Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• aftyafty Posts: 499
    I don't know how accurate Edmunds TMV really is. It seems like an informed shopper can almost always do better than TMV. For example, I bought a new Altima a few months ago. Edmunds TMV at the time was straight MSRP, but I got mine for $2k under MSRP with no haggling.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,093
    It depends on the region you're in. I remember back over the summer when TMV on a Honda S2000 was a few thousand more than MSRP, dealers here in NY were advertising them for a few thousand under MSRP. Check with your dealer. There's a guy on this board who says there's a dealer in San Diego that will give a discount from the get go (and if you're willing to wait).

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    That was the ad on sticker on a new honda coupe when they came out. I dont know what idiot thinks someone is gonna pay OVER sticker on one of the biggest mass produced cars, but o well. Nothing like unscrupulous dealers...

DL
  • hgileshgiles Posts: 66
    Just let the lemmings swim into the dealers and pay over MSRP for a brief time. This car is awesome and will be a great deal, but the hype will die down. They are going to make so many of them. I bet below MSRP will occur around this time next year.
  • NissanDriven just came out with 3-4 additional photos for Z. One is for rear spoiler and other is carbon fabric interior.

Carbon fabric looks real good but spoiler sucks! This spoiler looks more like old infiti XJ?'s spolier.

Also, Ray's 18 incher looks lighter.
  • rezo00rezo00 Posts: 103
    you can delete the spoiler at no cost.
  • I pre-ordered my Z Saturday. Got a Silverstone Enthusiast 6MT and was interested in leather, but the dealer said leather was only for Touring and Performance models. Oh well, at least i got it for MSRP. Can't wait until August!!
  • dat2dat2 Posts: 242
    Am interested in opinions on ride quality of the new z. a quote from nissan in one of the magazines says they are shooting for ride that is not bone jarring...more mature or sophisticated. very un- s2000.

i currently drive a 96 240sx with 115,000 miles, and am considering the new z, howver dont think i want a car that rides much harder than my 240 (for daily driving). any thoughts on this?

i am pretty confident the new z will be fast, and handle solidly, howvr am curious about what the ride will be like!
  • Is it ok to drive a car w/o a license's plate on the rear? Or is it the front? Does it depend on the state u live in? Thanks.

P.S: Dat2, not sure about the ride since no demo Z will be at any dealerships. The owner will be the only one to drive the car.
  • snaphooksnaphook Posts: 130
    Unfortunately if your state issues you 2 plates in all likelihood it is mandatory to place them on front and back. I live in one of these states (MD), and I really think the front plate will detract from the appearance of the Z. It amazes me that with all the technical innovations that have occurred in the auto industry we are still using the same archaic method of identifying a car. Also, if your state issues only 1 plate, like FL, it must go on the back.
  • A page or 2 back, someone wrote they saw a pic of a convertible Z in the March issue of one of the car magazines (motortrend/C&D ect page 56). Please post the pic if you can. Thanks---
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Now that I've put 1,700 miles on my new 2002 S-2000, I feel I can be a little more articulate on the subject of handling.

I'm still not sure what the Nissan marketers mean when they are shooting for more "mature" handling than the S-2000. I'm 44 w/ wife and 2 kids and have never been an "immature" racer type. Perhaps Nissan is going after my dad? The S-2000 has, IMO, the best scapel like handling and steering this side of a $100,000+ exotic. This is accomplished, by the way, with an extraordinary chassis and almost ordinary 16" wheels and 55/50 series tires.

I would be really concerned if the S2000 ISN'T one of the Z's targets with respect to handling. It is not "bone jarring" by any means. It is exceptionally tight and, as with any true sports car, there is a lot of feedback. But, I would reserve the term bone jarring to those cars with less capable chassis that need to go to 18+ inch wheels and 35/40 series tires to achieve a comparable level of handling that the S2000 achieves with it's very well balanced approach.

I will be greatly interested in driving the new Z when it comes out. But marketing hype aside, I have not seen much consistency coming out of Nissan as to what their real goals are. A pure sports car ala the original 240Z? A "mature" GT? A something for everybody sports coupe? All this at 400 lbs more than the S2000/Boxter S?

We'll just have to see.
  • Can't a pic on the web, but Motor Trend has a picture of the 350Z convertible and it REALLY looks sharp. Check it out at your newstand.
  • That convertible is hot!
  • I too preordered my Silverstone Enthusiast Model 6-speed at MSRP, so the point is moot at least for me.

However, while debating whether to pay MSRP or not (something I am generally adverse to), I wondered the following:

What if Nissan enjoys tremendous success with the Z and starts to nudge the base price upwards? Could it be that by the time dealers are dealing below MSRP, the MSRP may have risen a similar amount?

Perhaps such concern is not realistic, I don't know. Admittedly, I had my goal set on getting the new Z, and I was going to justify it any way I could. :)
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    If Nissan enjoys long lines at the dealers I would expect that very little discounting will take place the first year. It's very unlikely there will be a price increase the first or second model year, however a few hundred dollars may be the worst case. Lets keep in mind that we still no very little about this car including fit and finish and performance numbers. The 04 model will be the soonest I will jump in assuming the Z is a mechanical success.
  • "mechnical success"...

It's based on a platform that's out and doing fine in Japan. The VQ engine is rock solid. The only question mark is the new 6 speed. That's it. The rest of the car comes from old designs and materials.
  • from different dealers around town is that if the Z becomes popular, the prices will not decrease,but not necessarily increase that much either. Nissan doesn't want the 'younger'(20ish) crowd to buy this car. They want a bit older group of men( mid 30s) for this market. Also, i heard that even if popularity increases alot, supply will increase only slightly. They don't want to mass produce this car until several more years. Not sure if all this is true, but that's what they told me.
  • rezo00rezo00 Posts: 103
    this car is going to kick the mustangs [non-permissible content removed].