Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost? Ask the M&R Host for directions!

Comments

• debncdebnc Posts: 1
    hi, i'm new here, and i have a question about my 2001 Saturn SL. it has just recently started (@ around 55,000 miles) making a whining noise that accompanies and matches my acceleration. any clues anybody? searching the saturn discussions has suggested that there is a whine, but why would it have come suddenly?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,015
    I searched the Saturn discussions and the only hint that I found was the possibility of alternator noise.

So you might have a mechanic check for that (either with a listening device or by disconnecting the drive belt if that is possible).

In theory, if it is the alternator, the noise might get worse as you turned on various electronic devices, such as lights, heater or power accessories.

Also, in theory, if it is the alternator you should hear this noise in neutral when revving the engine.

Let me know if these hints work and if not we may open a special Saturn discussion for you.
    Be sure, though, to post your question in the Saturn topic on the Sedans Board, which is here:

Saturn S Series

thank you

MrShiftright
    Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

I'm going to re-activate our Mercedes 300D topic and once I do, I'll come back here and post a link to it for you. So watch for it tomorrow. then you can re-post your question there or I'll be glad to move it over for you.

MrShiftright
    Host

The revived 300D topic is here:

Mercedes 300D Suggestions

I will move your question there!

Mrshiftright
    Host

• tomsr1tomsr1 Posts: 130
    This may be applicaable to all cars.At 30K miles my 02 Honda CRV makes a shuddering sound at the end of braking.It does not do it when lightly
    braking.I am thinking maybe glazed pads since there appears to be plenty of pad left.
  • Hi, I was at wal*mart trying to get a filter for my camper. They only had Fram (no way) for my '85 Vanagon 1.9l. I'd much rather use the Super Tech, but they didn't have a listing. I know the numbers are pretty much the same as Fram's, but they didn't have the 2870 I need. I looked at a few others, and the 3980 looks the same. Does anyone know for sure if I can make this swap?
    Well we don't have any active air filter topics to refer you to, but we do have a Eurovan topic, so maybe someone there can help you:

Here's the link:

VW Eurovan, Vanagon, Microbus, Etc. Topic

Offhand, I'd say that it would have to be an EXACT FIT to work properly.

I'll move your question over to our Brakes topic.

here's the link to it:

Let's Talk About Brakes

thank you

Host

• Particularly, it is titled, "Grand Prix,any recent troubles?", has 42 messages, and the last post was on April 15, 2003, at 2:03 PM, entitled, "Fuel pump fuse problem - pesky" by greywolf. The discussion was created by zujo, in the Maintenance & Repair message board.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Okay, Grand Prix topic re-activated. It's at the very bottom of the list, so here's a link to make it easier for you to find:

Grand Prix Problems

The Maxima moonroof question will be moved to the Maxima Problem topic, which is here, so that you can find it:

Maxima Problems

Host

• Could you please re-open the Audi TT Problems thread or at least start a new general thread about the car. I am about to get one and recent model info would be very helpful. Thanks!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    Here it is:
    Audi TT Problems

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I'm going to move your query to our "Technical Questions" topic since it's a once-shot deal and doesn't require an entire ongoing topic of its own. Here's the link to where your question is going:

Technical Questions Topic

Also, you can use our "Search" feature on the left of this page to speak with owners of your particular vehicle. Just keyword your make and model (e.g. Honda Civic) and view the list of topics that comes up, and click on the one most suitable for your interests).

thank you

Host

• My '99 JGC Ltd has 77,000 miles on it. I bought it at 33,000 miles. The scheduled maintenance calls for replacing the transfer case fluid at 30,000 (before I bought it) and 60,000 miles (oops, I missed that one). I went to the dealership to have the fluid changed and they called to tell me that there was no fluid in the case and that the transfer case was shot and the car was not drivable. Go figure, I drove the car there. They also told me $2,400.00 (ouch) to fix the transfer case. Because I didn't change the oil every 3,000 miles, although the owner's manual recommends 7,500 for normal use, the extended warranty will not pay for the repair. I had told the dealer to put fluid in the case and I'd pick up the vehicle. When I drove it home it was worse than ever, so now it's parked in the garage. I may end up fixing it and unloading it based on everything that I've read so far... Any suggestions?
  • jjpcatjjpcat Posts: 118
    Where can I find a thread on this topic?
    Here is an archived topic that you can't post to anymore but it has some good responses. It's only 13 posts long, so it wouldn't take long to read. If this doesn't help come on back and we'll think of some other way to help you out with your questions.

Here's the link to the archive:

Coolant Flushing

Shifty the Host

• 88kx88kx Posts: 5
    My neighbor to the right of me had a failure of the plastic plenum so did the neighbor to the left of me both driving GM cars with the 3800 Gen. II engines. Another good friend lost his engine due to the same problem on the 3.8 GM engine. Fact of the matter is that GM has at least the last 5 years worth of production that is doomed to failure as the EGR hot gasses are warping the plastic plenum allowing coolant into the engine cylinders. GM has done nothing to help customers even though they know there is a problem. They finally switched back to the metal intake plenum for 2004 on the GEN III engines. Their engineering mistake is your tough luck!! And they say this is the best engine in GM's stable? No wonder they are loosing market share.
    Hi 88kx. Your message is more likely to be noticed in one of our active discussions on the Oldsmobile brand. You can find all of them by using the search tools in the gray sidebar at the left.

kirstie_h

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hi,
    Our 1992 Accord DX which usually runs great has this problem of not starting after being in sun for some time. I try to keep it in some shade, but depending on the inside temperature, the car will not start. After an hour of cooling it with open windows, etc it will start. The mechanic has replaced the ignition module sitting in the distributor , but with little help. NOw, he says he got some documents from car service books, saying this is a problem of the fuel pump.
    Please advice.
    Thanks- Raj s
    Hi,

Okay I found the perfect spot for your question. Cut and paste your original post and take it over to our ongoing Technical Questions Forum.

Host

• Hey, hows about one for us shade tree mechanics who have owned more cars and trucks than we have underwear in our lives and just want to shoot the breeze about whatever topic about cars n trucks that comes up?
    Something like: The worse scar you ever got sninning your knuckles or what's the heaviest thing you ever dropped on your foot or how to keep the theives and crackheads away from your tools...Or...which is better: a good garage or a good woman? I know already, but the answer changes depending on certain things I can't say here..
    Anyway...is there such a place or can there be one here?
    Thanks..
    You might try the News & Views board rather than this one. (See "Select a Board" on the left side of this page).

Also, you'll need some kind of heading that expresses the basic idea of your new topic. I don't think "whatever" is quite the right approach, but you know, something like "tall tales" or "rules of thumb" or (those weren't very good suggestion but you get the idea).

• mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    Just a small complaint about creating new discussions. A few days ago I created a discussion about winter tires in New and Views. The host there correctly decided that it should go in Maintenance and Repair, so made it read only with a nice link. So I linked to M&R and reposted the discussion. So far, so good. Unfortunately, the M&R discussion boards aren't sorted by latest date, so no one replied to my topic because it was way down near the bottom of the list. Plus, another host made it read only because they said another discussion called "Tires, Tires, Tires" in Aftermarket was already discussing the issue. So I gave up, because it's not worth the hassle. My issues are:

1. My discussion dealt with Maintenance issues, not Aftermarket, so I felt I was in the right place.
    2. "Tires, Tires, Tires" is a pretty general discussion that mostly deals with what new tires people should buy. I don't think a maintenance-only discussion on winter tires creates much repetition. I understand not wanting to clutter up the boards, but if you take that too much to an extreme we end up with one discussion called "Vehicles".
    3. Technical issue - why doesn't the M&R board sort by latest post like the other boards?

Thanks.
    Okay, why don't you just post your question here for me and I'll make sure it goes to the right place! As for technical software issues, use the "help" link at the bottom of this page, and they'll explain to you how the software sorts and perhaps offer some possible solutions on changing your "view".

As a general comment, the Hosts do not encourage opening up an entirely new forum to discuss one highly specific question, so it has to be "tagged" to something more general, either a forum on a component or a forum about a particular car. It's a compromise related to practicality.

But the important thing is getting your question answered!

thanks

Mrshiftright, Host

• is there an intense dissection on the art of removing the headlight housing to change the lamp, especially for a 2001 pontiac grand am
    I see you've found the Pontiac Grand Am discussion, and that's a good place to start, since other owners may have done the same procedure. If not, they might have an owner's manual close by. It looks like you're already getting feedback.

If you don't get enough info there, you might ask the experts in our Technical Questions discussion.

kirstie_h

• Hello,
    Multiple questions, car has 140,000 miles on it.
    AC needs to be replaced/repair.
    There is interior issues with the door panels (covering is coming loose)
    Electrical window needs to be replaced.
    Is it worth fixing this car or should I sell it and buy something else? Car was purchased used, so there are 8 more months of payments left. Thanks for the help.
    Sure presuming the body and interior are clean and well-kept, it's worth fixing. It's very hard to sell a car with no AC and a broken window. You'll have to give up a lot more value than it would have cost you to fix the car I think. Sounds like $1,500 should square the car away, plus a good detailing. You can't get top dollar because of the high miles but if you try and sell a "broken" high mileage car you are going to suffer mightily in the market I think.

• Maybe this is a better board for my question than asking all the hosts. My question is, can anyone help with URL(s) for the complete factory/dealer parts catalogs for older model Toyotas?
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,138
    Might want to see posts 823-4 in "Nissan Altima Owners: Problems & Solutions."
This discussion has been closed.