Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• Options
    wunderkidwunderkid Member Posts: 14
    How about the new Audi A3 2.0T? You could get 200HP, Open Sky, leather, power seat, etc. for 3K or less.
  • Options
    dunvarnadunvarna Member Posts: 2
    Ok. Looking to buy one of the three. camry, accord, or Jetta.? Any opinions or input would be appreciated. I like the Camry's ride. My wife likes the way the jetta "handles". Camry's bigger inside.Jetta seems to have a more modern/techie interior(which I like) Am test driving the accord this week. If you own one of these models. Let me know the bugs you guys are having. the jetta seems overpriced compared to the camry IMO. but go figure. Oh well thanks in advance for taking time out to type a reply.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Have you considered the Mazda6?

Meade
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Hey, Wunderkid, it's great to get involved in these forums, but your post to bluewolf is about 4 years later. I expect blue made his selection already.
  • Options
    Another poster mentioned the Mazda6, and I'd agree that that's worth a look. Before offering my opinion on the other cars, let me tell you my experience: I drive a TL, which is based on the v6 Accord; my grandma has a 4 cyl Camry that I've driven some, and my last car was a Passat, which is a larger version of the Jetta. I'm not familiar with the redesigned Jettas, so consider what I say in that light. I test drove a Mazda6, 6 cyl once.

Of the cars you mentioned, I expect the Jetta will have the nicest interior. Of course, you'll pay for that, but if near-luxury is what your looking at, the Jetta may fit the bill. The old Jetta would've been the sportiest of the bunch, but I think the Jetta's increased size leave the Accord as the sportiest of the bunch (if you look at the Mazda6, then the Accord is 2nd sportiest).

It's tough for me to talk "sport" b/c you don't mention whether you want a 4 cyl or 6, but I can tell you the Accord and Mazda probably have much better handling than the camry.

If you wanted a top-of-the-line car, I'd say the Honda v6 w/ leather and nav would be the best combo of luxury and sport. It'll accellerate very well, handle well and have a great navigation system with voice recognition that's really cool.

I think the camry will be the most comfortable and have the best resale. Re luxury, I think it'd be more luxurious than the Accord and Mazdo, maybe tied or just below the Jetta.

Just 'cause I'm enjoying thinking about this, here's a few rankings:

MOST LUXURY TO LEAST:
    1. Jetta; 2. Camry; 3. Accord; 4. Mazda6

MOST SPORTY TO LEAST
    1. Mazda6; 2. Accord; 3. Jetta; 4. Camry

MOST COMFORTABLE RIDE TO LEAST
    just reverse the order under "SPORTY"

Hope this helps!!!
  • Options
    knr5knr5 Member Posts: 85
    I currently lease a 2003.5 G35 (6MT) that is coming off a 39 month lease in about 9 months. I thought I will get opinions early!:)

While I love my G, and seriously considered buying it at the end of the lease, I have a strong variety seeking streak. I am thinking primarily of the 2006 Acura TL (I know it is FWD but torque steer has apparently been reduced) and the BMW 330i. Other cars I could consider are the Audi A4 3.0, the Mercedes C class (3.5), Volvo S60R and even, perhaps, the Saab 9-3. Of course, I will only consider manual transmission cars. My primary use of the car is for personal transportation to work (short commute), occasional long distance travel with family (usually 4 of us), and infrequent banzai runs on the back roads to clear the cobwebs!:)

I would appreciate your opinion on the best car for me. Thank you all very much.
  • Options
    kaitai69kaitai69 Member Posts: 4
    knr5,

I can only speak to the S60R as that was a close choice for me before picking up my G35 6MT coupe. I really liked the 'Vader' as I called it, black on black on black. It was a very nice driving car. It can be smooth and it can handle very well for a sedan. I do know they were VERY willing to deal, I think I recall about a 38k price if I were to lease it. It had every gadget in the book and for me it was a tough choice. In the end it came to number of doors, we have a 05 Murano and we wanted this car to be the "fun" car. If it were just myself, I think I would have picked the Volvo. I just loved the sleeper aspect and the dealer was a hoot.

All I can say is have some fun and go drive some cars!!
  • Options
    I have an '04 TL 6MT w/ summer tires and love it!!! With respect to your comment that they fixed the torque steer in '06, from what I understand, the put something on the car that reduces the power to the wheels when torque steer is sensed. Frankly, it sounds similar to traction control - how it reduces accelleration to help the wheels catch.
    I view this as a negative - if you want to avoid torque, you can simply accellerate more slowly.

I do love the car, and my torque issues were significantly reduced when I put on new tires. Apparently, good traction on the tires reduces the pull tot he side. Anyway, 1 last comment on the TLs torque - I only notice it when trying to accellerate as fast as possible from a dead stop. I don't notice it on downshifts, curves or anything else while the car is alreadymoving.

Re the Volvo S60R, I wish I checked it out while I was looking. Not that I'd trade my TL for anything in the world, but I would've liked to have experienced the Volvo. From what I've read, it will not handle as well as the others in your search.

For that matter, while I would expect the TL to have the nicest interior of the bunch, the G35 and BMW are probably mor sport-oriented. For me (I drive like you - mainly commuting with a fun ride now and then), the TL has been perfect. SPorty enough to enjoy when there's no traffic, with an interior and soundsystem I can enjoy always.
  • Options
    Thank you taxesquire and kaitai69 for your responses!:)

I think I will take a serious look at the Volvo S60R also. The TL and the Audi A4 are easy to test back to back since the Infiniti dealer also carries Acura and Audi. The Volvo dealership is different, but closer to me! I seriously considered the Audi A4 and the Saab 9-5 (also test drove the 9-3) the last time around. Unfortunately, at that time, the TL was available only as an automatic.

The MT choices in the sensible sporty sedan category (the near-near-luxury class, if one can call it that) are very attractive indeed -- Accord V6 EX, MazdaSpeed 6 AWD, Legacy GT Limited, etc., --- but they can wait till after retirement!:)
  • Options
    michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    she should keep the reliable Mercedes she has back in those days they would go for 100s of 1000s of miles.

...I think you would be doing her a disservice allowing her to buy a newer one which will probably just cost her money.

If she could find a 98-2000 LS400 (lexus) with low miles (under say 75,000) she would a real quality machine that would be as or even more reliable as her old Mercedes, not cost an arm and a leg, and will give her a very nice comfortable, quiet ride with lots of amenities.
  • Options
    crushmeistercrushmeister Member Posts: 4
    I have a recent volvo which I have had nothing but problems with and I would probably never buy another. There have been a series of module failures involving Electronic Throttle Control Modules (now under a government investigation) and widespread failures involving ABS control modules. Each of these is a $1000 repair, and volvo doesn't help with it. After this experience I will never take for granted the great reliability (in general) of cars like acura and toyota.
  • Options
    Thank you for your input. Unfortunately, to varying degrees, one gives up on basic reliability when one goes the European route. Some of the older European models used to offset the reliability issue with high durability though that is no longer guaranteed. In any case, for my immediate purpose, reliability is much more important subject to the car being fun to drive!:)
  • Options
    pierpier Member Posts: 79
    I am seriously considering an 06 Passat VE because it has everything I want out of the Passat with the exception of the lack alloy wheels and the OE brand of tires. The VE comes with Goodyear Eagle LS-2. On my (former) 04 Nissan Quest, the 99H version of these tires resulted in a buyback. Many other Quest owners have the same problem - I have been lucky to get out of my lease agreement.

Here's my question: what is more cost effective? Paying the extra $2K for the 2.0T Standard Edition or getting the dealer to trade in the tires for Michelins and selling me 16" alloys on a VE? If the upgrade is not an option, how do I convince a dealer who usually does not want to go the extra mile (most VW dealerships) to do that?
  • Options
    You make it clear you are going to buy the car you want the way you want it and if he can't do it you will need to check with the other 30 dealerships withing a 200 mile radius....

Then get on the phone and call dealers....I purchased my Prius that way and didn't wait 6 months to get ...I waited a total of 3 weeks for the next boat to come in with the color and Package I wanted, Prep and delivery...

Never forget you are not locked into the local dealer...He will still service your car (service is a seperate profit center from sales) and be happy to do it.
  • Options
    moira44moira44 Member Posts: 3
    Well basically my choices are the following the Volvo S40 T5, 325Ci, A3, and IS 250.

I've already test drove the 325 and S40, and when it comes to zip and gas mileage, i believe the S40 has it beat. Design and rep obviously goes to the BMW. I'll be going to test drive the A3 and IS 250 tomorrow morning. But i'm still a little torn. I'd appreciate the pros and cons of each and you're own personal preference. An objective opinion would be appreciated.

As it stands right now, i'm leaning toward the S40 T5 with its power, mileage, and price. IS250 and 325 would be second, with the A3 at the rear, although the edmunds review has me a little intrigued.

thanks in advance.
    :confuse:
  • Options
    au94au94 Member Posts: 171
    we chose the S40 T5 over the 325 (price and to common), TSX (too common), (CTS (price) and 9-3 (scared of relaibility). We liked the S40 for its power, styling, economy and roominess relative to the size of car it is. For the money I think its the best deal. My personal opinion is that the BMW is too pricey, it's very difficult to find one on a dealer lot around 30-31k, same with the CTS. GM could have a winner here, but when we were shopping in August everything on the lot was 35k and up.

We did have a fuel pump issue after we got the car, but the dealer (Volvo @ Gwinnett Place) was VERY good. Provided a loaner and would not return the car until they were sure the problem was resolved.
  • Options
    kschoenrockkschoenrock Member Posts: 4
    I am considering the BMW 325 in an i or xi package and am also considering an Infiniti G35. First on the BMW, I live in MN and on a hill, do I really need the xi or can I get by with a good set of winter tires? I've heard differing opinions on this, but would like to save the $ and performance of the i if I can. Second, I drove the G35 and was impressed in its relatively much stronger engine and overall value proposition. I would be interested in hearing opinions from those of you out there who are more in the know.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi Kurt, welcome.

While you are waiting for some input here, be sure to check out our discussions on these two vehicles. Specifically, check out the Entry-Level Performance Sedans discussion since these are two of the vehicles that have been discussed at length there.

You may also want to start up a specific comparo between them on our Sedans Comparisons board. I think lots of folks would be interested in pursuing this subject in that manner and you very well may get wider feedback that way.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    rahulguprahulgup Member Posts: 5
    I am debating between IS 250 RWD and BMW 325i.

IS 250 cons: Rear leg room is very small, No Memory option available with RWD, tilt steering wheel is manual not electric.

BMW 325i cons: Less smooth/quiet than IS 250, about $2500 more expensive with same features (but this includes memory seats/mirrors).

Please help me with what is a good choice or am I thinking too much about less significant features.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Have a look at our 2006 BMW 3-series vs. 2006 Lexus IS discussion. There are lots of comments there that might be helpful to you and it's a perfect place for your questions. Good luck.
  • Options
    It seems to me the rear seats mean nothing since you will not ever sit in them.

If you are saying you will need to get All Wheel Drive to have the memory options Etc. that you want...Pay a little extra (about the same price as the BMW) and have it all.
  • Options
    My thoughts are similar to Maddox'. I don't know your priorities, s I don't know whether your concerns are justified.

W/r/t the IS - what will you use the backseat for? If you have kids, then it's an important concern. In fact, if you have kids who'll ride in back, you might want to look at the G35 or Acura TL (if you can live with the FWD). If you'll only use the rear seat for short trips and carrying a gallon of milk now & then, then it's not a real negative, right?

As far as the memory option and manual steering wheel adjustments, if you will be the only driver, then this also shouldn't be an issue. My TL has manual steering wheel adjustments, and it's not an issue for me, even though my wife drives my car sometimes.
  • Options
    misterjjmisterjj Member Posts: 32
    Drive the Audi A3. You will want it, guaranteed.
  • Options
    I agree. See my post to a different forum:

"I did hours of research before diciding on Mazda3 hatch, based on total value. Drove 2 hours to a nearby big city for better selections. Test drove the car, but was not really impressed. Some poster said it right: it feels cheap. Cheap leather, cheap panel (buttons look like toys). The design probably is more suitable for teens (I am 58). And the engine needs more power. Anyway, back to the story... Since the same dealer also sells Audi A3, I decided to give it a try. One drive and I was hooked. This is more like a car for adults! I hired a taxi ($200 one way) to pick up my A3 several days later and have been loving it ever since. I know it's 10K more, but what the heck, life is too short! For the first time in my life I discovered that driviing could be so much fun."
  • Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    The design probably is more suitable for teens (I am 58).

Interesting, you're 58 and call yourself "wunderKID". You're not Peter Pan, are you?
  • Options
    My mind still functions like a kid (being creative), but my taste matured:)
  • Options
    proeproe Member Posts: 157
    I really like new Passat 3.6 4Motion for not only it is AWD but also it has a lot of luxurious features in the car.
    I just wish it has DSG, the best automatic in the world, then I think Passat is complete ;)
    Configured it the way I want, the total with option comes to $38,924. Plus, VW has this new 3.9% finance on new model.
    For G35x, the total with option comes to $39,850
    For M35x, it is about $10,000 more than Passat.
    However, as with any European car, the reliability is my concern. Checked the JDPower, and Passat never has a very good track record.
    I have driving nothing but Honda Accord so far, and I have not had any issue with it.
    I like Nissan, especially their engines :)
    I like new A3 (it has DSG) as well, but I think after I configure the way I want, total with option comes to around $34,391.
    I wonder if anyone can tell me their experience with VW and is it like BMW that is expensive to repair and replace parts after warranty is expired?

Thank you very much
  • Options
    I had a 2001.4 Passat and kept it for 4 years. I remember there being 1 serious issue, but it was covered under warranty, so I forget the details. Other than that, no problems whatsoever. No problems with gadgets not working, no squeaks or rattles, etc. It was a great car. Since 2001 or so, it's been a recommended pick of consumer reports, so I believe it's come a long way from the unreliable VW Rabbit days of yore.

The new one sounds fantastic. It probably has a lot more body roll than either the M or the G, but it's probably just as luxurious as the M.

I went from Passat to TL, and while I am happy, there are definitely cerain Passat features I miss. Enjoy your ride!
  • Options
    oldmazownroldmazownr Member Posts: 7
    Had an S40, was an okay ride. Hear the new one is based on the Mazda 3. Got wife an 06 Mazda 3 HB (basis for the V50) and she really likes it. It's better than my prior model S40 was. The S40 had a thumping kind of thing when you let off the throttle at a pretty good clip. (80-90MPH) Dealer said it didn't. Finally took sevice writer for a little ride. After that, the found it was caused by backpressure and nothing could be done. I'm probably too picky. I will say this though, with the old 1.9 turbo it hit at least 135MPH without too much sweat and had some of the best brakes I've ever used.
  • Options
    enicholsenichols Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know when this colour will be available on the 06 A3s. I find the brilliant red to be too red.
  • Options
    misterjjmisterjj Member Posts: 32
    It's available to order right now and has been for a while. I should have mine in a week or so. :D

It's supposed to be a customer order only color but some dealers have bought them for stock anyway. I've seen a Garnet Red with open sky at one dealer.
  • Options
    audiorminiaudiormini Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone suggested the soon to be released fifth generation VW GTI? It's got the same engine + DSG + other specs as A3 but for $2-3K LESS. Release date Feb 2006.
  • Options
    potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    "Has anyone suggested the soon to be released fifth generation VW GTI?"

Good suggestion, but I'd skip the GTI and wait for the next R32. Then again, it probably won't be $$$ less than the A3, but definitely worth it.
  • Options
    joemalejoemale Member Posts: 28
    I apologize for my ignorance
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    A special edition VW GTI that was only available in 2004.. If you look on Ebay for 2004 VWs, you'll probably see three or four of them...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    Why is the Avalon even mentioned here? That is like comparing a G35 to an F-150.

Avalon's are nice but they are senior citizen cars. Unless you are over 65 years old....I would look elsewhere.
  • Options
    lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    The R32 is the highest-performance VW Golf with the narrow angle VR6 (approx. 250HP) engine and a tuned suspension. Believe it also uses all-wheel drive. A car that might be cross-shopped with the Subaru WRX STi or possibly the Mitsu Lancer Evolution.
  • Options
    Yes, the R32 is all-wheel drive. It also is only available with a 6-speed manual transmission. While it was supposed to be a "one-off" for the 2004 MY, word is that VW is bringing it back for another round (possibly for the 2007 MY).
  • Options
    I hear the same. Sounds like a heck of a hot-hatch that will be well-received if VW quality issues are resolved. Seems like a well-engineered and designed car that I'd certainly consider in my stable. Wish VW would have put the Euros spent on the Phaeton project into lean-based quality improvement efforts for their bread and butter lines... and then (and only then) they could have considered an upscale platform to the Passat.
  • Options
    BTW, I'm a BMW owner in Atlanta as well... 2003 e39 530SP.
  • Options
    gitakgitak Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 325i in July 2005 (new model) since then it has has two recalls...

Do not buy this car. I have had this car for 5 months and it already has 2 recalls. How can you have 2 recalls on a brand new model in 5 months of purchase of car! Also, the passenger air bag deactivates here and there. In addition, the 100% maintenance is only covered at the dealership where the vehicle was purchased, so if you move or purchase the car at another dealership, you will not get the same lever of service and will have to pay out of pocket for some things (or get a smoked up Saturn Ion as your loaner!). I have never dealt with ruder service departments in my life and will never buy a BMW again. The car is also lacking and things start to fall off after 4 months....do not buy!! Lots of money for little car!!
    :mad: :cry:
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    with undocumented recalls?

It is 1st year of brand new design. I would not think that recalls would be that unexpected.

Krzys
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you're having problems... But, the free maintenance is covered by any authorized BMW dealer regardless of where the vehicle was purchased. If you're not getting satisfactory service at a particular dealership because you didn't purchase the car there write a letter to BMW-NA and send a cc to the dealership. Might not do much good, but you'll feel better.

Also, as far as I know, no dealership is required to provide you with a loaner. It's just a courtesy.
  • Options
    kampindadkampindad Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to spend 30K or less on a sedan with some performance. I'm considering the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP which has received generally favorable reviews -- the torque of the V8 appeals to me and the current pricing is very attractive.

I'm also considering the Altima SE-R. I've got price quotes on both vehicles in the high 26K's. I'd really like to have a manual transmission, and the SE-R I'm looking at is a 6 speed.

The '06 Accord EX-V6 6 speed is another consideration, although they are a little hard to find.

Any advice is welcome -- I'd also consider 2004 or newer used cars.
  • Options
    cv2cv2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I'm debating whether to buy the 06 Civic Sedan LX or the 06 Accord Sedan VP. Both are more or less the same price.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    It really depends on what you want. What is more important, raw performance or a balanced vehicle with performance, class-leading safety features, etc.

My money would be on the SE-R or Accord, preferably the Accord if for nothing else other than interior quality compared to the other two. $30,000 will almost get you a TL, a new IS250, etc. There are a lot of choices so it's hard to recommend any one car to you without knowing more of your "must haves".
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Again, it depends on what YOU are looking for. Both a great and economical. Both offer class-leading safety and great fuel economy. Do you need the room of the Accord or are you happier with the smaller size of the Civic. The Accord will probably have a little more power and may be the better choice if you have any plans to carry friends, co-workers, or family around on regular basis. The Civic will probably be the sportier choice between the two.

Take an extensive drive in both and pick what is best for you.
  • Options
    I agree - it's a great time to be a buyer if you're interested in a sporty-family sedan in the $25-$30k range, especially if you're willing to take a year-used model.

Ford, Buick, Infiniti, Acura, Honda, VW, Volvo, Subaru, and Mazda all make 4-door sedans that blend sportiness, comfort, practicality, luxury and price to various degrees. Deciding what your priorities are is the 1st step to narrowing the list.

I'm biased against American cars, so I don't really keep up with them, but I'll give you my opinion on some imports:

VW Passat & Jetta - they'll fit your bill if luxury becomes a determinative issue

Mazda6/Nissan Altima/Infiniti G35 - if sport is your top priority, check out these 2

Honda Accord/Acura TSX/TL - more balance btn luxury and sportiness, with the Acuras also having some fo the best handling you'll find in a FWD

Volvo S40T5 - a fun drive - A notch above the mazda in terms of interior
  • Options
    brouce1brouce1 Member Posts: 1
    Someone one please sell me on one or the other. I want one for my family - 3 of us + dog and want one that is reasonably priced and reliable. We plan on at least having it for around five years and we want something that will hold up. My wife keeps going back and forth on the two vue/liberty on all the rating sites. Please someone help us decide!! Sell me one but don't [non-permissible content removed], I need the truth. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Depends on the size of the dog -

Have a friend who has a Toyota Rav-4 - they love it - great MPG - Toyota reliability - more room than you think inside.

I looked at one - but since we have a 90 pound dog there was not enough room in back.