Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost? Ask the M&R Host for directions!

Comments

• alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Check the centre high mounted brake light.
  • 3girlsmom3girlsmom Posts: 5
    I have searched high and low to find some sort of information on things to do and not do when breaking in your new vehicle. I know the manufacturer gives some info. in the manual but would like to read more from a broader standpoint. We have purchased (but have not yet received) a 2004 Toyota Sienna and want to do everything right from the start to avoid/minimize potential problems. Thanks for any help you can offer.
  • Marty684Marty684 Posts: 17
    Alcan: Thanks for the suggestion but the center high mounted brake light is also working.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,619
    3girls---the info in the owner's manual regarding break-in should be all you need to know. There really aren't any "secrets". You follow the factory's advice regarding service intervals, varying your speeds and avoiding extreme loads and that's about it. It should all be spelled out for you in the manual. They built it, they know.

• 3girlsmom3girlsmom Posts: 5
    Thanks, Mr. Shiftright. Someone told me to never use cruise control on a brand new vehicle for the first 2000-3000 miles to reduce the chance of tranny problems. Have never heard of this and thought I would check to see if this was true or not. Is that what you mean by varying your speeds? I will check the manual when I get the car, of course, just checking out any other info. Thanks again for responding.
  • bummprbummpr Posts: 1
    ES300 2002 Transmission Problems - READ ONLY

Why is this thread closed...this problem is still outstanding and has not been resolved.

There are still many owners who are trying to pry Lexus off it's past laurels and getting them to fix this problem.
    It's archived automatically by the software for lack of use, I think after 30 days of no posts. There haven't been any posts since April 28th, so it's pretty dead. We do this so as not to clutter up the topic list with inactive items.

Maybe people went to the 2003 transmission problem topic.

MrShiftright
    Host

• mbrombro Posts: 5
    Anyone know a good mechanic in the San Carlos, CA area? I could sure use one for a Ford Explorer and I don't trust any of the dealers.
    I always recommend just asking owners of cars similar to yours, especially when you see a nice identical car to yours.

Other good guidelines are businesses that have been around for a long time and that are family owned rather than franchises.

• virgiesmomvirgiesmom Posts: 57
    I would like to remove the multitude of warning labels located on the visors, however, they don't seem to just peel off, has someone had success in removing them?
    This has been asked before but I cannot find an answer in any of the boards. Thanks Virgie
    Ah, well, I've heard various solutions and I'll tell them to you, but please be sure to do a TEST on some invisible part of the visor to make sure none of these things discolor the fabric or damage it.

Here's what I've heard and pass on without recommendation:

hair dryer on low heat
    "goof-off" solvent
    WD-40 of all things

So proceed with caution and let us know!

• bongotoobongotoo Posts: 10
    My a/c works 75% of the time when the outside temp. reads 79 degrees or below on my in-car thermometer. When the temp reads above 80 degrees, the a/c works from none to maybe 40% of the time. It acts like the refrigerant is low. I had it checked and it was full. I haven't done anything else yet. I want to know if it's possible the problem could have something to do with the electronic components reading the outside temp and them screwing up the a/c air temperature. Is this a possibility? I just want to avoid getting milked out of all my money while they guess at the problem and repair everything until they eventually solve the issue.
    I think first off you have to read the temperature at the a/c duct itself. This gives you a quantitative reading rather than "it feels like" this or that temperature.

Also, I don't believe your a/c is reading outside temperature at all. Techs please cover me on this one.

• I just got off the phone with my local bio-diesel distributor and would like to post in the "Ok, I'm switching to bio-diesel" thread. How can I reopen it?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    Done!
    It's here: Okay, I'm switching to BioDiesel!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Thank you very much!!! :)
  • This issue doesn't seem to have been discussed for over a year but I don't know if it's a serious recurring problem or not. My 2001 9-5 emits a bluish/white cloud of smoke whenever it starts (not just first cold start in the morning). Other than the smoke, it has no other issues.

Should I be concerned?
    Well it's not the end of the world but if the smoke is a definite BLUE and you're sure of that, then that is OIL burning. So question is, from where. Most likely candidates are valve stem seals, worn valve guides or turbo problems. None of these are emergencies and the valve stem seals might not be too expensive a fix.

• ricorico Posts: 1
    I recently had my "99 Olds with 60K+ miles diagnosed with a hole in the intake manifold. As I have read other posts it appears this has happened to others with 3.8L engines. I would like to hear from anyone with this problem to determine if it is common & might justify contacting GM. I was told that they admitted a problem prior to '99 & "have corrected the problem"
    Hi rico,

You might search our topic list first off, for this discussion, then also try the "search" feature or advanced Search feature to the left of this page---key words might be 3.8L or 3.8Liter and also Keywords on Pontiac might show something.

I know it's been discusssed quite a bit.

• sna2n1sna2n1 Posts: 1
    Can you reactivate the "Anyone having air conditioning problems for a 2002 TrailBlazer? - READ ONLY " forum? I have the fix from my dealer. It is a defective low pressure switch and there is a TSB out there to replace it (tsb 02-01-39-005 SEP 02 A/C - Inoperative/Poor Performance). Thanks.
    Done!

kirstie_h

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Please, since I just bought this car, and it makes the noise that its described in your discussion board. Thank you
  • I have the very same problem wiht my 2003 Accord EX built in Japan, I also noted that my car purchased on Sept/2003 was built in Oct/2002

I bought it new, waiting for your response or other people with the same situation.

Mine has just 2200 miles.
    I reactivated it and put "Honda Accord" in the discussion title - good luck!

kirstie_h

• nissan recently came out with a front grill guard for the murano. I think people would want to know about it.
    Hi shelly64 - I think you're right! The best place(s) to post the information is in the active Nissan Murano discussion, where most owners hang out.

You can also check out the Aftermarket & Accessories board, which might be a good place to post the information. Thanks, and welcome to Town Hall!

kirstie_h

• corpuscorpus Posts: 37
    My driver door is squeaking more and more, and seems to have settled a little. I hate to go to a body shop, but I'm at a loss to figure out how to re-hang the door. Is the hinge welded on? Will I have to cut it off to re-hang the door? I only have 120,000 miles on it, but a lot of off road bouncing around (compared to the average suburban owner).
  • Hi! I am currently babysitting a 1955 T-Bird while my brother is overseas (see my post in the Coupes/Convertibles, etc.). Is there a collector car board for questions and info? Thanks!!
    Hi Misssam!

No, we no longer host a "Classics" board on Edmunds but if you did a Google search I'm sure you could find a T-Bird forum!

best

MrShiftright
    Host

This discussion has been closed.