Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• ...the Silvia looks better. That is an absolutely gorgeous piece of metal that Nissan produced; it's a pity we can't get them here.

6462: Honda kinda does have it's butt in gear. The 260hp CL-S could be a good competitor for the Z, and arguably just as good looking. But they do need to replace the Prelude, and some descendant of the S2000 could do well. And I still rather respect Honda for never having produced a forced-induction motor.
  • I think the production Z pics look very nice. It looks a lot better with the smaller grill compared to the concept car. The Z also looks a lot better in silver that that weird goldish color they used for the concept. I'm not too crazy with the interior though. Where are the leather seats? Also the door sills look too high.
  • or does the front end look like an S2000 from certain angles? I think the RX8 concept should be better, because of the fact that I am a complete rotorhead who worships RX7s, they actually come as 4seaters, and that 6speed F1-style Trans sounds really cool (if that is what is being put on the RX7). Geez, that 10K RPM redline sure sounds tempting... but the Z Car looks pretty impressive... I am not much of a Supra/Z Car fan as I find them to be just too darn heavy, compared to an RX7 which is light... anyways sorry for the rambling, but this ZCar looks impressive, especially that engine... you could eat off that thing...
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Posts: 852
    'preciate your photos:other sources indicates new 350Z length (translated from millimeters) as about 169.5 inches weighing in at just over 2900 pounds. Now if Nissan dealers will exercise a minimum of gread....................(perhaps the factory can partially suppress their hunger - or provide appetite suppressant incentive action)!!!
  • snaphooksnaphook Posts: 130
    >>weighing in at just over 2900 pounds

I'll believe that when I see it. But I sure hope you're right. That was the one factor keeping me from getting too excited about this car. I was assuming it would end up being closer to 3,500 lbs.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,101
    There's and article in the new Road & Track with a first drive on the new Z. The only 2 things that would prevent me from buying this car when it comes out are Dealer Mark-Ups and the lack of a sunroof.

The weight is listed as 3150lbs (est).
    280 Horsepower@6500 RPM
    253 lb/ft torque@4500 RPM

That gives it an impressive 11.25 hp per lb ratio

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• planomlplanoml Posts: 244
    Anyone know? Is the RX8 a 2+2?
  • The Silvia has 250hp with the SR20DET, and about 165 with the SR20DE.

The NSX does loose image from the cheaper Acura's and Honda's. The NSX is a Honda, that right there means it won't have quite the image of a marque like Ferrari. NSX's haven't been a big money maker for Honda, they just build them as a display of their technology to get people in the showrooms. Largely because they don't have the same image as Ferrari. That's not really relevant though, because we're talking about three different versions of the same car. While the NSX is a totally different platform than the rest of the Honda/Acura linup. Lesser versions of a high end car will take away from the image of the top end model. It would be like if Ferrari offered 4 cylinder 360 Modena's with 110 hp, cloth seats, no a/c, etc, for $15,000. That's going to take away from the Image of the $180,000 360. Considering many of the buyers of those high end cars are only going after the image in the first place, that becomes an important factor. Most people who don't know about cars don't know the difference between a 318 and an M3 because they look very similar to the untrained eye. Like somebody else mentioned, the don't sell the 318's here anymore. That's because they want to keep a higher end image. They still sell 4 cylinder cars in Europe, so it's not like they've been completely discontinued. Still, BMW doesn't have the same image of say, Porsche who is known for building only sports cars(I curse the day the Cyenne comes out, Porsche is going down hill). So basically, no, I don't think a cheaper less powerful Z should be sold if they hope to compete with the S2000's, BMW's, Porsche's, etc. Image is very important to a cars sucess(ever wonder why the Japanese sports cars of the early 90's died off including the last Z, they didn't have the image to match the price they were being sold for).

Oh, and a twin turbo won't necessarily add 100+hp. Heck, the last generation Z only had a 75hp difference between the N/A and TT models. Also, the new VQ block isn't quite as sturdy as the last VG block. It's made out of aluminum which is weaker, and has an open deck design so the cylinder walls can't take as much stress. So that may be a factor in how much power they'd get out of a turbo Z. Also, twin turbo doesn't mean lots of power. It's usually done to reduce turbo lag. Many twin turbo cars get swapped to single turbo when going for outrageous power. Of course all this talk of a turbo Z is assuming they even build one. It's all rumors, and I'll believe it when I see it(or atleast hear it from Nissan).
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Posts: 852
    .........on the new 350Z: What do we know(or suspect)........Length - about 170"; width - circa 71 and change; weight 3150-3200..... projected price < $30,000 (but those greedy, egg-sucking dealers!!!) 1/4 mile under 14; 0-60 about 5.5 - - 5.8 (my estimate) lim slip diff/traction control yes but 4-wheel steer no....... Somehow I suspect that I'm overlooking something........

I suscribe to both C/D and R/T and I've yet to see those articles (or to receive my December issues.........but in retrospect, I would think the post office in entitled to a little slack.
  • >>>>>The NSX does loose image from the cheaper Acura's and Honda's. The NSX is a Honda, that right there means it won't have quite the image of a marque like Ferrari. NSX's haven't been a big money maker for Honda, they just build them as a display of their technology to get people in the showrooms. Largely because they don't have the same image as Ferrari. That's not really relevant though, because we're talking about three different versions of the same car. While the NSX is a totally different platform than the rest of the Honda/Acura linup. <<<<

IMO the NSX failed to inspire customers for exotic cars for one reason and one reason only, it has a damn V-6 for a power plant. That is the same reason Toyota Supra and Nissan Z took a nose dive (besides price) in the North American market. If you want to attract people that like performance automobiles, you best stick a V-8 in the chassis and make it RWD or hang it up. I suspect the new Nissan Z will take a back seat in performance to the last year of the "F" bodies and also end up eating smoke from the Mustang Cobras,and maybe even the GT's. So unless Nissan finds a way to market that new Z car for less than $25K, it will end up being about as popular as the last Z car we saw in the market. V-6's don't cut the mustard in my book.
  • It has nothing to do with the number of cylinders. Most BMW's sold in the US are straight 6's, porsche's are flat 6's. It's all about heritage. No Japanese company has any real history built up in the supercar world. So it won't have the same image as a European competitor.
  • Nissan Z cars failed because of the V6? It was sold for 25 years exclusively with a 6 cylinder, and suddenly that was the cause for its demise? Same for the Supra? Using your theory, how was the 4-cylinder Lotus Esprit a popular exotic for so long?

The F-body might be able to outrun the new Z, but it is being discontinued. With the supposed rampant desire of all performance car people to have a V8, why did the F-bodies sell so slowly? I drove a V8 Firebird a few times when I had a normally aspirated 300ZX. For what I value, the 300ZX had far better performance than the Firebird.

If you want to use the V8 argument, you might want to stick with Cobras. At least Ford has been slowly adapting stuff that foreign cars have used for 30 years or so.
  • http://images.rotarynews.com/images/RX-8Tokyo/

I like both cars but the option of the 4 seats in the RX-8 makes it way more practicle. Plus the wife would go for the Mazda over the nissan due to the 4 vs. 2 seats. That whole where are we going to put the kid thing;)
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    ..to which I would add that anyone thinking that Nissan would even remotely be trying to steal market share from the Mustang or Camaro/Firebird is just a little off.

Not to be disrespectful to American musclecar advocates, but the I suspect the Z will appeal to a market segment looking for a tad more refinement and reliability (and a lot fewer rattles). Most Ford and GM owners don't get that concept and I, for one, don't get the musclecar mentality that cylinders and cubic inches are the measure of a car's prowess. And I even owned a 12-cylinder Jag E-Type back in the early 80's.

dohc32v - Choices are great, enjoy your Mustang.
  • and I don't get the fact that some people think that GM means low quality.
  • bjrichbjrich Posts: 125
    To some guys the bigger the "Hub Caps" that a women has, the better the women. Thats the way GM F body guys are. Even SUV buyers are also much this way.
    To understand the beauty of a fine car is to understand much much more than the Big Hub caps theory.
    A loud exhaust....big cubes....etc etc often equate to better!
    As one learns in life. bigger is certainly not always better.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    .. it goes both ways. There are men and women alike who attracted to "lean and mean" and other's are turned on by "big and bold". This seems to apply to cars as well as significant others.
  • Alaskan: I like that image argument. In Japan, nothing stops Nissan from selling hugely expensive cars... e.g. Skyline GT-R for ~$50,000 and President for $75,000 - $85,000 (VERY flashy image car). And the base Skyline is a $26,000 family-hauler... that certainly hasn't reduced your image of the Skyline, has it? Toyota sells everything from the sub-&10,000 Vitz to the $60,000 Soarer. It hasn't really affected Toyota's image.

But that's in Japan. Here, it's a defferent story. Only here would a consumer reject a car because the name "doesn't sound as prestigious". There's a word for that: prejudice.

But is that the reason the Japanese sportscars of the early 90's failed? Well, the Corvette has done well under the Chevrolet banner since its inception, and even now, Chevrolet sells the absolute cheapest of GM models. It hasn't hurt the Corvette's image, so no, I don't think that's behind the failure of Japanese sports models.

If you asked me why the Fairlady, Supra, RX-7 failed the first time around, I'd say it was because they were priced too low. The measely $30,000 it took to buy an RX-7 wasn't enough to give it image and aura like a Corvette or a CL500.

And just so as to avoid further "debate" about domestics vs. imports, comparing a Corvette to an RX-7 is like comparing a hamburger to a hot dog. Not liking the RX-7 over the Corvette is not liking the hamburger because it is too fat.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    SUVs were what killed the japanese sports coupe. If you could only afford one car it had to be one that could do everything right? Looks a lot cooler and gets a lot more respect than a minivan so the women consumers loved them. Sports cars just couldn't make the home depot run and with those stores popping up all over america people just had to have a car that they could also haul garden mulch in.

Not me, I crammed a six foot ladder in to my mustang coupe the other day.