Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Sedan

ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
The main page has a link to an early first look, and here's another link to more photographs and discussions.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=128418&page=1

Even more pictures at
http://www.km77.com/marcas/mazda/6_02/galeria.asp

I seriously think this will be the biggest competitor to the Camry and Accord, and if I were buying a car in this segment soon, the Mazda 6 would certainly be on the top of MY list!

I wish, though, that the V6 would have nothing to do with Ford's (relatively reliable, but still a Ford) Duratec 3.0l! Come on mazda, we know you can make your own nice 6-cylinder engine!

Comments

• maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    I just finished reading about the new Mazda 6, and I think it's the best birthday present I could have asked for!! Makes me glad today is my birthday. Anywaz, I am definately considering it, my postion of the top three cars I am considering has changed. It's now the New Altima, Mazda 6, or Toyota Camry SE. I have yet to see the new Accord, but I am considering it as well. This is going to be the toughest decision I have to make around this time next year. Remember all the fuse about the new Camry and Altima last year and earlier this year, now all I hear people talking about is the new Mazda 6, every car related forum has a topic about it. It's really a nice looking car, looks much better than the current Accord, which has looked dated to me since the 2000 model year, the Camry, the Galant(it still looks good though) and the new Altima(only slightly to me.)

I have been considering the new Altima since I saw spy pics of it last fall, and I waited and waited for it to debut, then when it did, it had that subpar interior design/material, I hope this car doesn't suffer with the same problem. If Nissan had giving the new Altima better material in the first place I would probably have one right now. Maybe they will next year.

Not only is the sedan a nice looking car, the hatchback and the wagon look pretty darn good as well. I really like the hatch, the yellow color is TIGHT!!

If any of you know of any mazda or mazda 626 related websites(outside of the ones on Edmunds) please post them for me, they would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Maxamillion
  • I think the sedan version bares some resemblance to the IS300. (C-piller, clear tailights)

As for the 220hpV6 I'm amazed that people complain about this being inferior horsepower. It wasn't long ago that people could only dream about 200hp on a midsize low priced sedan. I have a Galant V6 with 190hp and its very quick.

I sure as heck don't need a 240hp Altima. I'd rather spend the money on an upscale interior or other items that I want. Speaking of interiors, I've read that Mazda plan on making the 6's interior very Audiesque with upscale styling and materials. That would be a big selling point for me. I'm in the market late next year and was thinking about the G35 or X-type, but I'd much rather spend less money and my assumption is we're looking at the low to mid 20's for the "6".

If the car looks right in person and the interior is upscale it will get a serious look from me.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    screw the altima and camry.

Protege style! and attitude!

More room and storage.

(No flames please) Rock solid Duratec motor. Powerful 4 cylinder also.

Its too bad its not on sale here for a year. I want one now!
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    dash looks too much like a chrysler.

why can't they duplicate the dash of the protege, except a bit larger?
    Were did you read the information on the interior, any pics of it?
    Thanks in advance
  • I think the sedan version bares some resemblance to the IS300. (C-piller, clear tailights)

As for the 220hpV6 I'm amazed that people complain about this being inferior horsepower. It wasn't long ago that people could only dream about 200hp on a midsize low priced sedan. I have a Galant V6 with 190hp and its very quick.

I sure as heck don't need a 240hp Altima. I'd rather spend the money on an upscale interior or other items that I want. Speaking of interiors, I've read that Mazda plan on making the 6's interior very Audiesque with upscale styling and materials. That would be a big selling point for me. I'm in the market late next year and was thinking about the G35 or X-type, but I'd much rather spend less money and my assumption is we're looking at the low to mid 20's for the "6".

If the car looks right in person and the interior is upscale it will get a serious look from me.
  • Read about the interiors some time ago when Mazda's chairman was previewing the new models of the next few years for the press. He mentioned Audi-like interiors.

No pictures but there is one interior shot in the second link on the first message of this thread.
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    I realize the new 6 is not a direct replacement for the Millenia. But having now seen pictures of it, and being 60 years old, my opinion is that Mazda has aimed it straight at much younger people. The exterior styling is great, and youthful. The titanium look of the console, does not appeal to me at all, nor does the overall scheme of the seats etc.

Congradulations Mazda, it appears to be a great replacement for the 626. But some of we old geezers are not going to be too pleased with the new themes. My new Millenia is much more to my liking.

The only problem I can see, is that with what you have done, you are eliminating the only models you have that appeal to the mature crowd.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I love it. Gorgeous. The hatch and especially the wagon, too.

I noticed something funny. The new Millenia looks like a 626 (I actually mistook one for a 626 last week), while the new 6 looks like the old Millenia, at least the headlights and front. Kind of funny swap, no?

No offense, but car makers are after younger and younger demographics nowadays. 18-25 year olds are trend-setters, so generally what they think it cool becomes cool, no matter how dorky it may seem to us.

I don't fall into that range of age, but I do like the sleek nose, the swooping C pillar, and even the jeweled tail lights. Get used to the look becaues it'll be more and more common.

I like the wagon the most. Offer AWD and the SUV market would collapse.

-juice
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    nothing is wrong with more HP. Mazda has always stayed on the conservative side, HP-wise. So has Nissan, until recently. Nissan has upped their HP, Mazda should have done the same.

Also, Mazda has been talking a lot about its rotary engine and about resurrectig RX, version 8 this time, with the rotary engine. So why do they stick a Ford Duratec V6 in this car that otherwise looks so good?

Ruski and my cars
    1996 supercharged Buick Riviera - 240HP, 280lbs*ft torque
    1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 240HP, 280lbs*ft torque
    1999 Chrysler 300M - 253HP, 255lbs*ft torque
  • lsclsc Posts: 210
    I guess Mazda has another new car they can zoom, zoom about.

The car looks very nice...i agree w/ everyone here. Is it based on a new chassis? what kind of suspension setup will it have? Let's not get too excited about every new car that we see.
  • I always been a Mazda fan. I love there handling, style and powertrains. I just wasn't crazy about the current generation 626 when it was introduced. It forced me to buy a Chevy Malibu. However we do own a 1991 626 which is a blast after all these years to drive spiritly. This car resembles a mid 90's overseas market Mazda Eunos 500 which was based on a 626. I think I will jump all over this once it debuts. Watch out Altima on the styling front!!! If weights not a problem, hopefully speed and power will compare to the Altima also. Camry is out of the picture here, its still to lackluster for me.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I thought the Altima looked hot, but its interior is disappointing and its too big for my tastes. This new 6 is perfect! Sporty looks, nice interior from what I can tell, powerful four banger, and not too big. I'm glad Mazda decided to go back to its sporty roots and offer something different from the blandmobiles. I'm also glad they didn't go the route of the Altima sizewise. The 6 can snatch up the marketshare left by the old Altima which sold reasonably well. There are a lot of people who like the size of the current Altima and 626, but with most cars getting bigger, there is a large gap forming that should help generate a nice niche market for the 6. I have one request: MAZDA WILL YOU PLEASE PLEASE SEND OVER THE 5 DOOR HATCHBACK??? I think it looks better than the sedan and offers a unique option in the mid-size segment, along with better cargo carrying ability. Anyone else prefer the hatch over the sedan? If so, make your voices heard in the slim chance that Mazda is watching these boards and decides there is a market for it. The only "what were they thinking?" I don't get is the new name. Just the number 6 is rather stupid; they should have given the car a real name.
  • danny25danny25 Posts: 119
    Did anyone notice the slot in the gated shifter for the sportshift mode?

http://www.km77.com/marcas/mazda/6_02/gra/3.jpg
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    No - I didn't notice it when i first saw it, but I'm sure people will appreciate that feature. This will probably be the first family sedan (oh, the Passat beat it to th gates) with a manumatic.

Not that it matters to me, my next car will be a manual - but that does look like another feature that will draw buyers to the 6!

Go Mazda!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Mazda did up the horsepower. From 170hp to a whopping 219hp, a huge increase.

Remember this is a light car, and any more power is going to result in nasty torque steer (which is the Altima's Achilles' Heel). I think even at this level of power it should have AWD, with FWD only on the 4 banger.

I like the hatch, but the wagon's even better.

-juice
    I don't know why, but I prefer the Hatchback to the sedan, it looks better. I really don't care about which model I get, I just want them to bring it over here!!!
  • himomerhimomer Posts: 59
    Did anyone notice the rectangular cut-out on the top of the dash? I wonder if it is a flip up navi screen!
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Try the Sonata/Optima. Bring on that yellow hatch, however.
    Which has been here since 1998, and has been in Europe since 1997. The Sonata/Optima haven't had it quite as long as the Passat.