Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost? Ask the M&R Host for directions!

Comments

• nickm2nickm2 Posts: 11
    I've heard that it's always good to buy your car at the same dealership you plan to have it serviced at- does that really make a difference? I'm trying to follow that advice, but wondering if its really worth all the effort- the dealership closest to my house doesn't have the options I'm looking for, but has found it at another dealership about 50 miles away- I would think the transfer of inventory would be a simple process, but its been a week and I can't get a straight answer or ETA. Should I just go to the dealer 50 miles away and get the car I know is there? I'm not planning on getting a ton of service there other than the recommended service intervals, but heaven forbid something significant pops up that is under warranty, is there a difference between taking it to a dealer that you bought the car from or another one? Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,331
    I think there CAN be a difference, but maybe so, maybe no. It depends, really, on what type of relationship you establish with the dealer and the service people. I think if you are a fair and reasonable person, they will look forward to you coming in no matter where you bought the car.

Sure, maybe buying at the same dealer you service at might get you a small favor now and then, but I don't think it has as much impact as how you and the dealer treat each other as people.

As for dealers taking cars out of inventory to send elsewhere--if you are trying to pry a very popular car with popular options out of another dealer, so that he'll send it to your dealer, this may not work. You could be getting stalled on either end, who knows? Some dealers play games.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• tarby07tarby07 Posts: 2
    Hi guys!! First, I've had a problem with my '99 Grand Prix GT leaking. Only after a good rain or a car wash, my passenger side floor is getting very wet. Any experience with this? I am told there is a holding tank of some sort with a drain hose that drains underneath the car that may be clogged. I can't find it. Help?
    Second, yesterday the blower in my HVAC system stopped working. I found the HVAC HI 30 amp fuse blown. I replaced it, and now have high blower speed ONLY. I checked the other HVAC related fuses and can't find one blown. All blower speeds went out at once. Any ideas? And do you think these two problems could be related?
    I would greatly appreciate any help you could give. THANKS!!!
    tarby--I'd post the blower question in our topic entitled "Electrical Gremlins" and then start another topic called "Water Leaks" and post the other question there, okay?

Mr Shiftright
    Host

• chevyk10chevyk10 Posts: 12
    When checking my oil the oil level is always indicated on the opposite side of the add/full indicator on the dipstick. Can I just match up from front to back to determine the oil level? I tried turning the dipstick around but it won't go in that way. Any ideas?
    Now that's kind of interesting. Am I misunderstanding you, or are you saying that the oil level only reads on one side of the dipstick?

• chevyk10chevyk10 Posts: 12
    yeah, only one, the side opposite the add/full markings. weird huh.
    I should say so. I'm rather stumped. It must be scraping really hard against the oil pan on one side, screwing up the reading.

Anyway, I don't see any reason why you can't read to the other side, no. Maybe even cut a mark there with a sharp edge of a file.

• oilcan2oilcan2 Posts: 120
    I am a amsoil dealer and user for 20 yrs,I d'ont
    want to come on like I'm tring to sell amsoil
    on these posts.My question is:Alot of users are
    using the amsoil by-pass filter,on the newer cars
    there is only one place to mount the filter,I
    was thinking of starting a post to help people with similar cars compare and get info on where to
    mount these filters ,amsoil does not provide this
    info to my knowlege.what do you think?
    I think that in spite of what seems to be your genuine interest in providing good information, as a dealer you would be soliciting a product and therefore rubbing against Town Hall rules on soliciting visitors.

So I would say this is not a good idea in Town Hall. Possibly other types of auto message boards that do not prohibit solicitation would be a good way to get the word out on your products.

• eyeballseyeballs Posts: 5
    i have setup a discussing (BMW, Bimmers and maintenace). How do i not make it a read only subscription and let other people post ot it?
    Oh, what happened eyeballs is that the Roving Host "froze" your topic because it was being discussed elsewhere.

Here's what I suggest. Go back to your topic and cut and paste your opening comments, and then click on the Roving Host's link to "BMW Problems" and then paste in your comments there.

That should get you all the responses you need and then we don't have two topics going on the same subject.

best,

MrShiftright
    Host

• cdnindccdnindc Posts: 14
    My wife had her airbags stolen from her 96 Honda Accord Sedan on the weekend. How much does it cost to replace both front airbags. I know they are expensive, but the dealer said the insurance might right-off the car because the value of replacing the airbags my be more than the value of the car. But the car is perfectly fine (minus airbags). I'm sure others have been in this boat before. What typically happens here????
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    cdnindc, we have two topics on the Honda Accord. Honda Accord Problems, and Honda Accord Quality Control issues.

If you don't find what you're looking for there, type in Accord in the board search box on the left and you'll get a list of a bunch of topics on the Honda Accord.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• eyeballseyeballs Posts: 5
    newsgroup that deals with BMW owners and maintenance. appreciate it!
    eyeballs--try a "groups" search through www.google.com

• cenzo1cenzo1 Posts: 2
    Both windshield wipers work fine however when they are turned off they remain in a vertical position when they should return to the horizontal position at the bottom of the window.

Any idea as to what I can do to repair the problem or should I take the car in to the shop ?

Thanks for your comments.

Cenzo 1
  • burrsrburrsr Posts: 255
    I have a 2001 Z3 2.5 that was rear-ended while parked in the street several months ago. It was 100% restored by a top-notch mechanic (to the tune of $8,000+, thank you insurance!). Everything is great EXCEPT one minor complaint: when tracking perfectly straight, the steering wheel points to the right by about 2 degrees. The car does not pull to either side under hard acceleration, hard braking, or coasting conditions, and the mechanic ensured me that all alignment, frame, and suspension components are back to factory standards.

My question is this: is there a simple steering rod adjustment that can be done to return the steering wheel to its normal straight-ahead position? Or does (as my dealer told me) an alignment need to be performed? I tend to believe the former, since the mechanic did this once, but I want to be better informed, since I am no expert on rack-and-pinion steering system adjustments.

Thanks in advance.
    CENZO-- you might post this in our "Electrical Gremlins" topic. I think the problem is in the wiper motor itself. You might find that motor and clean the connections that go to it, maybe even smearing on some "dialectic grease" on the contacts for the plug in.

BURRSR--you should be able to "center" the steering wheel on this car, yes, either under the car or up top. You might start a new topic called "Wheel Alignment" and then post your question there. In that way, you'll get your question answered hopefully and then others can also post alignment questions.

thanks,

Host

• kw_carmankw_carman Posts: 114
    Hosts, I hate to be the tattletale, but having two Ford Taurus problem boards is confusing.

Thanks for all you do!
    kw_carman, thanks for the comment. Maybe we'll phase one of them out.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• malachy72malachy72 Posts: 325
    I've been reading posts about slightly raising inflation in tires for summer driving (maybe 3 p.s.i. in each tire). Any thoughts?
    I don't think I would do this without checking tire pressure first. Probably this suggestion to inflate tires slightly in summer comes from the fact that quite a few tire failures (shredding, blowouts, etc.) are caused by underinflation of tires, which builds up heat. So naturally, an underinflated tire in summer is more dangerous than in winter. But if your tires are already at proper inflation, I don't think I'd overinflate them, as this might give you too harsh a ride. No harm in experimenting a little, though.

• nwong2aznwong2az Posts: 1
    I havea 1993 ford taurus 98K, over the past few months, the engine warning light come on and off while driving esp during the first 5-10 min , it usually lasts 30secto 1min at most and goes away spontaneously( while i keep driving ) . Should i be concerning about this to the point that need mechanic attention? I may not keep this car for much longer .
    Please advise of what could be causing this .
    nwong--post this question in our "Check Engine Light" topic or in the "Taurus Problems" discussion.

Host

• sweetpollysweetpolly Posts: 99
    Where did my bookmarks go?
    sweetpolly--- I have no idea but maybe one of the other hosts would. Try posting this questoin in the "Talk to the Hosts" topic in the News & Views Board, okay?

Mrshiftright

• Does anyone know where I can find online advice for repair of my A/C on my 1986 Cressida sedan?
    UZ GE motor...I think. Lemme run out to the garage real quick...

I have no leaks, and replaced the circuit breaker, but before proceeding I wanted to check and see if there is a common Cressida A/C problem I don't know about...

Thanks!
  • kw_carmankw_carman Posts: 114
    Is it me, or is it that a flutter of "newbies" has descended on the M&R Board, opening ridiculous discussions without first reading?

When someone registers to Town HAll, they need to have a required "course" called, "What You MUST Know About Town Hall."
    cressidadriver, I'll let mr_shiftright address your question as he's much more knowledgeable.

kw_carman, having more newbies is a good thing! It's just important that we hosts and veteran contributors direct them, whenever possible, to an existing topic where they're more likely to get an answer, or where the answer might already be posted. I'm sure we get a lot of folks visiting this site who just happen to have an automotive question, but aren't generally the "forum type," so we gotta help them along.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

This discussion has been closed.