Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Cannot be compared to the U.S. There are many difference forces at work there. Taxes, fuel, insurance, parking, and expendable income are totally different in other countries.

Considering the highest number of this type of car (four door family sedan) sold is the 4 cyl. auto mid equipment level, it doesn't make sense to create a "custom order" program. Not even the mid-lux are totally a-la-carte on the options form.
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    Are there any comparable cars that can be had with leather but no moonroof? I checked Accord (no), Altima (no), Passat (no), and camry (yes). Any others?
  • Anyone in the Baltimore area, if you are looking for a Mazda, Russel Mazda is it. The people were friendly and my parents and I just loved the experience.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    I checked the Taurus/Sable, Galant, and Sonata.

The Taurus/Sable can be had with leather minus the moonroof. Although Ford requires you to opt for the 60/40 folding rear seat to get the leather and Merc requires a couple of small options as well. Pretty much everything else is a la carte though. Including SAB/SAC.

The Galant requires a moonroof with the leather too.

The Sonata can be had with leather minus the moonroof on the LX trim. Hyundai's packaging is actually quite nice. I never noticed that before.

Let's not forget about the Mazda3 which can be bought with leather and no moonroof.
    And I've heard you can actually get leather that's better than the factory stuff.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    that I have been looking at offer leather and SAB/SAC without requiring a moonroof; the Maxima and the new Chrysler 300. They both are just a few dollars more comparably equipped and offer more space and more headroom.

Requiring purchase of convenience or luxury items in order to get safety options may not be "idiotic", but it certainly makes no logical sense: and it is greedy!
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I guess you're going to have to start a new comparo thread then....

Maxima vs. Chrysler 300 vs. Ford Taurus....

but the Chrysler and Ford don't offer manuals and the Maxima costs more and looks like a hippopotumus.

See? We can't all win.
  • likaglovlikaglov Posts: 82
    I'm still adjusting to the AT in my Madza6s, it's been a couple of weeks, and I've been driving a MT for 12 years. It seems odd to me that the AT always goes to 5th gear, even if I'm only going 35-40 MPH. Once I stop accelerating (or push lightly on the pedal) it goes to 5th, with fairly low RPMs. Is this common for ATs? If I floor the accelerator, it downshifts for me, but I keep grabbing the manualmatic and doing it myself. If I'm driving in a 35 MPH zone, I'd rather be in 4th (or 3rd) so that I get instant response instead of waiting for it to decide to downshift. Is this just the "proactive" driving of a MT as described above?

Thanks for your responses. I do LOVE the car. Can't wait to get through break-in :-)
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    the 300 is RWD
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    forgot the new 300 was RWD. IMO, none of those cars are appealing. The Taurus looks OK, but it's a Taurus, and the new 300 and Maxima are just plain goofy.

Goofy or gorgeous? Obviously, I chose gorgeous with no SAB or leather.
    "forgot the new 300 was RWD"

I thought you were talking about the 300M. I guess you mean the 300C. Talk about confusing!

I wonder how the folks at the Chrysler assembly line keep them straight?! Oh, the possibilities. ;)

"but the Chrysler and Ford don't offer manuals"

That's exactly why I stayed away from the Taurus. If it and the Malibu offered manuals. and hopefully some kind of sport suspension, I might have taken them for a drive because you can't beat the price. Especially when you qualify for both manufacturer partner discount plans like I do.

Thank God for Mazda! I was't waitin' for the Futura either.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    "I thought you were talking about the 300M. I guess you mean the 300C. Talk about confusing!

I wonder how the folks at the Chrysler assembly line keep them straight?! Oh, the possibilities. ;)"

They don't have to. There is no more 300M. :)

BTW, I like the 300C. Very unique
    "They don't have to. There is no more 300M."

That's because the C ate it! :)

I thought the M and C overlapped a little? Not that it matters.

I like the idea of the C but I think they could have done a better job on the design. It's a little too cartoonish for me. I never did like the M very much. Too busy and too much chrome.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,430
    You can get the Passat with leather and no moonroof. You can actually get it just about anyway you want by placing a custom order.
  • ebeneben Posts: 26
    My best guess is that to add SAB/SAC the headliner has to be lowered to the point that putting in the moonroof just makes sense, i.e., there would still be a nearly equivalent loss of head room even without the moonroof.
  • buggywhipbuggywhip Posts: 188
    I went to my local Mazda dealer to buy a 6 today. Price quoted was $15k, for a stripped model (that still had all the 6 goodness). But a strange thing happened as I was walking thru the lot--I spied a leftover 2004 Olds Alero 5-speed coupe. My rational side took over (as always) and I landed the Alero for $12k, $3k less than the Mazda6. The Alero is NOT equal to the 6. But I also got a 5yr/50k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, which will be useful when the Alero (inevitably) goes bad on me. Query to Mazda6 fans and owners: Did I do the right thing?? I've been heartsick all day thinking it over.
    Aleros with the 5-speed are hard to find, as they didn't make too many and they aren't used in rental fleets. Incidently, I have a 2000 Alero 3.4L automatic and it's served me well over the last 4 years. Unfortunately your new car will depreciate faster than you can say "oldsmobile is history", and it doesn't have anywhere near the handling or road manners of the Mazda6. On the other hand, all new cars depreciate rapidly in the first years anyway. I am probably going to keep my Alero as a second car, for bad weather and for my job which takes me to some nasty remote locations on gravel roads and such.
    And why Mazda should make them standard equipment:
    http://www.iihs.org/video/si_forester.mp4
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    CR rating the Alero . . .
    What engine, 2.2L 4-cyc? It is a Saturn L-series engine. Interior has cheap feel. The front seats are low and not especially comfortable, and the rear is cramped for adults. Reliability has improved to average. Depreciation is very steep and crash-test results are not impressive. This is the last year for the Alero, so hefty discounts are the rule and a longer warranty has been in effect. Owner satisfaction is poor.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,760
    Mazda to Olds: sounds like you were wandering the back 40 acres at
    128 Ford/Mazda/Olds/Isuzu/Saab/Volvo!!
    Do you own an Alero or are you just echoing what you have read? Or do you just read CR and adopt their opinions? If you did, you probably wouldn't get a Mazda6 either. If you knew anything about the Alero you would know that the 5-speed only comes with the 2.2L Ecotec engine shared with the Saturn. Having owned one for 4 years (65000 miles) I'll say that while it doesn't even come close to comparing with the Mazda6, with the current steep discounts it's a pretty good value, and in my experience it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned. But, if the Mazda6 had been available when I got mine, I would have chosen it over the Alero without a second thought.
  • buggywhipbuggywhip Posts: 188
    Wow, robr2, you must be psychic. That's where I found my Alero!! HOW did you know that?? I had borrowed a car to drive to that dealer, I couldn't find a parking space in front so I drove around back and parked. As I walked around to the sales office, I saw a group of 5 or 6 2004 Aleros, lonely castaways of a dead nameplate. I anxiously checked each one for a stick (which is very very rare) and I was shocked to find one. I closed the deal in an hr. The dealer was quite friendly. They probably made decent $$$ on the deal, even at the cut-rate price I got. I guess we both went away happy..........Let me make it clear, however, that the Alero is woefully inferior to the 6. I didn't want to get the Alero over the 6 unless I could score a huge price savings. (As noted, I saved $3k.) This is an important issue and surely relevant to this message board, b/c Hyundai, Kia, and even Chevy are aggressively discounting their sedans; it's more competition for the 6. But the reality is, those cars (and my Olds) don't even approach the 6's excellence. But I wonder if people know that yet.......bigdadi118, I'm not defending my Alero, but my findings partly contradict your assertions. I think the front seats are actually too high, but they're comfy enough. The rear has plenty of room, I was surprised. I was also surprised at the good quality of the interior. Note, however, that I've never owned a foreign car, so perhaps my expectations are lower. You are right about the depreciation and mediocre crash tests. The engine needs more power but it's pretty quiet for a small four. Shift feel is excellent. BUT I'll always wish for a 6.
    I believe your 5-speed is a Getrag, so it's no slouch. I agree with your opinion on the seats and interior quality too. If I had the Alero 5-speed and didn't have a bug up my butt to get a new car, and a hatchback with SAB/SAC, I'd probably just drive the Alero for a couple more years. One hint, if you keep it until the stock tires wear out, get Michelins on it, you'll like it.
    My dealer is getting on in a silver 5-door with exactly the equipment I want. I thought I wanted blue, but not sure if I want to hunt around and wait a few more months to find one. I checked out the blue 5-door at another dealer and while it looks great in blue, the silver looks pretty good too. There are just too many silver cars on the road and the blue looks pretty cool to me. Any thoughts on these two colors? Anybody?
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Congrats on your new ride. No matter what anyone else says or what any magazine writes, you are the one who has to drive the car and pay for the car. If you happy with the car and the price you paid, that's what it's all about. As Terry says..."buy and drive what you like!"
    Congrats and I wish you many happy miles with your new "baby"!

The Sandman :-)
  • zc1zc1 Posts: 34
    I'm digging the silver. We picked up our silver 6 hatch 2 weeks ago and love it. Yes, there are a lot of silver cars out there, but none that look anything like the 6 (ok, maybe the 3), and the 6 definitely draws a lot of attention. Silver looks clean even when it's not and doesn't show scratches, swirls, etc. as easily as darker colours. The A, B and C pillars inside the car are grey regardless of what the exterior colour is, and I think that works in favour of the silver as well. If you get cloth seats then those are either grey or black and grey, again, working perfectly with a silver or grey exterior. Finally, the whole silver and black look just works for me. http://www.zonecoaster.com/Mz6Hatch/ for photos.
    Thanks for the photos and input. I like how the wheels match the body, it looks real clean!
    Both colors are awesome in my opinion. But Silver wins in the ease of maintenance dept. Dark blue has to be washed much more frequently.

My LS400 is white over silver. That's another nice color when it's done right.

My Equinox will be silver too when I get it next year.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    What year Civic SI do you have? I'm just curious thats all. Congratulations on welcoming a new member of your family by the way. I heard about that on the Protege board.

Getting back to cars yeah silver is easy to wash and take care of. My CL is silver. I thought it was the best color for that car. Car looks showroom new. I get it handwashed once each month. I had a toupe/gold color on my 626. That was easy to take care of too.
    We had two white 02's(one totalled at 1500 miles) and two 00 SI's in black and blue.

I'm adjusting to being a new dad. It's a great feeling. Glad I waited 34 years though.