Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I have a 2004 vibe and it has never burned oil. It is a great car as would be a Corolla. Corolla probably gets better gas mileage though. Does the poster want a hatch or a sedan?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Totally agree...one has to keep the increased costs in mind when going the lux route. There's also the "piece of mind" factor as I call it. The piece of mind of knowing that your car will just do what it has to do when it's needed...that with minimal upkeep, it will not leave you stranded. What good is a nice lux vehicle if it's not dependable, if one can't trust it to be consistent and not leave you on the side of the road. To me, this is a very important factor when considering any car. I'm sure other s will disagree, but I want an affordable car that is dependable...pure and simple!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    edited January 2013
    Well, these aren't really "luxury" vehicles. What you are targeting is "Old retired upper-middle-class professional". People who take care of their cars, drive them maybe 5-8K a year, and tend to buy larger and more solidly built machines rather than econoboxes.

Ie - a Buick or a base model Lexus (or say, since Toyota in Japan is one brand and Lexus is their U.S. "luxury" marketing scheme), a Toyota Avalon. As for parts, you go aftermarket and DIY. Most of these cars have plenty of space to work on them for minor fixes and are straightforward for any local mechanic to handle.
    (case in point, dealer parts for my previous 20 year old Toyota a 4Runner: ~400 for a starter. $120 from the local parts store.)

I've had terrible luck in the past with trying to buy cars in the 10-12 year old range at that price point. The cheaper cars have cheaper electricals, wiring, smaller alternators, cheaper gaskets and seals, and so on - all of the little annoying crap that falls apart as any vehicle ages. So while that 2000 Corolla might still run nearly brand new, it's almost guaranteed to have a ratty and nasty interior with tons of little things wrong with it. Such are cheap cars when they get old.

I mentioned the Grand Marquis because it depreciates like a rock as 95%+ of the Crown Victoria (brother model) were sold as police cars and rentals and so on. But about half of of these were bought (in small numbers) by elderly people and hardly even used. Add in leather, wood trim, and a few other nice touches, which immediately dissolves any image of it being an ex-taxi or cop car, and it's a wise choice for the person who wants a car on a limited budget.

Plus, it's possible to get one in your price range that's only 7 or 8 years old. This gives you a few more years before the age-related items start to go on you.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=333103158- - - This is a typical example. Haggle a bit and you'd be just a little bit above your maximum budget. Not bad for a 7 year old car. Dark red, light blue, and dark blue are the only three colors to consider as they don't give off that "fleet car" look.
    Trust me, to someone like me who has driven small econo cars since 1976, they are lux cars! In the past few months I've been testing different makes and models for when the wife's Mazda3s is ready to go and one car I was very impressed with was the new Buick Verano...very upscale interior and just a bit larger than what we both drive now...I could very well get used to it for my dd. I'd kill for a C Class or a 3 Series but it's really overkill for my stage in life...retired empty nester who has driven less than 800 miles in over two years...the wife usually drive when we go out. At the rate I'm going, my '06 Civic will still be under 50k when it reaches its 10 mark in our fleet. Just makes sense for me to keep it.
    Something tells me that my next car will be my last but I wouldn't mind the Verano when that time comes...and it's the only American car that I'd consider at this point. I was that impressed with it and the seats were incredibly comfortable. The only drawback I found was the view out back...not as clear as I'd like but something I could live with. As an import lover, I really give kudos to Buick for getting me excited about a domestic vehicle and it's something that I would buy right now if circumstances were different! :)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

The Verano that I saw (well, all of them actually at one dealer) all had fit and finish issues that suggested that the employees on the assembly line are doing very poor quality control. Lots of badly fit trim pieces, mis-matched gaps, and so on. Also, it's almost 3500 lbs and has the same HP as a 1990s Buick. As a result, it's an immense let-down to actually drive compared, to almost anything else out there.

But it does look nice, I have to admit.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    edited January 2013
    I'm sure you noticed they have two engines offered?

2.0 liter: 250 Hp, 260 lb-ft, 0-60 in 6.2 seconds?

I've looked in several Veranos and don't find the mal-fitting interior pieces you allege.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

To get that 250HP turbo, though, you've got to pay almost exactly 30K. With no extras at all - good luck not finding one of the premium models with no extras added.

For $30K, it's just not good value. $30K gets you an A4. Or a TSX. Or a G25 pretty much fully loaded. GM should be pricing this closer to what an Accord is, since it's clarly not an Audi or Acura.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    >With no extras at all - good luck not finding one of the premium models with no extras added.

http://www.bobrossbuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2013-Buick-Verano-4dr_Sdn_Prem- ium_Group-CENTERVILLE-OH/1904907113

Not sure what you mean by "extras." That model is pretty well equipped to begin with.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    $30K gets you an A4.

Uh... no. An A4 w/o a gawd-awful CVT (e.g. a 6MT) starts at $33k, no options. By the time you add a few options to bring it closer to what the base Verano offers (e.g. basics like USB port, Bluetooth, and heated front seats), plus destination, you're nearly at $36,000.

Or a G25 pretty much fully loaded.

Except the G25 is no longer offered in the USA. The least expensive G sedan now is the G37 Journey, $38,000 with no options.

You can get a TSX for around $30k... although it gives up 49 horses to the Verano.
    edited January 2013
    Odd, I went to Truecar and they have the G25 listed. Yes, it's a left-over 2012. The Audi is a decent car, nonethless. Then there's the Volvo C30. And the list goes on and on.

The sheer number of cars in the 27-33K range is amazing as of late. And GM simply doesn't compare. The car is at least 5K overpriced for what it is. A more normal car to compare to it would be something like an Accord V6 EX. Slightly less money, way more space, a little better handling, better mpg, and so on. Plus, it has better reliability, resale value, and fit and finish.
    Better hurry to get that C30... it's such a slow seller, Volvo is going to discontinue it after this year. Must be a great car to sell so well. ;)

Oh wait... the OP said "sedan". The C30 is a 2-door hatch. Never mind! :P
    edited January 2013
    I've found over the years that "sedan" basically means "a normal car that's not a minivan or SUV" in these forums. Things like whether it has a hatchback or mini-doors or is a coupe and so on are minor concerns to most people. Most people who do need the car for four people will almost always state kids or the like in their initial post.

Here's why I know it's overpriced: In Europe, the car is sold as the Opel Astra. In the U.S., it is sold as a cheaper model as the Chevy Cruze. And also as the dolled-up Verano. The price difference between the two is a bit amazing, frankly. GM is at it again with badge-engineering and asking prices that are silly. This reminds me of the idiocy that was the Cadillac Cimarron. Take a Chevy Cavalier, add some bling, and increase the price by a crazy amount.

You wonder why so few are being sold? 41K for a first year launch is pretty pathetic these days. 30, 20, then almost nothing... It might not even make it to 120K total sales during its production run at this rate.

Plus, it looks like a jellybean. GM's 70-80 year old board of directors fascination with French names and styling queues looks incredibly dated. France might have been cutting-edge in styling back in the 50s and 60s, but it's nowhere now. We want more edgy and modern things like the CTS. What we get is overly-analyzed and anal professor approved crap that looks like it was churned out by grad students straight out of design school. We want face-punching, take no prisoners attitude and we get a polite old office worker who is still wearing the same 20 year old suit.

They have a name for this in Japan. Meat-eater and Grass-eater. GM certainly isn't the former.
    I've found over the years that "sedan" basically means "a normal car that's not a minivan or SUV" in these forums.

Or sometimes it means... a sedan!

41K for a first year launch is pretty pathetic these days.

Yet you recommended cars like the TSX and C30 and G25 that don't sell anywhere close to 41k units a year. So obviously sales numbers aren't important to you in recommending a car.

Plus, it looks like a jellybean. ... We want more edgy and modern things like the CTS.

In case you haven't noticed (amazing given how old the design is), the G sedan looks pretty jelly-beanish. Not very "edgy" at all.
    Quite often most people don't care about a coupe vs a sedan enough to change their mind about a car they happen to like after they drive it. The same is true if there is a convertible option for the same car.

Yes, 41K is low, but remember, that's a first year figure. The G25 was dropped after selling low numbers. I suspect the C30 is soon to die off as well. Now, the TSX is merely Honda being anal, IMO - it should be dropped as well. But it is a great car, unlike the Verano. I guess we'll look at the Verano in a year and know the real story. But GM is not known for sales increases on their models over time. And GM needs to hit home runs now as it's the 8th inning and they are running out of time and money. Not hit a bunt and hope they can get a base out of it.

And, yes, the G sedan IS a fugly thing. But it handles and drives so well that it can be forgiven. Kind of Porsche and the Panamera. Styling from hell, but it apparently drives world-class. note - I'd love to personally test-drive one, but so far, no dice. Guess I don't exude that yuppie millionaire vibe... :P
    Do you regularly recommend vehicles you've never driven? :confuse:
    I've driven virtually all of the vehicles that I mention. Living in Southern California, I like to go out and look at and test-drive cars every few weekends, sort of as a hobby of mine. Usually I get a friend to go with me - we have lunch, test a couple of cars, and maybe see a cheap matinee or some other time-wasting activity.

And I've owned a lot of cars as well, over the years. My favorite was a tie between the 1967 Mercedes and the 1975 Volvo 164E. The most reliable was my Toyota 4Runner. My friends have owned a ton of cars as well. Though none of us have the ability to really test high-end stuff. A Porsche Cayman S is the most exotic thing so far, aside from the occasional CPO luxo-barge.

Most fun car to drive manual in, btw, was a tie between a S2000 and a RX-8. I miss both cars. Rev the bolts off of them and hold on :)

Worst thing to drive recently was a Toyota Land Cruiser, btw. Just hideously top-heavy and sluggish to respond. It honestly reminded me of a moving van. The second worst was the Smart - the transmission was, well, not really a transmission. Nasty, horrid thing. At least you don't have to pay for a coffin when you get smacked by that Excursion...
    Usually I get a friend to go with me - we have lunch, test a couple of cars, and maybe see a cheap matinee or some other time-wasting activity.

Car salespeople must love you. :P
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to a woman who is a new Lexus IS owner. If you fit the description, please send your daytime contact to [email protected] no later than 3 p.m. PT/6 p.m. ET, Friday, January 11, 2013.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A journalist would like to speak to car/truck shoppers who are looking for vehicles that don't have new technology - or a minimum of it - such as touchscreens, phone connectivity, joystick-controlled infotainment systems etc. If you are looking to buy a gadget-free car or truck, please send your daytime contact to [email protected] no later than Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at noon PT/3 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    Always enjoying reading you comments, Backy. It's likely I will be looking at the 2014 Nissan Versa Note SV, Buick Encore, and the Kia Soul! later this year. My wife and I both sat in the Elantra GT & didn't feel comfortable. I did drive an Accent for 4 years (2002-05) before giving it to my son. So no question about reliability.
    The Note looks pretty nice, but... 109 hp and a CVT? Slowwwww. Must be a better way to get 40 mpg on the highway... like maybe the Mazda3i. :)
    edited January 2013
    I like the Soul...quirky ride and I slid right over instead of falling into. They have a cream pearl color which is stunning but wasn't impressed with the mpg's. But hey, when I'm ready to buy my next, and last vehicle, it might be a better all around ride. We're quite happy with our one Hyundai already in the stable so buying a Kia won't be a problem. And that vehicle will be one that I can ingress/egress from very easily...that and comfort will be the two most important assets any choice will have to have for me. And kinda like the longer warranty on these Korean vehicles, like the piece of mind that it gives.

I like the looks and comfort of the Verano...it seems to be more upscale than it's price lets on...it's just a nice looking car! Probably, no, is the only GM I'd even consider which is saying a lot about its perceived goodness to me...it makes my current Civic look like a real econo car. Since my next will be my last, I want a super comfortable, affordable vehicle that I could pass to my wife or kids...I want my last to be something special...at least more special than my Civic!

• yatittleyatittle Member Posts: 13
    I definitely wish to buy new accord ex-l w/nav but not sure about four or six. With the four, not sure about CVT. With the six, not sure about that thing that turns off three of the cyllinders when not in use, and also don't know if worth the sacrifice in gas mileage with the six. Difference in purchase price not a problem. Please help, anyone.
  • yatittleyatittle Member Posts: 13
    Please feel free to assist me in previous question or re-direct me to a more appropriate site. I have heard bad things about CVT and need to know if is bad enough to warrant buying a V6 even though I don't need all that extra horsepower. Thank you in advance for any help.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Hi YAT - if you look to the right on this screen, there's a box to enter keywords. We have several discussions about the 2013 Accord, so if that's the model you're looking at, just enter 2013 accord in that box and you'll get a list. Current owners can give you feedback there.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

From what I've read, the cvt in the new Accord is probably the best on the market today. It does take some getting used to, as my kid has a Versa SL hatch with it and it drives a bit differently than a regular auto tranny...not bad...just different. But once you get used to it, it's a breeze actually. I wouldn't be concerned one bit with the Honda version as they wouldn't put it out there if they had any reservations about it since it's their best selling model.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    yatitle: Honda's new CVT for the 2013 Accord is getting very positive reviews from everyone. Here's just one example from Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-honda-accord-sedan-first-drive-review

"But it’s the CVT’s tuning that makes the Accord feel fleet. The typical rubber-band delay has been minimized, and the throttle responds curtly when you ask for acceleration (although sometimes with some audible transmission whine at high revs). In mountain snakers as well as on city streets, the CVT works so efficiently that it all but disappears, and you never notice the lack of a manual control...."

The acceleration of the the 4 cylinder with the CVT is quick—less than 8 seconds 0-60.

You'll get better mpg with the 4, obviously, and so if you don't need sports car-like power that's probably the model you should go for.

Let us know how it goes at the test drive!

Best wishes....
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • redlinezredlinez Member Posts: 12
    So I've test driven a ton of cars, most of which 5 minutes or so which truly doesn't give enough time for a fair analysis of each. The Mazdaspeed3- the most boy-racer, worst gas mileage, least supportive seats, roughest riding, but by far the best performing. The Jetta GLI- love turbo power and 2.0T, easy to tune (APR/Revo/GIAC), great handler and ride, least visually appealing, spotty VW reliability, first 3 services free. Both of these require premium fuel. Lastly, the Honda Accord Sport sedan 6 speed- great handling/ride combination, super solid feeling, lots of standard features, gem of an engine, only color for me is gray, most grandpa-ish, slowest (0-60 6.7 1/4 15.3@93mph- which aren't bad), best mpgs, most proven reliability, regular unleaded, not much available to boost performance. Payments on all three would be $375-385 on 66 mos buying at invoice (less 1500 on the MS3) no money down. If I could find a low mileage 06-09 Jetta GLI 6 speed, I would have bought it already. I love that car. It's a 3rd car, daily driver for me, take my wife and boys places on occasion. We already have a 2012 Ford Fusion appearance pack car we love and a 2003 Suburban Z71.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Did you test drive the WRX and Focus ST? Where would they slot in?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    since you are willing to consider used, how about a 335i?

A civic si would be a far better choice than the Accord if "sporty" is your priority.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Jetta GLI shouldn't be that hard to find..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited January 2013
    The GLI base car is what I'm looking for. The WRX is out of my budget range and I thought the Focus ST was way to hyperactive. It was all over the place on acceleration (not spinning), the turbo didn't even really kick in until 3500-4000 rpms, and they're all loaded up with options. I hate the Civic Si's dash and the throttle overrun is terrible. If it weren't for those two things, I'd probably go with a Si, that and I don't like the newest styling.
    The used car I'd buy today if I could find one, is a low mileage 06-09 Jetta GLI 6 speed. The wife hates GTI's, so can't go there again.
  • drvettedrvette Member Posts: 99
    I like the VW offerings until I joined a V-dub forum.
    $500~ timing belt
    poor quality fuel pumps, frt suspension, interior etc etc

So I bought a Cruze ECO 6sp
    Timing "chain"
    Cast Iron block
    Quality build and good skidpad figures.

132+ top mph @ 32psi t.p. from the 15# boost @ 2000rpm~ has real seat-of-the-pants power.
    I've hit 125~ twice. This thing is Quick!

The ability to get 50mpg by hypermiling is pretty neat.

Goodyear Assure-Max(sp?) LLR tires are v. stiff & max of 51# cold press gives tidy handling.

Chk cruzetalkforums.com

As always YMMV
    ;-)
    Doc
    Just drove all three today. The Accord sport is out because it's just a great driving large car, we already have a 12 Fusion we love. I really love the Speed3's power and just how raw the driving experience is. Great brakes and steering. But the interior feels cheaper than the Vdub and after visiting the really annoying Mazdaspeedforum, it's plagued with interior rattles and noises. Haven't read that about the MKVI Jetta GLI. I drove the GLI I would buy today, the base car on 17" wheels. It just really lacks the low end torque the MKV had. Very clean interior design, feels way more upscale than the Mazda. Obviously two very different cars. I can get the 13 Speed3 for $1200 less than the GLI, but VW offers .9% for 66 mos, so the payment is only $10 more for the GLI. Really tough decision here......
    The Cruze is a nice looking car, rented one once with the turbo automatic. Just not in the same league powerwise and I think they're over-priced just as the Sonic.
    Can you drive a manual?

If so, you might want to consider a Civic Si.
    That's all I'm looking at is manuals. Should have specified that too. I can't stand the Si's spaceship dash and throttle overrun programming. (from what I've read). I doubt it has enough low end for me.
    My brother in law has a 2012 Civic Si. This generation has much more low end torque, because they put in a 2.4 engine. The dash is weird, but I don't think it's a deal breaker. I think it's a lot of fun to drive and shift. Honda's manuals are about the best in the biz. Imho you should test drive it yourself before you write it off

But I've always loved VW GTIs. A four door of those would be a lot of fun, and quite functional too.
    No one has a Civic Si around here. After reading more on VWVortex, looks like the new Jettas are rattle traps just like my MKV GTI was. So both the Speed3 and the GLI are prone to it. Wow, it's kind of amazing the money and technology supposedly in these cars that they can't build them better. People talk trash about US made cars, but I hardly ever had Chrysler/Jeep customers complaining about noises. Our 12 Ford Fusion SE on 18" wheels has never made any noises in 24k miles. Maybe it's the turbo power twisting the bodies too much.....
  • carnewbnjcarnewbnj Member Posts: 1
    This is my first time buying a car by myself. How do I go about finding a mechanic for pre purchase inspection?

Do people just take the car to a national chain or hire specialty mobile mechanics for the job.

I would ideally buy from a private party.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    I don't know you at all but here's some free advice. There are 3 things every man needs in life:
    1. a good barber
    2. a local joint to get cheap beer
    3. a good, trustworthy mechanic

Everything else is optional. :)
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Word of mouth is usually the best option for finding a good mechanic. There's also a pretty good source here: http://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-search
  • red0624red0624 Member Posts: 5
    I thought buying a new car would be easy. Do a little homework, take a few test drives, decide, write a check for the deposit and go. Ha! I sure need some help. Here's my list: 4 doors; a trunk big enough to carry real estate signs (think full size trunk - 2 signs or 6 bags of horse feed or the bodies of 2 people who have made me unhappy enough to stash 'em in my trunk); a backup camera; sporty and luxurious all at the same time. Oh - and great fuel economy. So I ordered the 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. It hit every button on my wish list. But they don't seem to be able to deliver it. So help me - I need an alternative. One that's gorgeous. I drive a 2006 Lexus now. And I did not fall in love with the new Lexus 300h. But I want it all. Help me, please. :shades: :shades:
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    edited January 2013
    REF: 3041
    Is price a factor?
    I'll assume it is and so suggest you check out the following (in no order):
    2013 Mazda 6 s grand touring (v-6)
    2014 Mazda 6 touring with tech package (I-4) - released Jan 2013
    2013 Honda Accord EX-L (comes in both 4 and 6 cylinders)
    2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Premium Sedan

BTW, if at all possible, take a guy with you when you do test drives etc. ;)
  • red0624red0624 Member Posts: 5
    While I'm not looking to spend more than $50k, I was hoping I could find something awesome in a luxurious car that also offers excellent fuel economy.
    I was also considering the Audi A4 front wheel drive as opposed to the quattro. Your thoughts?
    Are you volunteering to go with me? I thought I was capable of checking suspension, ride, amenities and performance. Or did I miss something when I forgot to strap on my brass cojones this morning? :shades:
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I can't see an A4 having enough trunk space. They're pretty small cars. The Q5 is a hatch and has a hybrid option. Decent sized car with excellent fuel economy...I guess "excellent" needs to be qualified. Sticking to hybrids...what about the Infiniti M? Bumps your price cap a bit but I personally find them to be very attractive and according to reviews drive very well. I don't have seat time in the hybrid version but have some with an M37 and was very pleased.

Also to throw out a weirdo option...Chevy Volt. Eye catcher, looks are subjective as always, good mpg, gives off the green vibe that might benefit you and with the hatch should take care of signage issues.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Try the new Avalon hybrid. It's getting good reviews.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    I don't know where you live... but, you couldn't sell a FWD Audi around here... What you'd save on a slightly lower purchase price and gas would be lost on re-sale...

The Audi is surprisingly roomy... not as small as you think, if you haven't been in the latest model..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mah52mah52 Member Posts: 7
    If you can wait until June, consider the new IS 250 or 350. Not a hybrid, but has an economy setting, and the back seats split and fold down to accommodate your real estate signs.
    I'd personally recommend looking at used cars a level up. For instance, the Accord in the U.S. is actually a model in-between the Civic and the Accord in Japan. What the rest of the world gets as the "Accord" is actually sold as the Acura TSX in the U.S.

The solution then, would be to consider the real Accord, or a 2-3 year old TSX for the price of a new Civic. Better features, a bit more bling/status (never hurts), and a ton less depreciation and initial registration and taxes. These cars also are generally built better and have more safety features as well. Lastly, let some other fool eat the initial depreciation.

Other cars to consider would be a similar used G37, a used Lexus IS, a used Volvo S60, or a used Cadillac CTS. All of these give you close to a proper sports-luxury feel and meet all of your criteria and then some.

As for my favorite pick, it would be the CTS. GM's European division basically stole a bunch of BMW and Mercedes engineers years ago and designed the car to be a BMW 5 Series clone. Which it does very very well. The engine and car design is in Germany and the assembly and electricals (the weak part on German cars) is done in North America. (Canada, IIRC?) It also depreciates the fastest, which means used models are all over the place for $20K.

www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2013&listingId=335- 730846

What's to note is that this is the direct injection model with the bigger engine. In 4 years, the price has dropped by almost 40%. It still drives like a $40K car, though. This is for CPO. If you want used, $18-20K is a more realistic number.
    I finally ended up with a 2013 Mazdaspeed3 in velocity red. So far I'm loving it. Got a great deal too