Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

change spark plugs on 2001 Caravan

sanddogsanddog Posts: 1
edited March 8 in Dodge
On a 2001 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl does anyone know how to get to the back spark plugs.On older models you could get them from under van but that isn't possible on newer models..Thanks

Comments

• zueslewiszueslewis Posts: 2,353
    radius bones broken and have a hinge permanently installed, you can access those plugs easily. I don't really know the quick answer there - I managed the service department for a Chrysler store in PA, and my techs always whined when they had to do plugs on the 3.3 and 3.8 - even the old school guys!
  • wtd44wtd44 Posts: 1,211
    Some sideways V6's can be "rolled" a bit from the firewall to allow more arm room. It has to do with 2x4 lumber and careful leverage.
  • I think the use of 2X4's should be limited to knocking some sense into the engineers that design such junk. I almost bought a new Caravan until I sat in the driver's seat, closed the door and was hit in the left knee by a poorly designed side-rest (where the power-window controls are located). I decided to wait for the new Honda Odyssey with 245 HP and a 5-speed automatic.
  • bretfrazbretfraz Posts: 2,021
    On "Shadetree Mechanic" they changed plugs on a 3.3L Caravan. They complained about the difficulty until they removed the intake plenum that sits on top of the fuel injection unit (the cast aluminum thing - I'm sorry, I know what it is but I'm lost for words today).

Anyway, remove that and you'll find the rear plugs much easier to change. Also gives you a reason to clean the intake runners and plenum.
  • gslevegsleve Posts: 183
    the plugs on this type of motor every manual I read said access from underneath yet I assesed the situation and took off the air cleaner assembly and wella I could get to the plugs from the top and torque them to specs real easy after I thought about it for about 10 minutes.
  • wtd44wtd44 Posts: 1,211
    This problem is not the property of Chrysler. I first ran into the spark plug rear bank problem as it concerned a Chevrolet my cousin owned. A Mercedes mechanic friend of his changed the plugs, and used lumber to roll the engine forward a slight bit, for clearance AFTER removing a brace that would otherwise prevent the lever from operating.
This discussion has been closed.