Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

Comments

• jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    If it is long life and reliability, you are after - nothing beats Toyota and Honda. If you are after a little fun (you asked for manual), Mazda Protege or Pro5 (better) are good choices. I don't know about Hyundai.
  • mazda6sammazda6sam Posts: 20
    I just bought a Silver 6i this past Tuesday and it is without a doubt the best car I've ever driven that's under $40k. I test drove four or five models with all transmission choices and engines. I decided on the 6i because the 160hp is very fun to play with and the gas mileage is just right: 420 miles to a tank. I passed a guy the other day in an A4 and he was gawking and followed me for a while to get a better look at my 6. It's so fun to drive and I love the styling. The only thing I'll probably change is the wheels, I got the standard steel wheels because I can get some Konigs for around $500. The radio and interior are awesome. My whole family loves my new toy! Please let me know if you're thinking of buying this AWESOME car and I'll see if I can help make up your mind to buy one.

Sam
  • jidroomsjidrooms Posts: 1
    Help! I have great offers on all three vehicles. I have prices for each below 4% above invoice. Any thoughts?
  • mahirimahiri Posts: 26
    There are only two cars that I am choosing between -- the Audi A4 3.0 and the Passat GLX. Why should I may more for the A4? Is there more than just prestige to justify this choice?
  • helpme11helpme11 Posts: 1
    I am in the market looking at 2 cars that I love. But I don't know which is the better deal for the money. The E420 looks very nice but it's a '97 with over 85K miles and I'm not sure if that should concern me (mechanically) and it's 2K less than the BMW (i like the price). The BMW is nice also... Given that both cars are in good condition ( i had both independantly inspected) Can anyone tell me which is a better a deal... HELP BEFORE I MAKE A MISTAKE! :) Thanks
  • aki86aki86 Posts: 15
    Basically, what it comes down to is what type of driver you are, since both are excellent cars. If you're someone who drives his cars hard, go with the BMW for it's superb handling and performance. If you like a nicer ride and more luxury, go with the E420.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I had to remove some messages.

There are plenty of places all over the web to talk about political issues. Let's just remember that the Town Hall is not one of them.

Most of our membership appreciates being able to come here and talk about cars without having to think about the very hard things that seem to be happening in the world.

Thanks.
  • nova12nova12 Posts: 1
    LOOKING FOR A RELIABLE FIRST CAR FOR MY DAUGHTER. SOMETHING UNDER $4,000.MAYBE JUST A LITTLE SPORTY. CAN ANYBODY HALP.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Take a look at:

Integras
    Proteges
    Civics

Dinu
  • Word to the wise. VW automatic transmissions are crap. I had my 1996 Jetta GL automatic transmission replaced (noticed it sliiping at 60k miles) under warranty at 99,000 miles (went as long as I could with it). Currently have 170,000 and it is time to buy again. A new transmission in a VW is $4,000 and nobody works on them. Also replaced the moonroof motor, all engine gaskets, wheel bearings, entire exhaust ($600+), and fuel injector at or around the 110,000 mile mark. If you need a high mileage car look elsewhere, keeping it for 5 years maximum and under 100,000 miles then take a look.
    The Passat and Camry are both pricey, the Passat has more of a European feel to it and the Camry is more sedate in its ride like an American cruiser. I'd take the Camry first with what I know about the two cars. Do you think VW knows about their tranny problem? I do, its why you no longer see 10 yr 100,000 mile power train warranties, note the Passat's goes 5 yrs, 50k. Besides those two vehicles, I would recommend taking a long hard look at the new Accord V-6 or Chrysler 300M (that's right, a Chrysler), both are more reliable then the Passat will be and Chrysler is discounting the remaining 2003 300M's by $3,000! Invoice on an M is $26,400, so now the car is priced in the mid-size sedan range.
  • maskedmasked Posts: 9
    Hey, I was looking to switch from a coupe to a sedan (too many people, not enough back seat room and doors), but I still want something sporty and with leather.

To me, the best used sedans look like the TL, the Maxima, and the Passat. What others should I consider?
  • jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    They say that an automatic-V6 combo is OK but you really need a manual for the turbo4. The Passat I test-drove had a very rubbery feel to its manual and an uneven clutch release - and one more thing - the car kind of wobbled from side to side (could have been a lot things - I am not sure). Camry is a buick (I am a proud owner) with a better reliability record.

I suggest lookng at Mazda6 in the new cars and an Accord/Max in the old.
  • ramped1ramped1 Posts: 159
    Not sure if you are still with us since I just saw your post from 4-14.

For your daughter's first car you want something with more metal around her. For around $4K look at early or mid-90s Accords, Camrys or Maximas. You may be able to find some good buys with under 100K miles on them for that price, and if they were well maintained they should go at least another 50 to 100K. I believe most of those models tested well in the crash tests.

They also handle well, and they are among the most reliable cars on the road. I have a '92 Maxima that still runs great with 111K on it, and a friend has a '95 Camry with the same mileage and it has also been excellent.
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 557
    Right here at the Edmunds web site are several reviews of the 2003 Toyota Corolla that provide more than a enough reasons for buying Proteges instead of Corollas :

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/toyota/corolla/100074066/roadtest- article.html?articleId=96986&editorialpage=page003
  • maskedmasked Posts: 9
    Hey all,

I was just wondering, where is a good place where I can find stock 0-60 times (for autos) for a bunch of under 15k sedans? I'm looking for the sportiest of the sporty here.

Same goes for used...because I would guess a V6 Nissan Maxima would kill all the new 4 bangers coming out.

If anyone has that info, thanks in advance.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi masked - I think that a really good place to ask that question is in our Low End Cars discussion. That $15k you mention is the self-imposed upper limit for the vehicles that are debated there.

Just click on that link to get there.
  • jaekyun2jaekyun2 Posts: 8
    My parents asked me which one to buy... Father's major concern is comfortable ride and space..

And he's thinking 2003 Lincoln TC L model, BMW 760i, or Mrcdz S600... what do u think about it?

I know BMW's refinement is much better than TC.. but how about ride quality? Is TC that inferior than 760i and S600?

Plz compare freely....
  • kinleykinley Posts: 854
    Space = Towncar

Ride = Towncar or M/B

Quality = M/B or BMW

Large people fit into large cars whereas little people do better in little cars.
  • jaekyun2jaekyun2 Posts: 8
    If there isn't enough space, how comfortable ride possible? i might be wrong... just what i thought. hmm.. towncar has been famed for smooth ride (so called magic carpet ride)... however I doubt BMW 760i and Mrsdz S600 cannot give excellent ride.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    For a chauffeur driven car the Rolls is the best. A bit expensive, but the best. Otherwise a stretched Towncar or whatever will do.
  • aki86aki86 Posts: 15
    I agree with kinley.

Why isn't a comfortable ride possible without as much space? The Towncar may have more space, but it's only slightly more than the S600. I'm not sure how much the BMW has in comparison (I was using the Edmund's top10 list). Does this mean that the Towncar has the best ride of any car? No, just slightly more space. There are other factors that play into this as well such as how smooth the ride is.

Also, the new Maybach 62 might be good. If they're hiring a chauffeur, they probably have the money. This would beat all three of those in ride quality, performance, quality, and space (by a lot).
  • v8man1v8man1 Posts: 1
    I'm almost 17, and my uncle has a 99' camry he is willing to sell to me, but living in massachusetts, and being 15 miles away from my school(private school) i dont think it will do well in snow. If you have any recomendations on first cars, SUV's or sedans.. they will be apreciated
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    The youth always buy something small but practical: Mazda Protege 5, Mitsu Eclipse, Toyota Celica, VW Jetta, Honda Civic, Mitsu Lancer, or a Ford Focus. I think the Camry will be fine in the snow. I think the Camry is a good 1st car if your relative is just willing to sell it to you. Young People also buy Mustang's but thats rear wheel drive so you don't want that in the snow.

A used Nissan Altima or Honda Accord would be nice too. Think 96-97 Accord or a 98-99 Altima.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    The Camry shouldn't have any problem in the snow. Whenever we get snow, our Camrys and Avalons have done very well. We were disappointed that our 4X4 Sequoia wasn't doing as well as the front wheel drive Camry on snow.
    I'm not sure what that board is saying...but I just know from experience that our Avalon has passed up other SUVs and our Sequoia was more nervewrecking to drive than a smaller sedan.
  • partyboye1partyboye1 Posts: 16
    I am young and cool. I want a nice, reliable car. It doesn't matter if it is a sedan, a coupe, or SUV. I like are cars. I am a big Mazda fan and subaru fan. I also like the toyotas, nissans and hondas. My budget is about 12K.
    One of my favorite cars in that price range is the 1996-1999 Celica. What an incredibly great looking car! It's well built and the styling is classic. The current Celica's design will surely fade when a new one is introduced in the next year or two.
  • optimist2optimist2 Posts: 15
    I have a dilemma and I am hoping to get some advice from this forum.

Now that my wife and I have had our first child I am looking for a car with
    1) the most safety features (goal is to have the best chance of both surviving an accident and not suffering any major injuries) and
    2) the highest reliability (for the first 5-7 years i'd like to go to the dealer to change oil and do scheduled maint. only)

Yes, I know i want the sun and the moon, but this is what my research has guided me to:

I am looking at two options of almost identical price ($20,000 invoice plus tax, license and fees). this is within my budget.
    1-Passat GL 5 manual with all front and side airbags for driver and passenger, curtain airbags, ABS, traction control and Electronic stability and 4-year warranty
    2-Camry SE 5 manual with all airbags, ABS (NO antiskid or Electronic stability available) premium package with leather, and fog lights and 3-year warranty.

crash tests from NHTSA are similar for both vehicles:
    Passat: 5 stars frontal crash driver, 5 stars frontal crash passenger, 4 stars side crash front, 4 stars side crash rear
    Camry: 5 stars frontal driver, 4 stars frontal passenger, 3 stars side crash front, 5 stars side crash rear
    From Highway safety institute
    Passat: GOOD (highest rating) in all except average in restraint/dummy movement
    Camry: GOOD (highest rating) in all except average in foot/leg injury right front seat.

I love the passat but i really do not want to deal with maint. problems (I have only owned japanese cars: a Subaru GL10 '85, a mazda protege '98 and a rav4 '99-all extremely reliable). On the other hand, I wonder if it's not worth dealing with some limited (apparently) maint. hassles to get the most safety features. Do antiskid and electr. stability really add significant value to the safety package?

I know i cannot go wrong with either choice but I would still value your opinions so as not to leave it to the flip of a coin.

thank you
    optimist2
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Posts: 423
    I've driven pickups for my personal vehicle for the last 25 years. I'm in need of a comfortable car and my priority is regular fuel only, seat comfort and ride quality. I use to do 6-700 miles a day and not even feel it, now 250 just kills my back and legs. What are some of the best choices in the 20-30k range and then the 30-35k range? My thinking is a Crown Vic Sport with Recaro or Sparco seats would be ideal, but what other cars might have that ride quality and seat support quality that I should start a short list? Toyota Avalon or Camry, Nissan Maxima? Thanks for any help.