Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Convertible

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    My local Audi dealer had about 4 of these on their front lawn today, so I couldn't resist.

This is first and foremost a very good-looking, well-crafted car. Those two things stand out right away. The CVT is kinda odd at first, but I got used to it after a few mins. The top's action is completely silent and the climate control automatically shuts off when you lower the top. Neat. This is "touring" car, much softer than the 330Ci droptop. Solid, calm, stylish is what this car is. The body structure is rigid and the tires do grip, but it's no sports car. The one I drove had everything, 47K (gulp). Nice car, but I'd like to see a 2.7t or S4 version.

M
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    Me too - but no doubt that would result in yet a bigger gulp...maybe 53-54K?
    Probably so, and only an "S4" version would be worth that much. Now if they'd bring in a 2.7t version for the price of the current 3.0 model they would have a real winner on their hands.

M
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,688
    hold on to your wallets.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• My local Audi dealer had ONE cabrio three weeks ago and let me take it for a LONG test drive. I currently own a Saab 9-3 Convertible and was seriously considering purchasing the new Audio A4 Cabrio, until I drove it.

What a lame duck!

My Saab is stick, and I want another manual. The salesman tried convincing me the tiptronic type auto would blow me away. It didn't. It was extremely slow in changing gears. I guess it is a good transmission if you like Buicks. I love my Saab, and was looking for a sporty vehicle. The new A4 Cabrio was also very slow. That V6 felt like my girlfriend's 1.8T Passat. The steering was way too soft. It is a beautiful car, inside and out, but the execution isn't there for my taste. However, if you like a boring drive, this car is for you.

I then drove the TT 6 Speed, what a thrill. However, it is only a two seater and I like a four seater, like my Saab. I think I'll wait another year until the all new 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible comes out. In fact, I suggest everyone to wait for the 2004 Saab if the Audi isn't to their liking.
    There are no "gears" to change on the A4 Cabrio. I wonder if you were just put off by the last of feeling a "shift" as in a traditional automatic. I too think Audi has made a mistake by forcing the CVT on everyone that wants a non-quattro Audi.

M
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    A journalist with a monthly women's magazine would like to speak to women who bought a convertible while in their 40s or 50s, and women who plan to buy a convertible when they enter that age range. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by November 12, 2002.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• 03a403a4 Posts: 3
    Hi all!

I chose an '03 A4 Cabrio last month, after checking out a number of coupes (SC 430, CLK 320, BMW 330i, Volvo's S70, and the G35) Amulet red, with black top/interior, with everything except Parktronic. The styling is understated, classic, elegance, an opinion verified by the number of admiring glances and unsolicited compliments, especially from valet parkers. Reminds me of the first few years I had my prior car, a '92 SC 300.

The ride is amazingly quiet - I've had no rippling at 80+ mph, and the smoothness of the transmission is a nice touch, although it takes a little getting used to. No defects with the car after 1,000 miles.

The Nav system is not as good as others I've used, but the placement of the screen in the middle of the instrument panel is better than those that are in the middle of the dash.

The sales experience was actually not bad, although I could not move them off MSRP, except to get the upgraded tires added at no charge- so maybe that's $500. The service experience at my dealer, however, has been a nightmare. To get the tires put on, as well as the front plate holder has required numerous calls and visits, with poor attitudes from the Service Manager. Maybe I was spoiled by Lexus, but in 10 years with 2 Lexus dealers, I never had anything but great treatment.

Anyway, I have nothing but a positive recommendation for the car.
  • I have an 02 Allroad and my wife is considering the Cabrio. Although, the A4 coupe which is coming mid year 03 might be nice as well. I agree the vehicles are awesome but the service is not. ENJOY!!!
    Interesting. What made you switch from Lexus to Audi? Secondly, what do you think about the A4's transmission. I test drove it and never really got comformtable with it.

M
  • Hey 03A4, I just picked up my A4 cab in amulet red yesterday! Except I have a beige interior (with black top). So far, I've only seen two others on the road, both black and three others in the dealerships, also black. I actually ordered mine in October, but it took a couple months to arrive. Did you order yours? Or did a wise dealer have the foresight to order this beautiful color. My dealer said he will now order more in red after seeing mine. Darn! I wanted to be the only one on the road (you don't happen to live in SoCal, do you???).

Anyway, one full day's of ownership is not enough to give a balanced opinion. But I am very happy with this car. It's as cute as a button and performs exactly how I want. And I don't know why every one says the CVT takes getting used to. It's like buttah, like silk. Oh yeah, that's odd!

Enjoy!
    penny
  • 03a403a4 Posts: 3
    I switched from Lexus because I didn't like the styling of the SC 430, and it's overpriced at 62K. I was looking for a stylish 2 door for city driving in Chicago weather. I actually Liked the CLK 320, but itr was a 3 month wait and I didn't want to wait. Also, the interior has a lot of cheap-looking features, and the model I test-drove had a number of obvious defects. The G35 was too tight for my height, and the A4 was just arrived on the showroom floor, had the options I wanted, and I could take it home that day. It was the only cabrio they had, and I've only seen 1 other on the road here in the last 2 months.

I do like the transmission. It does take getting used to because you don't experience the shift points that cue you to stomp on, or ease off, the accelerator. I can still leave rubber from a stop line, but I have yet to experience that feeling of a surge of power when trying to accelerate from 60 to 80. I'm still playing around with the Tiptronic options, and have not had enough experience with them to tell if they really make a difference. Also, we haven't had any real snow here yet to determine how it handles winter driving.

The CVT adds to the smooth and quiet ride, but does rob some of the quickness of other transmissions. The alleged fuel efficiency is not anything to sell the feature - it's negligible at best.

I think that the A4 is one of the best models available as far as a combination of style, value, performance, and quality, even though it may not be first in any one of those categories. When you limit the comparison to convertibles, it's hard to find anything that is clearly better in that combination of factors.

By the way, the upgraded Bose system is definitely worth the cost.
  • looking to buy the a4 1.8 with the premium package. not looking for a super sport car, so i think the 1.8 is enough for me. is the ride smoother without the sport package? anyone have service problems in south florida? thanks for any info
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Where in south fl are u? If you are in the palm beach county area, my mom has had very good luck with Braman motorcars. They treat her like a queen and have always been very responsive to her concerns and maintenance needs. They also gave her a good deal. She loves her 01 A4 1.8 sport package.
    I think a firm suspension is a bad idea on a convertible. Convertibles are more prone to body flex and a firmer suspension can lead to more rattles and squeaks and more vibrations felt by the driver. Test drive one without the sport suspension and see if you are fine with its handling. I can tell you that Audi's sport suspensions are not smooth riding.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    on the sport suspension on a convertable for the same reason. Rattles will certainally be coming sooner. A convert is inherently floppier as it is.
    i do think the Audi is one of the nicer ones on the market,though.
  • thanks i am pretty close to palm beach. i'll give them a buzz. by the way, how is the resale of the a4? i am debating on whether to buy or lease. i usually hold a car for about three or four years, but with the lease prices, it may pay to buy the car. thanks
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Audis hold their value quite well. I wouldn't worry about resale value at all.
  • anyone purchase a 1.8 cabrio out there? i am looking to buy, and looking for any info, pro or con. thanks kevin
    I think this is a good bet as to how Audi's A4 Coupe will look:

http://www.audiworld.com/news/03/geneva/

Click on the Audi Nuvolari quattro.

M
  • I'm not sure if the above link will indicate the future of the Audi coupe. The beautiful coupe shown is a marvel in the automotive industry. The car will be very expensive to boot. Audi would have to tweak the idea considerably for it to be effective in the 2+2 GT market.

The Nuvolari concept looks as if it would compete with the Aston Martin's and the MB SLR!!!
  • stehersteher Posts: 37
    Here are some pics of my new Audi A4 Cabriolet 2.5 TDI. (163 hp, 310 Nm Torque, top-speed 142 mph).

Are there any other US-Audi-Cab-Drivers?
    Would like to hear some opinions.

http://hometown.aol.de/Steher8083/homepage/cabrio+klein2.jpg

http://hometown.aol.de/Steher8083/Cabrio+Heck.jpg

http://hometown.aol.de/Steher8083/Cabrio+Innen.jpg
    Nice! Vanilla leather huh?

M
  • stehersteher Posts: 37
    Tanks. The color is called Anis-yellow.
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    The styling seems to go right along with the convertible. What does everyone think about it?
  • ark67ark67 Posts: 1
    The dealer here in Atlanta tells me that the keyless entry remote can be programmed to operate the top, but that they can't do it for policy reasons. He indicated that the owners section of the Audi website provided instructions. I am curious about this feature. Has anybody done this?
  • scipio1scipio1 Posts: 142
    My wife and I went looking for a replacement for our 2001 330, and I went in with high hopes that the A4 cabrio would be a compelling alternative. My wife's been dying for a convertible ever since we bought my 2002 M3 cabrio, so off to the dealership we went.

I was really disappointed in the A4. For a 3.0 liter engine putting out 220 bhp, the car just sagged around like it was wading through knee-deep water. Clearly, they put too much weight on the car and it showed.

The CVT was neat, but failed to provide a satisfying experience even for an automatic tranny (my wife wants an automatic slushbox, even though I've been begging her not to give in to the Dark Side... five simple words, dear: six speed short throw manual).

On the bright side, the leather was nice, on par with my M3's nappa and the car seemed to be very well-behaved, if that's what you're looking for. My main complaint is that it lacked any sense of urgency or snap. It's not fair to compare anything less than an S4 to an M3, but my feeling was that the A4 cabrio is sedate even compared to a 325 cabrio much less the 330. Overall, I came away underwhelmed by the experience.

The final straw was the price. Fully equipped, it was comparably priced to a 330ci cabrio. For a large discount, I think we would have considered the Audi, but at those pricing levels it was a no-brainer. No offense, but the Audi is not a BMW, and asking the same for an A4 as a 330 seems ludicrous to me.

On the other hand, I came away thinking that the Audi probably makes more sense if you're looking for a sedate, well-mannered cruiser at a discount to a Mercedes cabrio. I think the CLKs are marvellous cars: pretty, elegant, well-mannered and superbly predictable luxury convertibles. On that comparison, I think you could come away with a favorable price/value basis and say the A4 cabrio has a better value proposition. Unfortunately, it's just not a compelling driver's car.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    the A4 convertible is a great addition to the import mid-priced droptop mix. right now you have a 3 series convertible or the aging Volvo or the Saab 9-3 in the same REAL price range - thats it.

if you want a 6 cylinder - it is the Audi or the BMW. and some people won't consider BMW for image reasons and lack of AWD/FWD. the Audi is the only game in town for some folks.

i personally think other car companies should be REQUIRED to copy the Audi interior schemes....:)
  • taylor35taylor35 Posts: 39
    The details are a 2003 A4 (1.8 L) v. a 2003 C70 HT. Both with low miles and in great shape. The C70 is priced $3000 more. We need to haul kids in the back (sometimes even teenagers)and will be doing mostly suburban driving. Thoughts?
  • scipio1scipio1 Posts: 142
    it's hard to say, because it depends on (1) mileage (2) options and (3) most importantly, what you want in a car.

The only thing I can add of value is a friend of mine has a Volvo, and has always owned them. He says his cars break down a TON, but he lives right by a volvo mechanic who he has a great personal relationship with, and that makes it workable for him.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    My wife is thinking about the VW New Beetle convertible. I convinced her a few weeks ago to go down to the dealer and test drive one. Unfortunately, the dealer didn't have one on the lot, so we walked next door to the Audi dealer to look at the TT Cabrio. Wife not sure about only 2 seats, so I direct her to an A4 convertible with the 1.8T engine. She likes the look, so we take a drive.

Like scipio1, we found it to be nice, but more of a cruiser. Unlike scipio1, that's sorta what we're looking for. The acceleration is adequate; better than my wife's current ride, a VW New Beetle with the 2.0L gas engine with a 5-speed. She was blown away by the construction of the interior, however. Way nicer than anything she's been in before. Evverything felt screwed together well and the switches moved with precision. The lining of the roof was nice; with the top up, it felt like a sedan. The totally automated roof was a nice feature; with the frequent summer t-storms we get, getting the roof up in a hurry can be quite important. Not a huge amount of room in the rear seat .. we have teenagers, and they would probably complain.

The price tag took my wife's breath away. Optioned with leather a couple of other things, it stickered at $38K. Tough to swallow for a 4 cylinder; almost impossible when you can get the same engine in the New Beetle Cabrio for over $10K less. And, you can get the NB with a stick, which is my wife's preference.

Bottom line: nice, but the spouse will want to drive the NB convertible first before making a final decision.