Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    I have to admit that the price difference has made me stop and think about that more than once!
  • One thing to be aware of, though- there's a $2000 rebate and $1000 Mazda Financing Cash on the '05 6. That brings the price of a 6 i Sport in line with a 3 s. Just something to think about. But the 3 is just so much dang fun!
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    Any other manual V6 drivers out there care to comment? Was there an adjustment period, or is the 6s just not terribly responsive, particularly at the low end?

If you are REALLY worried about the low end for a V6, check out the Altima 3.5SE. The low end is VERY impressive, but the handling (or lack of it) and torque steer (PLENTY of that) turned me off, as well as the cheap-looking interior.

As far as the 6 is concerned, I've got the S with manual, and yes, the low end isn't very strong compared to the competition, but the car more than makes up for it in the mid-range and higher RPMs where it just hauls!! As a result, my driving style has changed slightly, holding the gears a little longer before upshifting, keeping the RPMs slightly higher during spirited driving, etc etc. During stop-n-go driving, it's not too bad, but highway driving is simply a blast!!

The Duratec V6 is known to develop slightly more power as the miles tack on. I guess you can say it matures with age and mileage. I've got close to 19K miles on my '04, and I've noticed an increase in both power and gas mileage since I bought it new. It's still making me smile... :)

Hope this helps your decision-making process.
    Yeah, anyone who has driven the Altima 3.5SE with MT can testify that you CAN have too much power to the front wheels. Everything's a trade-off.
  • I have 26,000 miles on my 2004 Mazda 6 and I'm about to get new tires. I have free tires and brakes for life from the dealership. Should I stay with the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's or should I try something else. (I'm looking at the Bridgestone Turenza LS-V's.)

Any reccomendations will be greatly appreciated.
    I'd definitely replace the Michelins in a heartbeat! I'm patiently waiting for my set to wear down, because there are MUCH BETTER choices for both the money and performance.

Since you have the deal with your dealer, make sure that you can replace the Michelins with a different tire other than the OEM, and that buying a different brand will NOT void your "free tires for life" deal.

If you can, The Bridgestone Turanza LS-V is a great choice for touring tires, with great grip in all conditions and a longer treadlife. I've heard nothing but great things about these tires.

If you want a more aggressive performance tire, I'd consider the Yokohama Avid V4S. Phenominal grip in wet and dry conditions, with a trade-off in slightly poorer snow traction and treadlife (since it is a performance tire). I had a set of Yoko's on my old car, and plan on using them on my 6 as soon as the Michelins give out on me.

If you want any more suggestions or ratings on tires, definitelty check out Tirerack.com. Good luck... :)
  • I'm shopping for a sedan and drove a Mazda6 V6 automatic today for the first time. My impressions were almost all very good except for some road noise while on the interstate at 70 mph. On another road at about 60 I wasn't aware of it, so maybe the road surface is the key factor.

I checked out my old Car & Driver (June 2004) and their long-term review of the Mazda6 makes a point of the road noise in an otherwise good review. So that makes me wonder.

Could any of you owners tell me if this has been an issue with you? Does it vary from road to road? Are there different tires that can be installed to lessen the noise? Or any other modifications?

I should add that I drove a 2005 model (which this dealer was offering at a $5,000 discount!!!), so maybe for 2006 Mazda has added some sound-deadening materials?

I want to keep this car on my list because the driving position was almost ideal for me, the car felt like a great fit, and gave a very connected feel while driving. I really couldn't find anything else to complain about -- it was a very enjoyable test drive.

Also, I apologize if this is an old subject -- I'm new to Mazda. My brother just bought a Miata, so he sparked my interest in the brand. Maybe someone could direct me to older posts, or just give a brief summary of this issue.

Thanks for any of your thoughts.
  • About a month ago my best friend bought an '05 Mazda6 s 4-door for almost $5000 under sticker. We went to Atlanta Motor Speedway today and I got to drive it approximately 50 miles each way. I had only driven it once before a short distance.

I noticed some road noise, but not enough to be a significant concern. The easiest solution is just to turn up the stereo a bit (make sure you opt for the BOSE system).

His car stickered for about $27.5k and he got it for $22,700. That included leather, Bose/moonroof and the 6-speed automatic. I don't think you'll regret getting an '05 right now with that huge discount. You might even be able to get them down a bit lower than the $5000 discount you mentioned.

Good luck!
  • One more thing I thought of- does the $5000 discount you mentioned include the $1000 available for financing thru Mazda Credit? If not, you should definitely consider that also.

Even if you don't want to finance thru them, you can initially go thru them to get the rebate and then finance thru another lender immediately.
  • No, the $1,000 financing discount wasn't included. That's a thought. The $5,000 consisted of about $2,000 off to get to an "employee price," then another $3,000 off that was labeled "customer cash" for a bottom line "family price" of a little over $20,000. If you add another $1,000 off for financing, that's $6,000 off. I'm a little surprised at that much discount without evening asking, on a car that gets good reviews. Sounds more like GM or Chrysler desperation discounting.

Went back this afternoon to browse the lot and discovered they have about 12 2005 Mazda6 models at this "family price." All of the V6 models have extra sport appearence stuff as standard, which adds sill extenders, a spoiler, etc., which I didn't care for. Maybe not too many others care for it, either, since they're all at a deep discount. They only have two 2006 models, and they didn't have a 2006 catalog yet. They're obviously really focusing on moving their 2005 models.

I noticed the console of the 2006 has been redesigned, with climate/audio controls that look like they would be easier to see and operate.

Thanks for the feedback on the road noise. Sounds like it wasn't an issue with you and your friend. That's reassuring, but I'll have to drive it some to see for sure. Hoping it doesn't amount to much.
  • fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    Slight road noise is a Mazda6 trait; mines an '04 and after a year I've gotten used to it. Some road surfaces make it more noticable, some it's not noticable at all. The driving attributes of the car far outweigh a little road noise, IMO; and so far this Mazda has been equal to the Accord it replaced in terms of reliability (0 problems). The Accord even had a rattle and a squeak that had to be fixed, where the Mazda is still tight so far. I'm willing to bet different tires might help a bit; the OEM Michelins are just OK, not great.
    I've got an '04, and comparatively speaking, the road noise is not bad at all, and it's quieter than my Grand Am. The tires do react differently on different surfaces. There's a part of my commute that's a little louder at speed, due to the pavement surface (asphalt that's been worn down for years and never resurfaced). It's nothing that my Bose can't take care of.

Don't know if the '06's have more sound insulation or not, but I'd recommend test-driving one, to see if you like it better or not.
    Road noise is all relative. If you drive a Mazda6 back-to-back with a Mazda3 on the same roads you will notice the difference, even though some think the Mazda3 is quiet enough. Also, since auto manufacturers have reduced engine noise a lot, now people tend to notice road noise more. I have driven the 06 and 06 Mazda6 back-to-back (same roads) and didn't notice a difference.
  • I do like the driving attributes of this car, so I may wind up being okay with the level of quietness it offers. Thanks for the feedback -- it's good to hear the car overall is a tight construction and that you like yours. My last three cars have been a Regal (very quiet, no rattles), a Camry (rattles), and now an Accord that is already on a replacement transmission but is otherwise a good car. I'm looking at the Mazda6 mainly because it seems a lot more fun to drive.
  • I've noticed the same thing in just about every car I've owned recently, that the road surface can make all the difference. The Mazda6 was quiet on a connector road, but a little loud on the Interstate. I just need to drive it more and get a better feel for it. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Must have been a typo -- you meant to say you've driven the 05 (you typed 06) and 06 models back-to-back? That would confirm that they've not done anything different in terms of sound-deadening materials.

I agree it's a relative matter. My brother got his Miata a few months ago and is having a blast with it, even though it has all kinds of noise his other cars never had. It's what he likes, the feedback from the car after working all day in a quiet office, plus the driving dynamics of the car and having the top down on a nice day.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Yeah, it was a typo, but you knew I meant to write "05 and 06". :shades:
    The 06 I drove was a 4-door 2.3L MT and the 05 was a 5-door 3.0L MT. I can't put my finger on it, but there WAS something that felt better on the 06. Maybe it's the new suspension bushings on the 06 model. That, and the new console design, made me think I'd like the 06 better (even though there are some serious rebates on the 05s). The redesigned door panels on the 06 are a lot nicer too. I think for zipping around town, a car like the Mazda3 would be fine, but the extra road noise of the Mazda3 could get irritating with a lot of freeway driving or on a long trip (I tend to favor the freeways when I have a choice). One thing I noticed was that in the Mazda6 on the freeway it was easy to have a conversation with the sales guy, while in the the Mazda3 I had to speak a little louder. No biggy if you drive alone with the stereo up loud, but something to consider if you drive with a spouse a lot, or date frequently. Seeing how I'm back in the dating game I gotta think about the latter. ;)
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Anyone have a chance to drive the Mercury Milan or Ford Fusion?? I would like to hear some feedback from those who are familiar with the Mazda6...
    I'd like to hear about that too. I have heard that they softened up the suspension, so that will make a nice topic of discussion. Since they don't offer the 3.0L with MT it's out for me, but I'm curious anyway.
    We sell all three so hopefully the customers like one of them... ;)

The big sister, the zephyer, is growing on me....
    Rich, you got it made ... :P

Now, how about this - a Fusion SVT with 3.0L engine, AWD, and 6-speed MT? Now that would get my attention.
    Rumor has it that the SVT will get a 3.5L version, soon to be also in the Five Hundred.

I've also heard that the 3.5L will be in the redesigned Mazda 6, coming in '07 or '08.
    You never know...Ford essentially SVT's everything they sell but only a select few make it to the showrooms. I was on a Ford junket that included a visit into the SVT area...It was amazing to see the stuff they get to play with...I think the success or failure of the MazdaSpeed6 will play a role in a future Fusion SVT.
  • fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    Since my spouse never shuts up while I'm driving, maybe I should always have her in the 6, to squelch some of the road noise,. On the other hand, naahhhh. :D
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    Rumor has it that the SVT will get a 3.5L version, soon to be also in the Five Hundred.

The one I've been hearing on the Fusion thread is that there will be an ST tuned Fusion with the Duratec35 making upwards of 245HP and the SVT version will be AWD with the MAZDASPEED Mazda6 DI turbo 4 with about 280 HP and lots of handling goodies.
  • xeoxeo Posts: 10
    For those of you out there with the 05 4 cyl - are you happy with the performance or do you wish that you had gone with the V6?
  • topgun7topgun7 Posts: 409
    Anyone drove the 06 with Nav yet? what is your impression. Any major improvement (spec look about the same except the nav) for handling and power delivery?
  • We have a 05 6i auto. What is enough is highly dependent on the user. I find that it is enough for daily driving. However, when you need to "punch it", there is noticeable lag when the trans tries to downshift. I suspect the M/T would work better with the 6i. I'm guessing the new A/T on the 2006 would also be better in this respect.

On the flip side, I do find the 6i lighter on its feet than the 6s. Better mileage is also a plus for the 6i. We are satisfied with the tradeoff.

Good luck,
    Phil
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "I'm a little surprised at that much discount without evening asking, on a car that gets good reviews. Sounds more like GM or Chrysler desperation discounting."

The discounting on the 6 is because the 6 doesn;t have as much as interior room as the its competitors such as the Accord, Camry, or Altima. I have to say Mazda nailed the 6 on the styling but they didn't put enough interior room in the car for the mid-size category. BTW, The Mazda 3 has been discounted alot less the MZ 6.

"I noticed the console of the 2006 has been redesigned, with climate/audio controls that look like they would be easier to see and operate."

Thats a good thing that the climate/audio controls have been revised for the 06 model year. I sat in an 04 MZ 6 ar an autoshows and the controls look kind of confusing to use.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    ...a ZOOM is always faster than a zepher, zephers are a light breeze. ;)

fowler3