Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan 350Z

Comments

• I just purchased a 350z roadster for my husband for Christmas. He has no clue I have done this. Now I am getting cold feet. I'm afraid he is going to kill me! I was wondering what most of you guys out there would think if your wife had done this without consulting you. Please give me your thoughts. I am really starting to panic.
  • Well, tell us a little about him, age, what he's driving now, how much does he drive in what kind of weather, for starters.

Then of course, what model did you get, with which options, and in what color combinations?

Seriously, if my wife did that, I'd be thrilled!
  • He just turned 50. He has been talking about getting a sports car for awhile now. He said something about the Eclipse Spyder. I looked at it and thought it looked like a wanna-be sports car. He has owned a 240z in the past. He said he had always wanted a 300z so I thought a 350z would even be better.
    This car is just for fun. It would not be driven back and forth to work. We live in Georgia so the weather is really not a big issue.
    I got the Touring model, Chrome Silver, Charcoal Interior, splash guards. Did not get the gps system or the 18" wheels.
  • scantyscanty Posts: 171
    What a wonderful Christmas gift! He's a lucky man to have a wife like you. You did great.

Come back after Christmas and tell us how it went!
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    Well if wanted a sports car, and I could afford the 350z, and the only reason I hadn't already bought a sports was because I was a practical kind a guy (me practical... HAHAHA yeah right!) and a sports car is a superfluous kind of purchase... then HELL YEAH I would be super psyched!

That's like you saying, "here is something that neither of us need, and you would never buy for yourself, but it will make you really happy and that is worth it too me." Superfluous gifts are the best. This is very sweet (sniff)... I am feeling a little ferklempt... talk amongst yourselves...
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    Oh yeah and smart choice getting the Z over the Eclipse. The Eclipse is looking so outclassed these days it's a wonder Mitsubishi doesn't update it sooner.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    this past year I leased an new Altima, now my mom has the car and I'm back in the market again for a car. most of the time it is just me and maybe a friend. I've been thinking about getting a 2D car maybe the 350Z or the G35, (also considering the 4D AWD G35 and the Jag Xtype) I live in ohio and as you know we can get some bad winter days here. I'm in college and really don't do that much driving so I'll be going into a lease again (yeah I know college and not driving much is an oximoron, but I don't) anyways I was looking into the new convertable Z and couldn't help but wonder what the Z cars have been like in the snow.. I'll be getting the car @ the end of march or around then so the winter here will be dying out so I'll have a chance to get some snow tires as well... any comments
  • zzz350zzz350 Posts: 44
    Yes, Nissan has stated that the Roadster will be limited to the number of customers willing to pay for one. they are hoping that they will be limited to 100 to 200 thousand of them.
  • LadyCobra,

I'll echo the sentiments of others here who responded to your inquiry. You done good for your hubby!!!

I'm personally not into ragtops, but I recently traded in my 2000 Eclipse GT as part of the deal for my new 2004 350Z Tourer.

No comparison between the two. I found the Eclipse was a pleasant vehicle, but Mitsubishi ruined it as a sports car back in 2000 when they totally redesigned it, and among other things, eliminated the turbo. Also with the softer suspension, the Eclipse became a wannabe sports car and a wanna be luxury vehicle...and fully accomplished neither. The styling is attractive, but it's beginning to become dated looking, and the huge turning circle is something you might expect in a large SUV and NOT in any type of sporty car.

PisceanZ
    with dedicated snow tires, is the 350Z ok in the snow or no.... thanx
  • I feel better now. Maybe he won't kill me after all.

Muffin Man...the answer would be yes if I could afford two husbands :-)
  • Nice choices on the 350Z roadster for a Christmas gift.

At 50, he's probably not looking for a full blown sports car, but something a little more refined, but that still has 95% of what a sports car is all about.

If he gives you any grief at all (he's an idiot if he does), remember you've got lots of potential suitors right here on Edmunds should the need arise:-)

I've heard that the weather in Georgia is really nice most of the year.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    Your hubby sounds like a great guy, or so I'm thinking -- someone who wants a sports car but has been disciplined enough to be responsible -- And you sound like the sort of wife every man dreams about (really!) -- I can't imagine him being mad about it if he likes the Z and if you haven't had to sell a kid or two to finance the project. JW
    Anyone have any comments as to how these things handle in the snow with some snow tires on them. I'm getting rid of my 03 Altima (bought in december of 02 though) and it has only 7356 miles on it. I'm really considering the 350Z touring any thoughts please, I'll be getting into the haggleing part soon. thanx
  • I'll take my electronically managed traction control and my Vehicle Dynamic Control so that they can HELP save my family and I over the next ten (potentially every day) years until your predicted disasters begin to occur.

I imagine that you could became a fine lawyer within the next ten years.

Thanks for your opinion on the matter!
    Where i went to school post 1494 was between post 1493 and 1495, but not in here.

Anyway, if I owned a 350Z and lived in the snow country, I would park it and get a 4X4 truck or SUV with snow tires. You don't really want to subject a nice sports car to the salts, rocks and crap you find while driving in the snow, now do you?
  • Numbers get messed up whenever a post is deleted, as was the case here recently.
  • I agree with zzz350, cjs2002. If you live in a place that frequently snows and still want a Z, then consider getting yourself a cheapie used alternative vehicle, preferably with at least FWD.

Although the Z might do ok in the snow, you don't want to subject it to all the hazards and crap to be found in a snow/ice situation on the road. There's also a far greater chance of someone else hitting YOU. Besides, you're not going to be racing anywhere with your Z under the aforementioned conditions even if it got you to where you're going.

In my case, when the first flake falls, my Z scurries into the garage and doesn't come out again until the roads are sufficiently cleaned up after the snowfall. That could be from a few days to a week or more. But so be it.

PisceanZ
    Really, you got to be kidding. Are you trying to tell me there is censorship on this board, I am totally shocked!