Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Convertible

Comments

• I recently bought an '06 A4 1.8 cab, now have only 1500 miles on it , and the "check engine" light won't turn off !

Dealer told me to tighten gas cap ... I did, but no help.

Then I took it to dealer, waited 2 hours while they worked on it. They said they got light off, but needed some "computer disc" to really fix the problem, and they'd call me when the Rep with the disc came to see them.

3 days after service the light is back on. I email dealer, and they say "Disc" WON'T cure problem , and they don't know WHAT it is, and "some time in the future they hope to get a Bulletin from Audi telling them HOW to fix problem"........ and I must keep driving and hoping the light is NOT on for some serious reason !

I'm amazed at such trouble from a NEW car. Never had such trouble with 3 BMWs , or Nissan , etc............. it's my first Audi, but will be my last if they don't fix the problem. Since Dealer can't ( Jim Ellis of Atlanta), I'm entering this POST HOPING CLAIRES or SOMEONE out there can help me.....................

The car is beautiful , but the engine light worries me. I'll appreciate ANY help ! Thanks , Scott
  • If I were you, I'd try to get what they said in writing. This way, if anything goes wrong with your cab, it is not because of your negligence. Think of it as an added insurance that they will be responsible for what happens because they can't fix it.
  • Are you referring to the Service!! indicator in the driver information display?? That can be reset by holding in the check button (wrench) while starting the car, and hitting the reset (0,0) once the display comes up.

However, I have had this problem also, with the Service!! indicator, and resetting only puts it off for 200 miles. I am told by one of the master mechanics at my dealership that they can "reprogram" the intervals that the computer uses during the reset, and assured me that could be done easily during my next service... soon. I'll let you know if it actually works.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Hi, Jagwag! I'm hopeful that you've been helped by burosky's and macmurdo's, suggestions. You can also ask the folks in the Check Engine Light discussion if they've heard anything about this problem.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I've always used premium, and now after 6000 miles of checking the mileage it's STILL BAD. I drive very cool as well, but it still averages 22-24 mpg. I've tried it with the top up, and no A/C, but it still won't get over 25 on the highway, at 70-75 moph and on cruse.
  • The server does not let me reply to ilight4u's msg, so I start a new thread:

I've just filled my gas tank: 16.2 g. for 384 miles => 23.7 mpg.

I have the 3.0 V6 2004 Cab. 14,500 miles

I believe I drove not more than 70 highway miles on this tank. Most of the miles: city: drop the son to school, go to the office, come back home, go to the grocery store ... so I drive the car for 5 to 10 minutes, most of the time less than 5 miles. I agree that there is not much traffic jam in Austin TX, but this is not conditions where the engine will be the most efficient (cold start, traffic lights and stops, ...).

I know it does not help, and that might make you mad. It sounds like I'm very lucky, I just want to share here.
    Another factor: the weather is very mild for the season in Austin (70* to 90* F), not cold at all, and cooler weather will "reduce" the mpg for such short trips.

Vincent
  • Hello to all. My 1995 Audi Cabrio makes a 3 to 4 second hum comming from the rear passenger side. This happens when the car is in motion or parked and does not happen all the time. By the time I get to the back and put my earto the quarter panel the hum stops. Anyone experiencing this?
    Thanks
  • I have a 2005 Audi Cabriolet and my top was recently slashed as part of a vehicle burglary/break-in while it was parked in my parking space in a condo garage. Though the alarm had been set the night before, I don't believe the alarm ever went off and I don't know whether it should have been tripped. This got me to wondering whether other convertible owners frequently leave their vehicle unlocked so that they can avoid a similar experience with their top.
    Where I live, it appears that the main problem is kids wanting to rummage thru the car and take things rather than trying to steal the car. What do you think? (I must admit I had some grocery bags with old clothes in the front seat area; maybe that was the draw to my car :cry: .)
  • jagwagjagwag Posts: 5
    Dear claires --- check engine light is still on , now at 4,000 miles . No help from other posts or chats........... please help me . Thanks
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    jagwag, try posting a question in the discussion I suggested earlier. The folks there are friendly and knowledgeable, and you're bound to get the help you're looking for.

"Check Engine" Light

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Have the dealer replace the "mass oxygen sensor".
  • marleybarr, did you have my same problem , and that was your solution? Thanks for your help & info .
  • Hi, I have just installed my Sony CD Changer in my glove box, which I had to remove to complete the task.
    Having put everything back together and tested it to check all was well, I called it a day.

However, the next day when I went to leave home, I have a warning that my centre break light has failed. I have checked the other break lights and they are working fine.

So,

Q1. Could I have disturbed a connector behind the glove box which has caused this failure, or is it just a coincidence ?

I don't really want to go to back to my dealer until I'm sure it is nothing I've done.

Q2. I can't see how to remove the lens to check the bulbs / LED's anyone know how ?

Regards, Dave.
  • don47don47 Posts: 1
    Just a quick question. I am considering buying a 2003 A4 3.0 convertible. In one word would you recommend this car? Thanks
  • albellalbell Posts: 185
    Hi All:

Will be taking delivery of a CPO 04 3.0 FWD cabriolet on Wednesday. Looking forward to owning my first Audi. Will be replacing my 325i convertible. Was quite impressed with the spaciousness vs the BMW, among other things.

Any quirks with the cab that I should be aware of? Not issues or problems, just everyday experiences with the car.

Thanks.
  • mikeebearmikeebear Posts: 13
    After looking at bunches of cars to buy, including the bmw z4, bmw 325ci convertible, volvo c70, saab 9-3, slk 280, and of course, the audi a4 cabriolet, I have HUGE complaints with the audi.

The car is so over-priced. It doesn't come with ANY convenience features virtually, it doesn't have any standard features you couldn't find in a toyota or a honda, and worst of all, it doesn't even have a big engine. What is it that you'd be paying 37,000+ for? What junk! Even BMW which compromises on luxury a bit for a sportier car and a luxurious brand name gives you much more than an audi a4 cabriolet provides.

I don't understand this. I love how the car looks and I was so excited to test drive it, but I am sadly disappointed.

Audi is just recently emerging as a top make and I don't feel as if it should really be pricing its cars higher based on its brand name or something.

Someone give me some positives to look at here! The only cars I've seen worse than this are porsches and ferraris!
  • gollamgollam Posts: 29
    anyone know if audi is planning on a A5 coupe?..if so, when?...thanks
  • yaffiyaffi Posts: 18
    Hi,

I have a 2003 Sebring Covertible which I have enjoyed and want to trade it in while I am at break even and before I have to start pouring money into it. 2 weeks after the warantee was over Dec.31st, I had to replace two window motors, a week apart. I know there is appro. another 700.00 in maintenace repairs I must do, I forgot exactly what. The car has only 32,400 miles on it, I also put new michelin tires on it about this year. I looked at the Solara and quite honestly tho I know that toyota makes a great car, I am not so crazy about the bigness of it or the ride for a convertible. I prefer to be more solidly on the road and to feel it under me. the Solara flies. Also there just seems to me to be so much huge plastic body on it without moldings, and seems a bit clutzy. I like the idea of reliability and a new car..however, I like more the audi cabriolet, which I am considering. Here are my questions.

1. They will give me approx. 11,000. for my Sebring and thier car 2003 Beautiful condition, with 37000 miles, approx the same price as new toyota solara. I am concerned about the warranty and repairs. It is the 3 litre rather than the turbo engine, I saw a turbo engine too, a bit newer, less mileage, the ride seems to me because of its hestitancy on start up to have a trani problem!! I have been told by salesman that is the ride. What is this engine like? Is it worth buying or problems??
    And how much problems and money would I expect to pay for the 2004 with 14,000 miles on it tho it LOOKS brand new.
    Thanks..I don't want to have exorbitant maintenance and repair bills.
    ????????
    Hi,

I have a 2003 Sebring Covertible which I have enjoyed and want to trade it in while I am at break even and before I have to start pouring money into it. 2 weeks after the warantee was over Dec.31st, I had to replace two window motors, a week apart. I know there is appro. another 700.00 in maintenace repairs I must do, I forgot exactly what. The car has only 32,400 miles on it, I also put new michelin tires on it about this year. I looked at the Solara and quite honestly tho I know that toyota makes a great car, I am not so crazy about the bigness of it or the ride for a convertible. I prefer to be more solidly on the road and to feel it under me. the Solara flies. Also there just seems to me to be so much huge plastic body on it without moldings, and seems a bit clutzy. I like the idea of reliability and a new car..however, I like more the audi cabriolet, which I am considering. Here are my questions.

1. They will give me approx. 11,000. for my Sebring and thier car 2003 Beautiful condition, with 37000 miles, approx the same price as new toyota solara. I am concerned about the warranty and repairs. It is the 3 litre rather than the turbo engine, I saw a turbo engine too, a bit newer, less mileage, the ride seems to me because of its hestitancy on start up to have a trani problem!! I have been told by salesman that is the ride. What is this engine like? Is it worth buying or problems??
    And how much problems and money would I expect to pay for the 2003 with 37,000 miles on it tho it LOOKS brand new.
    Thanks..
    ????????
    oops meant to say a 2004 or 5 with 14,000 miles on it..I found another to look it.
  • jc112jc112 Posts: 6
    I would go with 2005. The later models seems to have had more issues than the later cabs. Resale on 05 with 14000 looks to go for 30+ depends on the model 1.8 or 3.0 with quattro...happy hunting....its a great car...i was also thinking about buying an older cab but leased a new 2006 instead..the price was a bit better.
    You said the later models seem to have had more issues>>do you mean the earlier?? I have heard mixed reviews on the l.8 I am totally confused..what is 4 cylinder? is that l.8? I saw one with l.8 for 34,000..with 14,000. is that a good car, and a good deal with l.8..is that reliable engine??
    It seems that the V6 drives easier..
    My brother swears by bmw..and i have no experience with german cars at all, so I am in the dark.can use all the help I can get..thanks.
  • jc112jc112 Posts: 6
    Opps sorry about that...earlier yes. Its the 4th my brain is on vacation. 1.8 is the 4 cyl yes. Depends on how the engine was run and if it was maintained. Try to get a carfax report. Ive driven the V6 and opted for the 1.8 since I felt it ran roughly the same, the V6 just drank more gas.... with gas prices the way it is...I dont want to pay big gas prices if I can help it..

BMW is great...the 3 series is the standard. But BMW is no longer made in German. Mostly Africa. Audi still built in Germany....it really just depends on your taste and of course your budget.

34000 with 14000 miles sounds right...just check on the cars history. Im sure you can haggle still.
  • a4sfa4sf Posts: 11
    Hi,
    My 2003 A4 Cab is approaching the end of the manufacturer's warranty. I asked my dealer about an extended warranty and he offered one for 4 years/100k for about $2900, which is their premium package including most things in the vehicle. The insurance can be used any any repair shop and there's a $100 deductible, which my dealer claims they will waive.

I know there's a markup for these things, so i have 2 questions.
    1) is the extended warranty worth it? should i just gamble that over the next 3-4 years, my vehicle will have less than 3k in repairs? (of course, not all repairs are covered by the warranty such as wear and tear and exhaust components, etc)

and 2) is there a way to get a better rate?

Thanks in advance.
  • buroskyburosky Posts: 89
    If I were you, I'd just keep my $2900 and place it in a "car repairs" bank account. No different from a regular savings account that is designated for car repairs. I would even try to add a little to it monthly say $50. Then I don't have to worry about where to get the money for repairs and I don't have to check what is covered or not. Best of all, if after 3-4 years if I don't use it for repairs and I decide to replace the car I can use it the money in the account towards a purchase or lease.

This is just me. I think it is a bigger gamble to buy the warranty. The way I look at it, it's almost a "no win" situation. If the car doesn't break down (although you would prefer this) you lose your $2900. If the car breaks down (although the warranty hopefully covers the repair) you really didn't want this to happen. Worst, if the repair isn't covered.

I don't have anything against warranties. In certain instances they make sense. Just my personal opinion.
  • herro91herro91 Posts: 10
    Hi,

I'm considering leasing an A4 cabriolet - wondering what prices have been paid out there.

Thx
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    A good place to check would be the Audi A4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• The 2007 A4 Cab base prices have been released. 2.0 T Frontrak starts at 39,100 (1,760 increase of base price :( ) and the quattro at $41,200. The 3.2 V6 starts at $46,950. Add $720 dest chagre to all.

No info on packages or option pricing.
  • I just purchase a beautiful 2004 A4 1.8 Turbo Cab. It has 17 inch Yokahama tires. during my test drive, prior to it's purchase, I drove it on the interstate and some secondary roads and found it drove very nicely with some shake when the car hit imperfections in the road surface. At the time I just attributed this to the type of car I was driving, ( I had been driving a comfy 2003 lexus ES300), a convertible sports sedan. The problem/question, I have now found that the car ride seems unforgiving on not so perfect city streets and highways and will sometime pitch and roll rather badly jostling me and my not so happy spouse around. I think I may have purchased a Cab with sports suspension. If so, Is the ride for cars configured this way always going to be this rough? Is their a reasonable solution to fix this? I really like the car and trust me after trading five cars in five years, my wife will kill me if I even talk of getting rid of this one.. Help please. Your suggestions are welcomed. Please note; I probably would have brought the car anyway. It's darn good looking and I can live with it's imperfections. besides it behave great on the open road.

Thanks
  • jeep53jeep53 Posts: 49
    I just had a comment and a question. I bought my Audi A4 convertible a little less than a year ago. It's a really sharp looking car and overall it rides pretty nice. I have the 1.8 turbo. It really does turn heads. Unfortuately I bought the car mainly for my wife. Now she's decided it's not practicle and wants me to sell it and get her a compact sedan, e.g., Honda Civic or Mazda 3, etc.

I've been researching Kelly Blue Book and NADA and other websites to find out what I can expect to get for the car if I sell it myself. I know the dealers won't give me as much if I trade it in. I also noticed that car dealers are using a service called Black Book and they seem to be very low in their appraisals compared to Kelly and some others.

My question is does everyone out there think it is better to sell it myself using Kelly Blue Book and some of the others that are on the Internet? The car is in excellent condition. It has 57,000 miles on it and is very clean. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Steve
    (Jeepster53@aol.com)