Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    twinturbotim Nov 18, 2003 8:09am

" Im just concerned about the mechanical defects and longevity of mazdas. Thats why I am completely clueless on what to do"

The Protege/P5 has been outstanding! The 6 is (except for the rust issue which will/should be fixed by the time you're ready to buy). The MPV and Miata are good too. If you're looking at any of these cars you'll be fine reliability-wise.

But as everyone has said, unless you wanna pay more for insurance than for the car, get a used car. Seriously.

Dinu
  • Bridgestone Blizzaks - best by far. Used them for years. And, just because you have 17" tires does not mean you have to go back with same. In the US - Discount tire or Tire Rack can help you with a proper changeover size - but a proper 15" will work if you get the right load range a close to tire height.
    Down side - if it gets above 50 degrees, or almost always dry pavement - you will wear faster.
    The first 50% of this tire is a soft compound great for ICE!!! The tread after that is better than an all season - but you do lose the ice traction after that. Depending on your driving habits - I generally can get two winters out of a set - I just leave them on after March of the second year and finish wearing them out.
    I used them on a Ford Ranger the first time - 2wd, and went places the 4wds were stuck in. Two foot of snow and ice were just regular pavement.
    Cannot reccomend a tire more highly.
  • What mechanical defects are you referring to?

The staining issue gave me pause for all of about, oh, a minute before I continued along my purchase path of the 6s hatch. It's the sweetest ride available for the money, no doubt in my mind.
  • Bridgestone Blizzaks - best by far. Used them for years. And, just because you have 17" tires does not mean you have to go back with same. In the US - Discount tire or Tire Rack can help you with a proper changeover size - but a proper 15" will work if you get the right load range a close to tire height.
    Down side - if it gets above 50 degrees, or almost always dry pavement - you will wear faster.
    The first 50% of this tire is a soft compound great for ICE!!! The tread after that is better than an all season - but you do lose the ice traction after that. Depending on your driving habits - I generally can get two winters out of a set - I just leave them on after March of the second year and finish wearing them out.
    I used them on a Ford Ranger the first time - 2wd, and went places the 4wds were stuck in. Two foot of snow and ice were just regular pavement.
    Cannot reccomend a tire more highly.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    saw my first 6 hatch on the toll road/66 today. bright blue color, regular 16in alloys, with funny looking (IS300 style) taillights. didn't even notice it was the hatchback until i saw the rear window wiper, for real.

the pics online were much more impressive. the car had 30 day tags, but they wern't red, they were blue. usually here in VA the 30 day temp tags are red. perhaps blue temp tags are from MD or DC?

anyway, i didn't expect a hatch 6 until spring!
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    It could be a Euro-SPEC car that Mazda is showing to its dealers in secret. They did the same with the Mazda3 in Canada.

Dinu
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    because several years back, on the same road, there was a 626 wagon right next to me. and we NEVER got a 626 wagon here in the 90's as far as i can remember....

there are two Mazda dealers close to 66 and the toll road - Rosenthal Tysons and Rosenthal Arlington. maybe is was a "special" car as you mentioned....

they need to scrap those aftermarket looking taillights, and put the car in an elegant color. could be a hit out here in the burbs!
  • You guys got me to thinking about that. So I just called up my tire place and inquired about snow tires for my 6. I would be going from the Sport Package 17" to whatever they recommended. They recommended specifically the Bridgestone Blizzaks, 16" on a steel rim with hubcabs. Total cost installed $662.50. Said it wouldn't affect my odo/speedo much, if at all.
  • qddaveqddave Posts: 164
    Hate to sound like a broken record, but listen to the experience here, don't buy a new car. You gave many good points to support this, you have an overinflated ego, and you don't come from a family of excessive wealth. I'm 25, I bought my first car in Feb. 2002, a '99 Civic SE Sedan. It was my last year of university with no job prospects. I would have given my life for a 2002 Pro5, but I restrained and thought about the big picture. The "what-ifs"! What if I didn't get a job, now I'm stuck with payments for 5 years, which by the way would be the only way to afford one. Plus, because I'm locked in for 5 years, I would have ended up paying a ton of interest. That's just not finacially feasible. So, I bit the bullet and bought a dog of a car, but I knew I was getting a car that was in great shape, with some warranty left on it, should have been reliable (which it has been), and should hold some resale value. Well, guess what, I just payed off my 4 year loan two weeks ago, 1.5 years ahead of schedule, and it still runs like a dream. I added some mods, intake kit, new pioneer deck, leather wrap for the wheel and leather knob, and a set of 99-00 Si rims. It's way different than so many other SE/DX's on the road. It's slow, but it gets killer mileage and I get a sweet deal on insurance. And the most important thing, I don't owe anything on it. Trust me, you don't want to be the only one in your class that can't go out on friday because you have to save up to make car payments. go and get a 2002 Pro 5 or sedan, it's more than enough for a teenager.
  • Ive always wanted stickshift, but where I live, it snows a considerable amount sometimes. How does stick perform on ice and in snow? (Not to mention traffic jams, which its a pain)
  • I know this sounds messed up coming from a teenager, but im actually concerned about safety. The way I look at it, a few thousand is nothing in a lifetime, and you cant buy yourself back when your dead or maimed. The protege has a bad safety performance and this is still why I have my eyes on the 6. I dont know now whether about the s or i. I can afford insurance (of course with help) i just refuse to drive a civic and i dont know of many safer cars out there. Another thing is I dont want to get a used car. I know insurance is better and all, but im going to have this car past at least a 4 year college (so about 10+) years. I want something I can never get tired of (aka civic) and I want something with longevity. This is why I still think i should get the 6. If you want to try to persuade me otherwise I'll be on the Mazda Chat tonight
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    soemtimes sticks in snow are better. you have better control over what gear the car is in and the clutch allows easier power control to the wheels.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    That's news to me.

I live in Canada and have a stick and have never had a problem with it. I actually like it better...more control over what's going on, IMO.
  • 1wiseguy1wiseguy Posts: 120
    One of the big advantages to a stick is downshifting instead of hitting the brakes. This is crucial in snow/ice. Take it from a Canadian. You have a lot less control when using the brakes- especially if the traction is different at each of the wheels, which could cause a spin out. I know you can downshift an automatic, but reacting to a bad situation is often a function of instinct, and people who drive a standard are more likely to downshift since it's part of the driving routine. I know very few AT drivers who ever change gears.
  • In manual mode on the automatic, downshifting is pretty easy. However, you can't control it nearly as well as you can by slipping the clutch. In fact, the sudden downshift that the automatic does is probably as bad as using the brakes.
  • seafseaf Posts: 339
    It sounds like the car you're looking for twinturbotim. Mazda is known for making pretty reliable cars, right up there with Honda & Toyota. Just some bad associations with Ford cars in the past that have caused problems, mostly because they were ford vehicles rebadged as Mazdas, which not the case with the 6.

All this talk about snow tires and MT vs AT in the snow. Just drive slow in the snow, don't try anything stupid like going over a 2 foot high snow bank or taking an on/off-ramp at 55 mphs and you'll be fine. Most people drive too fast when it's slippery outside. Practice in a icy parking lot how a car handles when it looses traction and it can do a lot more for you than snow tires or 4WD will in terms of safety.

I've gone through my share of Minnesota winters, all on regular FWD cars with AT and all-season tires, never had any accidents. A few times stuck in snow (once every 2 winters), but mostly because the streets haven't been plowed in the morning yet, and those situations could've been avoided too if I had stopped to think before plowing ahead.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I live in Minnesota and I've had 7 cars, all of them manual transmission. Slowing down in snow and ice is definately easier with a stick. You don't even necessarily have to downshift, sometimes just letting off the gas until you're going slow enough to use the brakes is good.

I don't really downshift to slow down, I just let off the gas and then use the brakes. Compared to an automatic, I figure I've saved a a lot of brake pad and rotor wear by just letting off the gas and leaving it in gear when slowing down.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "Slowing down in snow and ice is definately easier with a stick."

You guys are great drivers, I found going over .5mph on black ice to be hazardous to my health.

I actually drove a stick for 12 years. You have more control in snow at the expense of inadvertently causing slippage.

But I never felt safer as I did with my 4WD. The 4wd will brake all wheels at once and 2 feet of snow never slowed me down.
  • What ever happened to a quick grab of the Emergency Brake followed by the loose condition powered out of with full lock at 5,000 RPM?

In fact, the stock 16" on my 6s actually handled a 6" snow storm up here on Monday with 40 mph winds quite nicely.

Mark. :)
  • qddaveqddave Posts: 164
    I too have a manual, and yes, I feel it is a great advantage in the snow. I also have Blizzaks, which helps. But Tim, in no way was I suggesting you buy a Civic. I don't think I'd ever recommend one to someone who dares post in the Mazda6 thread. In fact, the reason I'm so IN to Mazda is because of the first time I saw a Pro5. A year later, my girlfriend, now fiancé, was looking for a new car. She bought a 2002 Pro LX Auto, with a little helpful cross-shopping from yours truly. I would recommend this car to anyone. It's a hoot to drive.