Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Chrysler's Auto-Stick allows to start in 2nd gear. And even in 3rd. Literally you can bump it into 2nd and 3rd while standing still.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Does anyone know the actual difference in the weight of the 2.3L and 3.0L engines? I'm not talking about the difference in the weights of the cars (I know it's 201 lbs.), just the engine itself.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    To mirror someone else's sentiments over in the Accord room ...

If you are considering a 6 make sure you test drive an Accord before signing on the dotted line. But obviously people are already considering the Accord without any outside influence.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    So you are here to "save" us from buying the 6. Thanks for being so thoughtful! I hope it doesn't shake your confidence in your decision to buy the Accord if some of us buy the 6 anyway. Don't worry, there will still be 399000+ others who made the same decision you did, so you can still be confident it was the right decision! ;)
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I'm not here to save anyone from anything. Since someone saw fit to come in the Accord room and say we should all look at the 6 before buying one I only thought it fair to provide the same service to people in the Mazda 6 room. I wouldn't want anyone to make a $20,000+ mistake just because they don't know about the Accord :)
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    ... since a 6 fan decided to try to "save" people from buying the Accord in the Accord forum. Seems like a fair exchange.
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    Test drove a 6i with manumatic and was pleasntly surprised by the lack of road noise compared to
    our Doubleought Freeport.Thicker floor and firewall?
    Was not impressed with the 3 gears then D to choose
    from.I'll stick with the left-leg flexor.Would like to drive a 6 with a clutch.I was also impressed what
    additional 30 ponies could produce Zoom/Zoom!
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    From the special AUTO SHOW PREVIEW section in the Sunday, January 26 Grand Rapids Press (bolding mine):

The mid-sized Mazda6 sedan/wagon/hatchback, replacements for the long-standing 626 and Millenia, will be available beginning later in the year in three separate versions: four-door sedan (first to arrive); five-door hatchback (spring); and five-door wagon (about a year away). The new "6" is noticeably larger and more aggressive looking than the outgoing 626, while the use of front and rear double-wishbone suspensions is designed to provide a sporty posture. Once inside, you'll find titanium trim and chrome accents surrounding the dials and gauges. Wagon and hatchback will arrive with a 60/40 split rear seat back that will fold to leave a completely flat loading floor. A 160-horsepower four-cylinder and a 220-horsepower 3.0-liter V6 will provide forward motivation.

This was written by a Jason Stein from WHEELBASE COMMUNICATIONS. It is in preparation for the Michigan International Auto Show to be held in Grand Rapids January 30-February 2 at the Grand Center.

Hmmmmmmm....wonder how accurate his info is? Hopefully VERY - then I won't have to wait a year for the hatchback!!
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Well I suggested to someone they should look at the 5spd V6 6 when shopping b/w the Passat V6 w/MT and Accord V6 w/AT.

The person said Ford=Mazda and that we all know how Mazdas are not as realiable as Honda and Toyota. This is where it's at.

Annon and Talon were simply doing a favour, pointing out the Accord to people that might chose the 6, just like I did in the other room. The only difference is that that potential Accord buyer wasn't going to look at the 6 b/c of the all too commom equation, us mathematicians are faced with: Mazda=Ford, therefore...

Dinu
    jstein@wheelbasecom.com

Asked him Can you tell me how accurate this information is? Everything I've seen or heard so far about the Hatchback is either Fall or Winter release in the States - about a year from now.

I'll report back if/when he responds.
  • barrysobarryso Member Posts: 66
    I drove the Accord 4cyl and the Mazda6 4cyl with a stick. The Mazda and Honda dealers were within miles of each other so it was a fair contest (same local roads, same highway, same weather, same day).

Accord
    The Accord has a better engine. It revs nicely AND it has some low end torque ... enough torque to prevent you from rowing the gears constantly. The Accord at 2500 rpm can get out of its own way but the Mazda wouldn't do it until the mid 30's.

The transmission on the Accord is slicker, too. The shifter is precise and the clutch is the stuff of Honda legend.

At highway speed the engine rpm's aren't as high as the Mazda6 and yet the Accord's torque let you modulate the car without shifting.

Yet the ride on a rather miserable stretch of highway was ... miserable. Choppy and noisy were all I could think while going down the road. The idea of spending an extended day in the car was not appealing. This sort of took me by surprise because the reviews have all talked about how great the car is on the open road. Go figure.

Around town the car road well, handled well and was quite nice. I liked it.

Mazda6
    The 4cyl engine needs rpms to pull off its magic but is quite nice when it gets going. It'll rev like hell and is quite a bit of fun. Still, the Honda has it beat on low end grunt.

The transmission isn't quite as nice as the Honda but it is in the same league. The release of the clutch in 1st gear on the 4cyl is a little odd, as others have noted, but is something you'd get used to pretty quick.

The handling and ride is where Mazda puts the Honda to shame. The Mazda handles quicker, the steering wheel is more responsive and the 6 rides better, too. On the miserable stretch of highway the Mazda6 was reasonably tolerable. Road noise was there but it was of a different frequency and pitch than the Honda (and it didn't seem to grate on my nerves as much as it did in the Accord). You aren't going to mistaken the ride for a big yacht but it was a LOT better than the Honda. IMHO the Mazda would be the better car over a long haul.

I tested the Mazda6 with and without the 17" tires. If you prefer the 17" then get 'em and be happy. But the compromise of handling/noise/ride with the 16" tires is pure magic to me. Mazda really nailed the compromise between ride and handling nicely.

Around town the car was a hoot. It road well, handled great, was fairly quiet. It was also a lot of fun, sort of like a toy that begs to be played with. It just loves to rev and will handle curves like a winner.

Summary
    The Accord has a lot of strengths and is a damn fine car. If it was my only choice it'd be a good decision based on the drive, not to mention the resale value. When the test drive was over I kept thinking it was a nice car.

The Mazda won't have the resale value of the Honda. But when I was driving it I was smiling and laughing. I didn't want to bring it back into the dealership and end the demo. When the test drive was over I wanted to go back and drive it again.

Both are fine cars. Go test 'em both and see which one make you happy.
    You just nailed it - the 6 will make you smile when you drive it, while the Accord will get you there w/out any emotion.

Dinu
  • boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    mazdamarla--That's the first report I've heard giving the hatchback and wagon different release dates. Let's hope there's something to it!

ruski--That's cool. Do you know if any other manufacturers have that feature? In the manumatic Audi I drove, it started you in first, no matter what gear you selected (then again it was an AWD car, so snow wouldn't be much of a problem).
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "The Mazda won't have the resale value of the Honda."

That's not the case when comparing my Protege with a comparably priced Civic.
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Thursday evening I test drove the M6s and then had Friday off for a family funeral. I know it's sad, but I couldn't stop thinking about that car.
    (And I missed about 500 posts in this place!)
    I will be ordering this car today.
    The ride is solid and so much fun. The styling is nice (not over the top, not boring).
    Another family member owns the new Accord and just can't see why I would even think of a Mazda.
    How about sytle? How about not having the same damn car as everyone else on the road?
    And how about getting a V6 with tons of fun options for about $3000 less than they paid for a 4 banger?
    Okay, I won't go on about family arguments. But it was a doosy!
    By the way, my choice for a new car up until Thursday was the new Nissan Murano. I still really like that vehicle, but I can't afford it.
    A really good sporty sedan will be just the ticket.
    Have fun!
    Congrats!

Let us know how it drives once you break it in - after 1000 miles or so.

Dinu
    What did you get? What color? What transmission? What options? I have to live vicariously thru people such as yourself (Mazda 6 owners) for now, until I get mine! :D
  • ruefusruefus Member Posts: 254
    I'm sure that was a fun conversation.

Can't blame your family for not considering Mazda. Nobody else has for years.

Just wait until you pull up in the 6. They'll understand in short order. No, it may not be as fast or as completely refined as the Honda. But it IS a lot more fun to drive and not nearly as boring or ubiquitous as the Camcords of the world. Congrats.

I'm still waiting for my own 6s to be built and arrive. I'm told it'll be assembled sometime next week and shipped to the dealer shortly thereafter. I sure hope so. I'm SO sick of waiting.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The autostick will go all the way to first gear when you stop, automatically. Mine (Tiptronic) will also downshift automatically, even in manual mode, if your engine speed drops to a certain point. And it will upshift to prevent redlining the engine.
    I plan to go to another dealer and drive a 6i in the next week or so. I wanna compare how the handling is affected by the heavier (V6) engine compared to the 4. This makes a rather large difference in the car I have, I wanna see how it works out in the 6.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    In my Acura TL-S, the SportShift shifts automatically from 1 to 2, there is no manual control for that. And there is no way to bump it into 2 or 3 before the car starts moving. Also it does not upshift by itself at redline, instead it bounces off the rev limiter and the car jerks.

My Chrysler 300M allowed me to select 2 or 3 before the car started moving. Also the AutoStick upshifted on its own at redline.

I think I like Chrysler's logic better.

In Acura, it is easy to get carried away and forget to shift. The result is unpleasant jerking and a lost race :) Plus one needs to plan to upshift beforehand - it is still an automatic and will take some time to actually shift gears. Also Acura will not downshift into 3rd past 85mph. You need to slow down to 80mph, downshift, then 3rd will take you up to 100mph.
    I can see you selecting "2" before taking off, but not 3. No power there in a car with a 4-speed auto tranny. I usually bump right away to "2" when accelerating, unless I am looking to get up on someone next to me.

The TL-S seems to be more "manual" controlled than the 300M which makes sense. They are targeted at different types of drivers.
    Just got done getting quotes to see how much it will cost to add the Mazda6 to my insurance. I used the Accord as a reference since that is the most common automobile out there and everyone can use the numbers as a meaningful tool. Just so you know, I'm a 43 year old male with a clean driving record. Costs are for 1 year of coverage in southern New Jersey.

The numbers really surprised me.

4cyl
    ----
    Accord LX $1249
    Mazda6 $1260

OK, nothing surprising there except that the Mazda is competitive in its class.

6cyl
    ----
    Accord LX $1466 (automatic transmission)
    Mazda6 $1273

I was expecting the Mazda to be more expensive with both engines and was really shocked that the 6cyl Mazda is so close in cost to the 4cyl.

I've been leaning heavily towards the 4cyl because of mileage and insurance costs. Guess the decision just got tougher.
    That's just for the one car, right?

I called about rates on the 6 to my agent (State Farm). For full coverage with $500 collision deductible, $50 comprehensive, etc. it was $429 or something like that, for 6 months. So about $900 for a year.

BUT - that's including multi-car discount and multi-line discount, as we have our other 2 vehicles and our homeowners insurance all with SF also. I'm 35, husband is 38, no tickets.

And I thought the $429 quote was HIGH! I'm used to paying a bit over $200 on my current MX-6, and husband's full coverage on his '99 Silverado is $350ish for 6 months. I couldn't believe how much it'd be for a brand new Mazda6!

Do you have other insurances with your agent to get discounts? Or is that price including discounts?
    I have a call in to my auto broker this morning. I am waiting to see what sort of deal he can come up with for a Dark Grey, sports package M6s. (second choice red)
    When I checked with him on the Murano, he was able to quote be just below invoice... very nice.
    If he can do that for the M6, I'll place the order today.
    He only warned me that because it was a very new vehicle I might have to wait as much as a month, but if the price is good, I'm willing.
    I'll let you guys know what he comes up with.

As for comparisons to the Accord. I researched that heavily. I really can't see where a "driver" would pick the accord over the m6. Seems the only area where Honda beats M6 is in low-end torque. And like someone said... I don't plan to tow a boat with this thing!
    Also, I guess hwy gas mileage is better in the Accord.. but I tend toward a lead foot, so I usually screw myself in the Mpg no matter what car I'm driving.
    "Do you have other insurances with your agent to get discounts? Or is that price including discounts?"

Sadly, that is pretty reasonable for New Jersey. We have the highest insurance rates in the nation.

I'll look around for better prices before signing papers but I was really just fishing for overall differences between engines. It shows the 6cyl won't cost me more than the 4cyl for insurance. Not what I expected at all.

Just to make you really sick, the Acura CL Type S (with a stick) I looked at last year would have cost around $1700 per year to insure. I liked the CL but couldn't get past its tempid looks, aggressive clutch or the costs (insurance + premium fuel). It also has so much power that it is difficult to control yourself and keep it legal. Can you imagine what the insurance costs would jump to with a couple of tickets?
    I have not called on the M6 (we have Geiko) but they told me when I checked on the Murano that they base their price quotes purely on PRICE when a vehicle is brand new. Once the car has been out for a year or so, they re-do the numbers and take into account repair costs, stolen vehicles, etc...

At that time the rates may change. This might explain why the Honda/Mazda quotes were different, a V6 Accord is more expensive than the M6s.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    ...."As for comparisons to the Accord. I researched that heavily. I really can't see where a "driver" would pick the accord over the m6..."

All the research in the world isnt going to give you a real world example of actually driving both cars......So, Go down and drive both cars back to back...I think the Accord is a fine quality car but is somewhat dull and lacks something that you can only feel on the ride and drive. The mazda6 has a fun factor that Honda has never been able to find. We have an Acura franchise so I don't have anything personal agaisnt Honda.
    "I think the Accord is a fine quality car but is somewhat dull and lacks something that you can only feel on the ride and drive."

Amen.

"The mazda6 has a fun factor that Honda has never been able to find."

One of my cars is an '89 Civic hatchback. It has the smallest engine they made and a 5 speed. And it is an absolute hoot to drive.

Civics were fun years back. It seems Honda doesn't want that audience anymore. Pity.
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    I'm a 22 year old male in a redfire base Mazda6i. The cost for me was a few dollars under $1k per year, which is extremely cheap compared to some other quotes I had received. My going theory on this is that Mazdas aren't as popular, hence are stolen less.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    my 6i will hit 4,000 miles on the way home.

On the way back from snowboarding yesterday (was there something on TV? no lift lines) I noticed a small rattle. Checked the door pocket to find a screwdriver I had left there. After I took that out I noticed that the car is absolutely quiet and rattle free. Nice to know considering another posters experience with rattles in another make.
    and the Alarm Shock Sensor Upgrade?

Since the Mazda website is soooo explanatory. (rolling eyes)
    I am in the same state as you are (MD), but I live in Baltimore city. I also have one speeding ticket, and drive 25 miles one way to work (State Farm asked me that). My insurance is $2xx a MONTH oon my 02 Jetta 1.8T. It was about the same price on my 01 Protege ES when I had it. I have 200/500 comp/coll deductibles, 50/100/50 coverage, and house insurance with State Farm as well. I am 24 though, and my premium will be cut in half when i turn 25 in 5 months (thank God!).

Also, GEICO insurance uses used parts to fix cars when they are hit. My best friend works in claims statistics there, so I know that for a fact. Would never deal with GEICO because of that.
    The wheel locks keep people from stealing your wheels (or so they should). Someone actually broke a lock on my Jetta's wheel, and also stripped one of my lugbolts and damaged the wheel face itself. God, I need to move out of the city...

Alarm shock sensor "feels" if the car is banged, moved, hit, etc., and will go off if the sensor "feels" this. Worthwhile upgrade.
    Can you adjust the sensitivity of the Alarm Shock Sensor? What if the thing is blaring for an hour in the mall parking lot 'cause someone bumped your bumper while parking, etc.?
    I know on the Protege, you can adjust the sensitivity (MaltB?). It might be the same on the 6, but not sure.
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Thanks for your comments. In my calculation, I simply took the dyno curve of the MT and scale it by 0.95 to get that of the AT (e.g., hp at 2500 rpm = 50 and 47.5 for resp. MT and AT). If you know a more accurate way to model, please let me know.

As for the modeling of drum vs disk, you could visit the appropriate Edmunds discussion board. Over there, I wrote down few simple newtonian equations and showed that disk is superior to drum at high speed. I don't have impression there are many of counter arguments.

Bruno
  • sickasadogsickasadog Member Posts: 12
    anyone know the drag coefficient of the two vehicles are and whether the sports package on teh 6s makes any difference?

also, anyone know why teh 6i has a 1/2" wider tracks front & rear than the 6s?

lastly, anyone know where i can find the torque graph for the 6i and 6s? i'd like to know how much torque there is to work with at 3000 rpm.
    I should have also mentioned I'm recently married and now have USAA for insurance. They're tops. My daily commute is 4 miles one way.

Before USAA, I found State Farm to be excellent. I had a stereo stolen and they were practically looking for ways to give me more money. "There's a mark, you are entitled to get that buffed out," when I could do this with my sleeve.

sickasadog:

- 90% of peak torque is available on the 4cyl engine from 1950 rpm, I've read. It doesn't feel this way until after the engine is broken in.

- There are dynos of the 6s on http://www.goonish.com/atenza/

- The 6i and 6s have different wheels standard, which probably accounts for the different track.

- The sports package adds drag (and wind noise), but decreases aerodynamic lift. It's only partially cosmetic- the front and rear spoilers are functional. Coefficient of drag is .30, if I remember correctly.
    Assuming 220 crank horsepower, that 6s's dyno shows a 21% driveline loss. Does that sound normal for a FWD car? Also, I think you read that figure about another car because I don't think the 2.3L makes 90% of peak torque at 1950 rpm.
    90% of the engine's torque available from 2000rpm

I swear I've seen 19xx rpm quoted somewhere as what was attained, but can't find it. In any event, it doesn't feel this way until after the engine has been broken in.

Drivetrain loss of 20% is normal for a FWD car, but the guy who ran this dyno put super high-grade fuel in his car. Not all engines respond well to this- in fact, most perform worse. I'd bet these numbers are a few horsepower shy of their actual results. Mazda's FWD MX-6 was reported to have a much lower drivetrain loss than this.
    I didn't know that. That's pretty impressive.
  • skyrayskyray Member Posts: 156
    Thanks to a my local dealer (who I really hope will deal enough to get my business), I've now driven a 6i automatic and both manual and automatic 6s versions.

And man, am I torn on what to get... I think I'm going to go for the 6s. I'm more a "have fun in the twisties" kind of guy, not a drag racer like some of the folks fixated on acceleration here, but with the minor price difference the 6s' extra power is nice.

But the transmission's a tough one. I own an automatic Miata of all things right now, and I can take or leave a stick. But that manual 6s was *sweet.* I thought the shifter felt great.

Yeah, the automatic has the manumatic feature, but I bet most people use that the first week and never touch it again...

Hmm....
    Even if the pleasure's the same, the manual still costs less. If you didn't desire a manual for your Miata, I won't try impressing upon you the importance of one in the '6.

Though, if you like the manual, you may then find the 4cyl suddenly has enough power. Then you're really saving some $$$. The 4cyl auto is a pretty poor combo, I agree.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    I have State Farm, too, and my agent quoted $419 bi-annually. At 72, one would think there would be lower premium difference. ABS didn't knock much off either.

I'm not ready to buy, just checked to see what SF had to say.

BTW, my Protegé's premium is $371 bi-annually.

fowler3
  • jason777jason777 Member Posts: 56
    I am really nervous but I just ordered the car after extensively testing lots of cars.

It was my fav pic.

Jason.
    This one was a Sport/Comfort Pkg. equipped 6i with automatic and cloth inside. The seat wasn't nearly as comfortable as the 6s in leather was to me. The seat hurt my back.

The car had 4 miles on it when I got in. I drove it on the highway a little bit, merging and taking a nice sharp off ramp. The handling was totally wonderful, even better than my Jetta with sport suspension (ouch, that hurt). :) The power was adequate, no more. It was at 60mph from a dead stop by the time the car dropped 2nd gear, not too bad for a 4cyl. I guess.

The coolest feature is the flip down seatbacks I think. I love being able to just pull the lever and have them drop down. I wish the 6 offered some other things though, like automatic locks, stability control, a center sunvisor, and rear headrests. Oh well...

Again, definitely recommend this car to anyone shopping for a Camcord. You will be totally impressed by it.
    Don't be nervous. Even if you don't like the car when you get it, I am sure your state has a law where you can take it back after 72 hours. I know MD does. That would be a last resort, but still available if you dislike something about the car that much.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    A car? Are you SURE?

Normally that applies only to door to door sales where the company solicited you first, you didn't call them, they called you.
    That rule is here in MD, as far as I know. Someone try to find a link on the net to it if you all can. I might be wrong, like I said, so don't quote me.