good stuff.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• Hey all,

I am coming off a lease on a 2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S Sedan. I just hit 31K miles on it and it's in pretty good condition. I am considering purchasing it since the set purchase price is decent (around 12.5K, KBB value is around 13.3K), the mileage is low, and I know where it's been the whole time :).

What are your thoughts? How does the Altima hold up over time? What are the maintenance costs like as the car ages? I'd plan on keeping it for the next 4-5 years. I have a longer commute nowadays so I am probably looking at 12-15K miles a year of usage. To be truthful, the car has been great but I am not particularly attached to it and would rather get into something like a small SUV (Rogue, Forrester, CR-V, Escape). But of course, I don't want to lose out on what seems like a good value on this car.

Thoughts, opinions, reality-checks are much appreciated.

Best,
    JG
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    Unless you really need an SUV, keep the Altima. I've driven the Rogue. It's based on the old Sentra. I think you'll find it a come-down from the Altima. The others are nicer, but will cost a lot more than $12.5k if you buy new.

One thing you might do is check with Nissan re special deals as you come off lease. I had a Sentra that came off lease this past summer, and Nissan was offering me 4 months waived payments, money towards wear & tear, and cash incentives to buy or lease a new Nissan. Leases are really good on the new Altima, or you could see what they would do on a Rogue or even a Murano if you want to go the SUV route.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,599
    Its definitely a fair purchase price. Seems they hit the nail on the head with the residual. That would probably get you right around $10k as a trade-in, $11k dealer auction, and $13k-14k retail.

If you like it, I'd say keep it. At 31k miles, its just broken in.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    I'm going to echo the other 2 members who've said to buy it.
    Even if you're not totally in love with it, it hasn't made you despise it. If you've got your eye on an SUV, your best bet would be to buy this (since it's at a lower price than you could likely find the same vehicle for on a dealer's lot), pay it off as quickly as you can, and then trade it in on an SUV. It'll make a nice downpayment.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Thanks all. I appreciate the perspective.

Backy - I wasn't a fan of the Rogue when I test drove it and chose the Altima over it so I think you're right that it would feel like a step down.

Qbrozen and Kirstie, it does seem like buying it is the way to go. My other option would be to try to find a used CRV or Forester but it seems that those cars are a few K above the price my Altima, have higher mileage, and have the uncertainty of unknown previous owners. Does anyone know what the avg. yearly depreciation on a vehicle like the Altima is past year 3? 10%?15%?

Thanks
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    Q might be able to answer more directly, but you can check our True Cost to Own tool. It lists all of the costs, but breaks them out so you can see depreciation. Since your vehicle isn't at the 5-year mark, years 4 & 5 are estimated. If you want to look at more historical data, you can choose an earlier model year, though the depreciation is going to change based on other factors present for that particular model year (desirability, body style, etc.)
    http://www.edmunds.com/tco.html

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• evolk1evolk1 Posts: 11
    edited October 2013
    I just sent my always reliable 1997 CV to the junkyard, a victim of underbody rust. Got 280,000 miles out of the 'ol girl.

I use it for getting to sales calls only....no entertaining or clients or prospects ever are in the car.

I now have a choice to make

1.) A 1999 CV with 106k miles on it. A friend of a friend inherited it from her recently deceased Dad, who bought it new and most likely was garaged all the time. Lived in Florida until 2010 until he moved in with her family here in Indiana. No body damage, base pkg, white with grey cloth interior. No idea if the plastic intake manifold top was replaced during the recall, but I'd guess it was since seniors usually jump on that stuff right away. No idea on the transmission. Probably get it for around $2,200.

-or-.

2.) A 2004 Crown Vic with all leather interior and 139,000 miles on it. Some nicks and scratches, mainly cosmetic. Had a mild collision that popped the air bag sensor but not the airbag itself. Airbag sensor has been replaced. Rear rotors are warped, as the car surges straight when braking. Mild smoker smell, but not bad and doesn't cause any residual odor in one's clothes. Has a non-oem stereo replacement that doesn't quite fill in the space left my the original. I can get it for $3,000 from a friend who has a wholesale license and bought it at the auction here in Indy. He says he can get $4,500 for it at retail, but I'm helping him out work wise with some extra training, so he'll let me have it for $3k. I trust him btw.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    I'd take the '99. Known history, lower miles, and no significant changes from '99 to '04 that would be a "gotta have" in my book. I sold one recently that belonged to a deceased relative and it was in pretty poor condition with 140k miles. Got $2k for it the day it was listed so I think that one sounds like a great deal.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,571
    A reporter is interested in speaking with a car buyer who recently purchased a new sedan, but did not consider any of the German brands (such as Volkswagen) during the shopping process. If you can assist, please contact pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, October 23 2013.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.